Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

On 1/23/2024 at 12:34 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Open your ears and open your mind:

Always loved this song.  That first album of hers was pretty great.  

She hosted some New Year's thing too and she was a mess there.  I give it somewhat of a pass since it was New Year's, but obviously there is more to it.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Also, he just picked up a couple of Grammys, and Jimbo was on stage for the acceptance.  

Best American Roots Song

• "Blank Page" – Michael Trotter Jr. & Tanya Trotter, songwriters (The War And Treaty)
  • "California Sober" – Aaron Allen, William Apostol & Jon Weisberger, songwriters (Billy Strings Featuring Willie Nelson)
  • "Cast Iron Skillet" – Jason Isbell, songwriter (Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit)
  • "Dear Insecurity" – Brandy Clark & Michael Pollack, songwriters (Brandy Clark Featuring Brandi Carlile)
  • "The Returner" – Drew Lindsay, JT Nero & Allison Russell, songwriters (Allison Russell)

Best Americana Album

• Brandy Clark by Brandy Clark
  • The Chicago Sessions by Rodney Crowell
  • You're The One by Rhiannon Giddens
  • Weathervanes by Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit
  • The Returner by Allison RussellAre 

So for the elite who couldn't be bothered to appreciate Luke Combs' cover of "Fast Car", he and Tracy Chapman just fucking homered it out of the park at the Grammy Awards.  What a treat, at a show that rarely offers any treats.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

I don't know much about Luke Combs, but he needs to mix in a salad once in a while.

Tracy Chapman doesn't need any help hitting dingers.  She's fucking great, and she always was. 

Yeah, well Fat Luke parked millions in Tracy's mailbox this year, so good for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm sure she appreciated it.  

Honestly, I need to seek out, and listen to, his cover.  I haven't heard it, because I find popular country to be a fucking bore.  Yeah, I get it.  You've got 4 wheel drive, bla bla bla. 

If he's introducing her music to a bunch of country fucks that don't know about her, it's a good thing. 

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm sure she appreciated it.  

Honestly, I need to seek out, and listen to, his cover.  I haven't heard it, because I find popular country to be a fucking bore.  Yeah, I get it.  You've got 4 wheel drive, bla bla bla. 

If he's introducing her music to a bunch of country fucks that don't know about her, it's a good thing. 

It's pretty much a straight cover.  Maybe a little less contemplative, but it's not like he rocks it up down at the lake beach in his truck or anything.

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I just saw a live version of Combs.  Not terrible, but not Chapman.  

Hot take.  Covers of "Eleanor Rigby" ain't The Beatles, either.  He sings it well, she's wholly responsible for one of the most iconic songs of the rock era, and he literally doubled her audience with one simple recording.  Fair trade.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Hot take.  Covers of "Eleanor Rigby" ain't The Beatles, either.  He sings it well, she's wholly responsible for one of the most iconic songs of the rock era, and he literally doubled her audience with one simple recording.  Fair trade.

he sings it as well as the best drunk at the local bar on karaoke night.

He doesn't butcher it for sure.  

So for the elite who couldn't be bothered to appreciate Luke Combs' cover of "Fast Car", he and Tracy Chapman just fucking homered it out of the park at the Grammy Awards.  What a treat, at a show that rarely offers any treats.

Wendy and Lisa backing up Annie Lennox was pretty cool. Seeing Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis was fun.

Luke Combs has a few songs I actually enjoy.  Seems like the kind of guy who'd make for a good neighbor.  His cover of "Fast Car" was competent and brought new attention to a great song and made Tracy Chapman a shit load of money in the process.

I have zero issue with any of it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just since we're weighing in, I don't know much about Luke Combs but I also don't have a problem with him. Beyond bringing attention to a great song, I am a fan of mainstream country audiences emotionally connecting with black lesbians, whether they're aware of it or not.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Luke Combs has a few songs I actually enjoy.  Seems like the kind of guy who'd make for a good neighbor.  His cover of "Fast Car" was competent and brought new attention to a great song and made Tracy Chapman a shit load of money in the process.

I have zero issue with any of it.

do we actually know this?   Streaming doesn't pay shit.  Did that song actually sell records/CDs?

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

do we actually know this?   Streaming doesn't pay shit.  Did that song actually sell records/CDs?

It gets played on terrestrial radio a ton.  I think that still generates significant royalties.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Just since we're weighing in, I don't know much about Luke Combs but I also don't have a problem with him. Beyond bringing attention to a great song, I am a fan of mainstream country audiences emotionally connecting with black lesbians, whether they're aware of it or not.

I keep thinking of the younger generation watching and wondering why is this lady singing Luke's song? The same people who think Ted Lasso is the originator of so many famous quotes. Anyways, it's great for Tracy Chapman and well deserved attention. 

Someone posted a clip last night on X where she was a fill-in at Live Aid, entire crowd of 80,000 not paying attention to her, in chant and before you know she's singing Fast Car and the place is silent. Awesome sight.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I remember him saying years ago he was only gonna make like 4-5 albums and then just kinda peace out

Good for him

sucks for us 

at what point do we replace  his name on the thread title and with whom?

I vote Childers 

Edited by UTexasFight

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Good for him

sucks for us 

at what point do we replace  his name on the thread title and with whom?

I vote Childers 

I suspect that he shows back up.  Those guys just can't shut it off forever.

Except for Paul Westerberg, seemingly.

• Like 1

A bunch of cool people got together at the Troubadour and paid tribute to a song thief.   But we got this gem out of it.  I read about the show but didn't think it would be recorded.   Still, someone got a decent video of it.   Isbell and Sadler also did a cover of Kodachrome.  

• Like 3

Set list from the show:  

Blind Boys of Alabama, “Loves Me Like a Rock”
Jason Isbell and Sadler Vaden, “Kodachrome”
Molly Tuttle and Ketch Secor, “Mrs. Robinson”
Natalie Lafourcade, “You’re the One”
Bobby Rush, “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover”
Ruthie Foster, “Slip Slidin’ Away”
John Vincent III, “The Only Living Boy in New York City”
Brett Dennen, “Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard”
Larkin Poe, “Paranoid Blues”
Susanna Hoffs with Grace Bowers, “Hazy Shade of Winter”
Gaby Moreno, “Late in the Evening”
Silvana Estrada, “El Condor Pasa (If I Could)”
Sean and Sara Watkins, “Hurricane Eye”
Madison Cunningham, “Kathy’s Song”
Andrew Bird and Alan Hampton, “American Tune”
Johnnyswim, “Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War”
Marcus King, “America”
Allison Russell, “The Sound of Silence”
Dwight Yoakam, “The Boxer”
Jackson Browne, “I Am a Rock”
Rufus Wainwright, “Bridge Over Troubled Water”
Rodney Crowell, “Graceland”
Finale, “You Can Call Me Al”

A bunch of cool people got together at the Troubadour and paid tribute to a song thief.   But we got this gem out of it.  I read about the show but didn't think it would be recorded.   Still, someone got a decent video of it.   Isbell and Sadler also did a cover of Kodachrome.  

Link goes to Dwight for me.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I wasn't paying any attention, but did he win anything?  Because Weathervanes is the kind of album that should win awards.

Best American Roots song (whatever that is )and best Americana album.  Dude is pure class.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Best American Roots song (whatever that is )and best Americana album.  Dude is pure class.  

I follow him for his recovery even more than his music. 
Who was that presenter, and how does she feel about balding midwestern ranchers?