Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

He was right though. For someone who is dead broke, $80,000 can feel life changing (even if we know that it's really not that much money long-term).

$80,000 post tax I’d add, since I doubt Illinois is 1099ing him for this hypothetical income. 

5 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

Would have liked to have him but if you’re going to switch up after a month then he really wasn’t going to come. 

It's a bit of a head scratcher. He's liked Texas for pretty much a year now, visited 3 times, and finally commits only to jump ship shortly after.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? There is a difference between broke and poor, and you seem like you don’t understand that. Someone poor doesn’t have a fucking mortgage and they’re not using a windfall to repair their hoopty. 

I never said $80k wouldn’t be a lot to someone. I put an amount like that in context and asked a rhetorical question. No shit it’s a lot of money to someone without means. It’s a lot of money to any of us here unless you claim 8+digit status. 

I thought we were more of a 6-figs type of crowd?

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Reveal hidden contents

Movement with “The Movement”?

Mookie Cooper wore a hoodie over his head to Sunday’s Illinois basketball game. The top-100 prospect politely declined to speak with Illini Inquirer’s Isaac Trotter at halftime. The Texas commit seemingly didn’t want to broadcast his visit on Sunday.

But a famous teenager like Mookie Cooper doesn't go undetected — and Illinois certainly didn’t want his visit to go under the radar. The Illini staff was pumped to get an offense-changing prospect on campus so quickly after he committed to a college football blue blood. They are even more pumped with the aftermath of the visit.

While he declined an interview, Cooper has publicly acknowledged the visit by posting pictures in an Illinois jersey on both his Instagram and Twitter. The Twitter picture has received more than 2,000 likes and 140 retweets. He changed his Twitter profile picture from a picture of him in a Texas jersey to a plainer No. 5 logo. He removed "Texas commit" from his profile.

Usually, fans are the ones who get sucked into these things — and sometimes they mean absolutely nothing — but this time, even Illinois thinks these social-media happenings mean something.

I wondered most how Texas would react to the visit. I guess they’ve been pretty quiet and as of Tuesday afternoon hadn’t talked to Mookie since the Illini visit. I hear that's a really good thing for Illinois. Again, not to go down the Twitter rabbit hole, but an Illinois source pointed me toward other Mookie Cooper posts. Brandon Gregory, the Cardinal Ritter head coach, posted on Tuesday, “To my guys that are being recruited, entertain who is entertaining you. If you have to waste your time and money to go on a visit to get an offer that's cool , they may not be truly interested in you. Its up to them to offer and RECRUIT u to spark an interest to get u on campus.” Cooper quote-tweeted it with: “100 100.”

Later in the day, he posted, “genuine, consistent love... I don’t want it if it’s fake.” Again, I usually don’t try to inflate the meaning of sometimes-random Twitter posts, but a source told me they aren’t random. They are in reference to Texas’ silence.

And the relationship angle is how Illinois wins this. Texas wins more games. Texas has the premier program. Tom Hermanhad a big season last year. The burnt orange is a better brand than the latest shade of orange that Illinois is using, even through some recent Longhorns struggles. McConnaughey is still roaming their sidelines L-I-V-I-N the dream. The Illini got Ron Swanson in a recorded message screaming on the Jumbotron. Not as Hollywood.

But the relationships the Illini have with Cooper goes beyond flash and bright lights. Cooper has known Illini assistant Cory Patterson from the day he first put on shoulder pads. He’s been coached by Patterson for about a decade. His mother — who won’t push Mookie either way; she’s just proud of her boy, as she should be — grew up with Patterson in the tough streets of St. Louis, so there’s an inherent trust there. Illini signee Isaiah Williams is like “an older brother” to Cooper, a source said. Shammond Cooper (no relation) is also pushing Mookie to Illinois and visited on Sunday along with Williams and Mookie. Illinois has made Mookie a top priority for two years.

The Longhorns made Mookie a priority for about the last year and got his commitment early. But Texas also can find another Mookie Cooper pretty quickly.

But that commitment isn’t likely to last long, according to multiple sources. How hard will they fight to keep him if he’s already visiting Illinois? The Illini will make Mookie a priority for the next nine months, and they never viewed his commitment to Texas as the end of his recruitment. Far from it. In fact, some think Illinois could flip him soon.

Though some wonder if it’d be better in the long run if the Illini hide in the weeds and not have every other blue blood chasing them until the December signing period. Personally, I think you push for a verbal to try and gain some momentum in recruiting and then hold on for dear life this summer and fall.

Of course, Texas is probably going to win a lot of games this fall. Herman’s job is not in jeopardy. Lovie Smith’s potentially facing a make-or-break year. Illinois probably won’t sign Cooper unless they win games this fall and make a bowl game.

But after Cooper’s latest visit, Illinois thinks that if it takes care of business on the field that it has the edge and pull in every other aspect in order to sign an offense-changing prospect to headline the Class of 2020.

Two Trinity Catholic sources talked to me about Mookie after the visit. One said the weekend was a "good start" for Illinois. Another told me "they will have a good chance at Mookie."

Illinois is in a strong position with Cooper right now. If he decommits publicly from Texas, I'll put in a Crystal Ball for the Illini. Regardless, based on what I’ve been told from several sources, I now see the Illini as the favorite for Cooper.

I’ve watched Trinity Catholic several times. Isaiah Williams is an electric playmaker. Shammond Cooper is going to be a really good college linebacker. Marcus Washington has NFL potential as a long, athletic wide receiver. But Mookie Cooper has a different gear and might be the best prospect of all of them.

If Illinois eventually does secure Cooper, “The Movement” — and Cory Patterson— will have lived up to all the hype.

If they think they'll need to make a bowl to keep Mookie I feel pretty good about it. This is Illinois. I think we'll be fine.

If Illinois is really selling Mookie on him just being another player at Texas, while they genuinely care about him in Champagne.... BC, Washington, Meh and TH will quickly flip this thing once again when they get his OV.  Mookie is a teenager who is impressionable, let this thing air out for a few months... then he can see what's really #Real

• Like 1

Ah, well. Sucks because he's a player. Hopefully, the staff gets moving on Ty Jordan ASAP. 

Interesting that Smith was selling Cooper on being "somebody" at Illinois as opposed to "just another player" at Texas. That would seem to imply that Lovie doesn't think he's good enough to succeed here. Personally, I think he would have torn it up at Texas. Plus, there are no "somebodies" on Illinois' football team - everyone who isn't a basketball player there is basically "just another player."

Some testing results from the Opening:

4-STAR QB JA'QUINDEN JACKSON
Hometown (school): Duncanville, Texas (Duncanville HS)

Height, weight: 6-2, 219
40-yard dash time: 4.61
Shuttle time: n/a
Power ball toss: n/a
Vertical jump: n/a
Ratings score: No score

4-STAR CB JALEN KIMBER
Hometown (school): Arlington, Texas (Mansfield Timberview HS)

Height, weight: 6-0, 170
40-yard dash time: 4.47 (ran 4.43 in "Fastest Man" contest)
Shuttle time: 4.0
Power ball toss: 37
Vertical jump: 40.8
Ratings score: 125.85

5-STAR RB JASE MCCLELLAN
Hometown (school): Aledo, Texas (Aledo HS)

Height, weight: 5-10 1/2, 200
40-yard dash time: 4.55
Shuttle time: 3.97
Power ball toss: 38.5
Vertical jump: 35.3
Ratings score: 123.15

4-STAR WR MARVIN MIMS
Hometown (school): Frisco, Texas (Lone Star HS)
Height, weight: 5-11, 161
40-yard dash time: 4.67
Shuttle time: 4.5
Power ball toss: 39
Vertical jump: 37.2
Ratings score: 94.56

4-STAR LB BRENNON SCOTT
Hometown (school): Dallas (Bishop Dunne HS)

Height, weight: 6-0 1/2, 234
40-yard dash time: n/a
Shuttle time: 4.7
Power ball toss: 39.5
Vertical jump: 27.8

3-STAR CB RYAN WATTS
Hometown (school): Little Elm, Texas (Little Elm HS)

Height, weight: 6-2 1/2, 187
40-yard dash time: 4.59
Shuttle time: 4.2
Power ball toss: 40
Vertical jump: 38
Ratings score: 116.91

• Like 2

10 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Since when does Illinois care enough about football to cheat? It would be like if Kansas randomly started buying players. Not saying that this is what's going on here (although it's pretty clearly what happened with Beason), but this is REALLY weird even with his teammates there. That place is a football dumpster fire. Always has been and likely always will be. 

Surely Mookie has to realize that Lovie won't even be there in a few years, right?

Ron Zook comes to mind. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-weekend-march-8th-10th/

Josh White in Focus | Set to Visit Texas
– Super K

I recently stopped by Cy Creek High School to visit with 2020 linebacker and recent Texas offer, Josh White. I came away impressed.

Background

When you first meet Josh, you feel like you’re meeting a young man…not a kid. He looks you in the eye, speaks clearly and shakes your hand.

As I take my own notes and make my own evaluation of a prospect, this is something I consider. It shows that the player knows, at a minimum, how to communicate with an elder and more specifically with the coaches at the next level.

What’s inspiring about Josh’s story is that his maturity as a young man is immediately obvious despite not having his father around. He was raised by a single mother who clearly did a great job of instilling among other things, a strong work ethic in him.

“She’s a hard worker”, Josh said about his mom. “It’s just me and her. My dad left at a young age. She works two jobs so I can be out here and do what I do right now. She means a lot. She teaches me what work ethic is. You see her coming home late, twelve at night, just from working two jobs and then she’s got to wake back up at six to go to the other job. She teaches me work ethic for real”.

When Josh first decided to play football it was his mother who not only encouraged him to play but told him that if he was going to play he would need to take it seriously.

“I played for the Cy Creek Cowboys. It’s like a little youth team around here. So, I’m coming in like I’m going to play just to see if I like it and my mom was like, no, if you’re going to play you’re going to do this. You put your mind to it and you go do it”.

By Josh’s own admission he wasn’t one of the best in youth football. As recent as eighth grade, Josh was playing center on the offensive line.

Coming out of eighth grade, Josh went to “Cy Camp” which is a camp held at the high school for incoming high school football players. That’s where he was discovered by his linebacker coach, coach Smith.

”I ran the shuttle out here and my shuttle was like a 4.35 and he (coach Smith) was like, yeah you can come play linebacker for me and I said, alright”.

“He taught me everything I know. Playing in the box, like, how to stay square playing in the box, how to turn your shoulders when you get out of the box and then get back square”.

Josh said coach Smith is like a mentor figure to him.

So, we spoke with coach Smith to find out what he sees in Josh.

“He’s the real deal. You won’t find one better that can read football plays, read offenses, he reads linemen and there’s not a lineman that can block him. He’s strong. He’s fast. He’s agile and he reads well. That’s everything you need”.

What coach Smith saw in Josh so early on was his ability to change direction, “Watching him run and change direction. It’s all about changing direction. As an incoming 9th grader he looked pretty good. So, we had an idea. Everything else is history”.

Coach Smith admits that he didn’t realize Josh would necessarily become the player he’d turn in to. He started to see it though, once Josh got into his freshman year.

”During his freshman season we had him on kickoff and he would almost beat the ball down the field. He’d make every tackle on kickoff and at that point, we knew he was going to be a ballplayer and then once we got him into his sophomore season and I got him at practice learning every day as the varsity coach and just seeing how fast he learned and picked up things. His willingness to learn. His hunger to be a smarter football player”.

Coach Smith finished the conversation by commenting on Josh’s speed just to clarify that he isn’t just an agile player, “He’s got flat out speed, too. There isn’t a running back who can beat him to the edge. Not one that we play. And he’s the biggest 200m runner you’ll ever see”.

Josh’s goal in track this year is to crack into the 22-second mark. That’s as a 6’1 210 lb linebacker.

Recruiting

While Josh’s offer list has exploded recently picking up offers from schools like Miami, OU, Auburn, Arkansas, and others, he’s not new to the recruiting game.

***First offer was from Baylor. He picked up last year. Baylor came into the gym to see a former teammate, Miles Battle. Or at least, that’s what Josh thought. The next day, Baylor offered Josh. “It felt good. I was just in the weight room working trying to get ready to be a D1 player, progressing every day. That’s when I knew I could really do this”.

***Josh has visited Texas already. Coach Orlando has maintained contact with him throughout the process. So, although Texas only recently offered, the relationship with Texas and coach Orlando is already there for Josh.

***When I spoke with Josh prior to the Texas offer, he mentioned that if Texas did indeed offer, they’d immediately jump near the top of his list.

***Josh took a recent visit to Oklahoma.

***He’ll be taking an visit to Oklahoma State on March 21st.

***Josh is set to make a return visit to Texas this weekend.

***I don’t expect Josh to take his recruitment out too far. He’s looking to take finish his visits this spring/summer and then make a decision

***In terms of what Josh is looking for in a program and a coach…

”I’m looking for a coach that can take me in and be completely flat out honest with me and coach me up to the best of my ability – to get me to the league…as long as he can coach me up and take me where I want to go, that’s all that matters”.

***Schools to watch in this one are going to be Texas, LSU, OU, Oklahoma State and Baylor.

2020 WR Troy Omeire Visiting Texas
– Andrew King

In addition to linebacker Josh White, expect Texas to host another top 2020 target in Fort Bend Austin (TX) wide receiver Troy Omeire this weekend.

So far this recruitment has been a Texas-Texas A&M battle, and I don’t expect that to change. The Aggies had the early momentum, then Omeire visited Texas a few times during the season and it sounded like the Longhorns had the lead. Right now I’d give the edge to Texas A&M.

This weekend is obviously a chance for Tom Herman and company to swing things back in their favor.

Updates from Georgia | Jo’Quavious Marks, T Lee & Kobe Pryor
– Super K

I’ve been visiting a few schools out here in Georgia.

***I stopped by Carver High School to see Texas target, 2020 running back, Jo’Quavious Marks.

Marks is a back with true speed…game speed and measurable speed. Very tightly wound young man. Imagine he is very difficult to tackle. Powerfully built, fast, and keeps his legs moving.

His coach spoke very highly of him as a complete back and as a student. I believe he will be an early enrollee.

Texas is a real threat here. He said Ezekiel Elliott is his inspiration which obviously plays right into coach Drayton’s hands.

The coaching staff at Carver also has a tie to coach Hand which I can get into later.

Marks said he is hoping to take an unofficial visit to Texas on March 23rd.

***I also stopped by Buford HS (GA) to see Arizona State 2020 ATH commit, T Lee.

T is being recruited by coach Jason Washington. So, the offer Texas made to T was as a defensive back.

I can tell you that if Texas wants to really push here, they’d be tough to beat and he basically admitted as much.

With all the talented defensive backs in the state though, I’m not sure how hard the Horns will push. But coach Washington is remaining in regular contact.

***Also, went to Cedartown to see Texas running back target, Kobe Pryor.

Pryor is a bigger back with good speed to go along with it. Great young man. Small town kid with small-town manner and work ethic. He comes from a school that puts out running backs.

As I mentioned, Nick Chubb was in there working out with Pryor. The 2019 running back at the school, who was working out with them as well, is a West Virginia signee.

And this is the next running back up after Pryor…

They have a lot of talent in that program and the coaches are developing those players the right way.

So far he’s taken visits to Auburn and has a Clemson visit this weekend. He and coach Drayton have been talking about him getting to Texas before the end of the summer. So, either a spring or summer visit. He said coach Drayton gave him the option of making the visit an official or an unofficial visit. But he plans on visiting.

Update | 2020 DB Jalen Kimber
– Will Baizer

One of the biggest needs for the Longhorns in the 2020 class will be the cornerback position. Texas has cast a wide net inside the state of Texas with seven offers to different corners in the state. The one thing that connects each one of these corners is that they are above 6’0″ and are crazy athletic.

Manfield Timberview’s 2020 cornerback, Jalen Kimber, may be the most athletic corner in the state and put his claim on the title by putting up the best SPARQ score (a score that determines an athletes athleticism) at last weekend’s The Opening Dallas regional with a 125.85. To get that score he recorded an official 4.47 forty, a vertical jump of 40.8″, a shuttle time of 4.00, and a Powerball throw of 37 feet.

The day before he put up these crazy numbers, he was in Austin visiting Texas. According to Kimber, the trip was one of the best he’s ever taken, “It was fun. They gave me a whole lot of different scenarios of how I would fit in, and I could probably come in there and play early if I go there. And the campus is beautiful. I like Texas a lot now. They jumped up.”

The trip to Austin consisted of hanging out with Jason Washington as he and other coaches toured the campus, athletic department, and dorms. However, the thing that seemed to really stick out to him was his time with Washington in the film room: “It was in the film room. I like the way he coached and the energy that he had.” During the film review, Washington pulled up Kimber’s film to show how he would use him, and the scenarios were so familiar that Kimber told me, “They put up plays of what I’ve done and what they’ve done, and it was the exact same thing.”

With this visit and an offer in hand, Texas has securely put themselves towards the top of the race for the long-armed, athlete. Kimber expressed that he wants to commit before the season and will do his official visits this Spring. He also told me that Texas is for sure on that list of official visits.

One of the biggest needs for the Longhorns in the 2020 class will be the cornerback position. Texas has cast a wide net inside the state of Texas with seven offers to different corners in the state. The one thing that connects each one of these corners is that they are above 6’0″ and are crazy athletic.

Manfield Timberview’s 2020 cornerback, Jalen Kimber, may be the most athletic corner in the state and put his claim on the title by putting up the best SPARQ score (a score that determines an athletes athleticism) at last weekend’s The Opening Dallas regional with a 125.85. To get that score he recorded an official 4.47 forty, a vertical jump of 40.8″, a shuttle time of 4.00, and a Powerball throw of 37 feet.

The day before he put up these crazy numbers, he was in Austin visiting Texas. According to Kimber, the trip was one of the best he’s ever taken, “It was fun. They gave me a whole lot of different scenarios of how I would fit in, and I could probably come in there and play early if I go there. And the campus is beautiful. I like Texas a lot now. They jumped up.”

The trip to Austin consisted of hanging out with Jason Washington as he and other coaches toured the campus, athletic department, and dorms. However, the thing that seemed to really stick out to him was his time with Washington in the film room: “It was in the film room. I like the way he coached and the energy that he had.” During the film review, Washington pulled up Kimber’s film to show how he would use him, and the scenarios were so familiar that Kimber told me, “They put up plays of what I’ve done and what they’ve done, and it was the exact same thing.”

With this visit and an offer in hand, Texas has securely put themselves towards the top of the race for the long-armed, athlete. Kimber expressed that he wants to commit before the season and will do his official visits this Spring. He also told me that Texas is for sure on that list of official visits.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He's really good, but others have been recruiting him harder than us since we've had Mookie leaning and then committing to Texas

He plays with Hornsby and Helm, and his head coach is an aggie, and the aggie sites all think he's an A&M lean

He's worth going after, imo. I could see the staff taking Dixon instead. It'll be interesting to see if we continue to recruit Mookie. 

• Like 1

IT

These questions and tasks were borrowed from Ian's defensive post two weeks ago. I put them to sources.

Question: Where do DeMarvion Overshown and B.J. Foster fit? 

Overshown's been hurt. Lots of minor injuries with the safeties: Brandon Jones, Caden Sterns, and Overshown. Heading into spring it will be Chris Brown at field safety, BJ Foster at boundary, Josh at nickel. They haven't really worked joker stuff yet. When everyone's healthy, I'm not sure how it will shake out because they still have the same issues -- more quality players than positions. Spring will be good for getting BJ comfortable playing from depth and getting Thompson ready without the crutch of Jones behind him.

Question: Who’s the most dangerous pass-rusher up front? 

There are a few options. Joseph Ossai of course. He has a true pass rusher build and skill-set. Roach is always going to be active and quick off the ball. He's different than Omenihu. McCulloch at Rover will be an upgrade as a blitzer. With the amount of blitzing that position gets he'll have opportunities. 

Question: Is there a lockdown corner? 

What I'll tell you won't surprise you because I've said it before. I have no worries about Anthony Cook. There won't be a drop off from Kris and he may be better. Certainly more consistent. If KB had another year I think Cook would beat him out. Assuming Green keeps developing I don't think there will be much of a drop off from Davante either.

Task: It’s time to turn Jeffrey McCulloch into an inside-backer.

Yes it is and the staff knows it. Orlando is investing a lot of time in McCulloch and McCulloch is responding and putting in a ton of extra work. They're demanding of him, he needs to learn everyone's job, not just his own or the other linebackers. He'll know what to do, the question will be putting it into action on the field. 

Task: Develop a deep bench of DL into a dominant two-deep. 

Solid is the word that comes to mind. Solid all around, no elite pass rusher. Solid starters and back-ups. What I like about them is they can all hold the point of attack, no Breckyns get tossed around. They can really go about eight deep. I think Bimage is back too who is a borderline starter. That's a lot for a three-man front but they're going to need some play-makers to take the next step.

Task: Train options at nickel (Brandon Jones out for the spring). 

They're all in on Josh Thompson and have been for a long time. He has the best combo of size and coverage ability for the position. He might be the fastest guy on the team, they just have to get him playing like it. It's mental for him but with all the reps and attention he get expect him to take the next step. Chris Brown will be the back-up with D'shawn Jamison focusing on corner. If Thompson struggles versus the run Brown could help. 

One piece of good news that you didn't even know you were in need of:

Caleb Johnson has turned the corner after a bit of a rough acclimation period. Similar to Gary Johnson it wasn't the easiest transition for him from Juco to the demands of UT but he's doing everything the right way the last couple of weeks and if he stays on this path may be looking at playing time. We'll see how he looks when the pads come on.

Next week's practice schedule is Monday-Wednesday-Friday. On days they don't practice they'll lift. The following week is spring break.

PARKER BRAUN

The Georgia Tech graduate transfer weighed in at 292 pounds on the deal-sealing Texas visit. 

The question remaining is whether or not Parker will play or red-shirt. We're betting on playing:

While he'd (Parker's dad) love for Parker to shirt (and agreed on how), he's not holding his breath. In fact (after watching his share of film on our Oline) he expects Parker to start and not shirt simply because "you play your best five - always". When you're an HC making $5M you don't want to risk not bringing your A game, roster-wise included. Yancy was indeed the man. Herman, staff evidenced total alignment throughout the weekend in ways other schools haven't/don't. Measured/weighed in at 6-3, 292.

STATE OF RECRUITING 

While Texas is set to start spring practices on Monday, the list of prospects who are slated to visit at some point through the UT Spring Game on April 13th continues to grow. 

UT will also host a pair of recruits this weekend - Troy Omiere (WR, FB Austin) and Josh White (LB, Cypress Creek). Both are four-star talents from the Houston area. Both have rival schools pushing for them. The 2020 duo will get the orange carpet treatment. 

Omiere has three he likes - A&M, Texas, and OU. His mother will have an influence on his decision. UT has a chance to make its case this weekend. 

White has always coveted a Texas offer, and when he got it, his recruitment started to clear up. Oklahoma received a Crystal Ball for him recently but a source close to White stated that was off. This comes down to UT and LSU. In my opinion, a good visit this weekend could put a nail in this recruitment.

Here’s a handful of kids that will be on campus soon and a few more that the Horns feel good with. 

Hudson Card, QB - Lake Travis (2020) TEXAS: It helps when your future football program is 15 minutes from the house. Card (6-foot-3, 180) spends more time at Moncrief than Norm did in Cheers. Which reminds of a classic line. Woody: "Would you like a beer?" Norm: "Isn't it a little early?" Woody: "For a beer?" Norm: "For a stupid question." 

Prince Dorbah, OLB - Highland Park (2020): The three-time state champion will venture to Austin soon. It won’t be his first, second, or third time even; he’s a regular. He wants to take some out-of-state visits like Oregon and Oklahoma, but Texas looks great right now. OU is the threat. UT has a complete sell, including perfect fit, and will be tough to beat.

Chris Thompson, DB - Duncanville (2020): The 6-foot-1 safety from the DFW with a plethora of offers told us weeks ago that Texas leads in his recruitment. Coach Naivar has made Thompson a priority and the hard-hitting defensive back wants a return trip to the 40 Acres. Maybe he can pickup four-star teammate Ja’Quinden Jackson on the way. It wouldn’t surprise me. 

Jase McClellan, RB - Aledo (2020): It was pretty significant getting the state’s No. 2 running back on campus in January, considering he’s a strong Sooners pledge. But the fact he’ll be back soon proves he’s looking at the Horns with an open mind and open eyes on the depth chart. We believe the staff has made up some ground in recent days, though McClellan is still most likely to end up in Norman. However, had UT been pushing for him as hard as OU did when he was ready to announce, it would have been Texas. The musical chairs at the position are going to be fascinating. If he sticks with OU, hope the Sooners also land Seth McGowan to help UT and others with Kendall Milton.

Tommy Brockermeyer, OL - FW All Saints (2021): After a visit to Iowa on Monday and Tuesday, Team Brockermeyer will be on campus next Friday. They're slated for Ann Arbor the day after. You can probably get used to seeing them around campus. Tommy, whose not only the lead candidate for the state’s top player in 2021, there’s scuttle he’s Top 10 in the nation. I’m buying. 

James Brockermeyer, OL - FW All Saints (2021): James might get tired of being “the other Brockermeyer twin," but something tells me he’ll have his own moment soon. OU verbally extending an offer recently might have just expedited it. His offer list (Iowa, OU, Oklahoma State, Virginia) has grown thanks to some nice camp showings. Either way, he’s worthy. You take every damn Brockermeyer you can get. Like a Shipley. 

So, where do things stand with the Brockermeyers? Should an offer come down to James, whichever one was born first should allow the other to commit first. You might be looking at the first two commitments of the 2021 class. 

Chad Lindberg, OL - LC Clear Creek (2020): He’s seen Palo Alto. Now it’s time to get down to business. Lindberg visiting soon would be a strong move towards finishing the OL group with, 3-out-of-5, so far. 

Quinn Ewers, QB - Southlake Carroll (2022): The Dragons sophomore-to-be signal-caller has Texas’ interest. Former Longhorn commit and assistant coach Riley Dodge is the coach at Carroll and knows his guy has it. He’ll watch practice on Monday. Ewers already holds offers from Michigan and Ohio State.

Princely Umanmielen, DL - Manor (2020): The ever-growing defensive lineman is a Texas fan. He’s also fond of the Sooners and will visit Texas A&M soon. The truth is the more he’s around the Horns, the better the odds go into a burnt orange shade. He might be at practice as soon as next Monday. 

MOOKIE COOPER

The de-commitment of the slot weapon makes it more likely there will be room for Kelvontay Dixon (Carthage). The brother of Keaontay Ingram probably fills a more pressing need than Cooper did, because Dixon could play Z as well. 

Cooper was talented, and obviously the staff wanted him because they were on him for a long time, but he was a luxury take. Go get JoJo Earle in 2021 who will be more of a need.

26 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

A guy who runs 4.61 at 219 pounds as a high school junior would be an awfully good fit at QB in this offense, if he can throw even just a little bit.

This is my take.  We should go all in on Jackson at QB.  He's a +++ athlete.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Some testing results from the Opening:

4-STAR QB JA'QUINDEN JACKSON
Hometown (school): Duncanville, Texas (Duncanville HS)

Height, weight: 6-2, 219
40-yard dash time: 4.61
Shuttle time: n/a
Power ball toss: n/a
Vertical jump: n/a

4-STAR CB JALEN KIMBER
Hometown (school): Arlington, Texas (Mansfield Timberview HS)

Height, weight: 6-0, 170
40-yard dash time: 4.47 (ran 4.43 in "Fastest Man" contest)
Shuttle time: 4.0
Power ball toss: 37
Vertical jump: 40.8
Ratings score: 125.85

5-STAR RB JASE MCCLELLAN
Hometown (school): Aledo, Texas (Aledo HS)

Height, weight: 5-10 1/2, 200
40-yard dash time: 4.55
Shuttle time: 3.97
Power ball toss: 38.5
Vertical jump: 35.3
Ratings score: 123.15

4-STAR WR MARVIN MIMS
Hometown (school): Frisco, Texas (Lone Star HS)
Height, weight: 5-11, 161
40-yard dash time: 4.67
Shuttle time: 4.5
Power ball toss: 39
Vertical jump: 37.2
Ratings score: 94.56

4-STAR LB BRENNON SCOTT
Hometown (school): Dallas (Bishop Dunne HS)

Height, weight: 6-0 1/2, 234
40-yard dash time: n/a
Shuttle time: 4.7
Power ball toss: 39.5
Vertical jump: 27.8

3-STAR CB RYAN WATTS
Hometown (school): Little Elm, Texas (Little Elm HS)

Height, weight: 6-2 1/2, 187
40-yard dash time: 4.59
Shuttle time: 4.2
Power ball toss: 40
Vertical jump: 38
Ratings score: 116.91

Not very good time for Mims considering everyone else was testing pretty fast at the event.

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Just hope this doesn’t hurt us in the MO area. Was building a nice pipeline there

Illinois just bought a kid we'd been recruiting for a long, long time. Whatever pipeline we had into that area is on life support until we start playing the game as well.