LSU @ Texas Analysis: LSU Offense

sushihorn

When you find yourself screaming 'just look at what we did against Georgia Southern!' you should probably be in wait and see mode. but i get it, for years you've felt like the only thing holding you back from greatness was a modern offense. that you think in week 2 of said offense you're going to confuse a defense that defends offenses week in and week out that have forgotten more about the spread than your rhodes scholars learned this past offseason is fucking rich.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Obscenities are not required.  I use them infrequently.  But they are highly encouraged on Surly.

Gotcha.  I mentioned before that one of my sons graduated from UT and I have donated to the school.  I think it is a fine place.  I harbor no ill will to any in longhorn nation.  I live in the DFW area.  I enjoy college football and have been a fan of LSU since the early 70s (Cholly Mac).  I wish the best for the longhorns after the game saturday and may neither team sustain any significant injuries.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

When you find yourself screaming 'just look at what we did against Georgia Southern!' you should probably be in wait and see mode. but i get it, for years you've felt like the only thing holding you back from greatness was a modern offense. that you think in week 2 of said offense you're going to confuse a defense that defends offenses week in and week out that have forgotten more about the spread than your rhodes scholars learned this past offseason is fucking rich.

that have forgotten more about the spread than your rhodes scholars learned this past offseason is fucking rich.

OK.  I just look at the scores from last year and chuckle to myself.  We get a chance to sort it out Saturday.  Fair enough?

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

that have forgotten more about the spread than your rhodes scholars learned this past offseason is fucking rich.

OK.  I just look at the scores from last year and chuckle to myself.  We get a chance to sort it out Saturday.  Fair enough?

it's been years since we've seen a flood of mouthbreathers like this. not with ND, not with Georgia...I really can't remember the last time an opposing fanbase has run over here to flap their gums like this. how about you head back to your board for the rest of the week, you've let us all know exactly what you think. now piss off.

• Like 3

Their starting O-line had a ton of experience. The youngest guy on that line was a 4 year starter. No doubt there was a talent gap in that game, but for our DL to put on that kind of pressure against a OL that had seen a lot of time, including Clemson's studly DL last year, I feel much better about us getting pressure with fewer blitzes

----------------------------------------------

I want to add onto this very good point.

There is a fallacy going around that LSU could easily throw on Georgia Southern as they lack a secondary to stop it, while other secondaries (Texas being the most vocal) will not be void of talent (just experience).

This is simply false in every way. Burrow craved up a very good pass defense of Georgia Southern. Did you know that in 2018 Georgia Southern was #54 in pass defense nationally? That’s better than Texas at #112. But Texas plays in the wide-open pass happy Big12, so the comparison is not fair.... Georgia Southern also ranked ahead of Auburn and Texas A&M.

But Texas is DBU... talent is so deep. Did you see Jalen Green this week! It doesn’t matter who goes up against our CB because they practice against the best WRs in college football every day. They are all 6’6” and run like deers. No team will have better WRs. These are all things Texas fans AND analysts have said or written in the past 3 weeks. It confusing because...

Georgia Southern CBs
Kindle Vildor
- 2018 2nd Team All American (PFF)
- 2018 Sun Belt POTY (PFF)
- 2018 AP 1st Team All-Sun Belt
- 2019 Coaches Preseason Defensive POTY
- 2019 Coaches Preseason 1st Team All-Sun Belt

Monquavian Brinson
- 2018 1st Team All-Sun Belt (PFF)
- AP 2nd Team All-Sun Belt x 2 years

Georgia Southern has 2 Senior CBs that played in huge games (Clemson last year for example), and yet Burrow craved them up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Perhaps we are under appreciating the work that LSU did on offense this week?

^Stolen from LSU247

• Fuck You 2

@White Tiger

Surly is like a bar in the rough part of town. There is no patience for the things for which there is no patience. There is a great deal of expertise and insight. And piles of inside jokes. The best way to learn the difference between the insight and the jokes (and the idiocy and the filler) is to lurk. Engaging boldly before you have the lay of the land is certainly a choice, but suburban soccer dads who get cussed out and kicked in the ass while trying to explain things to bikers at the biker bar often leave without truly appreciating who was the fool. Peace, regards, see you after the game, etc.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

Talk to you after the game,, Tex.  I think LSU wins most of the one-on-one battles on both sides of the ball.  That will be the difference.

Deep analysis there. I think this guy knocks your noodle arm QB out of the game.

EBK6-Zci-Wk-AAjpyq.jpg

58 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Okay, let me try to help. One guy looks fat AF. The other guy looks much more like a fit athlete. 

So weight numbers without a corresponding BFP (or just some photos) are useless for comparisons. 

LOL. Here are some more clear images of your 330 lb "fit athlete"

spacer.png

9137616.jpg

Edited by DayHeGeaux
Edit

40 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

JB, is this true:

OU #1 offense scored 45 and 39 
Ok. State #13 offense scored 38 
West Virginia # 10 offense Scored 42 
Texas Tech #16 offense scored 34 on them. 

Seems like a high average score for a solid defense to surrender.  What are your thoughts?

45 and 39 were the 5th and 4th fewest points OU scored all year.  Only Iowa St, Alabama, and Army allowed fewer.

38 from OSU were the 6th fewest (below their season average).

42 from WVU were their 5th most - and above their season average.  Definitely a disappointing game.

Texas Tech averaged 37 points a game .

My thoughts are that LSU hasn't come close to playing the number or quality of spread offenses that Texas faces every season.   Its going to be incredibly interesting to see just how 'new' and 'innovative' this LSU offense can be when they're facing a defense who sees the same shit every week of conference play.  Maybe it doesn't matter and LSU athletes on offense are just better. 

Or maybe the LSU defense is so superior physically that it just doesn't matter what Sam Ehlinger does at QB. 

But I doubt it.

14 minutes ago, Brain Hanger said:

Their starting O-line had a ton of experience. The youngest guy on that line was a 4 year starter. No doubt there was a talent gap in that game, but for our DL to put on that kind of pressure against a OL that had seen a lot of time, including Clemson's studly DL last year, I feel much better about us getting pressure with fewer blitzes

There is a fallacy going around that LSU could easily throw on Georgia Southern as they lack a secondary to stop it, while other secondaries (Texas being the most vocal) will not be void of talent (just experience).

This is simply false in every way. Burrow craved up a very good pass defense of Georgia Southern. Did you know that in 2018 Georgia Southern was #54 in pass defense nationally? That’s better than Texas at #112. But Texas plays in the wide-open pass happy Big12, so the comparison is not fair.... Georgia Southern also ranked ahead of Auburn and Texas A&M.

But Texas is DBU... talent is so deep. Did you see Jalen Green this week! It doesn’t matter who goes up against our CB because they practice against the best WRs in college football every day. They are all 6’6” and run like deers. No team will have better WRs. These are all things Texas fans AND analysts have said or written in the past 3 weeks. It confusing because...

Georgia Southern CBs
Kindle Vildor

Monquavian Brinson

Georgia Southern has 2 Senior CBs that played in huge games (Clemson last year for example), and yet Burrow craved them up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Perhaps we are under appreciating the work that LSU did on offense this week?

^Stolen from LSU247

2nd.  Team.  All Sun-Belt.   

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Brain Hanger said:

Georgia Southern CBs
Kindle Vildor

Monquavian Brinson

^Stolen from LSU247

LSU rarely challenged the corners.  In fact 2/3 of their completions were so short they were in front of the LBs much less the DBs.  GSU stayed in a cover 2 shell which made the position predictable and pre-snap reads easy for the QB.  Texas is very much the opposite in terms of defensive design.  My main concern is excessive complexity may confuse some of the younger DBs.

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I want to take a second to thank every single Texas fan on this board for not beating your chest and touting a blowout win against LaTech as something that is in any way meaningful.

that would be awfully embarrassing. 

It's literally taking everything in me not to bring up UT's game 1 track record under Herman.

Edited by DayHeGeaux
Error
  • Fuck You 4

Just now, DayHeGeaux said:

It's taking literally everything in me not to bring up UT's game 1 track record under Herman.

Maybe you should. You could use it to prove how UT is the same lackluster team that started 2018 rather than potentially something that has been growing through the 2019 Sugar Bowl into a new and more promising 2019.

1 minute ago, DayHeGeaux said:

It's literally taking everything in me not to bring up UT's game 1 track record under Herman.

Feel free to bring it up. It's just totally irrelevant to the game at hand, given a) UT bucked Herman's game 1 trend in a major way this season and b) this Saturday will not be game 1.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

LSU rarely challenged the corners.  In fact 2/3 of their completions were so short they were in front of the LBs much less the DBs.  GSU stayed in a cover 2 shell which made the position predictable and pre-snap reads easy for the QB.  Texas is very much the opposite in terms of defensive design.  My main concern is excessive complexity may confuse some of the younger DBs.

You should expect to see a lot of bunch formations. 

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Feel free to bring it up. It's just totally irrelevant to the game at hand, given a) UT bucked Herman's game 1 trend in a major way this season and b) this Saturday will not be game 1.

I agree. UT should be a happy to get over this hump. @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt made it seem like that game was beneath you. 

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

With our corners and safeties, I hope so. It puts the latter in the vicinity of the former.

It all depends Texas' defensive package, the goal using bunch formation is jumble the defensive pre-snap reads; getting LBs isolated on WR, etc. 

Jalen was solid. I can't say that about the rest of Texas' CBs. 

• Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Brain Hanger said:

How does one crave up a pass defense? Or a turkey? Did he want them too much?

37 minutes ago, Brain Hanger said:

Georgia Southern CBs
Kindle Vildor

Monquavian Brinson

^Stolen from LSU247

Etienne also averaged 10 yards a carry against them. Did LSU do that?

36 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

@White Tiger

Surly is like a bar in the rough part of town. There is no patience for the things for which there is no patience. There is a great deal of expertise and insight. And piles of inside jokes. The best way to learn the difference between the insight and the jokes (and the idiocy and the filler) is to lurk. Engaging boldly before you have the lay of the land is certainly a choice, but suburban soccer dads who get cussed out and kicked in the ass while trying to explain things to bikers at the biker bar often leave without truly appreciating who was the fool. Peace, regards, see you after the game, etc.

Thanks, Magnus.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, White Tiger said:

Like how it took you 7 overtimes to hit 70 points against our inbred fuckwit blacksheep little brother school that boasts a .500 all time conference win percentage?

Edited by Vertigo

26 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Anyone who earnestly believes Georgia Southern has a good pass defense needs to stop publicly commenting on football. 

there isn't a single player on texas' roster that boasts 2nd team All Sun-Belt honors 2x years. while obviously a concern, i'm just hoping we have some athletes on the field that won't be too confused when they see a few WRs split out wide.

47 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Like how it took you 7 overtimes to hit 70 points against our inbred fuckwit blacksheep little brother school that boasts a .500 all time conference win percentage?

Yes.  I nearly forgot about that game and huge win for the Aggies.  Of course, thanks for reminding me.  

1.  I think our o-line will be good enough to keep your front 7 from being disruptive

2.  I think our defense has well-above average talent compared to your offense which will struggle to score.  Probably 2 turnovers for LSU at least.

As I said we'll all see come Saturday night.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, DayHeGeaux said:

It all depends Texas' defensive package, the goal using bunch formation is jumble the defensive pre-snap reads; getting LBs isolated on WR, etc. 

Jalen was solid. I can't say that about the rest of Texas' CBs. 

I realize given that the history of LSU is littered with intellectual heavy weights like Les Miles and Ed Orgeron so you are not accustomed to this novel concept but we in the Big 12 have seen advanced offensive strategies like "multiple formations" before. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, White Tiger said:

Yes.  I nearly forgot about that game and huge win for the Aggies.  Of course, thanks for reminding me.  

1.  I think our o-line will be good enough to keep your front 7 from being disruptive

2.  I think our defense has well-above average talent compared to your offense which will struggle to score.  Probably 2 turnovers for LSU at least.

As I said we'll all see come Saturday night.

I know that your "think" is fanaticism. 

If you are waiting to see Saturday, go in the corner, lurk and STFU.

10 minutes ago, Smooth99 said:

I'll try to articulate (as an LSU fan) some of my observations and concerns for this game.  Seems this thread has gone sideways.

I think it's hard to really gain a whole lot of perspective on what LSU is capable of doing and what gives them issues on offense from the Georgia Southern game.  LSU has traditionally been a complete mess on offense in which the passing game never looked incredibly sharp, was always devoid of enough options for the QB to take advantage of a short/immediate passing game.  I believe that's why GaSouthern was in the defense they were in.   I also believe that's why LSU spent so much time trying to throw the football.  I was happy with the organization, lack of presnap penalties, the right routes being run, and the ball being delivered on time.  It's what we've been waiting for as fans and should be a minimum expectation for a program with the athletes LSU has.  Shame on them for letting the offense be what it was for so long.  

The Left Tackle position is a massive concern...if Charles goes down.  If plays were blown up, it was usually due to the LT missing an assignment.  Charles didn't play and the combination of his replacements struggled some. While the young guy (Rosenthal) has all the talent in the world, he has work to do in the mental side of things.  I'm also concerned about lack of push from the OL in a few short yardage situations. 

The reality is......this is going to come down to the usual suspects.....Turnovers, 3rd down efficiency, red zone, if one team has a big injury or two,  and who can execute when it counts.  I expect a highly competitive game.  I do feel more confident as an LSU fan after last week, but going into Austin in this type of situation is no cakewalk.  It will be fun to see how it plays out.

See other LSU fans, this is how you actually talk football. I agree with your talk about the GaSouthern game. I was pretty impressed that LSU was able to run a moderately up-tempo offense cleanly. I was impressed that your QB seemed to be efficiently and quickly making the right, even if obvious, reads in a new offense. I wasn't impressed with the lack of ability to push back a mediocre d-line or to get off blocks and get to the second level in the run game. The defense dominated a one-dimensional, out-sized, and athletically lacking offense, as it should. 

2 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

Question for longhorn nation:

If LSU somehow manages to win, may I return to be surly to the UT fans?  Or will you all neg me and bounce me cuz ya'll doan suffer no ignernt fools on dis here board?  Also, I will come back here for crow if things do not go well for LSU.  

Stop being such a bitch. 

Edited by Goodman
  • Like 4

Question for longhorn nation:
If LSU somehow manages to win, may I return to be surly to the UT fans?  Or will you all neg me and bounce me cuz ya'll doan suffer no ignernt fools on dis here board?  Also, I will come back here for crow if things do not go well for LSU.  
It depends on how you go about it. We regularly tolerate opposing teams' fans. If you come to share your perspective on game atmosphere, the city, highs and lows of the game, etc., you'll be in good company. But if you're just trolling and trashing our team, then you'll get negged to bolovia.