Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

CJ is elite physically in terms of height and length. This is an example of what I meant earlier. CJ can be not speedy because he's fucking huge physically and can make the contested catch better than probably anyone else in CFB for the 2019 season. Omeire has very good physical size, but it's not elite.

This is why I don't think he'll be elite with contested catches in college. He looks great at it now, but he's not battling 6'1" CBs and big ass LBs that can outrun him, and those types are going to all make the contested catch more difficult than anything he'll face in HS. 

Yeah, I'm a little wary of the "big WR = Collin Johnson" comps being thrown around.  Collin shows how fun it is when they maximize their abilities, but the late 2000s Longhorns teams were full of big, slow, highly rated WRs that never saw the field.  Far from a sure thing.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

CJ may not have used his size to his advantage as much with positioning with dbs, but he does have a huge catch radius and very good hands. That’s where he uses his size in an elite manner. 

CJ is elite in terms of height and reach.  It gives him a huge catch radius and the ability to go over smaller defenders when combined with his jumping ability.  It also gives the defender zero chance on those back shoulder fades thrown to the outside shoulder.  Omeire's game looks a lot more like a HS version of Hakeem Butler.  He just physically bullies smaller DBs.

3 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Just curious,  what were your thoughts regarding Collin and LJ coming out? Speed were never their thing but I can't say either one did anything elite besides being big.  The sum of the parts wasn't as great as the completed package. 

See my response above. Omeire is not CJ or LJH physically. Both of those dudes were/are able to use their truly elite size to their advantage in a way that a run of the mill 6'3" WR with 4.8 speed will not.

My thoughts on them at the time were that I was excited about Collin Johnson and thought he should have been rated higher. I think I will feel this way for him in the NFL draft as well.

Regarding LJH, I couldn't figure him out. He was versatile and he was huge, but how did that translate to a CFB field? It took everyone a while, but it eventually got figured out. I think he's facing the same problems heading into the NFL draft and someone will luck into him. But I wasn't some soothsayer who thought that LJH would be a future AA type like he became at WR. I realize he wasn't an AA, but he played like one. I thought he was a wild card and I usually like those guys as the 25th or 26th type of player in a class. That's kind of why I'm bummed about Henderson going to OU and excited about Wiley signing in this last class. Who knows what in the fuck, if anything, those guys will turn out to be? Fun to think about, in any event.

Regarding LJH, I couldn't figure him out. He was versatile and he was huge, but how did that translate to a CFB field? It took everyone a while, but it eventually got figured out. I think he's facing the same problems heading into the NFL draft and someone will luck into him. But I wasn't some soothsayer who thought that LJH would be a future AA type like he became at WR. I realize he wasn't an AA, but he played like one. I thought he was a wild card and I usually like those guys as the 25th or 26th type of player in a class. That's kind of why I'm bummed about Henderson going to OU and excited about Wiley signing in this last class. Who knows what in the fuck, if anything, those guys will turn out to be? Fun to think about, in any event.

the GB no shit post of the day:  He would be lethal as a possession guy on the inside with the Pats or with one of the spread teams.  

1 minute ago, Gardner Barnes said:

the GB no shit post of the day:  He would be lethal as a possession guy on the inside with the Pats or with one of the spread teams.  

One of the things about LJH, to me, is that he plays fast. You and I both know guys that were "football fast", even if their physical times were simply okay. I never watched LJH and thought that he was being outclassed in the speed or quickness areas, but I expect his combine times to be middling.

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, I'm a little wary of the "big WR = Collin Johnson" comps being thrown around.  Collin shows how fun it is when they maximize their abilities, but the late 2000s Longhorns teams were full of big, slow, highly rated WRs that never saw the field.  Far from a sure thing.

Is Darius White in that group? Goddam I was certain he was going to be a star.

One of the things about LJH, to me, is that he plays fast. You and I both know guys that were "football fast", even if their physical times were simply okay. I never watched LJH and thought that he was being outclassed in the speed or quickness areas, but I expect his combine times to be middling.

His YAC ability reminds me of a poor man’s T.O. otherwise I’m having trouble coming up with comparison for NFL. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I agree with this up until the point that he got the ball in his hands.  Once he had the ball, he never seemed to outrun anyone, although he was phenomenal at breaking tackles.

The middle screen early against ou is a play that comes to mind.  Brown on ou's roster (and probably some of the "newer" guys we've recruited) take that play to the house, but LJH ended up getting brought down after a long gain.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:
8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I agree with this up until the point that he got the ball in his hands.  Once he had the ball, he never seemed to outrun anyone, although he was phenomenal at breaking tackles.

The middle screen early against ou is a play that comes to mind.  Brown on ou's roster (and probably some of the "newer" guys we've recruited) take that play to the house, but LJH ended up getting brought down after a long gain.

Here's a quick gif of that play:

Wp4u-F.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

fucking vahe  block ANYone

I don't know what play you're watching.  Vahe is fine to very good on that play.  He forces two guys (18 and 13) to cut back behind him.  If LJH were faster, those bad angles would be lethal to pursuit on the play.  There is literally no one else for him to block on the play, and he's working like hell to get downfield and block.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I don't know what play you're watching.  Vahe is fine to very good on that play.  He forces two guys (18 and 13) to cut back behind him.  If LJH were faster, those bad angles would be lethal to pursuit on the play.  There is literally no one else for him to block on the play, and he's working like hell to get downfield and block.

Welcome to the Surly Game Thread Experience.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Here's a quick gif of that play:

Wp4u-F.gif

It's relative. If you have to call someone "football fast", they're not even in the same league as Hollywood Brown. So it might be a semantics issue in that I don't actually think LJH is fast, I merely think he plays fast enough that I never considered him slow on the field, or that that is a detriment to having him on the field.

53 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

His YAC ability reminds me of a poor man’s T.O. otherwise I’m having trouble coming up with comparison for NFL. 

It’s not a popular comp, but I’d say LJH is the WR version of Aaron Hernandez (on field only, of course). He doesn’t have to burn you, he just runs up to you and makes a cut and creates immediate separation. LJH is elite in that he can swivel his hips and cut with quickness that no 6’4, 225 lb guy should possess. I also use the Hernandez comp because LJH would be fucking lethal in NE with Brady just placing the ball in his chest right after the cut.

When CTJ says game speed, I think of guys like LJH who run slow 40s but burn guys constantly because of his cutting ability. He just leaves guys sitting there like they’re stuck in mud.

Side note: Omenihu would also be a stud in NE with how much they love to utilize versatile DL who can line up anywhere.

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

Insert Hines Ward comparison.

Most likely Sammie Coats type comparisons but the stillers are my NFL team and he would do well catching Ben's passes.  Doesn't hurt that he can work off JuJu getting most of the attention and I know he's better than James Washington

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

See my response above. Omeire is not CJ or LJH physically. Both of those dudes were/are able to use their truly elite size to their advantage in a way that a run of the mill 6'3" WR with 4.8 speed will not.

Yep. Omeire isn’t all that much like CJ. CJ has freakish fluidity for a guy his size. Omeire is stiffer. 

Johnny Wilson on the other hand seems like a clone of CJ except he might be even a little more athletically gifted than CJ.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not a popular comp, but I’d say LJH is the WR version of Aaron Hernandez (on field only, of course). He doesn’t have to burn you, he just runs up to you and makes a cut and creates immediate separation. LJH is elite in that he can swivel his hips and cut with quickness that no 6’4, 225 lb guy should possess. I also use the Hernandez comp because LJH would be fucking lethal in NE with Brady just placing the ball in his chest right after the cut.

When CTJ says game speed, I think of guys like LJH who run slow 40s but burn guys constantly because of his cutting ability. He just leaves guys sitting there like they’re stuck in mud.

Side note: Omenihu would also be a stud in NE with how much they love to utilize versatile DL who can line up anywhere.

I was thinking Shannon sharpe, if not his brother. 

FWIW, Zach Evans is the best HS running back I have watched play against Lake Travis. Better than Gray or Brown by a mile. LT tried to play NS straight up and Evans ran over, around and through a very disciplined defense. He isnt the biggest or fastest or the most physical, but is excellent at every single thing asked of a running back. He has great instincts, runs hard, and is a terrific football player.

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

I was kinda going meta there, but had it been me i would have peeled off and blocked 18 - he looked right at him.  plus I don't like to run that far.   I doubt he saw 13 until the time he reached out for him. 

Doesn't matter, he gone.

Edited by Gardner Barnes

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was thinking Shannon sharpe, if not his brother. 

Shannon and Sterling were fast as fuck, so I don’t think they’re very good comps. They could both take the top off a defense.

3 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I was kinda going meta there, but had it been me i would have peeled off and blocked 18 - he looked right at him.  plus I don't like to run that far.   I doubt he saw 13 until the time he reached out for him. 

Doesn't matter, he gone.

Not having to watch Vahe will add years to my life. He still hasn’t seen a stunt he can recognize.

11 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

FWIW, Zach Evans is the best HS running back I have watched play against Lake Travis. Better than Gray or Brown by a mile. LT tried to play NS straight up and Evans ran over, around and through a very disciplined defense. He isnt the biggest or fastest or the most physical, but is excellent at every single thing asked of a running back. He has great instincts, runs hard, and is a terrific football player. I'd slot him as the 3rd or 4th best RB on Lake Travis, if he had played his senior season for Cavaliers. 

Fixed for what 94 really, really wanted to say. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Shannon and Sterling were fast as fuck, so I don’t think they’re very good comps. They could both take the top off a defense.

Not having to watch Vahe will add years to my life. He still hasn’t seen a stunt he can recognize.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Vahe is/was the last Mack recruit on our roster right? Along with Jerrod Heard and Andrew Beck.

I'm enjoying the "Is Evans a generational talent or not" debate, but I do think it needs a little context.

The production value is pretty bad, but... this is what a generational player's high school tape looks like:

Debate may now continue. My own position is "Why the hell are you asking me? I'm an expert gardener, not football coach."

3 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Planting flags in places like AZ, CA and St. Louis makes me happy

Reading that we’re fighting Washington, USC, and UCLA for 5 star Johnny Wilson is fucking hilarious compared to the schools we’d be fighting for a similar player in the southeast, or even in Texas. We need to continue to get a foothold out west because it’s the much, much easier direction to go for OOS talent. Not to mention, those recruitments tend to be way cleaner.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm enjoying the "Is Evans a generational talent or not" debate, but I do think it needs a little context.

The production value is pretty bad, but... this is what a generational player's high school tape looks like:

Debate may now continue. My own position is "Why the hell are you asking me? I'm an expert gardener, not football coach."

I don't think anyone thought Ricky was a generational talent out of high school