Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

38 minutes ago, DeadSalamander said:

Up to 24th. Only Clemson has a higher average rating

All we have to do is add Collins, Lindberg, Thompson, Johnston, J Wilson, and McClellan and we would have a higher average.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anyone have this?  Perroni said Roach had a real good source in Broughton's recruitment.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Board/21/Contents/The-background-on-Vernon-Broughton-133741306/

I was told last week that Vernon planned to shoot a video and it was going to be for Texas. It was at that point I started reporting more confidence on the Texas side, but there was some trepidation that things could change between then and the video. When Vernon delayed his announcement on Monday, it obviously caused a little bit of worry. I originally reported the announcement could be the 18th, but checking in again was told next week. I was told by another source that this could be to make it a surprise and to be ready for anything. In the middle of my chat tonight, I mentioned that I needed to put it on hold to make a call about some information I received. I was told this evening that the announcement could be coming tonight, but I didn't want to post an update on it. There were some late twists and turns, but Broughton is a fantastic get for Oscar Giles and Craig Naivar who both recruited him hard.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Whoever made this...we can get some mileage out of it.  We need to make this a mainstay.  Hopefully Giles gets on a roll.

Joe Cook told me that he’s been saying Gilin’ and Profilin’ on IT so I made a gif of it and sent it to him.

• Like 3

Great job by Giles, Herman, Carrington and whoever else played a role in Broughton’s recruitment.  Every school in the country would’ve taken Vernon and we got him. Now lock down Collins and add Princely/Fillinger/late bloomer as the third take and that’s an elite DL class for 2020. 

• Like 1

As for the Instagram story/snapchat from ATX, for those still curious:

The video wasn't filmed in Austin. It was filmed at his high school. He was never in Austin to film a video. Broughton had a family member who had never seen campus or Austin and they came in to take a look since that was going to be the pick.

Saw this posted elsewhere; from Mike Roach on Broughton:

One more thing. This recruitment was also won by the class and their families. Traci Majors and Cindy Card both spent time at The Opening with Vernon’s mom. The O-line group was extremely tight with him, and I was told Prince Dorbah put in a lot of work over the past week or so.

There were certainly times I felt it could get away. Coming out of the Arkansas visit, there was very reliable information he had given them a silent. A&M was always a worry, but one source in particular said to me that in the end it would be Texas.

Edited by Machinator

12 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

only if he was with any of the staff right?

Per Daniel Seahorn of Hornsports regarding the Dead Period:

On 7/12/2019 at 10:59 PM, Daniel Seahorn said:

He can’t talk to the coaches or be at the football offices. Doesn’t mean he can’t be on campus though. 

• Like 1

Assuming we add Collins, which we should, between guys like Coburn, Sweat, Ojomo, Mpagi, Broughton, and Collins, a couple of years down the road we're looking at building the first truly dominant DL in the Big XII in years. Too bad we didn't land Leal too. It wouldn't surprise me if Sweat ends up the best of the bunch, and sooner than people expect. 

We're also building a nice stable of stand-up edge backers between Ossai, Vaughns, and Dorbah.

I'm really curious to see who the third DL in this class will be.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

1 of Umanmielen/Fillinger/Logan-Redding.

I'm a fan of Fillinger.  Kid looks disruptive.

Umanmielen seems to be looking for a reason to not pick Texas and aggy will probably ramp it up with him after losing Broughton.

To add on to your list we should land some studs in the 2021' class as well.

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

Assuming we add Collins, which we should, between guys like Coburn, Sweat, Ojomo, Mpagi, Broughton, and Collins, a couple of years down the road we're looking at building the first truly dominant DL in the Big XII in years. Too bad we didn't land Leal too. It wouldn't surprise me if Sweat ends up the best of the bunch, and sooner than people expect. 

We're also building a nice stable of stand-up edge backers between Ossai, Vaughns, and Dorbah.

Yeah. Here’s what I posted in the Broughton thread about what our DL could look like by 2020. 

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If we’re talking championship, our best chance in the near future is 2020 with Ehlinger and Cosmi as 4th years plus all the 2018 guys still around.

in 2020, our 2 deep will be something like

Ojomo-Coburn-Graham-Ossai

Warren-Sweat-Mpagi-Vaughns 

with Broughton, Dorbah, and Collins able to contribute. 

That’s a damn fine DL group right there. 

And if you look at what Hand is in the process of putting together on the OL with the 2020 and 2021 class, we could finally return to dominating the LOS on both sides of the ball for the first time in decades.

pretty exciting times.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, trythisathome said:

What's the skinny on Collins? Haven't really followed his recruitment 

He's quiet, doesn't seem to "enjoy" the recruiting process. Taking all five of his OVs in the fall. Texas has just about every advantage in this recruitment, but it will probably get at least a little interesting because it's an elite DL.

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

What's the skinny on Collins? Haven't really followed his recruitment 

Just now, Machinator said:

He's quiet, doesn't seem to "enjoy" the recruiting process. Taking all five of his OVs in the fall. Texas has just about every advantage in this recruitment, but it will probably get at least a little interesting because it's an elite DL.

Also, he was though to be 240-250 and would take some time to bulk up in college, but then he showed up at the pool party at a svelte 280 pounds. If he’s retained his burst and athleticism at that weight, the he’s pretty drastically underrated and could be an absolute monster at UT. Strong enough to hold up at 4i without trouble, but also gives you the dynamic pass rush you’d want out of a smaller guy.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

How. Here’s what I posted in the Broughton thread about what our DL could look like by 2020. 

And if you look at what Hand is in the process of putting together on the OL with the 2020 and 2021 class, we could finally return to dominating the LOS on both sides of the ball for the first time in decades.

pretty exciting times.

That’s the best way to consistently put away lesser teams; dominate the talent on the lines

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I believe he's next up on our fret/obsess/panic list, correct?

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Just now, Beau Vine said:

You're off to a fine start!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I bet he doesn’t take all of his OVs 

• Like 1