Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, satyanash said:

Really wish Darius Snow would come to his senses and play at LB. The kid simply isn't a DB, he was getting cooked despite giving a big cushion.

Do you think Dantonio is going to put up with his bullshit for longer than five seconds in East Lansing?

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

Grimes and Washington were fine, Alford found himself out of position quite a few times. That LV kid is the real deal. Tons of raw talent, too much shake, but nice speed and a spectacular one handed catch. Was impressed with Gowdy, Baker, and Jones too. Also, Ringo is a monster and probably should be top 3 in the class. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Grimes and Washington were fine, Alford found himself out of position quite a few times. That LV kid is the real deal. Tons of raw talent, too much shake, but nice speed and a spectacular one handed catch. Was impressed with Gowdy, Baker, and Jones too. Also, Ringo is a monster and probably should be top 3 in the class. 

LV is intriguing. Runs polished routes, gets easy separation, makes contested catches. 

Ringo actually struggled in coverage, although he reportedly was dealing with a cramping calf. His game is to jam at the line, and he wasn't attempting that here. 

Washington and Alford look good in coverage for safeties

Burns really struggled

Snow doesn't belong 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Ringo actually struggled in coverage, although he reportedly was dealing with a cramping calf. His game is to jam at the line, and he wasn't attempting that here

Yeah, I read that too but he was still making up distance when recovering from a move at the line. His hips and instincts were noticeably better than anyone there. 

I get that Alford is a safety, but he didn't flash great coverage here. Washington looked a lot better to my eye and about as good as I would want a rising senior safety to look in coverage against elite competition. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SWC's Ghost said:

This was posted on OB's.  I thought it might apply.

After watching that 5'star challenge video, I'm a lot less concerned about getting or not getting Broughton. He is no DE and now that I've seen his body type he is much better suited to play a 3 tech than a 1 or 5 tech. I also came away really wanting us to get Octavious Oxindine (not sure on spelling), that kid is exactly what you are looking for in a 1 or 0 technique. He is a pocket crusher. He has the perfect body frame to play in the middle and do major damage. 

I don't care where these two kids are ranked, Ox is a better fit for Texas than Broughton is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aggie: Octavios is a pocket pusher for sure but Broughton didn’t do bad at all in his 2 plays he got to the quarterback. Maybe that is said because he has backed off Texas a bit, but he didn’t look bad at all. Roy was D-Line MVP and Raikes defensive MVP. I’m not quite sure how that worked, but those are awards they won.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying Broughton did bad. I said that he is a 3 tech and that is a 4-3 DT. He is not a nose tackle nor is he a DE. He wants to be a DE and he is not a DE not now, and not in the future. Octavios is a true nose tackle and that is what we need more than a wanna-be DE like Broughton. 

To further my argument look at the build of Broughton, he is 6'5 285 right now. He is not overly fast or overly athletic, he is a guy that has a great frame and will likely develop into a 6'5 315 lb DT. Octavious Ox is 6'2 and 300 lbs That is a good size for a 0 technique, he is low to the ground and extremely hard to root out. He is also a bull and will almost always require a double team. 

Now I will also mention Alfred Collins who is a Strong side DE. He is 6'5 247 listing, however he told one of the reporters that he is now up to 280 lbs. I don't know for sure what he weighs but at 247 lbs he was super athletic. If he is 280 lbs and was able to keep his athleticism he is already as big as Olmenihu and a much closer fit to what Texas is looking for as a strong side DE. Collins also has almost no body fat where Broughton does have a little bit of body fat on him. 

It's a crap shoot on how these guys are going to develop but I'm comfortable with Texas recruiting if they can close the deal with Ox and Collins. Broughton to me is not a DE and is probably best suited to play 3 tech.

Someone said Raikes was the Gatorade mvp which is a spirit award

26 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I've said it before but I think Broughton is A LOT of projection at this point. Don't get me wrong, I want him in a Texas uniform and I know I'm in the minority but I think Broughton is a question mark. He has huge upside due to his versatility. For sure. Excellent frame, a nearly perfect example of what to look for in a modern DL. I honestly expected him to test better but he shows excellent flexibility and power, despite the underwhelming numbers. Having said all that - I keep waiting for him to be really good at football. I mean, I had questions about Leal's attitude and effort because there were games where he clearly DGAF and just went through the motions. Leal getting fucking worked by 210 lb kids from the burbs, etc ... was troubling  but then he'd turn it up for a game or a half or whatever and you could see that he has a lot that simply can't be coached. With Broughton I've yet to see that. At all. He's a fine player but he's also bigger and stronger than everyone that he plays, he should be absolutely dominant and instead he's just a good player. 

*** also WTF??!?!? Chris Warren fucking sucked. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

I pretty much agree across the board here. The reason losing Broughton would be a big deal is that we simply don't have any other alternatives with as high a floor. And the fact that he's not on board already is entirely owing to a glaringly obvious deficiency on the recruiting staff, dripping with wing sauce.

I'm pretty sure that if he's wearing burnt orange for his career, he will be solid. Wearing any color but maroon, really. The fact that he's even considering a scheme in which he will be ridiculously misused suggests that we have all the sales floor appeal for DL of a Lime Green Chevy Nova, with an "I heart poodles" bumper sticker on it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

LV is intriguing. Runs polished routes, gets easy separation, makes contested catches. 

Ringo actually struggled in coverage, although he reportedly was dealing with a cramping calf. His game is to jam at the line, and he wasn't attempting that here. 

Washington and Alford look good in coverage for safeties

Burns really struggled

Snow doesn't belong 

I thought that the Bunkly-Sheldon kid looked the best

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

I thought that the Bunkly-Sheldon kid looked the best

In that stupid drill where there's no help other than the sidelines and so the entire route tree is open, DBs don't stand a chance against him. Especially since he makes contested catches even when covered well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SWC's Ghost said:

Some of the posters at OB's warned me about the high levels of estrogen over here.  A lot of keyboard tough guys, lol.  No room for discussion.  I'll assure you that while you may neg me that you'll never whip my ass. 🤣

I don't think that Surly or the recruiting board in general or this thread specifically is for you. Not even kidding.

1 minute ago, Fud said:

In that stupid drill where there's no help other than the sidelines and so the entire route tree is open, DBs don't stand a chance against him. Especially since he makes contested catches even when covered well. 

Does he like F250's?

52 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sorry man. Ox is a JAG. He's a space eater and that's it. It's fine to take one like him every few years for depth, like Wilbon, but he's a JAG. 

Maybe we have different definitions. Any guy who starts on a top 10 team and is not a liability is better than a jag. I'd take someone like Lil’Jordan Humphrey or maybe even Elijah Rodriguez 10 out of 10 times (not Vahe, though - he was a liability in pass protection). 

Just now, Bevo said:

Maybe we have different definitions. Any guy who starts on a top 10 team and is not a liability is better than a jag. I'd take someone like Lil’Jordan Humphrey or maybe even Elijah Rodriguez 10 out of 10 times (not Vahe, though - he was a liability in pass protection). 

I bet Coburn starts for Texas at some point next season and doesn't look back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SWC's Ghost said:

Bad recruiter but good developer of talent > Great recruiter but poor developer of talent.  Ok St. has been kicking our tail with less for awile.  Players with the better attitudes will gravitate toward results after time.  The slick salesman with no results will get fired.  I'll take the former.  Let's wait til December to rock the boat.

(by the way, this totally and completely ignores scheme, which also matters a ton.)

If the idea is you can be Clemson and bring in quality talent plus develop guys or be Bama and bring in top line guys every. single. season. and only partially develop them, then based on the last X years of results, Bama is the clear one to pick.

What you are saying sounds like you would rather have 3*'s with more want than talent over 5* with more talent than want.

that is the kind of shit purple Baylor used to like saying. 

Talent matters more than development.

Blue Chip Ratio

a

I track this using my Blue-Chip Ratio statistic. Put simply, teams who win the title sign more four- and five-star recruits than two- and three-stars over the previous four signing classes.

This has been true for about as far back as modern recruiting rankings can be tracked.

It’s easy to think of the stat as the percentage of four- and five-stars signed by a team, out of total signees. Generally, teams whose signees are less than 50 percent blue-chips over the previous four years can’t be considered national title contender

Just now, NoName said:

(by the way, this totally and completely ignores scheme, which also matters a ton.)

If the idea is you can be Clemson and bring in quality talent plus develop guys or be Bama and bring in top line guys every. single. season. and only partially develop them, then based on the last X years of results, Bama is the clear one to pick.

What you are saying sounds like you would rather have 3*'s with more want than talent over 5* with more talent than want.

that is the kind of shit purple Baylor used to like saying. 

Talent matters more than development.

Blue Chip Ratio

a

Don't waste your time.

23 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The reason losing Broughton would be a big deal is that we simply don't have any other alternatives with as high a floor. And the fact that he's not on board already is entirely owing to a glaringly obvious deficiency on the recruiting staff, dripping with wing sauce..... The fact that he's even considering a scheme in which he will be ridiculously misused suggests that we have all the sales floor appeal for DL of a....   Lime Green Chevy Nova, with an "I heart poodles" bumper sticker on it.

giphy.gif

🎶 I Love Rock N ' Roll 🎶  

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yes.  And the "at some point" will probably be the La Tech game.  Coburn looked unstoppable in limited snaps last year, and dominant in the spring game.  Only question will be how many snaps a game we can get out of him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Everyone's out here talking about Giles and Broughton and I'm just looking longingly at Ringo's 4.35 40 time... God I hate Georgia 

Yea, he'd be nice but is in no way a keystone recruitment in this class like Broughton or Bijan.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Yes.  And the "at some point" will probably be the La Tech game.  Coburn looked unstoppable in limited snaps last year, and dominant in the spring game.  Only question will be how many snaps a game we can get out of him.

Hopefully his kidneys stay healthy, too. 

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:
12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Spring game example:

OJjjJa.gif

5mOkys.gif

6 hours ago, SWC's Ghost said:

No I am not Purgatory.  I post on the OB free site but not that much.  This is my second handle on Surly.  I am a UT grad... but I am older, Gen X.  I was having some fun.  No biggie.

I'm GenX too, and that is not an excuse for being a moron, an asshole, or posting on a terrible site like Orangebloods.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So without starting a meltdown (and I'm definitely not telling anyone to relax because that never works), what's an honest % assessment of getting any of these remaining guys just for kicks?  And if the answer is low, are my listed backup options in the ballpark?  Anybody want to take a stab?  Or is it nerrbody?

RB (ducks) - B.Robinson, J.McLellan (backup?)

WR - J.Wilson, Q.Johnston, D.Achane (backups J.Hester, L.Fouonji?)

TE - N/A

OL - C.Lindberg, A.Karic (backups C.Ford, N.Anderson?)

DE (ducks) - A.Collins, P.Unmanmielen (backups J.Logan-Redding, V.Fillinger?)

DT (ducks) - V.Broughton (backups J.Guillory, O.Oxendine?)

LB - P.Dorbah, B.Scott (backups D.Sellers, K.Williams, L.Whitehead?)

S - C.Thompson, B.Washington, X.Alford (backups ?)

CB - J.Rogers (backups E.Pouncey?)

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

So without starting a meltdown (and I'm definitely not telling anyone to relax because that never works), what's an honest % assessment of getting any of these remaining guys just for kicks?  And if the answer is low, are my listed backup options in the ballpark?  Anybody want to take a stab?  Or is it nerrbody?

TE - N/A

Guillory and Kourt Williams are definitely not happening

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Is anybody really sure about Karic at all? He's got no state ties. Curious to see confidence in Lindberg. I understand taking your visits, but this dude is all over the place.

Nobody's sure about Karic because he's perhaps the most closed-off recruit of the whole cycle. I think people here just have faith that Herb Hand can out-recruit FSU and TCU (the only two schools that I know are recruiting him hard for sure) for someone we really want.

Edited by Machinator

15 minutes ago, Scholz said:

TE - N/A

Except for Safety, CB, and Q. Johnston, that is a grim, grim list. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Idk how you put LJH and Rodriguez in the same category.  They're entirely different.  OO's skill (not getting moved around) is easy to find in a multitude of prospects that UT could land without much trouble, in other words a JAG.  This all started with OB morons saying they want OO over Broughton.  The point is, one's skill set is easily replaceable. The other's is not.

54 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Coburn showed up last summer at 350. He ignored the regimen given to him and blew through various metric tons of hot wings, steaks, and ice cream, apparently. That sent him to the doghouse but he’s past all that now. I expect him to start and play 60+% of the snaps. Good news for the group that just got to campus is that no one showed up out of shape. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Idk how you put LJH and Rodriguez in the same category. 

Because by your definition both players were recruiting/high school jags. A tall, slow, lightly recruited WR who didn't play high school WR? Come on: Ox is one of the top 20 or so nose prospects in the country.