Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-weekend-march-22nd-24th/

Hide contents

Troy Omeire | Sourced Update
– Super K

2020 WR, Troy Omeire, recently took an unofficial visit to Texas. Sources indicated that the visit went very well.

Texas needed a big visit because going into Texas A&M was trending pretty hard.

A few days ago, Omeire tweeted out the following…

I reached out to Omeire for comment or for a decision date and haven’t heard back just yet.

I did speak to a source about where things seem to be trending.

Omeire recently talked about taking some out of state visits including a visit to Oklahoma. That didn’t pan out and my source tells me that Omeire’s family would prefer he stay close to home.

So, this one will likely come down to Texas an Texas A&M.

Source  close to Omeire tells me that right now it’s “75% Texas A&M 25% Texas”.

That take corroborates what I’ve heard from sources around the Texas program. I don’t get the sense that they feel great about where they stand but don’t necessarily feel out of it.

Kelee Ringo | Insider Note | Trending
– Super K

As you all know, Kelee made his third unofficial visit to Texas last week.

He ended up staying in Austin for his entire spring break. So, I’m not sure we can just call that a third visit. It feels like that length of time should be considered a third, fourth, and fifth unofficial visit.

Either way, the point is, he is very comfortable in Austin and at UT.

I’ve spoken to multiple sources about this but to be honest it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure this one out but I’ll spell it out for you anyway.

This one is trending hard towards Texas.

He still has visits to take and last time I spoke with him, he didn’t have plans on making an early decision, but it’s moving in the right direction.

Insider Note

If he had to pull the trigger today, it would be Texas. Was told it’s more of a ‘when’ not ‘if’. Source indicated that Texas is his outright leader.

He’s just not ready to shut it down at this point.

Trending | Duncanville Duo
– Andrew King

Two of the top recruits in the state of Texas in the 2020 class hail from Duncanville High School in athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson and safety Chris Thompson Jr.

Both are players that don’t talk to the media much and aren’t taking visits every weekend like a lot of recruits. But Texas was able to get Jackson and Thompson on campus last weekend, and it seems like they really enjoyed things.

Thompson has taken a visit to LSU this Spring and Texas A&M was once considered close to gaining a commitment from him early in the 2018 season. Jackson really hasn’t been anywhere but has interest from all over the country.

I wasn’t able to talk to either recruit directly but was told that Texas is in a good spot with both guys right now.

Remember that Rashaad Samples is the son of Duncanville head coach Reginald Samples.

Looks like Riley is going all-in on the spring game for blOU recruiting. Good thing Lee Brice will be there to wow the croots 😁

Some 247 ranking changes today: https://247sports.com/Article/Demond-Demas-five-star-Princely-Umanmielen-Jalin-Conyers-130374660/

This week's Four-Star Friday (and in this case Five-Star) has a distinct Texas flavor, as we were on hand in Houston over the weekend for The Opening. The event featured dozens of the Lone Star State's top prospects over the 2020, 2021 and 2020 cycles. For this update, we're focusing on 2020 prospects who made an impression in Clutch City.

Texas A&M wide receiver pledge Demond Demas had a dominant showing at The Opening regional, earning Alpha Dog honors from 247Sports. The 6-foot-2.5, 182-pounder posted outstanding athletic testing numbers running a 4.43 second 40-yard dash (the event's fastest), 4.30 second short shuttle and a 37.3 inch vertical. Demas' athleticism later transferred over to position drills and 1-on-1's as he was flashed outstanding downfield speed and ball skills. This isn't a one-off, as he's turned in several strong camp and 7-on-7 showings this spring. Demas has a rare combination of twitchy explosiveness (also a state champion long jumper) and playmaking ability that points toward one of the higher ceilings we've seen from a wide receiver prospect in several cycles.

The move: Demas gains his fifth star, moving to No. 11 overall, just one spot behind Zachary Evans as the top prospect in the state of Texas and shortening the gap between he and Julian Fleming (No. 5 overall) as the top wide receiver in the 2020 cycle. Should Demas have a strong senior season as we think he will, it wouldn't be surprising to see him end up as the top prospect in Texas and the top wide receiver nationally.

New Top247 entrants

Princely Umanmielen was 247Sports' top performer on the defensive side of the ball. At 6-foot-4, 256 pounds, Umanmielen registered a 4.41 second short shuttle and 34.7 inch vertical jump before showing well in drills and 1-on-1's. The Manor (Texas) product has positional versatility, lining up at both five technique and 3 technique and using his quickness and length to beat offensive linemen. This follows a strong showing at the Under Armour event in Houston earlier in the offseason. His Crystal Ball is currently split between Oklahoma (2 picks) and Texas (1 pick).

The move: Umanmielen jumps from a three-star and No. 528 overall up to No. 180 and the No. 11 strongside defensive end in the 2020 cycle.

After Demas, Ja'Lynn Polk was the clear second best wide receiver over the course of the event. The Lufkin (Texas) pass catcher won the vast majority of his reps making use of top-notch ball skills. The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder was able to get separation off the line of scrimmage against top defensive backs and finished plays at a high level with a large catch radius and sticky hands. Among a group of talented wide receivers, Polk looked like a no doubt four-star prospect. Arkansas currently accounts for all four of the picks in Polk's Crystal Ball.

The move: Polk moves from the No. 473 overall prospect all the way up to No. 204 and from the No. 84 wide receiver to No. 38 within the position.

You probably haven't heard of Gruver, Texas. The Texas panhandle town with a population of 1,194 is closer to Denver than Dallas. Look for college coaches to start making the trek to Gruver during the evaluation period to see defensive end/athlete Jalin Conyers. While Conyers wasn't at the The Opening regional, he's a prospect on the rise in Texas and has made a quick impression on both 247Sports and college staffs. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder is a highly versatile player and overall athlete. He plays all over the field for Gruver, lining up at quarterback, wide receiver and linebacker–making big plays at each spot. The athleticism and size are intriguing and further backed up on the basketball court, where Conyers is capable of throwing down windmill dunks. With offers in hand from Missouri, Texas Tech and Louisiana, don't be surprised to see Conyers' recruitment explode in short order.

The move: Conyers makes his debut within the Top247 as the No. 212 overall prospect.

Three-stars of note

-Running back John Gentry has flown under the radar as the backup to Zachary Evans at powerhouse North Shore in Houston. But make no mistake, the 5-foot-10, 186-pounder is a high-level prospect in his own right. Gentry showed an impressive all-around skill set at The Opening regional with effortless cutting and change of direction in open field drills. He was one of the few backs that could change direction without having to gear down. Gentry also catches the ball cleanly and posted strong numbers during the athletic testing portion. Gentry, who holds offers from Arkansas, North Texas, UNLV and Utah State moves up to a high three-star with a grade of 89 and could claim a fourth star with a strong senior season.

-Channelview (Texas) center Paula Vaipulu was the top 2020 interior lineman at the event, impressing with quick feet and a strong base. Working at center, Vaipulu won the majority of his reps and was among the few 2020 offensive linemen on hand to crack the pivotal 5.0 second threshold in the short shuttle. With his showing, Vaipulu, who holds offers from Missouri, Nebraska, Houston and SMU earns a grade of 88.

-Richmond (Texas) Fort Bend Travis wide receiver Parker Washington started his weekend off with a bang, posting one of the nation's best athletic testing ratings at The Opening's combine on Saturday. He backed that up on the following day with a strong showing at the camp. One of Texas' most productive wide receivers as a junior, Washington was a tough cover in 1-on-1's, using his quickness and burst to win with consistency on underneath routes. Washington's grade gets a bump from 85 to 87.

Downtrends

-Athleticism is an overlooked but pivotal evaluation point on the offensive line. Chad Lindberg, Akinola Ogunbiyi and Damieon George all checked in at their heaviest weights to date and posted less than ideal testing numbers to varying degrees. Each slides back relative to their prior rankings.

-Vernon Broughton has an impressive frame, carrying 286 pounds. Relatively new to football, Broughton is raw as a player but also wasn't as explosive as we expected. We're still high on his upside, but feel a slide back within the Top247 is merited.

-There's no question Troy Omeire passes the eye test at 6-foot-3.5, 217 pounds. With that said, Omeire didn't gain as much downfield separation as the other top receivers on hand–which was one of our questions entering the event. It's not out of the question he ultimately outgrows the position. With that in mind, Omeire moves back some within the Top247.

• Like 1

Can't argue with those changes.  I've always felt that Lindberg was slightly overrated.  I think Majors is too.  Dorbah on the other hand is still very underrated at 180.  He's about as good as they get as a pash rushing OLB.  I think he's a top 50 player when you consider the impact he'll have at his position from a pass rushing stand point.  He's Ossai 2.0 if you can get him to add weight which is easily doable looking at his frame.  Demas should be a 5 star deservingly so.  George looked terrible in many of his opening clips.  He is SLOW!  Right now he can just fall on these DL and take them down since he has about 70-80 pounds on most of them.  Decently athletic DL will fly right by him.  I also think Broughton is slightly overrated in the rankings.  He didn't look very explosive in his clips but I get that he's raw.  People have said he's comparable to DeMarvin Leal, but I don't see it.  Maybe a very poor man's version of Leal.  I think he's a very a good prospect but he's no way near a can't miss guy.  Collins is the real prize between the two imo but you obviously take both.  Also think the Temple WR is very underrated while Troy O. tested poorly and didn't exactly wow in his 1 on 1s.  IMO, Marcus Washington is head and shoulders better from the 2019 class.  Put all your eggs in Johnny Wilson.  The stars could night align better for us with regards to him with USC being down and us featuring a 6'6 WR as our main weapon in our offense.  Also with regards to Brennan Scott, I just don't see it.  I think you wait on him and explore options for late risers if you can't hit on Smalls or Flowe.  Wish we would pursue the legacy LT prospect from Arizona more.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Can't argue with those changes.  I've always felt that Lindberg was slightly overrated.  I think Majors is too.  Dorbah on the other hand is still very underrated at 180.  He's about as good as they get as a pash rushing OLB.  I think he's a top 50 player when you consider the impact he'll have at his position from a pass rushing stand point.  He's Ossai 2.0 if you can get him to add weight which is easily doable looking at his frame.  Demas should be a 5 star deservingly so.  George looked terrible in many of his opening clips.  He is SLOW!  Right now he can just fall on these DL and take them down since he has about 70-80 pounds on most of them.  Decently athletic DL will fly right by him.  I also think Broughton is slightly overrated in the rankings.  He didn't look very explosive in his clips but I get that he's raw.  People have said he's comparable to DeMarvin Leal, but I don't see it.  Maybe a very poor man's version of Leal.  I think he's a very a good prospect but he's no way near a can't miss guy.  Collins is the real prize between the two imo but you obviously take both.  Also think the Temple WR is very underrated while Troy O. tested poorly and didn't exactly wow in his 1 on 1s.  IMO, Marcus Washington is head and shoulders better from the 2019 class.  Put all your eggs in Johnny Wilson.  The stars could night align better for us with regards to him with USC being down and us featuring a 6'6 WR as our main weapon in our offense.  Also with regards to Brennan Scott, I just don't see it.  I think you wait on him and explore options for late risers if you can't hit on Smalls or Flowe.  Wish we would pursue the legacy LT prospect from Arizona more.  

Listen, this is something coming from me of all people, but could you mix in some paragraphs here, and perhaps a smattering less of the Stream of Thought bullshit. You're not James Joyce. But have an upvote regardless.

• Like 1

IAB Broughton seems to be an outstanding prospect who isn't much of a football player as of this writing. But the frame and athleticism are *very* appealing. Guys like that are tough to rank, so I wouldn't be surprised to see considerable volatility in his rankings up through signing day.

Gotta say, I found myself nodding along in agreement to just about everything written in that update, so apparently one could do a pretty good a 9.95er impression by merely following this thread and mixing in an occasional Hudl or twitter camp clip viewing.

Idk wtf y’all are talking about with Broughton. Sure, he didn’t look as good at the latest Opening, but he still looked good—even they had him rushing from the edge, which he won’t do in college—and he’s looked a lot better at some of the other camps. He may not end up being s good as Leal but he’s still a stud and should be a top 100 player, minimum.

Hes raw with a ton of upside and a really good work ethic. His 247 ranking will be higher than 149 by the time he signs.

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, this is something coming from me of all people, but could you mix in some paragraphs here, and perhaps a smattering less of the Stream of Thought bullshit. You're not James Joyce. But have an upvote regardless.

Good old Sydney. If you can’t disagree with the content of the post, at least make sure and voice your displeasure with the formatting. Give it a rest, man. 

Your behavior the last couple days on this board is borderline Derka-esque. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

eh it's my day off.  i'm putting bare minimum effort into everything i'm doing today haha

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Good old Sydney. If you can’t disagree with the content of the post, at least make sure and voice your displeasure with the formatting. Give it a rest, man. 

Your behavior the last couple days on this board is borderline Derka-esque. 

It's a joke. A simple ribbing. Lighten up, Francis. Not sure you've noticed, but mocking is sort of part and parcel with what this whole board is about..every sub-forum. Lighten the fuck up yourself, perhaps, instead of trying to jump in and play the friendly police. And get back to me when you go remark on every other poster on this website who drops a "TLDR" or "Wall of Text" joke. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's a joke. A simple ribbing. Lighten up, Francis. Not sure you've noticed, but mocking is sort of part and parcel with what this whole board is about..every sub-forum. Lighten the fuck up yourself, perhaps, instead of trying to jump in and play the friendly police. And get back to me when you go remark on every other poster on this website who drops a "TLDR" or "Wall of Text" joke. 

DJdw.gif

5 hours ago, immamac said:

Can you guys just keep on topic. I'm really tired of getting 5-10 reports a day of petty shit. 

No more talking about EJ or whatever, start a thread about him to talk shit about him. Talk about 2020 recruits here and notes on those recruits. Stop the bullshit commentary about assholes on the recruiting trail. Stop the back and forth on specific players - start threads for that this isn't the right place to derail thread on ALL of recruiting.

People report this shit?

giphy.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Idk wtf y’all are talking about with Broughton. Sure, he didn’t look as good at the latest Opening, but he still looked good—even they had him rushing from the edge, which he won’t do in college—and he’s looked a lot better at some of the other camps. He may not end up being s good as Leal but he’s still a stud and should be a top 100 player, minimum.

Hes raw with a ton of upside and a really good work ethic. His 247 ranking will be higher than 149 by the time he signs.

He got in at 3am from visiting LSU before going to that camp, fwiw

He has physically more upside than Leal, in my opinion. Leal was better at football at the same age, but I see Broughton in the same light

Guys I think are most likely to end up on our class all things considered, who aren't already committed to us 

In order

1) Crawford

2) Dorbah

3) Lindberg

4) Thompson Jr

5) Jackson

6) Broughton

7) White

8') Collins

9) Washington

10) Ringo

11) Hullaby

12) Alford

13) Cooper

14) Dixon

15) Johnston

16) Jordan

Thoughts?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

He got in at 3am from visiting LSU before going to that camp, fwiw

He has physically more upside than Leal, in my opinion. Leal was better at football at the same age, but I see Broughton in the same light

Yeah. I’d say they’re in the same ballpark right now. Broughton’s so raw that I’d like to see his senior film first . His trajectory is harder to predict than Leal’s was at this time last year. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Are you sure he's not? I mean he could enjoy women farting in his face. Have you managed to rule that out?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Guys I think are most likely to end up on our class all things considered, who aren't already committed to us 

In order

1) Crawford

2) Dorbah

3) Lindberg

4) Thompson Jr

5) Jackson

6) Broughton

7) White

8') Collins

9) Washington

10) Ringo

11) Hullaby

12) Alford

13) Cooper

14) Dixon

15) Johnston

16) Jordan

Thoughts?

No Evans?!?!?!?! Should I panic now, later or both? 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

In order

1) Crawford

2) Dorbah

3) Lindberg

4) Thompson Jr

5) Jackson

6) Broughton

7) White

8') Collins

9) Washington

10) Ringo

11) Hullaby

12) Alford

13) Cooper

14) Dixon

15) Johnston

16) Jordan

Thoughts?

Ringo should be higher. If NSD were tomorrow, he'd be the most likely to commit. The only reason I see to not put him #1 here is because he'll be the most highly sought after player on this list. 

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Myles-Slusher-46048503/

Not a huge surprise, especially since those three Tulsa kids seem to want to be a package including the spare RB.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Nothing to get worked up about, the Myles Slusher, the DB from Oklahoma who visited for Junior Day, left us out of his top 10: https://twitter.com/mylesslusher/status/1109158838039662594

The robot has been beaten to the punch. How can this be????