Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

5. Majors will be joined in the starting lineup by another true freshman, tackle Andrej Karic (redshirt freshman Tyler Johnson is expected to start at Okafor’s right guard spot with Herman saying Monday Johnson has done “really, really well” in bowl practices). After playing a large chunk of the K-State game, Karic is going to get his first career start and if what Robinson has seen on the practice field comes to fruition Tuesday, it could be a tough call for someone to attempt to unseat Karic from the No. 1 group in spring practice.

“He just has a dog mentality,” Robinson said of Karic, a four-star prospect ranked No. 364 overall in the 247Sports Composite. “He wants to destroy everybody that's in front of him and it doesn't matter who you are. I just feel that with him having that mindset and him delivering that mindset to the whole offensive line, it'll be a scary sight. I just love to see how hard he works. He does it so controlled and just to see when he does get in that zone and whoever comes across him, they'd just better watch out.”

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Alamo-Bowl-Colorado-Buffaloes-college-football-2020-10-final-thoughts-Tom-Herman-job-status-158000593/#158000593_9

4. Derek Kerstetter suffering a season-ending leg injury in the K-State game, Samuel Cosmi opting out of the remainder of the season and declaring for the 2021 NFL Draft following a 23-23 loss to Iowa State on Nov. 27 and Denzel Okafor not expected to play in the Alamo Bowl due to reasons related to COVID-19, the offensive line is going to look vastly different than it did through the first eight games of the season. One of the constants from the team’s last game is Jake Majors getting his second start in as many games at center, which could be the biggest positive when projecting what the 2021 offensive line looks like if Majors can replicate what he did his last time out.  The true freshman looked like the center of the future he was billed to be when the Longhorns recruited him in the K-State game where Texas piled up 608 yards of total offense (10.1 yards per play) and produced the program’s highest point total since 2005 with Bijan Robinson (172 of the team’s 334 yards rushing) setting a school record by averaging 19.1 yards per carry.

“He's been incredible,” Ehlinger said of Majors, the No. 195 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite rankings for 2020. “He's been a guy that came in and worked really hard immediately. I feel very comfortable with him at center. He knows every call, he gives me great snaps, so he's been doing a great job and I feel very comfortable with him up there.”

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Alamo-Bowl-Colorado-Buffaloes-college-football-2020-10-final-thoughts-Tom-Herman-job-status-158000593/#158000593_6

38 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Took the entire damn season and multiple starting true freshmen, but we may have finally figured out outside zone!!

34 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I guess I blame cosmi and kertstetter?

This was my thought during the KSU game, and then I realized how much better Majors was at outside zone than Kerstetter. Kerstetter really just doesn't know how to play center. He's looked uncomfortable and unsure of what to do all year. Almost like when you have an above average RT, you should leave him at RT. Crazy idea, I know.

This was my thought during the KSU game, and then I realized how much better Majors was at outside zone than Kerstetter. Kerstetter really just doesn't know how to play center. He's looked uncomfortable and unsure of what to do all year. Almost like when you have an above average RT, you should leave him at RT. Crazy idea, I know.

But you know, it worked for Bama once.

I know it’s only a game or two but some of the young guys looked pretty good. Majors looks legit at center. Karic looks like he’s put on a ton of good weight. Anyone who knows more than I do about OL (which is pretty much everyone) have any thoughts on next year OL?

5 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I know it’s only a game or two but some of the young guys looked pretty good. Majors looks legit at center. Karic looks like he’s put on a ton of good weight. Anyone who knows more than I do about OL (which is pretty much everyone) have any thoughts on next year OL?

The group definitely has a lot of potential. I don't trust the current coaching staff to reach it, so it's kind of hard to project with that in mind.

The only one I'd feel really good about trotting out against, say, Oklahoma tomorrow would be Karic. Obviously not going to take a first round pick's starting job as a freshman but he's going to be a plus LT for three or four years.

Majors still definitely needs to add strength. A good NT with plus athleticism would punish him without a lot of guard help right now. But it is really fucking hard to find a center that consistently reach a playside DL on outsize zone as fast as he can. That is a deceptively hard block and you can't really teach that kind of fluidity. IIRC he played OT in high school, so his game still needs to be refined for the interior, but he's more advanced at center than I expected. I definitely thought it'd be a 2-3 year project just to get him ready to start but he clearly has All-Big 12 ceiling. He and Junior are a nice compliment because Junior is certainly not lacking in the power department.

Hard to say too much on Tyler Johnson after one game. I confess I didn't watch him as closely as Majors or Karic. He didn't jump out to me as an obvious downgrade from Okafor, which is a good place to be as a RS FR. The only things that really stuck out to me are 1.) He seemed tentative/a half-step slow. Could be a lot of reasons for that. Maybe just be a speed of the game thing. Or maybe he doesn't have a firm grasp on assignments. Or maybe he needs to drop 15 pounds. 2.) He seemed to let his feet die on contact quite a bit. That's a bad trait but it is correctable. I see why he was such a highly rated prospect though. Despite everything I just said he held his own and wasn't an obvious negative in his first D1 action. He's got a great athletic profile for a OL and if he progresses as you'd hope for a freshman he could be very good as an upperclassman.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So excited for Flood and to see competent line play that is cohesively integrated with Sark's system. And Flood is inheriting the deepest oline room at Texas that I can recall especially with Okafor and Kerstetter (hopefully healthy) back. 

They obviously aren't the physical freaks of nature that Bama is putting out there, but there is a lot to work with. Karic, Anguilau, Majors, Johnson, and Jones all started at some point last year. Hookfin was fighting for a starting position and thought to be one of our better prospects before getting hurt. Tyler was also in line for playing time before opting out. That's 9 guys who can realistically be expected to contribute and there are more in the wings. 

Compare that what both Strong and Herman started with. They could hardly find 5 guys to play and they were generally untalented and mostly poorly prepared. For all of Herman's faults, talent evaluation and roster management certainly weren't among them. 

Also, I found a podcast with Flood from last February that's a pretty good listen. He talks about everything from his background to working in the NFL, Bama and blocking schemes. Definitely recommend if you're into that sort of thing. 

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/7821/podcast-nyshsfca-kyle-flood-university-of-alabama-offensive-line-coach

• Hook 'Em 2

Kyle Flood Bio...

Kyle Flood joined the Alabama coaching staff in January of 2019 to coach the Crimson Tide’s offensive line. Flood took over Alabama’s offensive front after two years on the Atlanta Falcons’ coaching staff. He also boasts four years of head coaching experience, guiding the Rutgers Scarlet Knights from 2012-15. Entering his 26th year of coaching, Flood welcomes back four starters from the 2019 squad that was a finalist for the Joe Moore Award, which recognizes the most outstanding offensive line in college football. The 2019 group, which included Alex Leatherwood, Evan Neal, Landon Dickerson, Deonte Brown and Jedrick Wills Jr., ranked third nationally and first in the SEC, surrendering just .92 sacks per game. The Crimson Tide front line also blocked for the nation’s No. 2 scoring offense and No. 6 total offense (510.8 ypg), while ranking ninth nationally and first in the SEC in rushing attempts resulting in a gain of five or more yards. Leatherwood earned first team All-America honors while Wills Jr., the Tide’s only departing starter, was the No. 10 overall pick of the Cleveland Browns in the 2020 NFL Draft. Dickerson also earned second team All-SEC recognition at center while Neal garnered Freshman All-America honors. Flood spent the 2017-18 seasons working with a Falcons’ offensive line that only allowed 24 sacks in 2017 – tied for the third lowest amount in the NFL. Flood’s assistance in his first year in Atlanta was also shown by the group’s ability to sustain blocks as the Falcons line helped create 230 big plays (plays that are 10-plus yards). In 2018, the offense finished in the top 10 in the NFL in passing yards (fourth – 4,653 yards), total yards (sixth – 6,226 yards) and 10th in scoring (25.9 ppg).

On 1/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Also, I found a podcast with Flood from last February that's a pretty good listen. He talks about everything from his background to working in the NFL, Bama and blocking schemes. Definitely recommend if you're into that sort of thing. 

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/7821/podcast-nyshsfca-kyle-flood-university-of-alabama-offensive-line-coach

Great Stuff...    Thanks!!!

Your host Keith Grabowski was able to visit the New York State High School Football Coaches’ Association Clinic. During his time in New York, Keith was able to sit down with a multitude of coaches to garner insight and knowledge into new trends in football. On today’s episode of the Coach and Coordinator podcast, University of Alabama offensive line coach Kyle Flood joins the show. A former head coach at Rutgers University and an offensive line coach for the Atlanta Falcons, Coach Flood has experienced a lot during his career. Hear his insight on his favorite blocking schemes, his experiences ranging from the high school football to the NFL and Coach Flood's thoughts on what gives the University of Alabama the winning edge.

0:20 Intro 
1:20 Coach Flood’s background
2:19 Playing at Iona College
3:48 Early days as a coach
5:45 Differences at each playing level
6:41 Impressions from the culture at Alabama
8:06 The impact of coaching at Alabama
9:15 Coordinating the run game
10:36 How many reps do we really need?
11:40 Facing SEC defenses and wide zone plays
13:12 Shoulder lifts
13:31 Pin and Pull
14:53 Communication on the sideline with players
16:35 Organizing pass protection
18:14 Identifying disguises from the defense
19:12 Analyzing formations
21:10 Eliminating speed rush with chipping
22:16 Changing sets for tackles
23:36 The winning edge

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
was holding onto hope that the brockermeyers would change their commit after sark left.   probably the two biggest losses of the recruiting class, and most mysterious.

They signed NSD1. Also, it’s hardly a mystery. Look at Alabama’s record of OL development/draft picks and then look at Texas’s. Coming to Texas would’ve been an objectively stupid decision for them given the information available to them. Blame lies with Herman and Hand.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

They signed NSD1. Also, it’s hardly a mystery. Look at Alabama’s record of OL development/draft picks and then look at Texas’s. Coming to Texas would’ve been an objectively stupid decision for them given the information available to them. Blame lies with Herman and Hand.

signing means nothing.  decommitments happen.  if sark was one of the reasons they committed to bama they might have moved with him.  apparently sark wasnt what drew them to bama.  

11 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

signing means nothing.  decommitments happen.  if sark was one of the reasons they committed to bama they might have moved with him.  apparently sark wasnt what drew them to bama.  

Dad was sold on the dream of his sons being "legendary".  The secondary reason was Flood.  They were clear on that.    

21 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

Signing actually means everything. Signing is not the same as committing. You can't just decommit after signing your NLI. Once they signed on their LOI on NSD1, the only way they could've moved is 1) if Alabama releases them from their NLI (not happening) or 2) They enroll at Alabama and then transfer portal to Texas (also not happening). Signing binds them to that school.

Trying to breakdown depth chart on 2021 O-line

• LT    Karic
  • LG    Angilau
  • C      Majors
  • RG    Okafor 
  • RT     Kerstetter 

• Parr                     LG 
  • Ghirmai                 C         
  • Tyler Johnson     RG 
  • Christian Jones   RT 
  • Imade                   RG/RT
  • Garth                   RG
  • Hookfin                RT
  • Hayden Conner
  • Max Merrill

Depth at center and left tackle are concerning -- hopefully Kerstetter returns healthy in 2021.

image.pngChart thanks to @RollLeft

Edited by LTtxfan