Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not sure what you’re thinking but Wright is a hard pass. A guy who looks like that this far out form college is a huge red flag. Our defense requires the DL to stunt and penetrate gaps. We have no use for a 350 lb DT who can’t move. 

his tape looks pretty good.  I know he’s not coming here but to say yancy couldn’t make him a serviceable nose is ridiculous.  

15 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

You should probably quit posting after your third drink.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/8553611/Branard-Wright

Pretty good film, but Taylor Bible had pretty good film too. As other posters have pointed out, Wright is going to have reshape his body at position with a notoriously high bust rate. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

his tape looks pretty good.  I know he’s not coming here but to say yancy couldn’t make him a serviceable nose is ridiculous.  

He’s markedly heavier and less explosive in his junior film than his sophomore film. He’s not trending the right way and that picture is further proof. He’s a guy who will likely peak in HS and I’d take all the guys we’re currently recruiting/have offered over him. 

Wright is the type of guy late era Mack would’ve locked up after his sophomore year.

its not about Herman and Yancy. Wright is bigger and stronger than the guys he’s going up against. As he gets heavier and college OL are bigger and stronger, he’s not going to be very effective.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, futureman said:

really?  I thought he was supposed to be the dream 4i

Broughton can play both and so can Princely. I could see them using Broughton as a 4i and shifting to nose on passing downs. We’ll see though. Orlando wreaked havoc with Oliver at nose when a lot of other staffs might’ve put him at 4i at his size.

Just now, futureman said:

was the hudl from a few posts up his sophomore tape?  it looked good. 

His pinned hudl is sophomore film, which I like way better. If you watch the individual games from this year, he’s noticeably heavier and less explosive. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence he still Hs his sophomore film pinned a year and a half later.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not sure what you’re thinking but Wright is a hard pass. A guy who looks like that this far out form college is a huge red flag. Our defense requires the DL to stunt and penetrate gaps. We have no use for a 350 lb DT who can’t move. 

I know this is probably old, but 247 has him at 6-3 and 294lbs.  If this kid has a high motor with the quickness of a Poona, Yancy and the nutrition folks might be able to work wonders with Branard.  I'm sure that the Texas Staff will work hard to get this player's evaluation right.

https://247sports.com/Player/Branard-Wright-46037340/

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

His pinned hudl is sophomore film, which I like way better. If you watch the individual games from this year, he’s noticeably heavier and less explosive. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence he still Hs his sophomore film pinned a year and a half later.

well that is telling.  he did look good as a sophomore.  but a downward trajectory is not ideal. 

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I know this is probably old, but 247 has him at 6-3 and 294lbs.  If this kid has a high motor with the quickness of a Poona, Yancy and the nutrition folks might be able to work wonders with Branard.  I'm sure that the Texas Staff will work hard to get this player's evaluation right.

https://247sports.com/Player/Branard-Wright-46037340/

I can promise you that’s not his actual weight and he doesn’t have the quickness or motor of Poona. Thats like saying if RJ Orebo has the explosiveness of Kindle and the instincts of Derrick Johnson, then he should be a 5 star.

the staff has already got Wright’s eval correct. They haven’t offered yet while pursuing other top priorities hard for months now.  It isn’t that hard to figure out.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Broughton can play both and so can Princely. I could see them using Broughton as a 4i and shifting to nose on passing downs. We’ll see though. Orlando wreaked havoc with Oliver at nose when a lot of other staffs might’ve put him at 4i at his size.

I think Princely is the more likely spin down candidate based on athleticism. Both can stack a lot of weight on their frames, but Broughton really moves well and is taller. I think he stays outside, but we'll see. I think Broughton has Leal like potential. 

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Princely is the more likely spin down candidate based on athleticism. Both can stack a lot of weight on their frames, but Broughton really moves well and is taller. I think he stays outside, but we'll see. I think Broughton has Leal like potential. 

I agree, but I also wouldn’t have been surprised to see Leal play a decent amount of nose if he came here. Orlando wants his best DL at nose generally, assuming that DL is big enough to handle the position (i.e. not Omenihu in a regular basis). Guys like Leal and Broughton can easily play at 290-300. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I agree, but I also wouldn’t have been surprised to see Leal play a decent amount of nose if he came here. Orlando wants his best DL at nose generally, assuming that DL is big enough to handle the position (i.e. not Omenihu in a regular basis). Guys like Leal and Broughton can easily play at 290-300. 

Oh yeah, Broughton is going to play some nose on passing downs if he comes here. 

56 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Seems like it might have started earlier than that.  I'm sure that Herman knew that meeting with Nick Saban and Kirby Smart in Tuscaloosa just a few weeks after he left Columbus would piss off Urban Meyer.  Just as obviously Herman didn't give a crap.  That would be a very short window for Urban's envy of the credit being given to Herman souring a previously healthy relationship.

Just look at their personalities and egos I doubt they had a great personal relationship. But Herman really stole the show in 2014 and then piled it on in 2015 with his run at UH, tOSU fans loved him and thought he was a genius and wanted to bring him back and make him HC in waiting kinda like how OU and Reily were. That chapped Meyers ass and when he got a chance to knock Herman down a peg he did.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

He was the only one referred to by name with the appellation 'coach' in front of it. Riley got called Lincoln (after butchering it). USC's comment about coaches was just that they were disorganized. Oregon got a coaching staff is really amazing but no one mentioned by name. I like where we are. I see this being a Oregon/Texas battle that we have a pretty good shot at winning barring the two schools he mentioned entering the picture (Georgia, Clemson) causing some actual trouble.  That'll be 9.95

you know hes gonna pick Texas. Oregon is sparkly vampire country. you know he wants to come down here and work on his tan, right?

6 hours ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Little did Urbsy realize that cherry picking 5*'s out of Texas was going to be his demise.  If Meyer doesn't treat the state like his private playground and try to play the heavy daddy card & fuck with Mensa..  he's still at tOSU.

Getting Beck didn't hurt, but when Mensa put a few in Zach Smith's skull and took out Meyer's knees he sent them packing and  fractured the entire program.  This reality doesn't get nearly enough play...  it sure as fuck does in Columbus.

thats fucking beautiful, man

• Like 1

Justin Wells: Saturdays From DKR - Junior Day Notes

Texas did themselves a solid when they held Elite Day last month, hosting some of the state's best for 2020. They outdid themselves with another righteous crop of prospects rolling through the first evening of Junior Day Weekend. With Texas-exes BJ Johnson and Priest Holmes stopping by, and adding a Mookie to the class was icing on the cake.

Here's some quick hitters from a busy day on the 40 Acres.

- New Offers. Texas handed out four yesterday - Joshua Eaton, Ja'Tavion Sanders, Cody Jackson, and JJ Hester. Eaton was the most excited. The 6-foot-2 corner from Aldine MacArthur was overwhelmed when coach Washington extended him an offer. It's still early, but it put UT squarely in the driver's seat for his services. After UT coaches stopped by Denton Ryan last month, they loved what they saw in the 2021 DE, Sanders. All he had to do then was make the trip to Austin, and he did. Texas joined OU, Notre Dame, and others to offer the promising edge rusher. Jackson and Hester are both really good looking receivers who picked up offers too.

Jackson, 2021 from Richmond Foster, has elite potential to go with a good frame. Hearing OU has the early lead but it's still really early. Hester, 6-foot-3, 175, is a four-star wideout from Tulsa (OK), who holds 15 offers, including Georgia. Hester is interested in the Texas program and eager to see what all the buzz is about from below the Red River. He'd like to be back soon for the Spring game.

- 2021 Quarterbacks. With Hudson Card firmly entrenched as UT's 2020 signal-caller, the staff can now slightly shift to identifying the QB for the next class. Preston Stone (6-foot-2) is the clear-cut guy on the big board and Herman and Beck have done a tremendous job here. Texas made a great impression on Preston and his mother, but they weren't surprised. He doesn't have a decision timeline, he'll cut down his list of top schools soon, just know if he committed to Texas, you shouldn't be surprised either. JJ McCarthy made the long trip from Illinois and really liked what he saw. Really good, personable kid wanted to see weather outside of Chicago. He thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with Tim Beck and asking Sam Ehlinger and Roschon Johnson questions.

- Tidbits. Mookie Cooper said he came into this weekend with the idea of committing to Texas. That seed was actually planted last summer when Cooper took an unofficial to Austin he'll never forget. It was after that trip he'd told Marcus Washington (teammate and Texas signee) that he had to see Texas. So Washington took his advice, watched the Horns spank USC during his official, and fell in burnt orange love. When Marcus boarded the plane with Teryion, he was doing more than hanging with Mr. Cooper. He was making sure their long-term vision of becoming Longhorns was complete.

Higley (AZ) native Jason Harris and his family arrived late Friday and couldn't stop smiling after a day on campus. Harris is every bit of 6-foot-7, and basketball might on the table for the edge-rushing end. In hoops, Arizona, UCLA, and Arizona State have all offered. He didn't speak to Shaka Smart - he was beating Oklahoma State - but whatever sport he chooses, they'll be getting a plus+ level athlete with tons of potential.

Robert Wooten, of the Stafford Wootens, is good-looking prospect at 6-foot-3, 233. Texas likes him at B-Backer and his film proves he'd be up to the task. If UT decides to offer, this recruitment won't take long.

Tunmise Adeleye keeps growing. The 6-foot-4, 260-pound defensive linemen from Katy Tompkins looks like a grown-ass man. He's still a sophomore, btw. He's frequented Austin over the last nine months and has really started bonding with the players and coaches. He's a must-get in 2021.

Princely Umanmielen is another promising defensive line prospect that continues to show up in Austin. Living in Manor has its privileges. This is looking to be a Texas-Oklahoma battle for the 6-foot-4, 250-pounder from down the road. After yesterday, I'd give the Horns the slight edge. He'll attend the spring game in April.

Texas likes Myles Slusher (Broken Arrow, OK) at safety, like most schools. Nickel isn't out of the question for the UT offer either. Alabama, Oklahoma State, and LSU have offered the DB prospect, but Slusher admits UT has his interest.

Shadow Creek's Xavion Alford loved going in-depth with coach Naivar and the staff about how'd he be used in Austin. The fact that Orlando plays with six DBs at once really has his attention. LSU and A&M are the other two programs pushing hard for Alford's services. Probably for his versatility - he can play corner, nickel, or safety, in a pinch. No decision timeline here.

Kitan Crawford, the John Tyler athlete offered last week, made the trip and couldn't have been happier. At 6-foot-1, 190, the multi-sport star has been flying under the radar recently but that could change. UT likes him at corner and he's perfectly fine with that. "I'm a football player," said Crawford. "I'll play anywhere." He'll be big in the spring.

Tommy Brockermeyer is just unfair. He's one of the best 6-foot-6, 280-pound prospects I've ever seen. The Fort Worth All Saints product is still a sophomore. His older brother walked-on at Texas last fall, and despite the chance he'll be offered by every major program in America, the Longhorn legacy loves Texas, Herb Hand, and everything they have to offer.

Willowridge's Latrell Neville is noticeably larger. We me him last summer at the pool party event when he was barely 6-foot-1. Now, at 6-foot-3, 180, I see why half the country has offered the 2021 prospect. Good news; this kid loves Texas. Better news; he'll be back for the spring game. Ohio State and LSU are pushing.

Last, we met the kid from Texas High, whose Hudl I keep posting. Clayton Smith exceeded expectations at 6-foot-4, 215-220. This kid is a specimen. Texas went into detail about how they'd use the sophomore in its defensive scheme - B backer. He was thrilled. He'll be back. 

They'll host a handful of prospects today - Jahari Rogers, Landon Jackson, Savion Byrd - and wrap up o-line targets RJ Proctor and Willie Tyler's official visits this afternoon. We'll have much more over the next few days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

If for some reason we end up with Wright, it would be best to keep him away from Yancy. Then in goal line situations, we can use a timeout, golf cart him out and set him down over the center, and defend the rest of the field.

We better not end up with fucking Wright 

22 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Just look at their personalities and egos I doubt they had a great personal relationship. But Herman really stole the show in 2014 and then piled it on in 2015 with his run at UH, tOSU fans loved him and thought he was a genius and wanted to bring him back and make him HC in waiting kinda like how OU and Reily were. That chapped Meyers ass and when he got a chance to knock Herman down a peg he did.

Depends on which Urban Meyer we are talking about: the Type A, screaming coach foaming at the mouth?  Or the passive-aggressive, hypochondriac little bitch?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

aggy has been optimistic about their program for decades.  I wanna win conference championships and get into the playoff.  that would be special and we’re not there yet. 

Hey!  Who would’ve thought you’d show up with another one of your stupid fucking takes.  Perhaps this is another limp dick attempt at being satirical again?  Either way you fucking suck at both.

• Like 4

Just now, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Hey!  Who would’ve thought you’d show up with another one of your stupid fucking takes.  Perhaps this is another limp dick attempt at being satirical again?  Either way you fucking suck at both.

He shows up with his takes because people like you respond to them.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

go easy on glen.  he’s a bit of moron. 

Is this the point where you try to convince us that rugby will be a viable sport in the US and that some player will tear it up in the in NFL again?  Your schtick sucks and you’re not even good at it.

15 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Is this the point where you try to convince us that rugby will be a viable sport in the US and that some player will tear it up in the in NFL again?  Your schtick sucks and you’re not even good at it.

well, glen, I’m glad you brought it up.  pro rugby produces some elite athletes that would definitely excel right away on special teams in the NFL.  the fullback position in rugby requires speed and athleticism and they field high kicks on the run constantly during gameplay.  letting them return kicks and punts would be fairly easy for them.  now, it would take a while for them to learn offensive plays, and even longer still to learn how to diagnose offensive plays from the defensive side of the ball.  I think it would be beneficial to try and find some of the plus athletes in rugby countries when they are still young, perhaps in high school, and convince them to come over and learn the american game with the incentive that they could make considerably more money in the NFL than they would playing rugby in europe or the southern hemisphere.  it’s an exciting time in sports and football will do itself a great service by expanding scouting operations to other parts of the globe.  

I love this shit and I appreciate your mutual interest in it, glen, and I appreciate that you love to bring it up.  +rep

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

It was mentioned finding creative ways to add titles and compensation for BC to keep him at Texas longer.  Maybe in a few years, combine BC's recruiting duties along with spending time on the AD Staff where CDC mentors him. 

Later in his career, I could see BC as a great fund raiser with the opportunity to one day become an AD somewhere.

With the amount of oil connections to the program, we should carve out some overrides for BC.

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

well, glen, I’m glad you brought it up.  pro rugby produces some elite athletes that would definitely excel right away on special teams in the NFL.  the fullback position in rugby requires speed and athleticism and they field high kicks on the run constantly during gameplay.  letting them return kicks and punts would be fairly easy for them.  now, it would take a while for them to learn offensive plays, and even longer still to learn how to diagnose offensive plays from the defensive side of the ball.  I think it would be beneficial to try and find some of the plus athletes in rugby countries when they are still young, perhaps in high school, and convince them to come over and learn the american game with the incentive that they could make considerably more money in the NFL than they would playing rugby in europe or the southern hemisphere.  it’s an exciting time in sports and football will do itself a great service by expanding scouting operations to other parts of the globe.  

I love this shit and I appreciate your mutual interest in it, glen, and I appreciate that you love to bring it up.  +rep

Actually, this reminded me of that one London rugby player we were looking at for half a minute last year. I looked him up, turns out he's in the portal now.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Actually, this reminded me of that one London rugby player we were looking at for half a minute last year. I looked him up, turns out he's in the portal now.

oh nice.  he redshirted but this is a recent video that has some clips of him shredding the coastal carolina 1s during practice.  

• Like 1