Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yup, he's a guy with a lot of upside that will have the luxury of being able to sit behind Rising, RoJo for 2-3 years.  Still should take another QB along with him. 

2020 should be a smaller class, unless we decide to only take something like 25 this year, which is unlikely. Taking two QBs in a class of, say, only 23 isn't ideal, but part of Herman's secret sauce is running his QBs, which obviously leads to injury, so it makes sense to take two from that standpoint. We already know he's considering it with pursuing Hornsby with Card in tow, and now looking at Lewis. Haynes King is another interesting one to watch for. 

I'd personally like to find a badass high upside athlete as QB2. 

On 10/13/2018 at 9:03 PM, nozatx said:

I was there.  Card definitely struggled.  His numbers would have looked even worse if he hadn't had two interceptions overturned on penalties.  He threw one nice long ball to Garrett Wilson early, but struggled with accuracy and decision making for most of the game.  He is better as a runner than passer at this point - definitely a work in progress.  Also handled punting duties, for what that's worth.  Definitely a nice athlete, but needs more reps as QB.

I was even more surprised by Wilson.  He looked to me like he was bored.  Had one spectacular one-handed catch out of bounds, one easy long catch from Card early, and a kickoff return for TD (through traffic then easing past the kicker) when they were already down 34-7.  He played some cornerback and went off with an injury late in first half, but came back in early in the third and played the rest of the game.  I had really expected him to be more dangerous against a Westlake team that will be unlikely to receive any major college offers.,

LT got beat up by Westlake. The Chaps simply wanted it more. LT did not match Westlake's intensity at all, as in not even close. It looked like Mack's Horns vs Stoops' Sooners. I was surprised to say the least. Westlake won 3 out of 5 of the games this week. Not a good look for LT.

Card struggled no doubt about it. And while there were plenty of negatives directly attributable to Card (seemed rushed from the get go, overthrew several passes, made some bad reads, etc), the thing I liked was he never gave up and might have been the only player on the offensive side of the ball that fought whistle to whistle. 

Wilson hurt his back in practice two weeks ago. He has been largely a decoy the past two weeks. Westlake figured this out pretty early and covered Wilson in press man with no safety help. Wilson could not do anything with it given his back issue. The bye week is coming at a good time for Wilson and LT.

On 10/14/2018 at 7:40 AM, closetojumping said:

Someone needs to get in front of Longhorn94’s computer and put this post on ignore. I do not want blood on our Surly hands. He could die of heart failure when seeing this or hunt you down and murder you for Lake Travis insolence. Either direction gets nasty. 

this made me laugh hard... wasnt expecting it. 

IT

By: Eric Nahlin

CHAD LINDBERG

I went and caught the first half of the Clear Creek/Alvin game. Alvin is a very, very bad football team and it's much worse when Texas defensive back commit Marques Caldwell doesn't play. I was hoping Caldwell would be cleared for the game but he was not (shoulder).

Alvin didn't want to come off the ball so I didn't come close to seeing Lindberg tested. No matter, I was there to gather more information on what promises to be a tougher recruitment than fans would like.

As we know Lindberg takes his academics incredibly serious. Every class of his that matters is honors. Of course that means Stanford will be in the picture, and the Cardinal have Houston area recruiters in the form of Walker Little's parents.

Another thing Stanford has going for it is a smaller, less busy atmosphere, that might appeal more to Lindberg. Of course it is far away, and Chad has a brother who is a freshman at Texas which helps a bit.

The Lindberg's attended the LSU game versus Georgia on Saturday. I get the feeling the trip was as much to see the visiting team as the home team. LSU isn't really going to be a culture that speaks to the 6-foot-6, 310 pound offensive lineman.

While the Lindberg's will do their research on a number of schools (Clemson was also named), I get the feeling this will evolve into yet another Texas/Stanford battle. Yay.

We'll see if Texas can punch back. Obviously the staff has a lot more to sell than in previous classes, but this has to be an academic pitch as well.

While Caldwell didn't play, it was very telling how upset he was that he had to miss the game. When I say Alvin is bad, I mean BAD. But he still wanted to be out there with his teammates. High character kid. Great build, too.

ZACH EVANS

The recruitment for the 2020 North Shore running back will be the biggest circus I've covered, but there's a good chance that will be due to factors outside of Evans' control. Malikmas will pale in comparison. Knowing this in advance I'm going to do my best to keep the board from getting too up or too down. I would caution those who want to live and die by every little tidbit posted on random places like Facebook. I don't think Mark Zuckerberg knows much about recruiting, and he's certainly out of the loop in North Shore.

As I mentioned in the Prospects Board, Evans couldn't visit this weekend because his practice ran long on Saturday. He and his brother CJ still intend to make it to a game and know West Virginia is a good contest that remains on the schedule.

I caught up with someone close to this recruitment who said Zach is wide open. Any favorites that he might have are fleeting. Lately he's been talking up OU (who already has two stud 2020 running back commits), but other times it's been Texas, A&M, Bama, and even Georgia. With well over a year to go before he decides, his thoughts should be all over the place.

I asked who his best relationship is with and a running back coach at a school he won't end up at was named. That's relevant because no school of those with a realistic chance have the upper hand in that regard.

Currently Texas has Corby Meekins and Stan Drayton on the case but this will become one that Tom Herman has to personally get involved with to have a chance.

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

By: Eric Nahlin

CHAD LINDBERG

I went and caught the first half of the Clear Creek/Alvin game. Alvin is a very, very bad football team and it's much worse when Texas defensive back commit Marques Caldwell doesn't play. I was hoping Caldwell would be cleared for the game but he was not (shoulder).

Alvin didn't want to come off the ball so I didn't come close to seeing Lindberg tested. No matter, I was there to gather more information on what promises to be a tougher recruitment than fans would like.

As we know Lindberg takes his academics incredibly serious. Every class of his that matters is honors. Of course that means Stanford will be in the picture, and the Cardinal have Houston area recruiters in the form of Walker Little's parents.

Another thing Stanford has going for it is a smaller, less busy atmosphere, that might appeal more to Lindberg. Of course it is far away, and Chad has a brother who is a freshman at Texas which helps a bit.

The Lindberg's attended the LSU game versus Georgia on Saturday. I get the feeling the trip was as much to see the visiting team as the home team. LSU isn't really going to be a culture that speaks to the 6-foot-6, 310 pound offensive lineman.

While the Lindberg's will do their research on a number of schools (Clemson was also named), I get the feeling this will evolve into yet another Texas/Stanford battle. Yay.

We'll see if Texas can punch back. Obviously the staff has a lot more to sell than in previous classes, but this has to be an academic pitch as well.

While Caldwell didn't play, it was very telling how upset he was that he had to miss the game. When I say Alvin is bad, I mean BAD. But he still wanted to be out there with his teammates. High character kid. Great build, too.

ZACH EVANS

The recruitment for the 2020 North Shore running back will be the biggest circus I've covered, but there's a good chance that will be due to factors outside of Evans' control. Malikmas will pale in comparison. Knowing this in advance I'm going to do my best to keep the board from getting too up or too down. I would caution those who want to live and die by every little tidbit posted on random places like Facebook. I don't think Mark Zuckerberg knows much about recruiting, and he's certainly out of the loop in North Shore.

As I mentioned in the Prospects Board, Evans couldn't visit this weekend because his practice ran long on Saturday. He and his brother CJ still intend to make it to a game and know West Virginia is a good contest that remains on the schedule.

I caught up with someone close to this recruitment who said Zach is wide open. Any favorites that he might have are fleeting. Lately he's been talking up OU (who already has two stud 2020 running back commits), but other times it's been Texas, A&M, Bama, and even Georgia. With well over a year to go before he decides, his thoughts should be all over the place.

I asked who his best relationship is with and a running back coach at a school he won't end up at was named. That's relevant because no school of those with a realistic chance have the upper hand in that regard.

Currently Texas has Corby Meekins and Stan Drayton on the case but this will become one that Tom Herman has to personally get involved with to have a chance.

The Little's need to fuck off with all that Stanford recruiting.  If they love it so much then pack up and move to Stanford.  I hope Herman puts an end to this Stanford shit starting with Lindberg.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

The Lindberg's have one son enrolled at Texas and Chad can play for a young team that is currently in the discussion for the CFP.   Walker Little is not going to ever sniff the CFP, but he did sniff Warehime's turds.   

The way he's developing he may also not be sniffing a 2nd NFL contract.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The Little's need to fuck off with all that Stanford recruiting.  If they love it so much then pack up and move to Stanford.  I hope Herman puts an end to this Stanford shit starting with Lindberg.

Little’s what?

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

The Lindberg's have one son enrolled at Texas and Chad can play for a young team that is currently in the discussion for the CFP.   Walker Little is not going to ever sniff the CFP, but he did sniff Warehime's turds.   

Lindberg’s what?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The way he's developing he may also not be sniffing a 2nd NFL contract.

Hmmm. Texas diploma and a natty. and developed by Hand so you extend your life in the league . 

Or a Stanford diploma. Never see the playoffs. Dont get developed and bounce from the league early. But you got that edjumaction to fall back on. 

Id have to think a natty ring and an extended NFL career has to play better in the long run. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-wednesday-october-17th/

North Shore Recruits | Quick Hitter
– Andrew King

As I reported last week, North Shore (TX) ’20 RB Zachary Evans and some other recruits from North Shore were hoping to visit Texas on Saturday.

That was the plan, but like I also reported last week one person said it might be tough for them to make it in for a day game as they have team workouts and film sessions on Saturday morning. I was told they got out around 12:30 on Saturday and there wasn’t enough time for them to make it to Austin for the game.

I’d look for Evans and some of the other North Shore guys to possibly be in Austin in a few weeks for the West Virginia game. Especially if it’s a night game.

Updates from California
– Super K

***5-star DB, Elias Ricks was another player on the field that Texas is targeting.

So, the second point I mention in the tweet above is one of my favorite things about Ricks. He’s a competitor. Reminds of the south Florida guys. Plays with that edge, talks all game long, looks at the opposing crowd and talks to them but he’s locked in at the snap.

One of his players got into a minor dust-up on the other side of the field and Ricks was the first person to go flying across the field to come to his teammate’s defense.

There were too many other players on the field to watch. So, it’d be tough to give you a detailed technical evaluation but I did not that he does well mirroring at the line of scrimmage which is obviously a big thing for bigger corners cause they tend to be a little later in their turn. Though I noticed the cornerback opposite of him, Darion Green-Warren was also quite good in his mirror and off hand jam. So, this must be something they teach well at Mater Dei.

In the end, though, Ricks has premium size and athleticism which are the tools you want to work with.

I plan on stopping by the school tomorrow to speak with Ricks. So, I’m hoping to get a sense of his visit schedule as well.

OL Logan Parr | Post Visit Update
– Andrew King

Another top target that was in Austin this weekend was O’Connor (TX) ’20 OL Logan Parr.

This was his second trip to Texas on the season. Parr told me he really enjoyed himself saying “It was great. I got to talk with Coach Herman and Coach Hand in person again which I was looking forward to.” Parr told me the talks weren’t really much about football, more of a “personable conversation” and that they were glad to see him again.

I reported that week that one reason that he was excited for the visit was that it would be his mother’s first trip to Texas. He told me she really enjoyed the trip as well. Telling me “She got a great feel for the place and it was the first time she got to meet Coach Herman and Coach Hand, and she liked them very much!”

When I asked Parr what is it about Texas that’s standing out so far, he told me it had to do with the relationships Herb Hand already has with his offensive lineman. ” You can see each player trusts everything he says and that he cares for each and every one of them.”

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Herb Hand is without question the best hire Herman has made. The guy will be bringing recruits we haven't seen since early Mack, but actually be able to get the most out of them. 

You must work in the media. Everything new has to be "the best." I really like what I've seen of Hand so far, but plenty of reasonable folks would say Orlando is his best hire.

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

You must work in the media. Everything new has to be "the best." I really like what I've seen of Hand so far, but plenty of reasonable folks would say Orlando is his best hire.

If you "reasonable" you mean "anyone with eyes."

Auburn seemed oddly content with letting Hand walk, mostly because they were pissed about the number of sacks their lines gave up under him and general pass protection issues. But what else has changed for them this year as they've gone entirely to shit? Because we're certainly happy with the guy. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

If you "reasonable" you mean "anyone with eyes."

Auburn seemed oddly content with letting Hand walk, mostly because they were pissed about the number of sacks their lines gave up under him and general pass protection issues. But what else has changed for them this year as they've gone entirely to shit? Because we're certainly happy with the guy. 

What seemed like the few reasonable auburn posters didn't like losing Hand and had reasons for the high sack total, including Stidham having zero internal passing clock and the design of the offense risking sacks to go vertical frequently, and they appear to be vindicated 

Just now, Fud said:

What seemed like the few reasonable auburn posters didn't like losing Hand and had reasons for the high sack total, including Stidham having zero internal passing clock and the design of the offense risking sacks to go vertical frequently, and they appear to be vindicated 

I didn't see any of the few reasonable auburn fans, but you spend a lot more time outside the silo of surly compared to me. I just saw the bleating that he was a good recruiter, a shit developer, and his teams gave up too many sacks. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I didn't see any of the few reasonable auburn fans, but you spend a lot more time outside the silo of surly compared to me. I just saw the bleating that he was a good recruiter, a shit developer, and his teams gave up too many sacks. 

Some autists compiled auburn posts from all their boards into an OBs thread, iirc 

One of the big complaints was that he liked to use guards at tackle, and judging from who he's been targeting in recruiting, that complaint appears to be a non-issue 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Herb Hand is without question the best hire Herman has made. The guy will be bringing recruits we haven't seen since early Mack, but actually be able to get the most out of them. 

I still think Herman wasn’t joking when he said he wasn’t taking a job without Yancy McKnight. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I meant offensively, not defense. Orlando, Naviar, and Washington on defense no doubt. 

That's fair.  And those names are who I thought about.

Hand appears to be a huge upgrade. Hopefully, Herman can upgrade again this offseason.