Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

IT

2020 RB RECRUITING

As if recruiting Zach Evans wasn't going to be difficult enough to navigate, Texas will have multiple other priority running backs to keep track of in the coming cycle.

How do you approach recruiting the position when the greatest priority of all is set to make a last minute decision? You better have your ducks in a row. Any staff who keys on Evans will have to take measures to ensure it doesn't miss out altogether on what is a talented instate class. Along with the North Shore runner, you have Aledo's Jase McClellan (.9908), and Mesquite Poteet's Seth McGowan (composite .9609) as highly rated volume backs.

McClellan is committed to OU but does hold a Texas offer. OU also holds a commitment from Florida runner Jaylan Knighton (composite .9507) who the Texas staff also likes.

UT running backs coach Stan Drayton visited Poteet last week. No offer was extended but that likely stems from Drayton not being able to meet with McGowan due to Seth not getting the text from his coach in time. This will be a very interesting recruitment to watch. Texas cannot land him without recruiting him with tremendous effort. Schools standing out to him right now are Georgia, OU, LSU, Stanford, TCU, and Oklahoma State.

He made a point to mention those schools have all offered. Once the Texas offer comes it sounds like the Horns will be in that group. Texas can make serious headway here if it chooses. Both McGowan and Drayton have no-nonsense personalities and from his limited exposure with Drayton, McGowan speaks highly of him. "Texas is a school I'd like to start building relationships with."

While in town, Drayton also went by West Mesquite to see Ty Jordan (composite .8849). You'll see that rating and wonder why Texas is in pursuit, but he's a bit different fit than the others, and also under-rated. Jordan is thickly built and could support a greater workload than you might expect, but he's more of a 10 carries a game type and home run hitter. You'd want to bring him in to change the pace and give an added dimension to the offense. If Texas decided to push and take Jordan, that would leave one spot left in the class. Decisions, decisions. My feeling is Jordan is being a bit shielded from the process and that's why he hasn't been vocal or taken many visits, but I understand he already has a strong relationship with Drayton.

In recent weeks I quoted Evans as saying he liked Oklahoma and wouldn't mind playing with the nation's #2 running back Kendall Milton (composite .9953). Milton is from Clovis/Fresno, CA., an area Oklahoma has recruited well. While I don't think these two will end up at the same school, I do think they're both entertaining that idea and OU currently makes sense to them. Except, as stated, OU has two commits already. Interestingly OU is recruiting like it has no pledges at the position despite having an enviable haul.

Milton will take a visit to Texas at some point, likely in the spring. Drayton has done well to spark a relationship with his father, Chris. People Chris Milton trusts in the football world have offered very positive words on Drayton.

Of course the prize is and will remain Evans. In the same interview he mentioned wanting to play with Milton, he also said he wanted to play with his offensive lineman, Damieon George. Recently I also wrote that it would be wise to get Tom Herman more involved in the recruitment. On Friday Herman offered George while visiting campus. It's a small, yet necessary step. George was very excited to receiver that offer, btw.

I don't think many will have the stomach for the Evans recruitment but the whole position grouping is going to be wild to follow. The staff will have to play it well tactically in order to capitalize on the bountiful instate crop.

(note: I didn't hear back on McClellan to see how hard UT is currently pushing. It would be wise to stay on him because OU's recruiting at the position is much more up in the air than it appears)

(note #2: O-line recruiting is going to be just as wild. I'll have to break that down soon. It's going to be a fun cycle)

2020 CB IN LINE FOR AN OFFER

Fort Bend Marshall corner, Avery Helm, claimed an LSU offer last week. He already held Utah which is always a good early indication of ability. At 6-foot-2, he has the length the Texas staff covets at the position and despite not holding an offer just yet, he says it's been mentioned and that he's already been to two games at DKR this season and he has a good relationship with Texas coaches.

Inexplicably he's rated a .8628 but that will change. Even though his film is shot from the moon, you can see he has the movement skills and twitched required of the position. I'm a fan of his and judging by his two visits to Austin, he's a fan of Texas.

Once camp season rolls around you'll see his rating correct.

8 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I THINK he has a brother in Austin already.  So that might help. 

But to answer,  according to aggy everywhere is aggy.

As much as I hate to admit it, Aggy reach isn’t just College Station anymore. Bryan is brimming with them. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

46 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

The area from Katy up to Cypress over to Klein is pretty aggy. Clear Creek is down in League City, which is more balanced. I say it's fine that aggy has those areas because they're very bland.

The Clear schools are UT, if anything. I’m from that way with family still there. Never thought of it as aggie-centric, really. Lake used to send athletes to LSU, but that was in the 90’s and coaching related. Probably not pressure for a player to go anywhere but where they want from anywhere south of 610 in Houston. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Clear schools are UT, if anything. I’m from that way with family still there. Never thought of it as aggie-centric, really. Lake used to send athletes to LSU, but that was in the 90’s and coaching related. Probably not pressure for a player to go anywhere but where they want from anywhere south of 610 in Houston. 

Huh, well that's good to hear. Also, while the Katy/Cypress/Klein schools are pretty aggy, I don't remember there being all that much pressure to go there. It's truly astonishing at how many go to College Station from the area though. I think about 100 out of 700 went to aggy/blinn from the CFISD school I attended back in the day. That being said, there really haven't been many recruits from Cypress who panned out at any school. Some of the recent ones have been O'Neal, Blanton, Alaka, Deculus, Christian Jones, Deoundrei Davis, and Keith Ford. Hopefully Jones breaks the trend becomes a solid player. Anyway, tangent ended.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I went to Clear Lake - it's definitely more Texas than aggy...astronaut space kids are smart enough to know the difference between UT and aggy 

• Like 1

Is Clear Creek on of the aggy areas of Houston? I always get the Creeks, Springs, Cypress suburbs of Houston confused and which ones are aggy.

Lived in League City from 1998 -2013...Definitely not Aggy Land. I would say it is independent, leaning Texas.

I have never had a clue about where any of these kids were leaning, but I do have some inside info on this kid. Texted with a family friend and he is down to Tree, GA, and UT. According to the kid that plays for CC with him, momma’s boy who will stay in state. Just passing along what I know and how I know it.

Grew up in north houston in the 2000s, and I never knew that I was in "aggie country" until I started following recruiting in college. There were a few goobers who wore aggie shirts everyday, and I had two good friends play sports at A&M, but it wasn't something talked about

I also went to school before they moved to the SEC, so maybe its worse now, or maybe other schools were worse and I got lucky, but based on my experience, the assumed aggie lean because he goes to a school in "aggie country" is overstated, and while there are some kids who are aggies from birth, there are far more who are neutral or hate aggies 

Went to CCHS and I can't remember the last time they put out a decent sports team unless you count swimming/water polo/volleyball. This guy might be the first football recruit really worthy of a Texas offer since I was born and one of the few that has the talent that can make it to professional sports. In the history of the school I think only a handful of baseball players ever made it to the professional level, not sure about football. Clear Lake on the other hand has put out a few athletes, including Connor Atchley.   The area has blown up with high schools over the last decade spreading out the talent across too many different teams for their to be many elite football programs.

The area is pretty independent for the most part though. Hopefully tree fidy's detective work is accurate and he ends up at Texas.

Huh, well that's good to hear. Also, while the Katy/Cypress/Klein schools are pretty aggy, I don't remember there being all that much pressure to go there. It's truly astonishing at how many go to College Station from the area though. I think about 100 out of 700 went to aggy/blinn from the CFISD school I attended back in the day. That being said, there really haven't been many recruits from Cypress who panned out at any school. Some of the recent ones have been O'Neal, Blanton, Alaka, Deculus, Christian Jones, Deoundrei Davis, and Keith Ford. Hopefully Jones breaks the trend becomes a solid player. Anyway, tangent ended.
Best college player from CFISD in the last decade might be A&M's punter.

25 minutes ago, MexHorn said:
41 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:
Couple other boards mentioning Logan Parr may commit this week.

Is he a tackle or a guard in college?

Guard/Center.  IMO Garth is a Tackle all the way and Lindberg is a RT/G.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd