Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

9 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Speaking of Collins,  my liver is on a first name basis with one of his relatives...………….Tom. He really likes to mix it up.

Interesting because he has an uncle who was in Rossington Collins. I think his name was Allen. Here is a pic of him when he was younger:  220px-Allen_Collins.jpg

Note the skinny arms, like Collins' legs. But, of course, Yancy didn't have a chance to work with Allen. Anyway, Allen wrote a song titled That Smell which is a drug reference rather than a liquor reference. Allen made that song famous with his earlier band. That band's name was Lynard Skynard.

Fillinger plays very intensely and urgently, like he's snorting caffeine pills, or is typical Poly football player. If you can get him up to 275 while keeping his good-not-great athleticism, he should be a difficult guy to block, especially while offenses are dealing with the Ojomo, Sweat, Collins, and Broughton types, and should be a tackling machine in the run game for the position. If he has stand alone pass rushing upside, I think it comes from the maniacal effort and technical rather than athleticism/speed, bend, and length departments. Basically a rich man's version of who we were all hoping Hager could be once he spun down. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

So if Fillinger joins this class, is it a foregone conclusion that Princely will not?  Or is there a possibility that he too will join?

Oak what the staff will do, but I hope they save that 4th spot for a late bloomer on OL or DL. If we get those 3, I’d rather have a high ceiling 4th DL instead of Princely.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Oak what the staff will do, but I hope they save that 4th spot for a late bloomer on OL or DL. If we get those 3, I’d rather have a high ceiling 4th DL instead of Princely.

Could potentially do with Blidi what A&M did with Ellison and Mowry; let him commit but not sign, and if he qualifies you get a high upside DL, if he doesn't, the only thing you're losing is the opportunity cost of a 4th DL in the class (and it doesn't hurt 2021 scholarships) 

• Like 1

Eric Nahlin: On Van Fillinger

Offered in early June, the Draper, Utah product has had a quiet recruitment thus far but those baby booms you heard off in the distance as you woke up was a run of Crystal Balls from writers out west predicting him to Texas. Predicting or giving away his decision? A little of column A, a little of column B. Fillinger mentioned on Instagram that "the decision had been made." We better get to know him a bit in case this thing drops in UT's favor.

I haven't interacted with him much, only to quip that I thought it was telling he got Washington and Texas back-to-back. That says a lot about him as neither school over-offers and both account for factors outside of football more than most schools. At the time he said he was very interested in Texas and getting to know the school better. I opined in the Prospect Board that I initially undersold UT's chances to get him. I thought the staff would more likely land Jalen Logan-Redding from Columbia, Missouri.

Fillinger's a great fit for the defense. He's 6-foot-3.5, 250 pounds but will play comfortably in the 280's, if not a little more. There's a pinch of stiffness on film but a 4.25 shuttle is extremely good at his size. That shuttle tells us he has good initial quickness and body control. His quickness, combined with his college size, will make for an active 4i who is effective at slanting into gaps. He won't be the "move piece" d-lineman that Omenihu and Roach are, that will be Vernon Broughton or, fingers crossed, Alfred Collins, but Fillinger can be an anchor at 4i like TQ Graham.

He holds offers from LSU, Michigan, Oregon, USC, Ohio State and others. The market that matters likely values him more than his .8884 composite rating indicates. Let's see where that rating goes after he commits to Texas cc: William Loochi! Yesterday Texas installed the ceiling in the class at the position, now it looks like it could be close to putting in a very solid floor.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

There's a pinch of stiffness on film

Finally got around to watching him, and you definitely see that stiffness, but you also see that shuttle-time come into play, and he has great instincts at the point of contact/attack/whatever, with some pretty healthy hand moves. 

For sure a take, especially if you're putting him in the bag with Broughton and Collins. 

Edited by UncleBuck

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

Fillinger plays very intensely and urgently, like he's snorting caffeine pills, or is typical Poly football player. If you can get him up to 275 while keeping his good-not-great athleticism, he should be a difficult guy to block, especially while offenses are dealing with the Ojomo, Sweat, Collins, and Broughton types, and should be a tackling machine in the run game for the position. If he has stand alone pass rushing upside, I think it comes from the maniacal effort and technical rather than athleticism/speed, bend, and length departments. Basically a rich man's version of who we were all hoping Hager could be once he spun down. 

Nahlin thinks much the same, that he has a high floor but a low ceiling (compared to someone longer/more athletic/rawer/less-good-at-football like Broughton).

Just now, UncleBuck said:

I'd imagine that'd be their preference. I think I'd prefer that also. Just doesn't look to be trending that way. 

I see what you're saying, and I do agree. I just don't know how else the class is going to fill out, so I'm just assuming that we'll have one left over and he'll get it. 

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

I see what you're saying, and I do agree. I just don't know how else the class is going to fill out, so I'm just assuming that we'll have one left over and he'll get it. 

I mean, if you can take both, I think that'd be cool. 

6 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

Excuse my ignorance on the topic of x’s and o’s, but is Fillinger a potential LB prospect? It wouldn’t be ideal, but given the current state of LB recruiting.. never fucking know. 

Yes. We're gonna take a high school DE and bulk him up to 6'3" 290 and put him at rover. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yes. We're gonna take a high school DE and bulk him up to 6'3" 290 and put him at rover. 

Sounds pretty dumb when you put it like that. Thanks. 

Luckily we’ve never moved a 6’3 290 end to LB before. That’d be embarrassing. 

Edited by Ok. Caol Hook Em!
I’ll stop now
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Something else that needs to be ascertained with Fillinger is if he's Mormon, and if so, is a mission trip is on the table?

No BYU offer. Best clue I can offer.

Noticed he won state shot put with ~50' throw. That any good? Or is Utah T&F lacking?

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Something else that needs to be ascertained with Fillinger is if he's Mormon, and if so, is a mission trip is on the table?

I think you meant to say Mormont, bastard son of the Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, Jeor Mormont. He’s been hiding in Utah until he came of age and his mission trip is to bring a championship to Austin. They’re a family of bad asses, if you didn’t know.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IllHaveWhatRickysHaving said:

I can't remember a 3* I've wanted us to get this much. His highlights are so Brian Robison-esque.

Plus, it sounds like a made-up name just to make him sound badass.  Van Fillinger.  My name is Van Fillinger, and I'm here to beat your ass and fuck your woman.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ya he’s a real lunch pail guy, a coach on the field?

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So has more than one decision been made, or did he leave out an apostrophe intending to mean "decision has been made"?  Poor grammar.  Do not want.

Mormon autocorrect refuses to accept your Western standards of punctuation.

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Giles gonna' take one long nap if he gets 2 DL commits in a matter of days.  Someone be sure to have a plate of wings for that man when he wakes up.

I actually think he has an office in the back of a Buffalo Wild Wings, with a nice cot. 

He looks like an Aaron Lewis clone. If he added 20 pounds in college he would have exactly the same measurebles to go along with the shotput/multi sport talent and fast shuttle time like Lewis did. 

Edited by Newy25

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He looks like an Aaron Lewis clone. If he added 20 pounds in college he would have exactly the same measurebles to go along with the shotput/multi sport talent and fast shuttle time like Lewis did. 

Nice.  I had forgotten about him.  He threw the shot 55 and change back in HS in New Mexico.