Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

— I exchanged some messages with Ringo’s mother, Tralee Hale, who told me that Ringo actually doesn’t have a return flight — Ringo can fly around freely on standby since his mother works for an airline. He might stay in Austin for his entire spring break and catch practices throughout the week. Hale is supposed to be at Texas in the morning. She was trying to catch a flight tonight but was experiencing delays. This is a huge opportunity for Texas to make an impression on her.

I would also like to make an impression on Ms Hale.  

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-tuesday-march-12th/

Recruiting Note | Kelee Ringo Visitng
– Charlie S

*** As we first reported yesterday in an Insider Note on the Donor Board, 2020 defensive back Kelee Ringo out of Scottsdale, AZ (Saguaro) is currently in Austin on an unofficial visit.

Ringo’s high school is on spring break and he decided to come spend some time at Texas. Not a bad thing for the Horns at all.

Updates | 2020 QBs Card and Jackson
– Will Baizer

One of the top players in the state and one of Texas’ top prospects in the 2020 class is Duncanville’s 6’2″, 220-pound quarterback, Ja’Quinden Jackson.

The big-bodied quarterback is a menace with the ball in his hands. He’s faster than he appears on film with a 4.52 forty-time, but a very patient runner. Behind his 220-pound frame, he isn’t afraid to bull guys over but uses that as a last resort as he prefers to use his smooth running ability to weave between defenders.

During the camp last weekend, Jackson displayed a rocket of an arm, as I heard a few media members awe at the speed he whipped the ball out of the pocket, but he also displayed some great touch and accuracy on his deep balls. Here is a video of every throw I recorded of Ja’Quinden Jackson last weekend:

If Jackson wants to be a quarterback at the next level, one thing I would clean up with his game would be his touch on intermediate passes and on the run. From what I’ve seen, it seems that he has a bit of trouble distinguishing the touch between deep/short passes and intermediate passes.

If Jackson isn’t a quarterback at the next level, I don’t see a position on the field (that’s not on the line) that doesn’t fit him. He’s a threat with the ball in his hands, and he has the makeup to be a very high-ceiling defensive player at linebacker or safety.

Whether or not he is a quarterback at the next level seems to be something that he is open to as well, as long as it is on his own terms: “I can [play other positions], but I don’t want to go in there and do something that I haven’t been doing…”

While Texas is recruiting him as a quarterback, they have made it clear that they want to get him on campus and see what happens by recruiting him there for the position of “…Just come here and play, but I think it’s mainly quarterback.”

Jackson is very insular in his recruitment. Still, he has made it clear throughout the process that Texas is one of the schools that has kept his attention. When I spoke to him, that sentiment seemed to still stand: “They’re up there. They’re in my top ten. It’s a fun environment. They have a great program. It’s just a great school, and they had a great year of football.”

I asked Jackson to name some of the other schools that are really recruiting him heavily. Those schools were: “Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Baylor, LSU, and Georgia.”

Texas’ first commit of the 2020 class and quarterback, Hudson Card, appears to be another impression evaluation job by Tim Beck and Tom Herman. Card measured in at 6’3″ and 179-pounds.

While he only had a 4.82 forty-time, his shuttle was an impressive 4.03. These two numbers very much describe how Card looks on the field with the ball in his hand. He is a striding runner who won’t impress you with his north-south speed, but he is very twitchy and able to use that to make guys miss with a side-step.

Dropping back to throw, Hudson Card possesses something that, if you don’t have, takes the best of the best quarterback coaches to teach. Accuracy and touch. Those are the reason’s Hudson Card was invited to the Elite 11. He displayed phenomenal accuracy at all levels of the passing game along with some great touch and recognition.

There are a few areas of Hudson’s game that could use some work such as filling out his frame, his track speed, and his footwork. On the field, he looks like a string bean. Yancy McKnight will likely fix this easy. The harder fix will be his footwork. Sometimes he gets heavy feet in the pocket which means he doesn’t always get his feet to his target. This is likely a rhythm thing he developed, but getting his feet to his target will help the delivery of the ball to that target.

There is not much to give in ways of updates on Hudson Card as it is hard to be more solidly committed than he is currently. He seems to be as fine with the idea of having multiple quarterbacks in the same class as he was when Malik Hornsby’s name was being thrown around, and he’s taking an active roll in recruiting, “I think out class started off really well. Obviously, you have three lineman and Mookie Cooper as well. We’re now working for Chad Lindberg and Zach Evans… We all talk to each other on a daily basis.”

Hudson Card will not be visiting anywhere else at this time other than Texas for Spring practices and the Spring game.

After the last two quarterback class saga that played out this past January, I understand some Longhorns’ fans apprehension to the idea of another two quarterback class (especially now that we in the age of the almighty Portal). Here is my personal take on the matter.

There are two major differentiators in this scenario than there were in the last.

1. There may be actual competition

When these guys get onto campus, it will likely be Sam Ehlinger’s Senior year (assuming he stays all four years). After they redshirt, the door will be open to a real quarterback battle between whichever quarterback(s) is in the 2021 class, the (theoretical) two quarterbacks in the 2020 class, and Roschon Johnson. Unlike what we saw last season where Sam Ehlinger ran away with the job, there will likely be an actual competition at the quarterback

2. The QB’s Texas is going after are athletes

Unlike Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson, Hudson Card and Ja’Quiden Jackson are athletes. I mean that as a positional term.

Hudson Card has a good build for a wide receiver and excelled at the position his first year in high school. While his forty-time is a bit of a turnoff, his 38″ vertical and shuttle speed make up for it. Hudson would likely be a better quarterback, but if that doesn’t work out he can be a good receiver.

Ja’Quinden Jackson is easier. He is a guy who, if he doesn’t work out at quarterback, can fit in almost any position and is fine with playing another position.

Notes and Quotes | Offensive Line Commits and Prospects
– Will Baizer

We already know that the 2021 year will be as special a year for offensive tackles as 2020 is special for running backs (very special). There are about seven or nine offensive tackles in the state who can put their claim in for the best 2021 offensive tackle. Luckily for Longhorn fans, Herb Hand has done a tremendous job recruiting every one of them and has Texas is a no-miss situation. The three that I am bouncing between as the best are EHS’s Donovan Jackson, Katy Taylor’s Hayden Conner, and All-Saints’ Tommy Brockermeyer.

Over the past weekend, 2021 Tommy Brockermeyer made a strong case for the top spot, not just in Texas, but in the entire 2021 class overall. Just judging by his build, he is impressive, measuring in at 6’6″, at 283-pounds, a 5.10 forty, and an 80″ wingspan.

In drills that are slanted towards the defensive line, Tommy consistently saw guys who were older than him and guys who have names in the recruiting world, and he dominated:

Including this three rep series where he held down Prince Dorbah to have one or two wins.

The flaw in his game appears to be the speed rushers. While he has quick feet and fast hands, he appears to like to get body-to-body on his linemen. That is going to backfire at times against speedsters by causing him to lunge out while trying to get hold of the rusher, allowing the rusher to get him off base (as seen above).

When it comes to his commitment, Tommy knows what he wants, “Being an NFL lineman is the main goal for me. Going to a college where they can help me get to the next level.” This appears to be the main thing he focuses on where ever he visits. Those are the stats he is remembering like when he told me that, “The one thing he remembers is that TCU has the most tackles in the NFL right now.”

With his standing on Texas, there is much to update. Herb Hand is still killing it here, especially with the idea of making it to the next level, “He’s been doing a great job down at Texas. First year there, the numbers already went up. He’s produced lots of NFL lineman.” It also helps that, as he told me, almost all the clothes in his closet have SMU (where his dad coached) or Texas (where he played) on them.

He told us that he will be back down to visit Texas on the 11th and 12th for Spring practices, then for Spring Break will be headed to Big 10 land to see Iowa and Michigan.

The 2020 class may not be as strong as the 2021 class, but it is still pretty darn good. Texas commits Logan Parr and Jake Majors were at the camp last week, where I was able to scout them without pads.

When you watch the below video, please remember that even Tommy Brockermeyer (who some are calling the best tackle in the state) has trouble during these camps.

With that being said, in my honest opinion, Texas’ offensive guard commits did not do particularly great.

Jake Majors is one guy who had quite a bit of trouble during the Opening:

The above plays are all the videos I took of him during this camp.

I think the main problem here is very fixable. He lacks the strength to play inside and has trouble getting leverage. These two combined mean he is very easily driven back. For a guy you want to be the center, that’s a problem. Luckily, putting size and strength on a guy is something that has gotten very easy due to leaps in the field of nutrition.

On the other side there is Logan Parr, who while his camp was considerably better than Majors’ and a huge step up from what I saw in Houston, was still lacking:

As you can see from the tape above, it was still good enough to get him an invite to the Opening Finals this summer, but he struggled in a few key areas.

The most obvious area is his strength. He needs more of it to stand up against the bigger rushers who will try to bowl him over.

That rip through move he fell victim two twice is an indication that either his hand placement is an issue, his arms are too stiff, or his stance has him over his feet, so when he gets ripped through he cannot recover. I’m guessing it’s a mix of all three.

This is something that I’ve seen in other offensive linemen as well. It isn’t something like accuracy for a quarterback. These are habits that need to be instilled through practice.

I just did all that evaluation during the camp, and I am sure Herb Hand does not care about it whatsoever. In fact, I know he doesn’t. Herb Hand is not looking for the guy who wins the most reps without pads on, (although 2020 OT Nathan Anderson is a guy to keep an eye on because he has killed it two weeks in a row). He is looking for a few key features:

The frame – Logan Parr and Jake Majors both have similar frames. They are 6’3″, 280-pounds with high rear-ends and moldable bodies.

The brain – From all reports, both these guys are exceptional in the film room. They also have the tape showing very technical ability with pads on.

The motor – Just watching these guys work on the film, it is pretty obvious what he sees. These guys work past the whistle and try to do as much bodily harm as they can before they can be stopped.

Short and sweet, Herb Hand is looking for guys who even if they may not be finished products, have the physical and mental attributes to become good offensive linemen. Just like Jason Washington, he has a type. Then when they get to campus, he wants to coach them up.

Texas fans have seen this with Calvin Anderson and Samuel Cosmi and will see it with Christian Jones, Tyler Johnson, Willie Tyler, and Javonne Shepherd.

Weekend Visitor | Quick-Hitters
– Super K

I’m still out on the road seeing some players but I did get a chance to exchange a few texts with weekend visitor, 2020 LB, Josh White. I also spoke with a source about the weekend visits. As you know, Troy Omeire was on campus as well.

***Both White and Omeire went to Austin on Saturday and actually stayed over till Sunday.

***Josh told me he loves it in Austin and said following the visit, “I’ve got to get home and gotta start making some real decisions”

***Josh has wanted to get things done early and going into this visit, LSU and OU were among the teams to beat. I think it’s safe to say that Texas has solidified themselves in that top group.

***I haven’t spoken with Omeire yet but source tells me that he the visit was a home run. I think the Horns took a big step forward here.

More on these later

Just now, Dondrysdale1 said:

Ja’Quinden Jackson listed aggy on the Braniac quote. That is the first time I have seen them listed with him. You think he might be a target for them if Hornsby is not? I would much rather them take Hornsby than be involved in that recruitment.

They've been in it for a bit. They realized Hornsby isn't worth the trouble with his miserable winter camps.

5 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Ja’Quinden Jackson listed aggy on the Braniac quote. That is the first time I have seen them listed with him. You think he might be a target for them if Hornsby is not? I would much rather them take Hornsby than be involved in that recruitment.

Almost every other team high up for Jackson actually has a QB in their class. aggy doesn’t. They can sell Jackson on being their QB1. 

• Like 1

Eric Nahlin: Do-it-all Ty Jordan checks all the boxes

After Mookie Cooper de-committed a popular question was, "can Ty Jordan take his place?" My response was that the staff viewed the West Mesquite standout as a running back, while Cooper was more of a wide receiver. That's probably still the case, but...

When I was leaving the Endzone 7 on 7 tournament on Sunday I stopped to talk with one of the founders of DFW-based True Buzz. This is a talented team led by Ken Seals at quarterback and Jahari Rogers and Ryan Watts at cornerback. Bryan Leonard told me after his team won easily, "we'll look better with Ty Jordan getting here tomorrow." 

Knowing running backs don't serve a great purpose in this setting I figured I'd be able to glean a lot regarding Jordan as a receiver. I asked Leonard about him and heard more than I bargained for. Said Leonard, "I don't think there's a better running back in the state. He can do it all. What sets him apart is he can be Tyreek Hill as a receiver. When we need a conversion we go to him."

Talent is only part of the equation. As effusive in his praise as he was about Jordan's athleticism, he said he's a much better person. "He's never going to give you problems. He has good grades. He works extremely hard. I could call him at two in the morning and say let's go to work and he'll jump out of bed." 

Jordan missed the first day of the event because he was taking the SAT's. When I asked him how he did, he said he felt like he did well. 

On Sunday I quipped to Seals, the talented quarterback who may end up in A&M's class, that I needed to see Ty get some targets. He responed, "that's going to happen anyways." 

After talking to Jordan's coach and quarterback I was eager to watch him play receiver. My thinking was that Texas could take him as both a slot/running back and figure the rest out on campus when needs and numbers became more clear. But first, I needed to make sure he had the ability. 

Jordan certainly has the movement skills and hands for the position. The same things we see at running back - short area quickness and acceleration - translate. He also goes up and gets the ball like a natural receiver. Some of the routes were a bit rough, to be expected, especially when I saw him on the one natural grass (read: sloppy) field. At a minimum he can be a screen and sweep slot, though the ability to become a downfield threat was evident too.

After watching Jordan play I caught up with him.

Schools recruiting him the hardest:
"Schools I hear from the most..I hear from OU a lot; I hear from Texas a lot; I hear from U of H a lot. I'm really starting to build a relationship with OU, and I'm hearing from USC a lot. So those are the top schools I'm hearing from."

Oklahoma's running backs coach, Jay Boulware, went with the old 'keep the player warm' standby of, we'll offer as soon as we see you live. OU is recruiting him hard, and overall has displayed a masterful approach at the recruiting the position this cycle. 

How are things with Texas:
"It's going pretty well. I talk to Coach Drayton a lot. He's very close to me, close to my mom. He just pushes me, talks to me about getting better as a football player and as a person and as a student; to stay focused in school despite what I'm going through and stuff."

My sense is that Texas isn't going to be able to yo-yo recruit Jordan. Consistent pressure will need to be applied. I'm not saying they need to go all-in, but they can't let contact dry up and then expect to steal him late.

What fit are schools recruiting him for:
"Kind of like a three-dimensional back. I can run it, block, and go to slot and run some routes too."

He is short, not small:
"Last time I weighed I was 186 but I think I gained weight since then."

I think he can carry a bigger workload than most project for him in college. He's densely built and will play at about 195-200 pounds. A true pinball back with breakaway speed. These guys are also hell to tackle in the screen game.

How is track season going?
"I haven't been doing open events, just relays -- the 4x1, 4x2 and 4x4. Last year I ran a 10.6 100 and 21.9 in the 200. I feel like I'm faster now, though." 

Jordan seemingly has a lot of things going in his favor: the mental evaluation checks out, the need is there at running back but he also fits the luxury want of an explosive slot receiver, and he offers protection and versatility within the class. With him in the fold you can still pursue two blue-chip volume carriers provided you sell Jordan on a clear fit. If you like him more at slot, you're not crowding out anyone else with needs being on the outside.

He didn't mention them, but I've also heard Arkansas is a school to watch. You know Chad Morris will offer him an exciting pitch. 

Jordan has no timeline to make a decision. "I'm just going to do my studying and research about the colleges."

In the meantime, Texas will get a better idea of how he fits in the class and go from there.

39 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Suddenly I'm glad Texas has struggled to recruit IMG kids... not that it did any good for men's tennis

So we've been led to believe for years that Stanford doesn't lower admissions requirements for recruits, even in football.

Today we find out that is complete and total bullshit. It's apparently worth hundreds of thousands of dollars for their fucking SAILING coach to say you're a recruited athlete in order to help with the admissions process.

The entire brand and aura they've created around getting admitted as a football recruit is one hundred percent bullshit.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So we've been led to believe for years that Stanford doesn't lower admissions requirements for recruits, even in football.

Today we find out that is complete and total bullshit. It's apparently worth hundreds of thousands of dollars for their fucking SAILING coach to say you're a recruited athlete in order to help with the admissions process.

The entire brand and aura they've created around getting admitted as a football recruit is one hundred percent bullshit.

I thought it was pretty clear that it's a lower bar than for non-athletes, but still higher than your garden variety college admissions process. Similar to how the Ivies need their recruits to collectively hit an average academic target score (created by blending test scores and GPA).

The scandal lets the dumb rich kids freeload on the smarter athletes and get rolled into that athletic average.

Edited by texifornia

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Eric Nahlin: Do-it-all Ty Jordan checks all the boxes

Hide contents

After Mookie Cooper de-committed a popular question was, "can Ty Jordan take his place?" My response was that the staff viewed the West Mesquite standout as a running back, while Cooper was more of a wide receiver. That's probably still the case, but...

When I was leaving the Endzone 7 on 7 tournament on Sunday I stopped to talk with one of the founders of DFW-based True Buzz. This is a talented team led by Ken Seals at quarterback and Jahari Rogers and Ryan Watts at cornerback. Bryan Leonard told me after his team won easily, "we'll look better with Ty Jordan getting here tomorrow." 

Knowing running backs don't serve a great purpose in this setting I figured I'd be able to glean a lot regarding Jordan as a receiver. I asked Leonard about him and heard more than I bargained for. Said Leonard, "I don't think there's a better running back in the state. He can do it all. What sets him apart is he can be Tyreek Hill as a receiver. When we need a conversion we go to him."

Talent is only part of the equation. As effusive in his praise as he was about Jordan's athleticism, he said he's a much better person. "He's never going to give you problems. He has good grades. He works extremely hard. I could call him at two in the morning and say let's go to work and he'll jump out of bed." 

Jordan missed the first day of the event because he was taking the SAT's. When I asked him how he did, he said he felt like he did well. 

On Sunday I quipped to Seals, the talented quarterback who may end up in A&M's class, that I needed to see Ty get some targets. He responed, "that's going to happen anyways." 

After talking to Jordan's coach and quarterback I was eager to watch him play receiver. My thinking was that Texas could take him as both a slot/running back and figure the rest out on campus when needs and numbers became more clear. But first, I needed to make sure he had the ability. 

Jordan certainly has the movement skills and hands for the position. The same things we see at running back - short area quickness and acceleration - translate. He also goes up and gets the ball like a natural receiver. Some of the routes were a bit rough, to be expected, especially when I saw him on the one natural grass (read: sloppy) field. At a minimum he can be a screen and sweep slot, though the ability to become a downfield threat was evident too.

After watching Jordan play I caught up with him.

Schools recruiting him the hardest:
"Schools I hear from the most..I hear from OU a lot; I hear from Texas a lot; I hear from U of H a lot. I'm really starting to build a relationship with OU, and I'm hearing from USC a lot. So those are the top schools I'm hearing from."

Oklahoma's running backs coach, Jay Boulware, went with the old 'keep the player warm' standby of, we'll offer as soon as we see you live. OU is recruiting him hard, and overall has displayed a masterful approach at the recruiting the position this cycle. 

How are things with Texas:
"It's going pretty well. I talk to Coach Drayton a lot. He's very close to me, close to my mom. He just pushes me, talks to me about getting better as a football player and as a person and as a student; to stay focused in school despite what I'm going through and stuff."

My sense is that Texas isn't going to be able to yo-yo recruit Jordan. Consistent pressure will need to be applied. I'm not saying they need to go all-in, but they can't let contact dry up and then expect to steal him late.

What fit are schools recruiting him for:
"Kind of like a three-dimensional back. I can run it, block, and go to slot and run some routes too."

He is short, not small:
"Last time I weighed I was 186 but I think I gained weight since then."

I think he can carry a bigger workload than most project for him in college. He's densely built and will play at about 195-200 pounds. A true pinball back with breakaway speed. These guys are also hell to tackle in the screen game.

How is track season going?
"I haven't been doing open events, just relays -- the 4x1, 4x2 and 4x4. Last year I ran a 10.6 100 and 21.9 in the 200. I feel like I'm faster now, though." 

Jordan seemingly has a lot of things going in his favor: the mental evaluation checks out, the need is there at running back but he also fits the luxury want of an explosive slot receiver, and he offers protection and versatility within the class. With him in the fold you can still pursue two blue-chip volume carriers provided you sell Jordan on a clear fit. If you like him more at slot, you're not crowding out anyone else with needs being on the outside.

He didn't mention them, but I've also heard Arkansas is a school to watch. You know Chad Morris will offer him an exciting pitch. 

Jordan has no timeline to make a decision. "I'm just going to do my studying and research about the colleges."

In the meantime, Texas will get a better idea of how he fits in the class and go from there.

Nahlin is the best.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

I thought it was pretty clear that it's a lower bar than for non-athletes, but still higher than your garden variety college admissions process. Similar to how the Ivies need their recruits to collectively hit an average academic target score (created by blending test scores and GPA).

The scandal lets the dumb rich kids freeload on the smarter athletes and get rolled into that athletic average.

You may know it, but many don't. Otherwise their administration wouldn't feel the need to lie about it and then get called out by their own alumni.

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2015/02/22/the-price-of-athletics-at-stanford/

Perhaps the most controversial aspect of this trade-off is admissions standards for athletes. Many of my friends at Stanford with whom I have discussed athletic admissions are under the impression that academic standards for admission are essentially the same for athletes and non-athletes, even in high revenue sports like football. This impression is pushed by the athletics department. When Duke University economist Charles Clotfelter gave a presentation at Stanford claiming that universities were making academic concessions, including relaxed admissions standards, in order to have successful athletic programs, Stanford’s senior associate athletic director responded: “I beg to differ on that. We haven’t lowered our academic standards.” Football coach David Shaw has repeated this mantra: Responding to critics claiming that Stanford had relaxed its academic standards to achieve football success, he claimed, “We have the same academic standards.”

But this is not actually true. Although we do not have comprehensive statistics comparing athletic admits to regular admits, some data does exist. Looking at a group of 10 elite colleges and using SAT scores (on the 1600 point scale) as a proxy for academic ability, Princeton researchers found that being a recruited athlete gave an admissions boost equivalent to scoring 200 points higher on the SAT. We can also look at high school scouting reports for football players. Looking at the Stanford recruitment class of 2009 (this year was quite typical in terms of test scores), the median football player who reported scores got an 1800 out of 2400 on the SAT and 26 on the ACT. Based on university statistics, this puts the football median comfortably in the bottom quartile and likely somewhere in the bottom 10 percent in terms of test scores. Stanford football players are quite smart, but the data suggests they place near the bottom of Stanford’s admits.

• Like 1

We Class of 2020 Safety and Corner Class

These are the names of either offers who have visited or Texas has shown interest in.  Anxious to see how it comes together. Anybody want to take a guess as to who we end up with?

Corner:

Kelee Ringo

Jalen Kimber

Ryan Watts

Joshua Eaton

Kitan Crawford

Clark Phillips

Green-warren 

Dwight McGlothern

Elias Ricks

Safety:

Bryson Washington

Lathan Ransom

Chris Thompson Jr

Xavien Alford

am I missing a safety?

Any Texas interest in Jacobe Covington?

he is a teammate of Kelee Ringo and another guy from Tim Becks old High School. Also the reason people keep saying Ringo is liking OU if the crystal balls are right.

Edited by Dondrysdale1

22 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

These are the names of either offers who have visited or Texas has shown interest in.  Anxious to see how it comes together. Anybody want to take a guess as to who we end up with?

Corner:

Kelee Ringo

Jalen Kimber

Ryan Watts

Joshua Eaton

Kitan Crawford

Clark Phillips

Green-warren 

Dwight McGlothern

Elias Ricks

Safety:

Bryson Washington

Lathan Ransom

Chris Thompson Jr

Xavien Alford

am I missing a safety?

Any Texas interest in Jacobe Covington?

he is a teammate of Kelee Ringo and another guy from Tim Becks old High School. Also the reason people keep saying Ringo is liking OU if the crystal balls are right.

Alford is being recruited as a Nickel.  Phillips is probably a Nickel as well, but Alford is way more likely atm.

Don't think we can go wrong anyway at the Safety position.

Ringo is obviously #1 at the CB spot.  Land him and we can be selective with the remaining one ( or 2 ?? )  Sounds like the staff likes Kimber the best in-state.  Watts and Eaton are similar types.  Crawford has the speed that Herman has talked about wanting to get.  Cross off McGlothern and Ricks.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 1

Mike Roach: Four-star DB Ryan Watts reviews recent Texas visit

Ryan Watts is seeing hi stock skyrocket. The four-star cornerback from Little Elm picked up a ton of offers during the spring, and he made his way through a few campuses on unofficial visits. Watts was in Austin for Texas junior day, and he said that he loved the at-home feeling in Austin. “It was great,” he said. “It was a nice facility and the hospitality was off the charts. I really enjoyed myself.”

Watts was one of the last prospects to leave the facility during junior day, and he got a lengthy look at what Texas brings to the table. “The hospitality and getting to talk to the coaches was the best part,” he said. “Just getting to talk to the coaches a lot and seeing their real personality away from the phone. Seeing in-person everything Texas has to offer was great.”

Watts was also able to spend some time with Texas cornerback coach Jason Washington. His film session with Washington gave him an idea of how he could be used, but it also helped him get to know Washington on a personal level. “He’s one of my favorite coaches now," Watts said. "He’s passionate, caring and energetic. He brings a ton of energy to the game, and I know I’d like to be coached by him."

Watts doesn’t have a top schools list right now, but Texas made a statement during the visit. Watts went as far as to say they would instantly be in his highest tier of schools recruiting him. “I had Texas in my Top 10 and the visit really blew my mind," he said. "They are going to be in my Top 3. I just need to get my mom up here to see it." Watts is aiming to take his official visits during the spring before making a summer decision. He plans to return to Austin for a spring practice. At 6-foot-2.5, 187 pounds, Watts is ranked as the No. 30 cornerback in the nation and No. 48 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

E.J. Holland: Five-star LB Justin Flowe goes in-depth on Texas

Justin Flowe has his pick of the litter. The five-star inside linebacker out of Upland (Calif.) holds 40 offers and is one of the most sought after recruits in the country. Right now, Flowe is just starting to engrain himself in the process. “Everything is going pretty well,” Flowe said. “I’m just trying to find out where I’m going to college, so I’ve been getting deep into that. I’ve been checking out a lot of schools. I just came back from all the SEC schools. I’m supposed to be at Texas in a couple of weeks.”

Texas made some waves along the West Coast last recruiting cycle, landing elite talents like Bru McCoy and De’Gabriel Floyd, which has definitely caught Flowe’s attention. In fact, Flowe is part of the same 7v7 program (Premium Sports) that produced both Floyd and McCoy. And he speaks to both on a regular basis. “Bru and Gabe are my boys,” Flowe said. “It’s pretty cool knowing that they are both over at Texas. They tell me that it’s a really great school and that they love it out there.”

Flowe is also building a strong relationship with Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando. “I talk to Coach Orlando all the time,” Flowe said. “He’s a really good coach. He tells me that he could see me starting as a true freshman. He said he could see me playing inside or outside. It’s just about where I fit the best.” So where does Texas stand heading into the potential visit? “The Longhorns stand pretty high,” Flowe said. “It’s a really good school. It’s a place I could see myself going to. It’s a school that I could see myself really balling out at. I’ve known about Texas since I was a kid. I just want to visit and feel comfortable.”

Flowe plans to make a decision closer to the end of his senior season. At 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, Flowe is ranked as the No. 1 inside linebacker and No. 3 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

2 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Uhh...

Spoiler

ERRYBODY!

On 3/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, Machinator said:

The question remaining is whether or not Parker will play or red-shirt. We're betting on playing:

While he'd (Parker's dad) love for Parker to shirt (and agreed on how), he's not holding his breath. In fact (after watching his share of film on our Oline) he expects Parker to start and not shirt simply because "you play your best five - always". When you're an HC making $5M you don't want to risk not bringing your A game, roster-wise included. Yancy was indeed the man. Herman, staff evidenced total alignment throughout the weekend in ways other schools haven't/don't. Measured/weighed in at 6-3, 292.

Who writes this shit?  Junior high dropouts?

• Like 1