Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

“Baby, if you ever wondered,

Wondered whatever became of me,

I’m livin’ on the air in Cincinnati, Cincinnati

WKRP”

Perhaps the single greatest episode in sitcom history and it looks like you guys have never seen it. That’s too bad.

The episode was actually based on a true story.

1 hour ago, Bob Lives! said:

Ronnie Milton (the black Jared Lorenzen)?

I don’t know about “a power” but they were pretty damn good. A Top 10 greater Houston area program, but they never got too deep into the playoffs b/c of all the other great Houston area programs.

Rodney Mims is the guy I was referencing. His family won a settlement with Philips 66 after the ship channel disaster killed his father. He personally received a chunk of change and quit football before his senior year and never went anywhere, as far as I know. He scored 6 TDs as a JR against us and they beat us 55-0. I tried to tackle him as a gunner in punt coverage once and he made 4 moves in a phone booth, I fell over like a tree, and he took it to the house untouched for 70 yards. Best HS player I ever saw until I watched VY at Madison. 

1 hour ago, AugieBall said:

Not Galveston Ball?

GBall was THE power south of 610 going down 45 in 5A during the 90's. Lake, Creek, LaPorte, Friendswood (4A), Dobie, Deer Park, TC (went 4A later and won titles), they were all strong to quite strong at times. LaMarque was the best of all of them, really, but they were 4A and GBall was 5A. GBall at one point had more players in the NFL than any other high school, and I played against a bunch of them. Hampton, McCullough, Artmore, etc. All of those schools were sending guys to big time college football and a chunk of them went to the NFL (or MLB or NBA). Still, the best guy I played against was Mims. Damon Jones (GBall) I played against in basketball. He was the best I got to be on the same court with, and he was really impressive in high school. 

It's funny, Pearland was a doormat back then. Truly putrid. Hell, we beat them. Ike wiped out the poorer families on Galveston Island and near it. Many black families filling the rosters at GBall and LaMarque moved into Pearland and elsewhere and never went back, changing demographics around the island potentially forever. Not that dissimilar to what happened around NOLA after Katrina. A ton of those families never went back and stayed in Houston, DFW, ATL, Birmingham, Memphis, etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Our best center evar, Beau Baker, was a Falcon. If he hadn’t been injured during the 2001 CCG, I’m sure everything would’ve turned out much differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Baab was our best center ever.

Edited by cochamps
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Ronnie Milton (the black Jared Lorenzen)?

I don’t know about “a power” but they were pretty damn good. A Top 10 greater Houston area program, but they never got too deep into the playoffs b/c of all the other great Houston area programs.

Milton also had grade issues, didn't he? Never overcame them and couldn't make it at the next level.

Edited by satyanash

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Rodney Mims is the guy I was referencing. His family won a settlement with Philips 66 after the ship channel disaster killed his father. He personally received a chunk of change and quit football before his senior year and never went anywhere, as far as I know. He scored 6 TDs as a JR against us and they beat us 55-0. I tried to tackle him as a gunner in punt coverage once and he made 4 moves in a phone booth, I fell over like a tree, and he took it to the house untouched for 70 yards. Best HS player I ever saw until I watched VY at Madison. 

Last time you told this story, it was 5 moves. Memory slip? 😁

21 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

If recruiting were dating:

"My fact is I’m 100 percent committed to my marriage. If I decide to divorce, that’s my decision. But right now, I’m 100 percent married.  Don’t get me wrong, my romantic interests are still open. I’m just 100 percent married right now. You know, I’ve always liked that other girl. Of course, my friend is trying to influence me. He just tells me that other girl is where it’s at. I’m not blocking him out. I’m just neutral right now.”

My wife would NOT be pleased. 

She sounds like a beating.

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Live look at CTJ:

CraftySecondaryBlowfish-small.gif

PhonyFocusedDuiker-small.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=4830449

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

"My fact is I’m 100 percent committed to my marriage. If I decide to divorce, that’s my decision. But right now, I’m 100 percent married.  Don’t get me wrong, my romantic interests are still open. I’m just 100 percent married right now. You know, I’ve always liked that other [guy]. Of course, my friend is trying to influence me. He just tells me that [basically the whole FSU football team] is where it’s at. I’m not blocking him out. I’m just neutral right now.”

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Rodney Mims is the guy I was referencing. His family won a settlement with Philips 66 after the ship channel disaster killed his father. He personally received a chunk of change and quit football before his senior year and never went anywhere, as far as I know. 

Quit a few kids like that in Deer Park, Pasadena, Clear Lake area. 

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

I'd find it odd if we're seriously continuing the Demas recruitment. It's Sanders redux.

They're a little different. Sanders was in Florida surrounded by SEC schools, while Demas is down the road. Also, we have Demas' best friend signed, and his trainer who may or may not be pro Texas depending on the day

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

GBall was THE power south of 610 going down 45 in 5A during the 90's. Lake, Creek, LaPorte, Friendswood (4A), Dobie, Deer Park, TC (went 4A later and won titles), they were all strong to quite strong at times. LaMarque was the best of all of them, really, but they were 4A and GBall was 5A.

It's funny, Pearland was a doormat back then. Truly putrid. Hell, we beat them. Ike wiped out the poorer families on Galveston Island and near it. Many black families filling the rosters at GBall and LaMarque moved into Pearland and elsewhere and never went back, changing demographics around the island potentially forever. Not that dissimilar to what happened around NOLA after Katrina. A ton of those families never went back and stayed in Houston, DFW, ATL, Birmingham, Memphis, etc.

La Marque dominated Galveston Ball during the Weddell era. 

I will say that Tony Heath leaving as La Marque OC to take over as Pearland HC and bringing Weddell's system had as much to do with Pearland's success as anything else. 

Speaking of Weddell, I see where he took over as Brazosport AD in January, just a few months after one of his longtime assistants, Dean Deatley, resigned as head-coach.  Deatley came to LaMarque from Victoria with Weddell.  That would have been an awkward first move as the new AD.  

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

GBall was THE power south of 610 going down 45 in 5A during the 90's. Lake, Creek, LaPorte, Friendswood (4A), Dobie, Deer Park, TC (went 4A later and won titles), they were all strong to quite strong at times. LaMarque was the best of all of them, really, but they were 4A and GBall was 5A. GBall at one point had more players in the NFL than any other high school, and I played against a bunch of them. Hampton, McCullough, Artmore, etc. All of those schools were sending guys to big time college football and a chunk of them went to the NFL (or MLB or NBA). Still, the best guy I played against was Mims. Damon Jones (GBall) I played against in basketball. He was the best I got to be on the same court with, and he was really impressive in high school. 

Rodney Mims was a friend of mine and he was blazing fast but he didn't quit because of settlement money, he came down with a strange condition his senior year that caused his body to have massive muscle spasms.  

McKinney played OL - maybe he was 2 ways.

Edited by caliHORNia
spelling

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d like to believe that 85 spends his free time taking on strangers at fifa then partying with them. 

Kind of like the N'golo Kante of American football: http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/3636494/chelseas-ngolo-kante-plays-fifa-has-dinner-with-new-friends-after-missing-train

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Mine was the time when Loni Anderson and the gal with the glasses had a very hot make-out session when they were working late and alone in the office. It's weird how nobody else besides me seems to remember it. Yet my recollection is still so vivid. 

I member

10 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

My friend works for Atlanta United and this has in fact occurred there on more than one occasion. 

He does it pretty frequently on twitter actually, ie. will be in a random city and send out a tweet looking for a challenger and then show up randomly to one of the responses. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

How dare you not mention Brandon Backe?

2 hours ago, Fud said:

They're a little different. Sanders was in Florida surrounded by SEC schools, while Demas is down the road. Also, we have Demas' best friend signed, and his trainer who may or may not be pro Texas depending on the day

While all true unless we're going to play the way Dameyune Craig plays it's not happening.

McKinney played OL - maybe he was 2 ways.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McKinney

As a senior, he was named 1st team All-District as a TE and DE, as well as being named 24-5A District CO-MVP. He graduated from Clear Lake High School in 1994.[/Quote]

Seth (OL) was substantially larger than his older brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E.J. Holland: Another Dallas satellite camp shows UT wants to win metroplex

Texas is once again set to invade D-FW. The Longhorns are teaming up with SMU for a summer satellite camp in Dallas for the second consecutive year, which shows just how serious the Longhorns about improving their recruiting efforts in Dallas. It’s no secret that Texas has won some pivotal battles in the Houston-area and across the board nationally. If there is one area Texas could increase its presence to help seal in-state borders, it’s the Big D.

In the 2018 and 2019 recruiting cycles, Texas landed a grand total of four recruits from the metroplex. Texas A&M grabbed more D-FW players than that last cycle. Oklahoma has scored 10 commitments over the same timeframe.

While Tom Herman has stated that he wants to recruit the best prospects period, he knows D-FW is one of the country’s true recruiting hotbeds. “It’s as good of a football playing city as there is in the United States,” Herman told me at last year’s Dallas satellite camp. “Obviously, it’s Dallas comma TX. Being the state school, it’s incredibly important for us to keep as many great players in the Dallas-area home at the University of Texas.”

Winning Dallas is extremely important this cycle. After all, the area is home to key targets like elite athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson, four-star safety Chris Thompson and four-star defensive end Prince Dorbah. The recipe for Dallas domination is there for Texas. Herman made a concerted effort to hit several Dallas schools during different contact periods over the last several months, offensive coordinator Tim Beck was a high school head coach in the area and wide receiver coach Drew Mehringer, last year’s Big 12 Recruiter of the Year, played in the area.

Texas also has a secret on-campus weapon in former Dallas Skyline great Ra’Shaad Samples, who is the son of Duncanville head coach and metroplex icon Reginald Samples. Ra’Shaad can be described as the bridge the Longhorns needed in D-FW, particularly South Dallas. Of the three recruits mentioned above, it would be safe to say Texas is leading for all of them. The Longhorns also hold a commitment from Prosper offensive lineman Jake Majors and are in the mix for guys such as Jahari Rogers, Ryan Watts, Brennon Scott, Ty Jordan and Jalen Kimber.

Going back to Dallas for another satellite camp — by the way Herman and basically the entire staff attended last year’s event — shows Texas wants to make Dallas burnt orange territory. With a Sugar Bowl win under their belt and increased efforts, the Longhorns are certainly capable of doing just that.