Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

I don't understand the "solidify the left side of the line and let everything else be damned" coaching technique at all. We've had this issue before, with Connor Williams most recently, and I dont understand not spreading out the talent so that maybe we can have some multi-directional  offense that can run to both sides. I think Vahe was Connors LG, and they were good, but unfortunately I think Angilai is going to be exactly what Vahe was, good enough to be a multi-year starter at UT, but not good enough to be drafted in the first 5-6 rounds. Unless he has a hell of a senior year, but dudes don't wait til year 4-5 to learn how to pass block (regardless of Hands stance on Okafor).

You can’t seriously think Cosmi wouldn’t make the 2-deep on the 09 team. Forget the 2-deep, He’d be the best OL on the entire team. 

People have seemed to forget the Colt was running for his life that whole season and Suh made the entire O line his bitch single handily. Can’t believe we were a bad hit on Colt away from winning the MNC too.

On 10/15/2020 at 9:19 PM, BurdineBandit said:

I don't understand the "solidify the left side of the line and let everything else be damned" coaching technique at all. We've had this issue before, with Connor Williams most recently, and I dont understand not spreading out the talent so that maybe we can have some multi-directional  offense that can run to both sides. I think Vahe was Connors LG, and they were good, but unfortunately I think Angilai is going to be exactly what Vahe was, good enough to be a multi-year starter at UT, but not good enough to be drafted in the first 5-6 rounds. Unless he has a hell of a senior year, but dudes don't wait til year 4-5 to learn how to pass block (regardless of Hands stance on Okafor).

you'd think if you solidify the left side you could run behind the left side

On 10/14/2020 at 11:34 AM, LTtxfan said:

DAMN, move Kerstetter to OG or OT and this O-line would be a helluva lot better.

Hand is a worthless fuck as a football coach!! 😠

It's pretty baffling we don't have another lineman who can be a center and move Kerstetter to RT. I just don't get it. Herman has been here for 4 years and didn't recruit a fucking center?

10 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's pretty baffling we don't have another lineman who can be a center and move Kerstetter to RT. I just don't get it. Herman has been here for 4 years and didn't recruit a fucking center?

They did, they just couldn't develop him into one. The problem is they put on their eggs into the Ghirmai basket, and it didn't work. They should have known a year ago that this kid wasn't going to be a center and starting looking for other options.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

They did, they just couldn't develop him into one. The problem is they put on their eggs into the Ghirmai basket, and it didn't work. They should have known a year ago that this kid wasn't going to be a center and starting looking for other options.

Exactly. They're not using the portal to their advantage. Surely there's a center in there, right?

Another week, another bad performance from the offensive line. Scipio's take:

Very poor protection up front. The same bull**** slide protection where no Horn OL takes accountability for a 280 DL on several play action calls nearly killed Ehlinger and turned OSU DE Tyler Lacy into a 3 tackle for loss star having defeated zero blocks. You never allowed an unbocked big inside of the tackles or a DL across your face in pass protection. Ever. Texas did it repeatedly. Herb Hand is a failure as an OL coach at the unit and individual teaching level. 5 sacks allowed, 8 tackles for loss surrendered. Multiple hits on Ehlinger.

I have good things to say about the run blocking of Christian Jones and, to a lesser extent Okafor, in the first half. Jones collapsed his side of the line multiple times. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about pass protection. Both were betrayed by a stupid play action slide protection neither one knew how to execute and Hand obviously can't teach. From a technique standpoint, Jones is giving up too much depth in his drops. He's effectively conceding the bull rush. Okafor was flat out beaten for a sack on another play.

Kerstetter had a puzzling fumbled snap where the ball got away from him, but was otherwise fine. Angilau really struggles with movement and line games, but that's descriptive of the whole unit. Cosmi was fine, but gave up a pressure. OSU Wide 9 rushers - Bundage, Ford - on clear passing downs really gave us trouble. Overall, I find it hard to rate individuals when the overall coordination of the unit is lacking and I question technical development. We do little to help them and a lot to make their jobs harder.

How do we keep ending up with the retread oline coaches?

Its been an issue since Mack brought Nunes. It's been a combination of poor player selection but mostly very, very poor development, through the lack of teaching/coaching technique.

All of the other position groups have had at least one positive, effective influence as a coach over the years.

I know poor offensive scheme over the years hasn't helped but Oline coaching has sucked for decades now. We had one or two years with very good to great lines thanks to recruiting, maybe even in spite of coaching (McWhoter?)

• Hook 'Em 1

Until TEXAS fixes their O-line coaching problems, they will continue in mediocrity.  Any folks wondering why blOU continues to be the best team in the B12 should look no further than the development of th DAMN Gooners O-line by their great O-line Coach.

Notre Dame O-line played one  hell of a game vs Clemson last night.

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Clemson was missing 4 starters from their front 7. I wouldn’t go sucking ND dick just yet.

I have no clue if 2020 ND's OL is worth a shit. I haven't watched them play. But I know they've put some really fucking good OL into the NFL in the past ~5 yrs. I'd feel somewhat comfortable celebrating whatever it is that goes into their identification/development of OL players. Certainly when compared to what's going on with our team.

• Like 1

I have no clue if 2020 ND's OL is worth a shit. I haven't watched them play. But I know they've put some really fucking good OL into the NFL in the past ~5 yrs. I'd feel somewhat comfortable celebrating whatever it is that goes into their identification/development of OL players. Certainly when compared to what's going on with our team.

Yah, Notre Dame’s OL is consistently a top OL in the nation. Don’t give a shit who was missing from Clemson’s front seven. Our oline plays worse fronts than that all year.

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Was surprised wvu defensive line didn't have more pressure on Sam yesterday.  Anybody notice why the TEXAS O-line held up better yesterday??

They also blocked well enough for the run game to get going. Maybe, just maybe, WVU’s defensive front 7 is a little bit overrated...

11 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

They also blocked well enough for the run game to get going. Maybe, just maybe, WVU’s defensive front 7 is a little bit overrated...

No they didn't. Outside of Robinson's 1st carry, they OL blocked well enough for the running game to get 33 carries for 127 yards or a 3.85 YPC.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No they didn't. Outside of Robinson's 1st carry, they OL blocked well enough for the running game to get 33 carries for 127 yards or a 3.85 YPC.

We had 179 yds on 34 carries for 4.5 ypc. Not stellar by any means, but better than we have done all year. They actually had to respect the run a little, rather than disregard it at all and tee off on Sam.

Edited by USNALonghorn

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Watching replay, looks like the TE's were used in blocking more often vs wvu to help the right side of the HORNS OL...

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

We had 179 yds on 34 carries for 4.5 ypc. Not stellar by any means, but better than we have done all year. They actually had to respect the run a little, rather than disregard it at all and tee off on Sam.

just think if the running backs didn't have to make someone miss in the backfield every fucking run

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2