Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

They cut this clip too short, Keith Jackson talking about Kinder needed to find a place on the sideline to sit down is hilarious.

Being in the stadium that day as James Brown stupidly threw a pick all the way across the field to clinch the loss was not so hilarious.

Rivals nationals has put out a couple articles with relevant info recently

Sav'ell Smalls: Plans to visit at some point during the spring or summer. He'll have a top 6 at the end of summer (5 OVs + UW)

Justin Flowe: Recently visited some SEC schools and Clemson. Nearly committed to UGA while he was there but held off. 

Kelee Ringo: His next visit will be to OU   LMAO

Mookie Cooper: I've been thinking we'd still land him later on, but his interview is a total 180 and leaves a really sour taste. In the comments Ketch said he thinks somebody negative recruited us really hard, but I don't think he actually knows anything. The big receivers comment is interesting though (and also really stupid.)

Spoiler

TORRANCE, Calif. - Teriyon Cooper made a commitment to Texas in mid-February. The coaches showed him a lot of attention, he loved the place and so his pledge was not a surprise.

The four-star athlete from St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic backed off that decision a few weeks later and that definitely caught a lot of people off-guard.

“It was kind of early,” Cooper said of the pledge this past weekend at the adidas West Coast Invitational.

“I wanted to go to UT but I wasn’t all-the-way sure if I was ready to make that decision so early. After thinking about it when I committed, I still wanted to visit other schools, see what everything else is like, see what other schools have to offer and then weigh my decision to see who’s best for me.”

Cooper’s decision to de-commit so soon after making his commitment came down to one simple explanation.

“I didn’t want to be committed to a school when I’m still out here looking at other schools to see who’s better,” Cooper said.

As for upcoming visits, the four-star athlete who looked good at receiver at the adidas tournament said he wants to see Oklahoma, LSU, Nebraska and Ohio State.

He also has a certain offensive system in mind and the four-star was not quite sure Texas’ offense perfectly fit his playing style.

“Be able to get quick players like me, get the ball in space and make big plays,” Cooper said.

“Texas throws the ball and they make big plays but I was trying to see if I could see myself there because they have a lot of big receivers. I was just trying to see if that was truly what was best for me. I’m not totally blowing UT out of the way, they’re still one of my top schools. I’m just trying to see if that’s truly where I want to be.”

Right before Cooper backed off his pledge to the Longhorns, the St. Louis Trinity Catholic prospect took another visit to Illinois. Assistant coach Cory Patterson used to be at Cooper’s high school and former teammate Shammond Cooper signed with Illinois in the 2019 class but the four-star said the trip to Champaign didn’t play a role in his Texas de-commitment.

“Everything thinks I’m going there because I de-committed right after that visit but I go to Illinois all the time,” Cooper said. “This one visit didn’t change anything. I just go up to chill. Nobody was telling me to commit to Illinois.”

Anyways, Smalls to me is a nonstarter until he makes it to campus, and it looks like Flowe might be trending that way too. Cooper seems like a total reset. I'd take Ringo over all of them though so at least that's going well.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Stampede: Recruiting overload from Adidas West Coast

— Buzz around five-star Upland (Calif.) linebacker Justin Flowe and Texas seems to be intensifying. So where there is fire, there is smoke, right? Well, Texas did win some humongous battles out West last recruiting cycle, which means the Longhorns are more than capable of landing a prospect like Flowe. He has been building a strong relationship with the staff and is part of the same 7v7 program that produced Texas signees De'Gabriel Floyd and Bru McCoy. Texas is certainly an appealing option for Flowe. The next step is getting him on campus. And that is likely to happen before the end of spring ball.

— From talking to sources around the Flowe recruitment, Texas and Georgia are two schools that are garnering increased interest from the nation’s top linebacker. One source told me that Flowe would ‘definitely’ leave the West Coast as he has a strong desire to play football down South. Flowe also reiterated that to me in my interview with him. Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida and Clemson were some other schools that I heard in regards to Flowe’s recruitment. Right now, the Crystal Ball picks are 100 percent USC, but it’s going to take a shakeup for him to stay in Los Angeles as there are so many unanswered questions there.

— I’m not really close to putting in a Crystal Ball for Flowe as I want to see how his visit goes first. I would be more willing to put one in for five-star Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Johnny Wilson at this point in the process. But like with Flowe, I want to see how his spring visit goes. I did ask Wilson point blank what his biggest factor was, and his response was system fit. UT’s use of big receivers Lil'Jordan Humphrey and Collin Johnson really wowed Wilson last season. Wilson said over and over in our interview that he could really see himself at Texas because of his size and similar ability to Humphrey and Johnson. And I think he’s getting more comfortable with the idea of leaving home. Texas is going all out here as the Longhorns have gotten Johnson, McCoy and Floyd involved in this recruitment.

— Speaking of McCoy, I spoke to several sources close to him, and they all said they expect him to be granted immediate eligibility this season. Remember, McCoy, despite being enrolled at USC for only a couple of weeks, was a straight transfer. I’ve been told by sources close to the program that there is a lot of optimism and that McCoy would get on the field right away. One source close to McCoy told me that he has been working harder than ever before now that he is in Austin and is ready to prove something to the world.

— Five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) quarterback Bryce Young obviously knows McCoy really well — the two were teammates last season. I asked him for his thoughts on McCoy as a player. Here is what he had to say: “He brings that it factor. Whether it was a three-step drop or a five-step drop, I knew the concept, but in the back of my mind, I knew I had Bru out there. He has such a wide catch radius. He made a lot of average throws look great. It was definitely a luxury being able to throw to him. He could also affect the game on the other side of the ball. He’s just a really special football player.”

— I spoke to a California high school football coach close to Floyd and asked him his opinion on what he’s bringing to the Texas program. The coach told me that Floyd enrolled early, so he could go in with a leader mentality. He added that while Floyd is new at Texas, he loves the culture there and is already commanding respect from his teammates. With his size, athleticism and personality, the coach expects him to get on the field right away.

— Let’s quickly get back to Bryce Young. The five-star signal-caller gave an early commitment to USC and is still happy with his decision. But with so many question marks around the program, now is a prime opportunity for other schools to jump in the mix. I spent time with both Bryce and his father this weekend and have known them for more than a year. They both have a lot of respect for Texas and offensive coordinator Tim Beck. If the Longhorns try to get back in, they would, at the very least, listen, in my opinion. Even with Hudson Card, who I think is going to be very good, in the fold, Young is too talented not reengage with. He’s the nation’s top ranked dual-threat quarterback for a reason.

— Speaking of Beck, he’s doing a phenomenal job in the recruitment of five-star Salpointe Catholic (AZ) running back Bijan Robinson, who will be on campus for the Longhorns’ spring game in April. Beck is one of the best recruiters on staff and has taken the lead in this recruitment. While Stan Drayton is involved, Robinson raved about his relationship with Beck and the conversations they’ve had. Remember, Beck was once a high school coach in Arizona and has strong ties to the state. Right now, Robinson is really high on Ohio State and UCLA, but he is very open, and Texas is an appealing option.

— Texas is also working hard on Robinson’s teammate and four-star safety Lathan Ransom, who is looking to make it to Austin at some point this spring. Like Robinson, Ransom is wide open in his recruitment. He does like schools like Notre Dame, Ohio State and USC, but Ransom is still in the early stages of his recruitment as he is looking to make a number of visits. Texas has had success in Arizona, and UT safeties coach Craig Naivar is doing a good job with him early on.

— Five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo is just having fun with the process. We’ve talked endlessly about his relationship with Beck and ties to the program. Look, Ringo feels at home at Texas. It’s the reason UT is the only school in the country that’s hosted him twice. But there is a long way to go in this process. I’m hearing that Oklahoma is gaining steam here, and of course, Washington will always be a factor — he’s originally from the Pacific Northwest. Texas needs to keep grinding and push for a spring visit.

— Five-star Seattle Garfield (WA) linebacker Sav'ell Smalls likes to play things pretty close to the vest, but it’s clear he’s very open to going across the country to play his college ball. Like Flowe, Smalls spoke about the opportunity to play big-time college football at a traditional powerhouse down South. Texas is very much a true threat in this recruitment, but Smalls is wide open. He is also high on schools like Alabama, Clemson, Florida State and Oklahoma.

— The Mookie Cooper situation is just strange. Obviously, he was a Texas lean for about a year and committed on junior day only to decommit a few weeks later. Yes, the Illinois visit went well, and he has a lot of ties to the program, but Cooper isn’t planning on making a new decision until after his senior. When I asked him why he backed out of his verbal pledge in what seemed like a hasty move, Cooper simply said he just needed more time to think things over and make visits.

— So is Cooper to Texas completely done? Look, it’s rare for a recruit to decommit and end up back at that school. But never say never. Texas has had success recruiting Saint Louis in the past, former teammate Marcus Washington is signed and he still has a bond with both Drew Mehringer and Bryan Carrington. Texas spoke with Cooper a couple of days ago, and it appears both parties are going to keep the lines of communication open. At the same time, Texas isn’t going to hold a spot. Expect the Longhorns to recruit other “H” candidates.

— Texas extended an offer to four-star wide receiver and fellow Missouri native Jordan Johnson over the weekend. I actually caught up with Johnson for a little bit during my time in Los Angeles. Texas might be able to get him on campus, but landing him is going to be tough sledding. Johnson is already set to make a decision in July, and Notre Dame seems to have a pretty good grasp in that recruitment. I actually put in a Crystal Ball for the Irish last night.

— Texas is getting four-star Shadow Creek defensive back Xavion Alford back on campus for his third unofficial visit of the offseason. Alford is excited to watch the Longhorns practice and see how exactly Texas utilizes the nickel position in the secondary. At this point in the process, Texas seems to be the clear team to beat. Of course, you can’t count out LSU or Texas A&M, but the Longhorns have done a phenomenal job in this one over the last month. I feel very confident in my Texas Crystal Ball.

— Four-star defensive back Dwight McGlothern has also been to Texas on multiple occasions this offseason. So just how likely is it that he ends up in Austin when it’s all said and done? I’ve seen crazier things happen in recruiting, so I won’t rule it out. McGlothern does like the program and the staff, specifically Naivar and Carrington, but I feel like he’s going to end up in the SEC. I also spoke to a source familiar with his recruitment that has advised him that his playing style fits the Pac-12. There is a ton going on in this recruitment, and right now, I would say the chances are low.

— Texas was the clear team to beat for fast-rising cornerback Joshua Eaton following back-to-back unofficial visits last month. But the Longhorns are now facing stiff competition from in-state recruiting rival Texas A&M. The Aggies recently offered, and Jimbo Fisher is personally involved in his recruitment. This one is going to be a heated battle moving forward. If Texas can get Alford to shut it down sooner than expected, it would go a long way with Eaton. The two are friends and play on the same 7v7 team.

15 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Rivals nationals has put out a couple articles with relevant info recently

Sav'ell Smalls: Plans to visit at some point during the spring or summer. He'll have a top 6 at the end of summer (5 OVs + UW)

Justin Flowe: Recently visited some SEC schools and Clemson. Nearly committed to UGA while he was there but held off. 

Kelee Ringo: His next visit will be to OU   LMAO

Mookie Cooper: I've been thinking we'd still land him later on, but his interview is a total 180 and leaves a really sour taste. In the comments Ketch said he thinks somebody negative recruited us really hard, but I don't think he actually knows anything. The big receivers comment is interesting though (and also really stupid.)

Hide contents

TORRANCE, Calif. - Teriyon Cooper made a commitment to Texas in mid-February. The coaches showed him a lot of attention, he loved the place and so his pledge was not a surprise.

The four-star athlete from St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic backed off that decision a few weeks later and that definitely caught a lot of people off-guard.

“It was kind of early,” Cooper said of the pledge this past weekend at the adidas West Coast Invitational.

“I wanted to go to UT but I wasn’t all-the-way sure if I was ready to make that decision so early. After thinking about it when I committed, I still wanted to visit other schools, see what everything else is like, see what other schools have to offer and then weigh my decision to see who’s best for me.”

Cooper’s decision to de-commit so soon after making his commitment came down to one simple explanation.

“I didn’t want to be committed to a school when I’m still out here looking at other schools to see who’s better,” Cooper said.

As for upcoming visits, the four-star athlete who looked good at receiver at the adidas tournament said he wants to see Oklahoma, LSU, Nebraska and Ohio State.

He also has a certain offensive system in mind and the four-star was not quite sure Texas’ offense perfectly fit his playing style.

“Be able to get quick players like me, get the ball in space and make big plays,” Cooper said.

“Texas throws the ball and they make big plays but I was trying to see if I could see myself there because they have a lot of big receivers. I was just trying to see if that was truly what was best for me. I’m not totally blowing UT out of the way, they’re still one of my top schools. I’m just trying to see if that’s truly where I want to be.”

Right before Cooper backed off his pledge to the Longhorns, the St. Louis Trinity Catholic prospect took another visit to Illinois. Assistant coach Cory Patterson used to be at Cooper’s high school and former teammate Shammond Cooper signed with Illinois in the 2019 class but the four-star said the trip to Champaign didn’t play a role in his Texas de-commitment.

“Everything thinks I’m going there because I de-committed right after that visit but I go to Illinois all the time,” Cooper said. “This one visit didn’t change anything. I just go up to chill. Nobody was telling me to commit to Illinois.”

Anyways, Smalls to me is a nonstarter until he makes it to campus, and it looks like Flowe might be trending that way too. Cooper seems like a total reset. I'd take Ringo over all of them though so at least that's going well.

Damn.  Thought we lead for Flowe

UGA is recruiting at a ridiculously high level right now. I think they are the best in the game at the moment. We aren’t there yet overall, but I think our “visits” have caught up to the elite level in a hurry. Herman knows the game. I won’t believe we are out of it for Flowe until he visits and says we aren’t a major player.

3 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

What are Eaton's arms do hanging like that. If he's going to line up that close to the line, he needs his hands up and ready to meet the receiver.  He makes a good recovery though.

It’s fake football. Not as bad as having OL block 1v1 with no pads or teammates at a shoe event.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

From E.J.'s periscope

- EJ is at LAX, waiting for his flight, decked out in Adidas gear. 3 hours to go... Tournament was 'insane', seven hours of nonstop 7-on-7. Shoutout to Adidas for the tournament. Best 7-on-7 circuit aside from Pylon.

- Kelee Ringo made a surprise visit to Texas. He's been on campus thrice, which tells you his interest in the university. Texas is in a very good spot. He has a lot of connections to the program (Westbrook/Beck) + he loves UT's DB tradition. Texas could jump into pole position with him soon, although it's still early. He likes blOU + Ohio State a lot as well and wants to visit there too. Washington is obviously a factor also. EJ thinks Kelee Ringo is the #1 player in the country.

- Mookie Cooper probably won't re-commit to Texas but UT continues to recruit him. He recently told the staff he's still interested. But don't get your hopes up. Have to see how the chips fall.

- Texas offered Jordan Johnson yesterday. Despite losing Mookie, Texas is still trying to get kids from St. Louis. But Texas has a lot of work to do here. ND has a good grasp on this recruitment and he's visiting them again soon. Texas might get a visit, but right now ND is in pole position.

- On DL: Prince Dorbah wants to take his time. Broughton is a wildcard and enjoys the process. Umanmielen will wait until the end of spring. But Alfred Collins could pull the trigger soon, he's a Texas legacy and it makes sense.

- Hullaby isn't a straight RB offer. He visited for practice.

- Akinola Ogunbiyi joined the periscope, EJ gave him a shout-out.

- An early commitment from Ringo would open doors for kids like Sa'vell Smalls, Wilson, Ransom, etc. Ringo would be the face of UT's recruiting efforts out West. But Ringo wants to wait until after spring and take more visits. Dream scenario is an early commitment from him. Ringo is more physical thank Elias Ricks, he has a better build and is really coming along. Very far beyond his years as far as technique.

- Derrian Brown is still recovering, respect to him and his family.

- Damien George really likes Alabama. They're a big factor in his recruitment, but George is still wide open and Texas can turn the tide here. Not a true package deal, but George and Zach probably end up at the same place.

- Texas decided Whittington was a RB back in the fall, before Texas missed on Cain. He'll need to pick up pass blocking but he has the talent.

- Xavien Alford says he wants to wait until the fall for a commitment. EJ doesn't believe him and thinks it might be sooner. LSU + A&M are involved but he really likes Texas.

- EJ CBed Akinola to blOU.

- Texas is happy with Hudson Card. No plans to chase Haynes King or Chandler Morris. Haynes was very good in the state championships, and there's an argument he's the best 2020 in-state QB this cycle along with Card. But EJ prefers Card by a small margin. EJ thinks Card is super underrated as an athlete, mentions Card was an all-state WR before switching to QB and tested really well. Now a polished passer with good mechanics, he needs to add more weight but has a very high floor and is loyal to the program.

- UT is in play with multiple five-stars, but none will decide soon. Evans, Ringo, Wilson, Flowe, etc.

- Princely visited A&M but there's not much there, blOU is the bigger threat.

- EJ still likes where Texas stands with Lindberg after the Stanford visit. But he'll make more visits.

- JoJo Earle (2021) has a strong relationship with the staff and Texas could be the early leader here.

- EJ doesn't care when kids do "Hook 'Em" upside-down. He thinks it's blOU's thing and that it's overblown.

- Texas is in a better spot with Ringo than WIlson, who has yet to visit. All about getting WIlson on campus.

- Texas is in a great spot with Preston Stone, who will come in for the Spring game. If he decided now it'd be Texas.

- EJ knows very little about Kendall Milton. UT is in the mix but don't get your hopes up. Lots of Cali guys really like that UT could land McCoy and Floyd, it really helps with kids like Ringo and Floyd.

- Ryan Watts... EJ doesn't have the best feeling here with regards to blOU. Watts chose blOU over Texas for the spring game, and if blOU locks down Jahari Rodgers Watts could follow which is really worrisome.

- Hudson isn't really active on social media, but he does work behind-the-scenes. He's a "bro".

- Joshua Eaton was very impressive this weekend at the tournament. He rose to the occasion against some of the best WRs in the country. EJ had Eaton and Watts ranked close to one another but Eaton has the edge now after studying him in 7-on-7. His technique is getting better and he'll rise in the recruiting rankings if that continues.

- Zach Evans will take his recruitment to NSD. George will probably do the same. Withthat said, timelines always fluctuate. But their plan is to wait.

- Jase McClellan... it'll take a lot to flip him. Texas or Georgia could do it. Jase's mom likes the program. Not offering Jase before blOU was a mistake on Texas' part, had they done so when Jase visited last month Jase would probably have picked Texas. Still something to watch.

- Is Smart Chibuzo decommiting? Guess he is. At the last his commitment is wavering.

- Herman spent the majority of his childhood + college in Cali and relates to those kids very well. Cal Lutheran produces many coaches, and Herman has strong ties there. For example, Herman went to school with Newbury Park HS's offensive coordinator (Rising), and was teammates with Westlake (CA)'s head coach (Floyd).

- If George picks Bama, things will get interesting.

- For 2021, Tommy Brockermeyer will probably be the first commit. No one close to commuting right now though.

- Someone named 'Cooper Cuffe' is a big fan of EJ.

- Quinten Johnson barely does interviews, hardly talks. No one knows his timeline. But Texas is in a good spot.

- Does the commitment of JUCO O-linemen affect 2020 O-linemen? "No."

- EJ doesn't care if Texas gets Bryce Young, but EJ thinks he's a great kid regardless.

- Texas has talked to Chad Johnson Jr, he's on the radar...

- It's imperative to get to know everyone in a recruitment; even EJ does it as a reporter. Kids, family, 7-on-7 coaches, trainers, are all important pieces in the puzzle.

- To be a recruiting writer, you have to be able to write (obviously) and to build relationships with everyone involved in a recruitment. You also have to 'finesse' (?). You have to go out on the road a lot and see kids often to evaluate and get to know them.

- Ronaldo > Messi.

- EJ likes Corey Flagg as a player but he's undersized. Texas will continue to look at him, and if UT offers it'll be later in the process.

- EJ thinks LAX really sucks, nothing to do, just souvenir stands + boring sandwiches. LaGuardia is bad as well. DFW airport > LAX, there's a lot more to do there. LA feels like EJ's second home now after Dallas.

- Texas will have to fight to get Demond Demas, he seems locked into A&M now.

- A&M may still in the lead for Troy Omeire, and EJ won't change his CB for the time being. But if EJ was an A&M reporter he wouldn't feel great about their CB and maybe change it to cloudy. Texas has done a good job recruiting him and likening him to Collin Johnson/LJH.

- EJ may go to Atlanta Pylon for more 7-on-7 tournaments. Someone claiming to be Kelee Ringo showed up on the Periscope (turned out to be his mom). Jake Smith is apparently helping to recruit him. Texas continues to do well in Arizona. Lathan Ransom is visiting for the spring game, plus athlete who is similar to Noa Pola-Gates from last cycle.

- If Texas doesn't get Chad Lindberg they'd have to send more offers. It'd be a big miss.

- 2020 kids like the momentum Texas has after the Sugar Bowl. Lot of kids want to take their time for now, another good season would help a lot but kids will always be on their own time. No need to worry if commits don't happen quickly. Texas vs. LSU is the big game next year.

- EJ now talking about clothing outlets. Something about PCH Los Angeles, Black Market,  and Supreme band-aids (?). Mentions that Texas should take a look at Gee Scott Jr., Ohio State WR commit from Washington (the state).

- EJ would love to see more of Justin Flowe and Johnny Wilson. EJ thinks Flowe makes it to campus eventually. Both of them played really well. Random talk about Garrett Wilson.

- Chances of Dwight McGlothern ending up at Texas are low. EJ doesn't elaborate. Thinks we should be optimistic re: Bru McCoy's NCAA appeal.

EJ said all that in 5 minutes? 

I'm calling BS on the Whittington-RB tidbit. If it were true EJ would have been tripping over his Yeezys to break/spoil the story. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Interesting blOU interview with Ryan Watts III. He talks about Lee Brice performing at blOU's Spring Game, JMBLYA in Austin, and the different opinions of recruits on each.

So Lincoln Riley listens to Lee Brice while gobblin' dicks? Okay, cool. Hook 'Em!

38 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Interesting blOU interview with Ryan Watts III. He talks about Lee Brice performing at blOU's Spring Game, JMBLYA in Austin, and the different opinions of recruits on each.

One thing I love about Herman is that he gets this shit. He knows how to be hip with the kids. I sure as hell don't but I'm glad my head coach does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

She didn't show up physically, EJ's all the way in LAX. She joined the Periscope in the same way you'd join an online chat.

Well damn. Going to have to go back to page 53 for a refresher.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:30 PM, Nick Diaz said:

Ringo's mom oh lawd

On 11/20/2018 at 11:14 PM, utfan87 said:

Edited by derp
derp

EJ after dark: Scoop on five-star CB Kelee Ringo, new offer

— Five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo made a surprise unofficial visit to Texas today. Ringo actually had no plans to visit Texas heading into the weekend. It wasn’t until after a conversation with offensive coordinator Tim Beck that sparked Ringo to catch a plane to Austin after competing in 7v7 in Los Angeles. Ringo wanted to keep the visit under wraps until he arrived on campus and got settled as he could be on the Forty Acres for an extended period of time.

— I exchanged some messages with Ringo’s mother, Tralee Hale, who told me that Ringo actually doesn’t have a return flight — Ringo can fly around freely on standby since his mother works for an airline. He might stay in Austin for his entire spring break and catch practices throughout the week. Hale is supposed to be at Texas in the morning. She was trying to catch a flight tonight but was experiencing delays. This is a huge opportunity for Texas to make an impression on her.

— Obviously, I have my Crystal Ball pick in for Texas. Ringo has visited UT more than any other program this offseason and loves what the Longhorns have to offer. He has a great connection with Beck and cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, and it’s no secret Texas has had plenty of success in Arizona. Oklahoma, Washington and Georgia are some other schools to watch, but this visit makes me feel even more confident in my pick.

— Texas hosted three-star 2020 athlete Jaden Hullaby for a visit today and extended an offer. Hullaby is listed as a running back, but that’s not exactly where the Longhorns want him. After losing Michael Henderson to Oklahoma, Texas is looking for a jumbo athlete that can serve as a fullback/tight end type. Hullaby fits that mold. The Longhorns also talked to him about playing linebacker. Texas is high on his mind after the visit.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

EJ after dark: Scoop on five-star CB Kelee Ringo, new offer

Hide contents

— Five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo made a surprise unofficial visit to Texas today. Ringo actually had no plans to visit Texas heading into the weekend. It wasn’t until after a conversation with offensive coordinator Tim Beck that sparked Ringo to catch a plane to Austin after competing in 7v7 in Los Angeles. Ringo wanted to keep the visit under wraps until he arrived on campus and got settled as he could be on the Forty Acres for an extended period of time.

— I exchanged some messages with Ringo’s mother, Tralee Hale, who told me that Ringo actually doesn’t have a return flight — Ringo can fly around freely on standby since his mother works for an airline. He might stay in Austin for his entire spring break and catch practices throughout the week. Hale is supposed to be at Texas in the morning. She was trying to catch a flight tonight but was experiencing delays. This is a huge opportunity for Texas to make an impression on her.

— Obviously, I have my Crystal Ball pick in for Texas. Ringo has visited UT more than any other program this offseason and loves what the Longhorns have to offer. He has a great connection with Beck and cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, and it’s no secret Texas has had plenty of success in Arizona. Oklahoma, Washington and Georgia are some other schools to watch, but this visit makes me feel even more confident in my pick.

— Texas hosted three-star 2020 athlete Jaden Hullaby for a visit today and extended an offer. Hullaby is listed as a running back, but that’s not exactly where the Longhorns want him. After losing Michael Henderson to Oklahoma, Texas is looking for a jumbo athlete that can serve as a fullback/tight end type. Hullaby fits that mold. The Longhorns also talked to him about playing linebacker. Texas is high on his mind after the visit.

So when Ringo’s mom isn’t on Lake Havasu, she’s working for an airline. Got it EJ.