Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, Fud said:

That’s the best way to consistently put away lesser teams; dominate the talent on the lines

Yeah, lack of a consistent run game outside of Ehlinger toting the rock 20 times is a big part of why we struggled to put away  teams like Baylor, KSU, Tulsa, etc.

A more consistently powerful OL will really help Herman shed his reputation of losing to too many teams he shouldn’t.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Also, he was though to be 240-250 and would take some time to bulk up in college, but then he showed up at the pool party at a svelte 280 pounds. If he’s retained his burst and athleticism at that weight, the he’s pretty drastically underrated and could be an absolute monster at UT. Strong enough to hold up at 4i without trouble, but also gives you the dynamic pass rush you’d want out of a smaller guy.

I'm no film jockey, but if he moves like he did in his junior film at 280 lbs.... I don't see how he isn't a top-5 in state prospect

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Class average of almost 94. 8 out of 9 commits are 4 stars. 3 are in the top 100 and 6 are in the top 150 in the country. 

We still need to add more numbers to the class, but we’re building a damn fine core that will only get stronger when CTJ commits in August. 

For the near future, I think we can hang around this avg number. I think Majors and Parr will drop some, and maybe JJ too, and CTJ will as well at some point, but I think Card and Broughton will get bumps, and Lindberg will be a boost. Collins should give a boost, but he could also get Sweat’d where he never gets the proper bump. 

1 minute ago, TheMailBox357 said:

According to this updated Footballscoop article , Samples still isn't gonna be position coach at SMU: 

http://footballscoop.com/news/smu-hires-texas-staffer-coach-wide-receivers/

It says he's not going to be WRs coach. That doesn't mean he's not going to be a position coach.

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's quiet, doesn't seem to "enjoy" the recruiting process. Taking all five of his OVs in the fall. Texas has just about every advantage in this recruitment, but it will probably get at least a little interesting because it's an elite DL.

I heard his mom played basketball at UT?  Is that right?

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, lack of a consistent run game outside of Ehlinger toting the rock 20 times is a big part of why we struggled to put away  teams like Baylor, KSU, Tulsa, etc.  A more consistently powerful OL will really help Herman shed his reputation of losing to too many teams he shouldn’t.

The two shit-head QBs that recently won blOU Heisman's were significantly propped up by quality OL's.... it's critical in competing for Championships...

4 hours ago, Fud said:

Assuming we add Collins, which we should, between guys like Coburn, Sweat, Ojomo, Mpagi, Broughton, and Collins, a couple of years down the road we're looking at building the first truly dominant DL in the Big XII in years. Too bad we didn't land Leal too. It wouldn't surprise me if Sweat ends up the best of the bunch, and sooner than people expect. 

We're also building a nice stable of stand-up edge backers between Ossai, Vaughns, and Dorbah.

I'm really curious to see who the third DL in this class will be.

The Broughton recruitment is funny in that it really creates a pendulum swing for our outlook on the program over the next few years. Few non-QB recruitments can ever do that. Getting him was big, especially since it feels like Collins and Fillinger joining would be a big ass class and both seem realistic to probable. 

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Also, he was though to be 240-250 and would take some time to bulk up in college, but then he showed up at the pool party at a svelte 280 pounds. If he’s retained his burst and athleticism at that weight, the he’s pretty drastically underrated and could be an absolute monster at UT. Strong enough to hold up at 4i without trouble, but also gives you the dynamic pass rush you’d want out of a smaller guy.

I’ve got a friend who has been saying he’ll wind up a 5 star for the last year and, uh, he gets these pretty close to right more often than not. Said he’d wind up 6’5”290/300 similar to VB but probably be the quickest DL in the south as far back as last summer. Seems that’s trending well. 

3 hours ago, Fud said:

I bet he doesn’t take all of his OVs 

One of the common refrains we all see and some on here will say is “one game doesn’t matter” or “it doesn’t work that way in recruiting”, but sometimes, one game helps close leaners out. Some guys looking for a reason to shut things down could use Texas winning the LSU game to do so, Collins included. I don’t expect an avalanche, but a win in that game matters more than most wins for recruiting. A loss might cut the same way in the other direction. In any event, I’ll also be surprised if Collins plays around through 5 visits. 

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

All of the west coast mods have put in CBs for Fillinger to Texas.

Holy Jesus, Baizer's Giles gif is about to get put to work. That's awesome. VB, Collins, Fillinger would be a better class than our initial Texas Big 3 dream.

Edited by texifornia

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve got a friend who has been saying he’ll wind up a 5 star for the last year and, uh, he gets these pretty close to right more often than not.

I could see him never getting the big bump like Sweat never got one, although he'd clearly deserve it 

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

All of the west coast mods have put in CBs for Fillinger to Texas.

So with us missing on Rogers and our top AZ targets and all of a sudden cleaning up on DL, I think we call agree the best staff recruiter rankings go something like this:

1. Giles

2. Washington 

3. Carrington

4. Samples if he had gotten promoted in place of numbers 9-11. 

5. Beck

6.  Hand

7.  Naivar

8.  Samples trying like 50% of the time

9. Hipster dude who was just as green as Samples when he started at UH

10. Destroyer of bathrooms

11 The second coming of Bruce Chambers

12. Orlando (at least he can coach a defense) 

99.  A telemarketer calling from India

387. Milton from Office Space

1,834. Drayton

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

I could see him never getting the big bump like Sweat never got one, although he'd clearly deserve it 

He’s already top 150 and he’s attended some camps so he’s way more on the radar of the services than Sweat, but if he’s going to have any shot at being a 5 star, he’ll have to attend one of the all star games at the end of the year.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1