LSU fans bitch about DBU shirts - buncha whiney cunts edition

Ghost of Shag

3 hours ago, runthebone said:

My friend said he was at a meeting with a coworker from Louisiana.  They asked him what the weirdest thing he ever ate was.  He said, "Probably eagle."

They said "that's crazy" and asked him what eagle tasted like.

He said, "Like owl."

That's hilarious and not really surprising. Louisiana is like an entire state of 2 year old's - there's nothing they won't put in their mouths.

I'm genuinely curious, is there anywhere that shows that Texas came up with the term? I tried looking it up and couldnt find anything. 

Obviously I'm on a Texas website so I'm not here to be like "YOU'RE WRONG, LSU IS DBU" it's a pointless argument. You want to say Texas is DBU, go for it. Not here to change minds. It's the same on LSUs message board, everyone over there will laugh and think you're all crazy for thinking Texas is DBU. But I will say this, on websites that have multiple fans of all teams like CFB on reddit, amongst other fans if you go there and as who DBU is, it's about a 95% they'll all say LSU. With some Texas, FSU, Florida, ODu mixed in. But most other fan bases outside of the biased schools fanbase would say LSU.

That could just be due to LSU being more successful recently. Also I'm a die hard Earl Thomas fan. So I'm not strictly biased to the LSU side. 

10 minutes ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

I'm genuinely curious, is there anywhere that shows that Texas came up with the term? I tried looking it up and couldnt find anything. 

Obviously I'm on a Texas website so I'm not here to be like "YOU'RE WRONG, LSU IS DBU" it's a pointless argument. You want to say Texas is DBU, go for it. Not here to change minds. It's the same on LSUs message board, everyone over there will laugh and think you're all crazy for thinking Texas is DBU. But I will say this, on websites that have multiple fans of all teams like CFB on reddit, amongst other fans if you go there and as who DBU is, it's about a 95% they'll all say LSU. With some Texas, FSU, Florida, ODu mixed in. But most other fan bases outside of the biased schools fanbase would say LSU.

That could just be due to LSU being more successful recently. Also I'm a die hard Earl Thomas fan. So I'm not strictly biased to the LSU side. 

I couldn't tell you the exact date Texas started using that term (we're not aggy) any more than I could tell you when I first I heard another school using the term.  What I can tell you is that I first heard that term widely used with regard to Texas DBs probably close to two decades ago at least. 

In any event, it's a dumb thing to argue about.  I sincerely hope we kick the ever loving shit out of LSU on Saturday. 

Edited by dcbc

26 minutes ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

I don't remember seeing it in print for the first time, but I remember it being referenced when Jerry Gray (who played at Texas in the late 70s) retired from the NFL back in the early 90s, as "one of the founders of DBU" which was only one of dozens of nicknames from the days before the internet made self-marketing by athletes the adorable phenomenon we all know and love today. I also remember the 2005 DB group (one of the best, anywhere, ever) as "renewing the traditions of DBU". So, it's been around a good long time. No idea who was first and when they claimed it. Don't especially care, either, but I would honestly be a bit surprised if Texas wasn't the first.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Added Gray's college era for young whippersnappers.

The DBU moniker was a bone of contention with tOSU fans in 2005. 

If memory serve the entire 2005 backfield went on the the NFL. 

2011 Bleacher Report DBU article. https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/619456-texas-football-the-top-10-defensive-backs-in-longhorns-history.amp.html

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

2011 Bleacher Report DBU article. https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/619456-texas-football-the-top-10-defensive-backs-in-longhorns-history.amp.html

So there you have it-- an article from 2011, asserting that Texas has been using the moniker ""DBU" over the past 20 years.  Which would put us back to 1991.  

Is that enough longevity to assuage the insecurities of our overly sensitive guests from the east?  Probably not.

I'd heard people referring to Ohio State or Penn State as "LBU" well before that, in the 80s.  I vaguely recall various universities also being dubbed "QBU" during a similar timeframe.  Taking a position abbreviation and putting "U" behind isn't anything new, and certainly not something LSU would have pioneered within the last ten years, for DBs or any other position group.

Rod Babers did a list 4-5 years ago-

The Mount Rushmore of DBU:

1. (1) Jerry Gray (One of the patriarchs of DBU and had the legendary Jheri curl) 
2. (3) Johnnie Johnson (Two-time consensus All-American and would've won Thorpe Award if it existed) 
3. (2) Michael Huff (Consensus All-American, Thorpe Award winner and a national champion) 
4. (4) Nathan Vasher (The only DB at DBU to be an All-American at two different positions)

The All Americans:

5. (5) Earl Thomas (If he stayed four years he'd be on the Mount Rushmore; school single-season interceptions leader) 
6. (6) Aaron Ross (Winner of the Thorpe Award in 2006 as the nation's top DB) 
7. (8) Quentin Jammer (Consensus All-American, responsible for making DBU relevant again) 
8. (10) Lance Gunn (Most would say he's too high, but he's a three-time All-SWC player and an All American) 
9. (9) Bryant Westbrook (Two-time All-SWC player and an All-American) 
10. (7) Noble Doss (Tied as career interceptions leader, never was All-American or all-conference) 
11. (11) Raymond Clayborn (Two-time All-SWC selection and an All-American) 
12. (13) Stanley Richard (“The Sheriff” was All-SWC and an All-American in 1990) 
13. (12) Kenny Vaccaro (First-Team All-Big 12 performer in 2011 and 2012, plus an All-American) 
14. (14) Michael Griffin (An All-American and First-Team All-Big 12 selection in 2006) 
15. (15) Mossy Cade (All-SWC and All-American; big impact on stats (top-ten in career interceptions) 
16. (16) Bobby Dillon (One of the founding fathers of DBU; All-American in 1951) 
17. (17) Rod Babers (All Big-12 and All-American in 2002; fourth all-time in career and single-season PBUs) 
18. (N/A) Quandre Diggs (Newest addition to the rankings was Second-Team All-Big 12 twice, once Honorable Mention All-Big 12, Freshman All-American, ninth in career interceptions (11), ninth in career quarterback pressures (36) and 10th in PBU's (36)) 
19. (26) Curtis Brown (Honorable Mention All Big-12 and Honorable Mention All-American in 2009, Second-Team All-Big 12 in 2010)

23COMMENTS

The Rest of the Best

20. (19) Chris Carter (Fifth in career interceptions; All-SWC in 1995) 
21. (20) Jack Crain (Two-time all-conference selection, tied for second in single season interceptions) 
22. (18) Derrick Hatchett (Fourth all-time in career interceptions; All-SWC in 1979) 
23. (21) Cedric Griffin (First-Team All-Big 12 selection in 2005, Honorable Mention in 2004) 
24. (22) Blake Gideon (Four-time All-Big 12 Honorable Mention, started more games than any player in UT history) 
25. (27) William Graham (Tied for second in single-season interceptions and tied for ninth in career interceptions) 
26. (25) Van Malone (All-SWC in 1993) 
27. (24) Stephen Bragg (All-SWC in 1986; Six interceptions in one season in 1986) 
28. (23) Aaron Williams (Not here long enough to make big impact; Second-Team All-Big 12 in 2010) 
29. (42) Vance Bedford (Two time Second-Team All-SWC, fifth in career PBU's and third in single season PBU's) 
30. (28) Marcus Griffin (Younger brother of Michael Griffin, First-Team All-Big 12 selection in 2007) 
31. (32) John Hagy (All-SWC selection in 1987) 
32. (35) Mark Berry (Made the All-SWC team in 1991) 
33. (34) Phillip Geiggar (Often forgotten about but made Second-Team All-Big 12 in 2004, Honorable Mention in 2003) 
34. (29) “Super” Bill Bradley (Still has the record for interceptions in a single game with four against Texas A&M; what could've been...) 
35. (31) Alan Lowry (Made All-SWC as a DB in 1971 and as a QB the next year in 1972) 
36. (39) Ricky Churchman (All-SWC selection in 1979) 
37. (40) Fred Acorn (All-SWC selection in 1983) 
38. (37) Jay Arnold (All-SWC selection in 1973) 
39. (30) Carrington Byndom (Honorable Mention All-Big 12 in 2011 and Second-Team All-Big 12 in 2013) 
40. (46) Greg Brown (Two-time Honorable Mention All-Big 12 selection in 1999 and 2000) 
41. (33) Tom Campbell (Tied for seventh in single-season interceptions) 
42. (36) Bobby Ray Raley (Tied for seventh in single season interceptions) 
43. (41) Ahmad Brooks (Honorable Mention All-Big 12 selection in 2001) 
44. (38) Ryan Palmer (Second-Team All-Big 12 selection in 2008) 
45. (43) Dakarai Pearson (Was a Freshman All-American in 2000; six interceptions in 2002) 
46. (52) Mike Hatchett (Drafted by the Chicago Bears in the ninth round) 
47. (45) Brandon Foster (Honorable Mention All-Big 12 in 2007) 
48. (53) Eric Jeffries (Tied for seventh in single-season PBUs) 
49. (44) Tarell Brown (Starting corner for the 2005 national title team) 
50. (49) Craig Curry (Selected in the fourth round of the NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts) 
51. (N/A) Adrian Phillips (Honorable Mention All-Big 12 in 2013) 
52. (50) Chykie Brown (Starting cornerback from 2008-2010, drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the fifth round) 
53. (48) Glenn Blackwood (Drafted in the eighth round by the Miami Dolphins) 
54. (N/A) Charles Vaclavik (Drafted in the 12th round by the Pittsburgh Steelers) 
55. (51) Danny Lester (Drafted in the 13th round by the Philadelphia Eagles) 
56. (54) Freddie Steinmark (A sentimental favorite)

• Like 5

Hope Rod can write this now.

All-Time DBU Rankings

ByROD BABERS Feb 27, 2014 
  •  
  •  
  •  

My column this week was going to be about the history of DBU, but I got bored writing it so I figured you'd be even more bored reading it. I'll rewrite it and present it to you later, but now just wasn't the time.... 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Rod-Babers-ranks-the-top-DBs-in-Texas-Longhorns-history-179744/

That’s a damn deep list if the two Thorpe winners (from the 05 and 06 squad) didn’t even make the cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

That list is just full of awesome players and memories.

Quintin Jammer was a bad mofo.  I might have had Aaron Ross on the Mt. Rushmore.

Tough to have Ross any higher given that he was only a full time starter as a SR (and won the Thorpe). Shows just how ridiculously deep we were back then. DBU indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

Tough to have Ross any higher given that he was only a full time starter as a SR (and won the Thorpe). Shows just how ridiculously deep we were back then. DBU indeed.

Word.  Which is, of course, precisely why Texas was DBU.

I don't personally remember anyone using that term in the 90s, but in the early 2000s, after Ahmad Brooks, Rod Babers, and Nathan Vasher all followed Quentin Jammer into the NFL, it came on full-force.  So close to 20 years for sure.  And that was even before all those badass secondaries of the mid-2000s reinforced it further.  

Edited by utee94

8 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

1. (1) Jerry Gray (One of the patriarchs of DBU and had the legendary Jheri curl) 
2. (3) Johnnie Johnson (Two-time consensus All-American and would've won Thorpe Award if it existed) 
3. (2) Michael Huff (Consensus All-American, Thorpe Award winner and a national champion) 
4. (4) Nathan Vasher (The only DB at DBU to be an All-American at two different positions)

The All Americans:

5. (5) Earl Thomas (If he stayed four years he'd be on the Mount Rushmore; school single-season interceptions leader) 
7. (8) Quentin Jammer (Consensus All-American, responsible for making DBU relevant again) 
8. (10) Lance Gunn (Most would say he's too high, but he's a three-time All-SWC player and an All American) 
10. (7) Noble Doss (Tied as career interceptions leader, never was All-American or all-conference) 
12. (13) Stanley Richard (“The Sheriff” was All-SWC and an All-American in 1990) 
13. (12) Kenny Vaccaro (First-Team All-Big 12 performer in 2011 and 2012, plus an All-American) 
14. (14) Michael Griffin (An All-American and First-Team All-Big 12 selection in 2006) 
15. (15) Mossy Cade (All-SWC and All-American; big impact on stats (top-ten in career interceptions) 
16. (16) Bobby Dillon (One of the founding fathers of DBU; All-American in 1951) 
17. (17) Rod Babers (All Big-12 and All-American in 2002; fourth all-time in career and single-season PBUs) 
18. (N/A) Quandre Diggs (Newest addition to the rankings was Second-Team All-Big 12 twice, once Honorable Mention All-Big 12, Freshman All-American, ninth in career interceptions (11), ninth in career quarterback pressures (36) and 10th in PBU's (36)) 
19. (26) Curtis Brown (Honorable Mention All Big-12 and Honorable Mention All-American in 2009, Second-Team All-Big 12 in 2010)

23COMMENTS

The Rest of the Best

21. (20) Jack Crain (Two-time all-conference selection, tied for second in single season interceptions) 
22. (18) Derrick Hatchett (Fourth all-time in career interceptions; All-SWC in 1979) 
23. (21) Cedric Griffin (First-Team All-Big 12 selection in 2005, Honorable Mention in 2004) 
24. (22) Blake Gideon (Four-time All-Big 12 Honorable Mention, started more games than any player in UT history) 
25. (27) William Graham (Tied for second in single-season interceptions and tied for ninth in career interceptions) 
27. (24) Stephen Bragg (All-SWC in 1986; Six interceptions in one season in 1986) 
28. (23) Aaron Williams (Not here long enough to make big impact; Second-Team All-Big 12 in 2010) 
29. (42) Vance Bedford (Two time Second-Team All-SWC, fifth in career PBU's and third in single season PBU's) 
30. (28) Marcus Griffin (Younger brother of Michael Griffin, First-Team All-Big 12 selection in 2007) 
33. (34) Phillip Geiggar (Often forgotten about but made Second-Team All-Big 12 in 2004, Honorable Mention in 2003) 
34. (29) “Super” Bill Bradley (Still has the record for interceptions in a single game with four against Texas A&M; what could've been...) 
35. (31) Alan Lowry (Made All-SWC as a DB in 1971 and as a QB the next year in 1972) 
39. (30) Carrington Byndom (Honorable Mention All-Big 12 in 2011 and Second-Team All-Big 12 in 2013) 
40. (46) Greg Brown (Two-time Honorable Mention All-Big 12 selection in 1999 and 2000) 
45. (43) Dakarai Pearson (Was a Freshman All-American in 2000; six interceptions in 2002) 
50. (49) Craig Curry (Selected in the fourth round of the NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts) 
52. (50) Chykie Brown (Starting cornerback from 2008-2010, drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the fifth round) 
54. (N/A) Charles Vaclavik (Drafted in the 12th round by the Pittsburgh Steelers) 

Brandon Foster, Blake Gideon, and Ryan Palmer too high

16 hours ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

I mean, reasonable people can acknowledge that there is nothing scientific about this. Who sets the parameters or the criteria? What are they? There is no answer to this, and trying to somehow quantify it is a waste of time. 

I don't read other boards, but we can probably chalk up the "95%" who'd give the moniker to LSU to recency bias. Texas has had an uncharacteristically bad decade (but has still produced some NFL DBs, including an All-Pro last season). 

It seems like a dumb thing to argue about. If the Texas and LSU DBs want to stake their claim, they should. 

But it's obviously Texas. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

15 hours ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10581659/stanford-cardinal-hires-texas-longhorns-assistant-duane-akina-secondary-coach

ESPN 2014:

Credited as the architect of the "DBU" tradition at Texas, Akina coached 14 All-Big 12 defensive backs and two Thorpe Award winners during his 13 seasons with the program. Ten of his former Longhorn defensive backs played in the NFL last season.

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, reasonable people can acknowledge that there is nothing scientific about this. Who sets the parameters or the criteria? What are they? There is no answer to this, and trying to somehow quantify it is a waste of time. 

I don't read other boards, but we can probably chalk up the "95%" who'd give the moniker to LSU to recency bias. Texas has had an uncharacteristically bad decade (but has still produced some NFL DBs, including an All-Pro last season). 

It seems like a dumb thing to argue about. If the Texas and LSU DBs want to stake their claim, they should. 

Well, plus he's citing reddit/CFB as the source of his "95%" statistic, and reddit is pretty much 95% complete idiots, so there's the correlation...

8 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

The All Americans:

23COMMENTS

The Rest of the Best

Terrible list...No Destructive Back??

I gotta say. A lot of the articles posted here calling Texas DBU are from like 2014-2016.

And the 2016 even says "give it about two years and LSU will probably be the undisputed number 1 overall depending on how their current DBs play out"

And they all went to the NFL.

Like others have said its pointless to argue but for anything you show that points to Texas people can show stuff pointing to LSU. But overall I know Texas has more DBs in the NFL than LSU I think it's like Texas 50 LSU 46. And Texas can recruit DBs good too. But LSU has the best DB coach in college football so they might be able to catch and and surpass that overall number in the near future too. 

1 hour ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

I gotta say. A lot of the articles posted here calling Texas DBU are from like 2014-2016.

And the 2016 even says "give it about two years and LSU will probably be the undisputed number 1 overall depending on how their current DBs play out"

Like others have said its pointless to argue but for anything you show that points to Texas people can show stuff pointing to LSU. But overall I know Texas has more DBs in the NFL than LSU I think it's like Texas 50 LSU 46. And Texas can recruit DBs good too. But LSU has the best DB coach in college football so they might be able to catch and and surpass that overall number in the near future too. 

Wait, you'll only take evidence from 2017 onward after you literally asked for evidence that we came up with the term DBU. How fucking dumb are you?

In other words you're offended that we're calling ourselves DBU even though we've been doing it for decades just because you've been successful for a handful of years. 

That's like the Florida Marlins getting mad at the Yankees.

• Like 3

And we have had our worst 10 years while lsu has had their best 10 years

Yet during that we still have players in the NFL adding to the start/all pro totals

You can claim all the top picks you want but that doesnt make a shit....its about if you can play

Diggs is racking up starts
Phillips is racking up starts
Earl is racking up starts

The younger guys drafted have started and hopefully start more and win awards

Lsu has great players also....
We dont need 10 threads unlike tiger rant about it because we know we have been DBU since we came up with it

Would bama make a stink if penn st had LBU shirts even though bama has put a lot of linebackers in the nfl recently...penn st was called lbu in the 80/90's

13 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

And we have had our worst 10 years while lsu has had their best 10 years

Yet during that we still have players in the NFL adding to the start/all pro totals

You can claim all the top picks you want but that doesnt make a shit....its about if you can play

Diggs is racking up starts
Phillips is racking up starts
Earl is racking up starts

The younger guys drafted have started and hopefully start more and win awards

Lsu has great players also....
We dont need 10 threads unlike tiger rant about it because we know we have been DBU since we came up with it

Would bama make a stink if penn st had LBU shirts even though bama has put a lot of linebackers in the nfl recently...penn st was called lbu in the 80/90's

Well no, Bama doesn't have the insecurities that LSU has. You know, NC's, blue blood, working LSU like Ike Turner on his prostitutes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

There's one from 2011 & two from 2014, and they're talking about Texas already being established as "DBU". Add to that the fact that we've been down for a while at DB, but still equal to or better than LSU, and it's pretty clear. But Tiger fan gonna cry anyway, no doubt.

Edited by wood

man you two fanbases really need to get back together. you still talk about each other so much. hop over to SECrant and peruse the Aggies there. Its always sips this, sips that. the fuck is a sip anyway?
No takebacks 2nd Sunday in October digested corndog boy, y'all are stuck with aggy.

Interesting handle ya got there nancy, trouble wit de P.E. eh?

d786fe4fa4ea64f7edad94f0116e45c7.jpge3dd9e8c4f687296f3cb6f4d1a5d2f94.gif

fddeaa8d2334563957433d02017e9633.gif