Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

With a monster OL class (Parr, Lindberg, Garth all heavy Longhorn leans) and the potential of adding George to that, I would hope Evans is looking at it and dreaming of the massive holes these guys could open up for him...compared with a bunch of fat guards at Aggy trying to bulldoze people with their stomachs and getting owned by good defensive lines.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, thepop said:

This is supposed to be the beef class right? Good start.

The Texas leans look good for next year, but I'd argue the class of beef is 2021. The early top of the rankings are heavy with state of Texas OL. Should be a couple of good years in a row.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

2 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

suprised that dont have that shit behind a paywall.......yet

They probably won't put it behind a paywall. It drives a lot of traffic to their site, including views from people at competitor's sites.  

Edited by RabidM

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

And Christian Jones and/or Reese Moore.

One of them will play RT, after Cosmi leaves and Johnson moves over from RT. I look at this way...

2019 OT's - Cosmi (so), Okafor (jr), Johnson RS

2020 OT's - Cosmi (jr), Okafor (sr), Johnson(rfr) , Moore (so), and Jones(so) all get PT behind the 2 starters.

2021 OT's - Johnson (so), Moore/Jones (jr), Cosmi declares early for the NFL draft and is taken in the 1st 2 rounds.

2022 OT's - Johnson (jr), Moore/Jones (sr), Garth(so), George(so), and Lindberg(so) all get playing time behind the starters.

2023 OT's - You have the 3 kids from the 2020 class as juniors ready to take over should Johnson leave for the NFL.

This is how you build OL's, kids don't start seeing real PT until their 3rd years on campus.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

One of them will play RT, after Cosmi leaves and Johnson moves over from RT. I look at this way...

2020 OT's - Cosmi (jr), Okafor (sr), Johnson, Moore, and Jones all get PT behind the 2 starters.

2021 OT's - Johnson (so), Moore/Jones (jr), Cosmi declares early for the NFL draft and is taken in the 1st 2 rounds.

2019....Johnson would be a true Freshman right??

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

2020 OT's - Cosmi (jr), Okafor (sr), Johnson(rfr) , Moore (so), and Jones(so) all get PT behind the 2 starters.

2022 OT's - Johnson (jr), Moore/Jones (sr), Garth(so), George(so), and Lindberg(so) all get playing time behind the starters.

2023 OT's - You have the 3 kids from the 2020 class as juniors ready to take over should Johnson leave for the NFL.

This is how you build OL's, kids don't start seeing real PT until their 3rd years on campus.

Cosmi is a 2017 kid. Leaving after the 2021 season isn't leaving early. He's actually eligible to leave next season. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-monday-october-29th/

2020 4-Star Wide Receiver | Troy Omeire | In-Person
– Super K

Recently, I had a chance to see 2020 wide receiver, Troy Omeire (Fort Bend Austin) in action. This was my second time in the past couple weeks seeing Omeire in-person. I saw him in practice last week.

When I saw him at practice, he was wearing his trusty Texas gloves. He was wearing them again last night. Apparently, he wears them all the time…like a good luck charm.

Omeire took an unofficial visit to Texas earlier this fall and says he plans to return again for a game, later this season. He doesn’t know, yet, which game but with only two home games left, it’ll be either Iowa State or West Virginia.

Not a ton to report in his recruitment. Texas is certainly in the top group for, he says. But it’s still early in his process and he doesn’t plan on narrowing things down, publicly, just yet. But again, when he does, I have little down Texas will be in it.

What I Saw…

One of the reasons, I’ve been wanting to see Troy this fall was to get a look at how well he runs in person. On film, I had some question marks.

But he answered those. He’s a very big wide receiver. At least 6’3, I’d guess. But he runs well. Very smooth. Long strider. But what I like is he doesn’t take long to get going. Troy comes off the line with a nice burst. He’s smooth in and out of his breaks. He plays a bit high and it’s hard for me to tell just yet what that’ll mean against defensive backs who will reroute him or press him. Still, there’s a lot to like about his feet and overall movement at that size.

***Fairly soft hands. He’s calm when the balls in the air. Looks like a natural pass catcher.

***One of the things I really liked seeing from him was his effort on the field. There was a particular play where, had the quarterback thrown the ball early enough, Troy probably goes for six. Quarterback hesitated against cover 2, came off Troy, targeted another wide receiver and threw an INT. That can be frustrating for a player. Troy didn’t throw his hands up in disgust or anything of the sort. Instead, he immediately sprinted back in the other direction to try to help bring down the ball carrier.

***Another thing that stands out is when his team needs a play, they go to him and he delivers. At the end of the game, they needed a touchdown and went for two to get their lead to seven. They went to him both times and he made both plays.

Watch him take a quick inside release, use his outside hand to get rid of his defender and separate.

The next play was a slant for the two-point conversion and I will say he looks better on the inside routes right now.

***I did take note on a particular play where the defense was in cover 2, he ran himself into the safety a little. Cornerback gave him a soft reroute and then sunk inside so he had a lot of room to widen on the route.

Overall, the more I see Troy, the more I’m impressed. Again, this is a young man who is going to be a very big wide receiver at the next level who moves, fluidly and runs well. I’ll be interested in seeing him against more aggressive cornerbacks in the future.

Sunday “Shhh”
– Charlie S

You didn’t have to wait long for this one…

2020 offensive lineman Logan Parr out of Helotes, TX, O’Connor high school committed late last night as you are all well aware.

Parr is a very nice get at this stage for the 2020 class and will serve as a building block for offensive line recruiting in a cycle that will be vital for Texas to have a big haul on the line.

IT

PARR COMMITS

Texas added it's second commitment to the 2020 class on Sunday night when San Antonio O'Connor offensive lineman Logan Parr made the call. The search for a center in the class is over almost as fast as it began.

Even before he received his Texas offer I felt he'd end up in the class, but after telling me he wanted to build notebooks detailing pros and cons of each school of interest I thought he'd take a bit more time. Apparently that wasn't needed.

"After going through the process and finishing my notebook early, I really had time to look over all my options and see my best option. I had almost 40 pros for Texas which was more than double any other school. I really like coach Hand and Herman and love how personable each of them are. With all that, I just had a feeling in my heart where I knew where I wanted to go. I believed that if I truly knew where I wanted to go, there should be no reason to wait."

Almost 40? The staff needs to get that notebook to the printing press and ship copies all over the country.

2020 RECRUITING

The 2020 class is better on the field and off the field than in the 2019 class and because of that you'll probably see the staff prioritize domestic players a little harder.

I caught up with a handful in recent days.

Father of Duncanville national top 100 safety Chris Thompson on upcoming visits: "Logistically, it's difficult for us. We traveled to LSU two weeks ago, Texas A&M earlier in the season, and possibly Texas or LSU again in a week or so. Ohio State has been on us about visiting but that may not happen until the summer. He's still open to the following: Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Texas, Texas A&M, Stanford, Notre Dame, and Ole Miss." There's a chance Thompson will be in Austin for the game versus West Virginia on Saturday, but he may head to Baton Rouge as well.

Vernon Broughton's mother said similar about a visit this weekend. They may head east or west, to Austin or Baton Rouge. Recall she coached basketball at LSU previously. They have a very busy weekend, I could see them deciding to stay home. Broughton, like Thompson, is a huge priority for the staff.

Cibolo Steele defensive back Jaylon Jones is another priority. I caught up with his father and that exchange was pretty telling. I'd heard Jones was from Florida and with him camping there and also taking an unofficial visit to Gainesville I had the Gators as a team to watch. Maybe not so much now. Said his dad, "My wife and I are both originally from Texas, she's from Houston and I'm from Mt. Pleasant but he was born in Jacksonville, FL., when we lived there so he claims Florida...lol." I mentioned he has a little East Texas to him then, "yes sir, and I let him know it every chance I get!"

Most telling from my interaction with Virgil Jones was the relationship Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington has forged with the family. Look for Jones to visit this Saturday. Other schools they want to get to are Georgia, Ohio State, and....Purdue. Purdue? "He has an offer to Purdue and they have really been recruiting him hard so they have actually sparked enough interest and he wants to go see them in person."

Dallas Bishop Dunne linebacker Brennon Scott picked up an Oklahoma offer yesterday. I congratulated him on that and asked if he's been hearing much from Texas. He said he hears from Coach Orlando and they've talked about him visiting for the West Virginia game. Scott says he'll most likely make the trip. What schools are contacting him the most? "Baylor, Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Nebraska. Everyone else I hear from occasionally."

His junior year footage is quality. I've mentioned recently if Texas is going to run so much dime it needs b-backer's who have mac ability. That's Scott and I'd look very hard at him if he checks out. Somebody will mention Bishop Dunne kids don't make noise in college but it's bound to happen at some point. I like him, and he's potentially a fit at two positions.

WEST VIRGINIA VISITOR LIST - Early Edition 

It’s early, blah blah blah. There’s some dogs coming onto the 40 Acres this weekend when the Mountaineers storm Bevo Blvd. Prospects like Noah Cain, Isaiah Hookfin, and Elijah Higgins will fill DKR on Saturday evening in a battle for first place in the Big 12.

Other notables, Brennon Scott and Jaylon Jones, are likely.

We’ll of course have the full list compiled by Friday hopefully before Dana Holgorsen slams his first Jager bomb and chases it with a 24oz Monster.

In Crockett, there’s a Allen Horace Jr. At 6-foot-5, 225 lbs, the junior, multi-sport plus+ athlete is starting to see his stock rise.

He holds a handful of offers including Nebraska, Oklahoma State, and Arkansas, with the Horns and Aggies probably not too far away from it. He visited Texas during the Tulsa game.

“Man, I had so much fun up there at the Tulsa game,” said Horace Jr. “Man, the atmosphere was crazy, the student section was live the whole game, the coaches I met were very welcoming and the players really did look like family out there. Definitely want to come see the campus and meet some more of the coaches.”

His basketball skills really translate under the Friday night lights. While I could see him as a possible B-backer, tight end might be his future.

“I think I prefer tight end," said Horace Jr. "Coach Warehime was the one talking to me about it.”

The long, lean junior wants to mirror his game to the previous hoopers-turned-footballers.

“Yeah, Antonio Gates was a dog,” Horace Jr. said. “But I really like Tony Gonzalez. Dude was a natural."

There was that one dude from Diboll back in the day.

“My brother told me Jermichael Finley was that dude in high school in basketball too.”

The truth is either side of the ball will work for Horace Jr., but his upside is too good to ignore. I expect UT to push around spring time.