Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

37 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Malcolm Epps is probably the best comp for Omeire. I've seen people on here say they like Omeire as a big slot, but he's way too lanky and lacks acceleration for that (see 4.8 shuttle, which is half a second slower than LJH's, not to mention he's not half the YAC guy that LJH was). The only spot he can play is a big X, similar to what we're hearing about Epps.  

I'll just go ahead and state that I don't want Texas to land Omeire. I'd like to see them go all out on Wilson, take Johnston, and land either Mookie Cooper or Emmitt Smith's son. Take the Sullivan guy ahead of Omeire as well. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Here we go.  Per TFLoss, Rivals says Johnny Wilson is working on setting up a visit to Texas this weekend.

Spoiler

Adam Gorney • Rivals

WILSON STICKING WITH FIVE

Johnny Wilson named a top five of Ohio State, OregonTexasUCLA and Washington in the last couple months and he’s sticking to that plan even as Texas A&M offered and others are trying to get involved.

The Calabasas, Calif., standout said his life has gotten so much easier now that he can focus on a select group and unless there are dramatic coaching changes at those programs he’s sticking to the plan and going to only focus on those five. Wilson is still working on a trip to Texas for this weekend and he loves how the Longhorns have utilized big receivers. He also plans to be at Oregon’s spring game and that’s big because former Calabasas teammate Mycah Pittman is a freshman receiver there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Malcolm Epps is probably the best comp for Omeire. I've seen people on here say they like Omeire as a big slot, but he's way too lanky and lacks acceleration for that (see 4.8 shuttle, which is half a second slower than LJH's, not to mention he's not half the YAC guy that LJH was). The only spot he can play is a big X, similar to what we're hearing about Epps.  

Epps is a legitimate 6"5 4/8.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Epps is a legitimate 6"5 4/8.

Oh, well then I guess it's not possible for them to have a similar usage/playing style if they're not exactly the same height.

Omeire is shorter while also being faster/quicker, but they're both going to be guys who play X and rely on bodying up their defender as opposed to creating separation and getting a lot of yards after the catch.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Here we go.  Per TFLoss, Rivals says Johnny Wilson is working on setting up a visit to Texas this weekend.

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Omg yes

35 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Adam Gorney • Rivals

WILSON STICKING WITH FIVE

Johnny Wilson named a top five of Ohio State, OregonTexasUCLA and Washington in the last couple months and he’s sticking to that plan even as Texas A&M offered and others are trying to get involved.

The Calabasas, Calif., standout said his life has gotten so much easier now that he can focus on a select group and unless there are dramatic coaching changes at those programs he’s sticking to the plan and going to only focus on those five. Wilson is still working on a trip to Texas for this weekend and he loves how the Longhorns have utilized big receivers. He also plans to be at Oregon’s spring game and that’s big because former Calabasas teammate Mycah Pittman is a freshman receiver there.

Fun fact:

S. mouse (“Slap My Elbow”, “Animal Zoo”, “Big Black Balls”) is also from Calabasas. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'll just go ahead and state that I don't want Texas to land Omeire. I'd like to see them go all out on Wilson, take Johnston, and land either Mookie Cooper or Emmitt Smith's son. Take the Sullivan guy ahead of Omeire as well. 

There's also the kid from Oklahoma 

23 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Dorian Leonard or John Harris are the guys you are looking for.

Well, besides the fact they never played in herman’s system (and I was talking about Omeire’s likely usage under Herman, not his closest player comp), Harris was significantly faster/shorter than Omeire and not really comparable at all.

4 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I heard the staff would love to get this dude, this was told to me yesterday at the baseball game. I assumed it was a keep you warm offer, I was wrong.

Javian Hester. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Javian-Hester-46051306/

This is the kid that is allegedly tied with a group of Oklahoma kids that want to play together, is he not?

On Omiere, I'm just amazed his rankings haven't caught up to him yet. I have yet to see anyone who is tremendously high on the kid. If his vertical of 30 inches on 247 is accurate, and not some weather or injury fluke, then ooooooooooooof. I'm not sure the kid is going to be bodying up anyone when he's 1-2 inches shorter than are prototype big body receivers seem to be trending and factoring in he jumps 6-8 inches lower than most elite WR or DBs. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Javian Hester. 

This is the kid that is allegedly tied with a group of Oklahoma kids that want to play together, is he not?

On Omiere, I'm just amazed his rankings haven't caught up to him yet. I have yet to see anyone who is tremendously high on the kid. If his vertical of 30 inches on 247 is accurate, and not some weather or injury fluke, then ooooooooooooof. I'm not sure the kid is going to be bodying up anyone when he's 1-2 inches shorter than are prototype big body receivers seem to be trending and factoring in he jumps 6-8 inches lower than most elite WR or DBs. 

I mean his vertical was listed at the opening as 32” and he’s 6’4, so he’s going to win his fair share of jump balls. But yeah, I don’t get his ranking or the staff’s (apparent) decision to prioritize him. To me, he’s a guy you at least try to hold off until you know what happens with Wilson, but even then, I think we could find someone better, or at least as good, if we miss on Wilson. 

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Javian Hester. 

Yeah, with Myles Slusher (we didn't make his top 10) and some spare RB.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Javian Hester. 

I think Hester could potentially be down to ditch his buddies for Texas

Omeire wins a lot of reps at camps, so rankers might not drop him too far. He supposedly has tremendous body control, fluidity, and hands to go with good size, but obviously the speed and quickness are a concern with separating against top corners. He might be a Devin Funchess type where it's either possession chain moving routes or jump balls down the sidelines. I don't care if we land him or not 

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Can we keep him warm and get him to flip late? I assume he will make a decision before his SR year and assuming we will not push by then.

Not sure if there's any way to know that at this point, but I'd guess that we'd be able to flip him even if his feelings/pride are hurt at not being a first choice 

2 hours ago, Bevonuggets said:

Just subbed to OB and I read an article about Ringo that’s making me rethink already lmao. 

Are you talking about the take two posted today? Why would that make you rethink anything? It was pretty worthless

Article in question:

Spoiler

THE STORYLINE

Five-star Kelee Ringo is going to stay in the conversation for being the top-rated cornerback in this class because he’s had an exceptional offseason including at the Rivals 3 Stripe Camp presented by adidas in Los Angeles among many other events. Ringo is special. So is No. 1 cornerback Elias Ricks, who committed to LSU early and has put his recruitment on the back burner. For Ringo, his top schools are just coming into focus with Texas, Georgia and Ohio State leading the way but Oklahoma, Washington and others cannot be counted out, either.

The Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro standout has given Longhorns fans a lot to consider. He’s been to Austin numerous times, he’s spent a lot of time on campus and a return trip to Texas is also expected. Still, others are right there as the five-star cornerback has loved his time at Georgia and Ohio State can never be counted out of any recruitment.

Can Texas go back to the state of Arizona for another outstanding prospect and keep that West Coast pipeline alive by getting arguably the top cornerback in the 2020 class to make a commitment?

FIRST TAKE: JASON SUCHOMEL, ORANGEBLOODS.COM

“It’s safe to say Kelee Ringo is one of Texas’ top priorities in this class regardless of position. You could put him, Zachary Evans and Justin Flowe in the same category. Texas is in a great spot early on with Ringo since he’s taken three unofficial visits to Texas already including one which was a week-long stay. He told me he would be returning for an official visit as well. He hasn’t named a leader but I do think Texas could be the team to beat at this early stage.”

SECOND TAKE: MIKE FARRELL, RIVALS.COM

“It would be huge to get him because Texas needs to recruit nationally. Under Mack Brown the Longhorns recruited more regionally than anything and he mostly stayed in-state. He won a national championship that way but it certainly helped having Vince Young.

“In this day-and-age, you have to recruit nationally. To see them get Bru McCoy from L.A., Jake Smith from Arizona, who was state player of the year, they have a little bit of momentum. Oklahoma is usually the program that goes out West and steals some kids away but I think Texas is starting to see that works for it and why wouldn’t it work for Texas? He’s probably their No. 1 target, the SEC is tough to beat at times so we’ll see how far away he wants to go from home but I don’t think he’s staying out West.”

In the comments Such says he thinks we lead. 

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Are you talking about the take two posted today? Why would that make you rethink anything? It was pretty worthless

Article in question:

Reveal hidden contents

THE STORYLINE

Five-star Kelee Ringo is going to stay in the conversation for being the top-rated cornerback in this class because he’s had an exceptional offseason including at the Rivals 3 Stripe Camp presented by adidas in Los Angeles among many other events. Ringo is special. So is No. 1 cornerback Elias Ricks, who committed to LSU early and has put his recruitment on the back burner. For Ringo, his top schools are just coming into focus with Texas, Georgia and Ohio State leading the way but Oklahoma, Washington and others cannot be counted out, either.

The Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro standout has given Longhorns fans a lot to consider. He’s been to Austin numerous times, he’s spent a lot of time on campus and a return trip to Texas is also expected. Still, others are right there as the five-star cornerback has loved his time at Georgia and Ohio State can never be counted out of any recruitment.

Can Texas go back to the state of Arizona for another outstanding prospect and keep that West Coast pipeline alive by getting arguably the top cornerback in the 2020 class to make a commitment?

FIRST TAKE: JASON SUCHOMEL, ORANGEBLOODS.COM

“It’s safe to say Kelee Ringo is one of Texas’ top priorities in this class regardless of position. You could put him, Zachary Evans and Justin Flowe in the same category. Texas is in a great spot early on with Ringo since he’s taken three unofficial visits to Texas already including one which was a week-long stay. He told me he would be returning for an official visit as well. He hasn’t named a leader but I do think Texas could be the team to beat at this early stage.”

SECOND TAKE: MIKE FARRELL, RIVALS.COM

“It would be huge to get him because Texas needs to recruit nationally. Under Mack Brown the Longhorns recruited more regionally than anything and he mostly stayed in-state. He won a national championship that way but it certainly helped having Vince Young.

“In this day-and-age, you have to recruit nationally. To see them get Bru McCoy from L.A., Jake Smith from Arizona, who was state player of the year, they have a little bit of momentum. Oklahoma is usually the program that goes out West and steals some kids away but I think Texas is starting to see that works for it and why wouldn’t it work for Texas? He’s probably their No. 1 target, the SEC is tough to beat at times so we’ll see how far away he wants to go from home but I don’t think he’s staying out West.”

In the comments Such says he thinks we lead. 

He meant that he's rethinking paying the money for OBs.