So, our defense is garbage

hayden_horn

26 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Our defense isn't the best one we've ever had, but senior Burrows was tossing darts and Sam was playing corn hole.  No disrespect to Sam but Burrows was clearly the better QB.  I think Sam will likely be on a similar level next season, possibly even this season.  In my mind a LOT of the stress on our defense was the inability of the Offense to sustain drives, and for God's sake put up TD's when you find yourself standing at the 5 yard line.

Early on I agree with you, but in the second half we were scoring at will.  Even Orgeron said LSU couldn't stop us.

I struggle to believe he’s just bad now, or anything like Diaz. He fielded 3 good to great defenses in a row from 2015-2017, then all of Charlie’s shitty recruiting came home to roost last year and this year. We have serious personnel deficiencies and holes in our depth chart this year. I think people read all these offseason practice reports and forget that we have serious talent issues on the defense. I mean we only have like 2 good players from the 2016 and 2017 classes in Jones and Shark. It’s really hard to field a good defense with only 2 above average upperclassmen.I don’t count either of Roach or Graham as good and lack of DL talent is a big part of what’s hurting us. Charlie didn’t leave us a single really good upperclassman at DL or CB, and unsurprisingly, those two positions are hurting us the most. Now Orlando/Herman should’ve done more to fix that in the last two years, but the talent issues are there. 
Maybe it’s that Orlando over schemes and paralyzes his players, or maybe he just doesn’t have enough talent and is screwing up by trying to run his full system instead of just simplifying his defense and accepting that a slightly above average defense is good enough this year. 
I still think next year we’ll have more talent and way less holes on defense and our D will be much improved, but the more games I see like LSU, it gets harder and harder to keep thinking that. 

Basically the truth comes down to whether a defense can be good with heavy youth. We have a bunch of sophomores. Have other programs fielded really good defenses with that much youth?

On 9/7/2019 at 10:45 PM, NowThis said:

Burrow will play on Sundays and probably 2 if not all 3 of his WRs. He made insane NFL caliber throws , threads the needle. The passing attack reminded me of Goff a few years ago. Nothing can be done really.

You need either an NFL-caliber secondary or an NFL-caliber pass rush to defeat that kind of an offense with that kind of a QB. If LSU doesn't go undefeated, it'll be precisely because they ran into one of those two things and they'll have an off day.

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Basically the truth comes down to whether a defense can be good with heavy youth. We have a bunch of sophomores. Have other programs fielded really good defenses with that much youth?

We had a senior laden group last year and gave up the following:

45 OU 

38 OSU

42 WV

34 Tech

39 OU

All those teams were pass heavy spread teams and it seems like they all had big 2nd half performances against Orlando's defense. His scheme has been figured out after year 1, and this year it is being exposed.

• Like 1

Just rewatched the game. Defense was pretty damn good in the first and third quarters. Foster, Jones, Brown are hella physical. Green and Boyce are weak right now but I definitely see Green getting better. Sterns has been regressing to the point where he doesn’t make impact plays, but he doesn’t blow assignments either. I like Shark and Ossai a whole lot and our run defense was pretty killer from the DL. They don’t get pass rush by themselves but they are some big nasties in clogging the run lanes. The defense will definitely be better and this was a great tuneup/experience for OSU, Oklahoma, and Baylor. I’m not too worried. Burrow was accurate as fuck.

4 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

seemed like the second half was a mess along with the first drive of every fucking game until either the B12 title game or the Sugar Bowl

Correct. And the defense can't be counted on to make stops at critical points - see WV scoring in like 1 min + 2 pt conversion, Ok State converting a first down late, OU scoring at will in 4th qtr of the RRS, and OU getting a couple of late TDs in the CCG. That trend continued against LSU - very little resistance before halftime and late in the 4th qtr on 3rd and 17. This is not a good trend and Orlando needs to be held accountable for this shitty play.

Wallace is probably the best WR we'll face and they will no doubt score some points, but I can't fathom OSU's freshman QB showing the consistent poise and accuracy that Burrow displayed in the 2nd half.    He's a SR QB that dominated us.    It's a good thing we had LSU and OSU before OU (assuming we can beat OSU).   No need to beat a dead horse but simply a lot of improvement before meet the Sooners in Dallas and OSU will be a great test to see if we're able to make any progress over the next 2 weeks.

I keep saying this and we likely have Defensive analyst on staff but who are they? No excuse to not have just as strong of oversight on defense as we do on offense with Fedora & Coleman (Beaty is likely unofficially helping too). Todd needs help or find a DC who can handle the job. You can't be a shitty recruiter and a shitty teacher.

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I keep saying this and we likely have Defensive analyst on staff but who are they? No excuse to not have just as strong of oversight on defense as we do on offense with Fedora & Coleman (Beaty is likely unofficially helping too). Todd needs help or find a DC who can handle the job. You can't be a shitty recruiter and a shitty teacher.

Some of this should definitely fall on Herman. We don’t seem to have nearly the same support staff on D as O, and the coaching staff spends 7 spots on offense and only 4 on defense. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Goodman said:

No excuse

This is what I keep coming back to when I try to fall for Herman and can't. There is no reason any of this shouldn't be done right-- I don't mean outcomes, a football takes a funny bounce and all that, but in terms of organization and planning, he's not being denied anything. If he doesn't have it, he doesn't want it or think he needs it, and the defensive shortcomings thus result from his judgment. 

All I can say about our defense is that I was very upset when we got Orlando instead of Aranda as DC. Then Orlando had some good performances and I conceded that he would be OK. After Aranda had his ass handed to him by us, I can now for sure say that Orlando will probably be OK since these offenses of today when they are clicking can terrorize even the best DCs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Our defense isn't the best one we've ever had, but senior Burrows was tossing darts and Sam was playing corn hole.  No disrespect to Sam but Burrows was clearly the better QB.  I think Sam will likely be on a similar level next season, possibly even this season.  In my mind a LOT of the stress on our defense was the inability of the Offense to sustain drives, and for God's sake put up TD's when you find yourself standing at the 5 yard line.

Young Green got picked on as the weakest link in the defense, but LSU is pretty good.  Not expecting them to pick on a freshmen was never in the cards.  Their QB made decent coverage look shoddy, and good coverage meant you were still screwed by a great pass.  My biggest regret about the game is that we were unwilling on offense to simply pile up 5-8 yard plays underneath.  Sam throws better underneath than deep IMHO. Insteadwe kept insisting on pressing deep and then punting. Just take what they were giving.  Run their best players on the corners deep and dump underneath and let athleticisim take over.  Biggest play of the game was exactly this sort (after we dug a hole and had to go on 4th due to failed deep ball) for what I think may have been our longest play from scrimmage this season.  IF we keep LSU off the field and playing from behind there simply is no thread titled "So our defense, is garbage."

I might also point out that LSU's first TD drive was assisted by the inability of the referees to note that LSU substituted, and did not allow Texas to sub, resulting in offsides.  It was went ahead on a drive where 2nd and 9 at the 27 to 1st an 5 at our 22. Simply a clear error by the referees gave LSU 4 yards and a free play. We should have taken care of our business and made the referees a non-factor.  But none of Texas' scoring was aided by errant calls.  

Keep the weaker unit off the field and they won't look nearly as bad.  Perhaps instituting LSU's cramp time out and regroup method might have also helped our young unit.  Burrows was the guy who won the game for LSU.  His accuracy made our defense look weak. Again, LSU is pretty good. And sometimes in sports the other guy is pretty damn good too! I think we gave a strong effort and had our garbage defense been awarded the fumble late in the game, words like "garbage" would be "great," instead. So between LSU cramp time outs for the defense and a little zebra help for their offense our boys fell a hair short. Still a TD early from the five perhaps...

I agree with all of this. Burrow was spectacular. Sam is very good, but the differences between them shows the importance of accuracy. Burrows rarely failed to hit receivers in the hands and in stride, even when facing decent pressure. Sam, who was under pressure a lot more, still just kind of gets it in the vicinity and hopes receivers make plays. Our two long tds were like this, with the receiver outplaying the DB. Agree also that Sam throws much better over the middle and shallow. He has trouble hitting deep sideline passes, which is one reason we're not getting a ton out of Collin Johnson right now. However, I'm not sure that Sam ever gets to Burrow's level of pinpoint accuracy. That seems kind of like a god-given talent. Aaron Rodgers has it. Russel Wilson does not. Both are good qbs, but there's a qualitative difference in arm talent. 

• Like 1

While more analytics wouldn't hurt, at his core, Orlando is a gambler.  That's how you zero blitz in a situation where playing a dime with a lb spy for the qb/screen and keeping everything in front of you was the safe (and correct) call.  Herman is also a gambler, but on Offense, he plays the odds correctly.

Scipio's blackjack vs. powerball analogy is dead on.   I expect the defense to improve as the weather cools down for the DL and the young CB grow up, but Orlando's basic nature isn't going to change, unless Herman forces him too.  

36 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

We had a senior laden group last year and gave up the following:

45 OU 

38 OSU

42 WV

34 Tech

39 OU

All those teams were pass heavy spread teams and it seems like they all had big 2nd half performances against Orlando's defense. His scheme has been figured out after year 1, and this year it is being exposed.

by and large, well executed spread offenses beat defenses play in and play out. that's just the nature of things these days. would you consider LSU's defense elite? because they're coach admitted post-game that they couldn't stop our offense. 

can we get better and do we need to? absolutely.

is there a crisis at hand? nope, just you and your ever-gaping billowy asshole.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

While more analytics wouldn't hurt, at his core, Orlando is a gambler.  That's how you zero blitz in a situation where playing a dime with a lb spy for the qb/screen and keeping everything in front of you was the safe (and correct) call.  Herman is also a gambler, but on Offense, he plays the odds correctly.

Scipio's blackjack vs. powerball analogy is dead on.   I expect the defense to improve as the weather cools down for the DL and the young CB grow up, but Orlando's basic nature isn't going to change, unless Herman forces him too.  

That is why we have a Head Coach, Orlando can not be allowed to be that stupid.

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Grambling held la tech’s qb to 100 fewer passing yards and 1 fewer td than us. Whatever our personnel shortcomings may be, they pale in comparison to Gramblings.

We clearly have a scheme issues with our defense, particularly against spread offenses.

Who's their DC? Pls forward his contact information to Herman

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

We got way out of our defensive identity in this game.  Tons of man coverage and blitzing.

Based on the post game and todays presser, clear that our staff did not believe LSU could execute. We need Coach to grow up fast if we want to win at an elite level.

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Grambling held la tech’s qb to 100 fewer passing yards and 1 fewer td than us. Whatever our personnel shortcomings may be, they pale in comparison to Gramblings.

We clearly have a scheme issues with our defense, particularly against spread offenses.

Grambling allowed way more rushing yards. Orlando schemed to stop the run to make them one dimensional and it worked.

LA Tech had 0 points through 3 quarters and our defense forced 3 turnovers that game. They scored 14 points and like 160 of their total yards against  in the 4th when the game was over and we put a bunch of backups in. You can’t seriously be pointing to the LA Tech game as a reason why Orlando is doing a bad job.

This is the kind of fan idiocy that comes with any loss, I suppose.

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Grambling allowed way more rushing yards. Orlando schemed to stop the run to make them one dimensional and it worked.

LA Tech had 0 points through 3 quarters and our defense forced 3 turnovers that game. They scored 14 points and like 160 of their total yards against  in the 4th when the game was over and we put a bunch of backups in. You can’t seriously be pointing to the LA Tech game as a reason why Orlando is doing a bad job.

This is the kind of fan idiocy that comes with any loss, I suppose.

Yeah, the La Tech defense was fine - they looked foolish and overmatched until it was all 2nd/3rd team on our side.

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

I pretty much have concluded that defenses can’t  really stop a spread offense with a good QB, good WRs and a good line.  LSU supposedly had an elite defense.  And we lit them up.  A gimme dropped TD from giving up 45 to us.  

I feel like I’m coming off as more of an Orlando supporter than I really am, but considering LSU’s talent and depth on defense, Aranda (who’s considered one of the best, if not the best, DC in the country) might have done a worse job than Orlando. The defenses were pretty identical in yardage and first downs given up, while Orlando has quite a bit less to work with personnel-wise and our defense forced a TO inside LSU’s 10. 

That's not really meant to be a defense of Orlando, but when people talk about getting a different defensive coordinator, I’m not really sure who would be an upgrade. I don’t think Aranda is any better than TO. He’s just had a better roster every year and faced way less good offenses. 

Venables is the obvious answer, but he’s not attainable. ISU’s DC has done well. He’d probably be my top pick, since he’s shown it in our conference, but I remember Tony Gibson at WVU being a popular candidate a few years back and then his defense sucked shit through a straw for the next two years and he was canned.

Any DC who doesn’t regularly face spread offenses is a huge question mark and probably not a great hire considering the risk. Orlando would be fielding highly rated defenses at Texas if we played in the SEC or Big Ten.

Anyways, I’m sure there are some better DCs out there, but I’m not sure how many there are that are actually available and there’s always a ton of risk with bringing in a new DC when you play the kind of offenses we do. There’s really no other test like it in the country, and it’s hard to know how a DC with even a great resume will perform. 

I’m not sure what it would take, but I’m still a ways away from wanting to see Orlando gone, considering the available options. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I pretty much have concluded that defenses can’t  really stop a spread offense with a good QB, good WRs and a good line.  LSU supposedly had an elite defense.  And we lit them up.  A gimme dropped TD from giving up 45 to us.  

will see LSU at Bama.  LSU doesn't have the elite RB, so Bama won't respect the run, will blitz like mad and have tight coverage. Bama won at LSU 29-0 last year, this year will be closer but Bama will win.  LSU won't score over 28.

38 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Fucking spot on.

We'll put our 3rd strings in against Rice in the 4th and this thread will keep growing.

This doesn't excuse TO's 3rd and 17 call. Maybe he got cocky, in his own head, or he forgot that Gary Johnson/Anthony Wheeler were gone. The more I re-watch that play, the less it makes sense. If we stop them on that 3rd down, we could be talking about much better Orlando is than Aranda, judging by what he did with inferior talent and experience. 

I feel like I’m coming off as more of an Orlando supporter than I really am, but considering LSU’s talent and depth on defense, Aranda (who’s considered one of the best, if not the best, DC in the country) might have done a worse job than Orlando. The defenses were pretty identical in yardage and first downs given up, while Orlando has quite a bit less to work with personnel-wise and our defense forced a TO inside LSU’s 10. 
That's not really meant to be a defense of Orlando, but when people talk about getting a different defensive coordinator, I’m not really sure who would be an upgrade. I don’t think Aranda is any better than TO. He’s just had a better roster every year and faced way less good offenses. 
Venables is the obvious answer, but he’s not attainable. ISU’s DC has done well. He’d probably be my top pick, since he’s shown it in our conference, but I remember Tony Gibson at WVU being a popular candidate a few years back and then his defense sucked shit through a straw for the next two years and he was canned.
Any DC who doesn’t regularly face spread offenses is a huge question mark and probably not a great hire considering the risk. Orlando would be fielding highly rated defenses at Texas if we played in the SEC or Big Ten.
Anyways, I’m sure there are some better DCs out there, but I’m not sure how many there are that are actually available and there’s always a ton of risk with bringing in a new DC when you play the kind of offenses we do. There’s really no other test like it in the country, and it’s hard to know how a DC with even a great resume will perform. 
I’m not sure what it would take, but I’m still a ways away from wanting to see Orlando gone, considering the available options. 

I hope we aren’t moving into an age of college football where the defenses simply can’t stop a well-executed spread/air raid offense with a solid QB, WR’s and OL. It would turn all the games into professional indoor football like games, with 68-67 scores. That would suck.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I hope we aren’t moving into an age of college football where the defenses simply can’t stop a well-executed spread/air raid offense with a solid QB, WR’s and OL. It would turn all the games into professional indoor football like games, with 68-67 scores. That would suck.

i seems like that's exactly where we're headed. The only thing that can consistently stop a good spread is mistakes by the offense (bad passes, drops, penalties).

there's a south austin mom joke in there but i'm too lazy to find it.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m with you on that, but I also look around the country and I don’t see many, if any, teams that are doing it. 

TCU is probably the closest and they gave up 40+ 3 times last year. ISU does pretty well but they also gave up 37+ 3 times last year.  Clemson doesn’t get lit up, but they almost never play true spread teams. The slate of offenses they face in the ACC is a complete joke. 

In the Big 12 especially, it seems like there’s too many potent offenses that test you in different ways to not get lit up at least a few times a year.  

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m with you on that, but I also look around the country and I don’t see many, if any, teams that are doing it. 

TCU is probably the closest and they gave up 40+ 3 times last year. ISU does pretty well but they also gave up 37+ 3 times last year.  Clemson doesn’t get lit up, but they almost never play true spread teams. The slate of offenses they face in the ACC is a complete joke. 

In the Big 12 especially, it seems like there’s too many potent offenses that test you in different ways to not get lit up at least a few times a year.  

Solution: make the football field 10% narrower.

46 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Like many LSU fans, put me in the Aranda is also overrated column

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Orlando schemed to stop the run to make them one dimensional and it worked.

Hahahahaha.  This might be the funniest thing I've seen on this board in quite some time.  LSU had a 50% success rate when rushing the ball, which far exceeds the national average.  They went pass heavy not because they couldn't run the ball, but because they were carving up our secondary with ease and averaging 10.4 YPA.  So I guess if it was Orlando's plan to lure them away from running the ball by allowing them to destroy our secondary, then yeah that plan worked like a fucking charm.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

Regarding the 3rd and 17 play, the call is the call and almost paid off.  Watching it over in slow motion I like the concept actually.  Ossai and Graham get upfield and force Burrow forward into the path of McCulloch, who does a decent job of absorbing the RB and resets to dive at Burrow.  Chris Brown is spying and would have secured Burrow had he elected to make a run for it.  Where it all went wrong for the defense is such a small margin it's frustrating how close we got.  Coburn decides to spin around in front of the LG and had he held ground facing forward most likely he gets his arms or body around to make a difficult throw even harder for Burrow.  Sterns then can't keep up with the faster WR, as he's either hiding an injury or somehow got slower.  

Hindsight is 20/20 but the difference between success and a 60 yard td was Coburn making a useless spin rather than holding ground or driving his legs facing the play... Burrow made the throw jumping up and into his LG after all, and Jeff McC was inches away from pulling at his throwing arm.  So close yet so far away.

Edited by squeegeedegg
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Hahahahaha.  This might be the funniest thing I've seen on this board in quite some time.  LSU had a 50% success rate when rushing the ball, which far exceeds the national average.  They went pass heavy not because they couldn't run the ball, but because they were carving up our secondary with ease and averaging 10.4 YPA.  So I guess if it was Orlando's plan to lure them away from running the ball by allowing them to destroy our secondary, then yeah that plan worked like a fucking charm.  

Well then you clearly haven’t been going back and reading your own posts. 

I was talking about LA Tech, you dumbfuck. Lol

Edit: it really is a shame we haven’t fatwa’d this shitstain of a poster. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I haven't gone back and rewatched the game yet, but from what I saw the first time, LSU in general and Burrow in particular, are very, very good.  If they continue to play at that level, lots of people are going to have a hard time slowing them down.

That being said, the shouldn't be any question which of the two teams had the best DBs.  Ours got exposed.  Green and Boyce were just bad.  Even Sterns was not able to play up to his usual level.  

I'm starting to really like our linebackers.  Ossai is special, or at least has a chance to be special.

Pretty good run plugging on Saturday, too.  Roach was good, and I have to tell you, every team should have a 350-pound man named "Sweat" manning the middle.

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well then you clearly haven’t been going back and reading your own posts. 

I was talking about LA Tech, you dumbfuck. Lol

Edit: it really is a shame we haven’t fatwa’d this shitstain of a poster. 

Arguing that Aranda did a worse job than Orlando on Saturday is just laughably stupid.  LSU performed far better than Texas offensively on Saturday (2+ YPP margin and 8% success rate margin), and I assume you believe Texas has a top 10 offense.  LSU may not have a better offensive performance the entire season than they did on Saturday.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Regarding the 3rd and 17 play, the call is the call and almost paid off.  Watching it over in slow motion I like the concept actually.  Ossai and Graham get upfield and force Burrow forward into the path of McCulloch, who does a decent job of absorbing the RB and resets to dive at Burrow.  Chris Brown is spying and would have secured Burrow had he elected to make a run for it.  Where it all went wrong for the defense is such a small margin it's frustrating how close we got.  Coburn decides to spin around in front of the LG and had he held ground facing forward most likely he gets his arms or body around to make a difficult throw even harder for Burrow.  Sterns then can't keep up with the faster WR, as he's either hiding an injury or somehow got slower.  

Hindsight is 20/20 but the difference between success and a 60 yard td was Coburn making a useless spin rather than holding ground or driving his legs facing the play... Burrow made the throw jumping up and into his LG after all, and Jeff McC was inches away from pulling at his throwing arm.  So close yet so far a

I didn’t get to that level of detail, but I noticed the same thing about Brown.  He was just a bit slow to recognize it wasn’t a screen and rush.  If he had been a step faster he would have drilled Burrow.

37 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Arguing that Aranda did a worse job than Orlando on Saturday is just laughably stupid.  LSU performed far better than Texas offensively on Saturday (2+ YPP margin and 8% success rate margin), and I assume you believe Texas has a top 10 offense.  LSU may not have a better offensive performance the entire season than they did on Saturday.  

I don't remember Burrow missing three wide open receivers for TDs or at the very least major yardage like Sam did on Saturday. To me the difference was our offense missing on some sure things and Burrow making a very good pass with one of our guys draped all over him. I am not defending Orlando's bad call on 3rd and 17 but I think that Aranda may have done a worse job because he had better talent to work with on his side.

1340561699175_4173890.png

Edited by DanTheHorn

38 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

As always, basic comprehension eludes you.

I didn’t say the Texas defense outperformed the LSU defense. I said when you factor in talent/depth, their performances as coordinators weren’t that different. Your raw stats fail to factor in talent differences and your sad, disingenuous attempt at framing UT as a better, top 10 offense while ignoring that your beloved S&P+ has LSU’s offense at #2 in the country just shows you’re full of shit.

LSU has four recruiting classes the quality of Texas’ last two. Their two starting CBs are better than any on Texas’ roster. LSU’s talent/depth advantage on defense is significant compared to Texas. Aranda could leave Fulton on an island all night and not pay dearly, like we would with Green, and he had many other advantages. 

Anyways, back on ignore. Never should’ve taken you off but I figured you had something stupid to say after going on a negging spree of all my posts, and you didn’t disappoint with mixing up LA Tech and LSU.

• Like 2

Both teams allowed 50+ yards per drive which is beyond torching a D

both teams mostly stuffed each other in the red zone

Yards per play is less truthful IMO and tends to say more about how you gained your yards (big plays or not) than how consistently you gained them.

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

As always, basic comprehension eludes you.

I didn’t say the Texas defense outperformed the LSU defense. I said when you factor in talent/depth, their performances as coordinators weren’t that different. Your raw stats fail to factor in talent differences and your sad, disingenuous attempt at framing UT as a better, top 10 offense while ignoring that your beloved S&P+ has LSU’s offense at #2 in the country just shows you’re full of shit.

LSU has four recruiting classes the quality of Texas’ last two. Their two starting CBs are better than any on Texas’ roster. LSU’s talent/depth advantage on defense is significant compared to Texas. Aranda could leave Fulton on an island all night and not pay dearly, like we would with Green, and he had many other advantages. 

Anyways, back on ignore. Never should’ve taken you off but I figured you had something stupid to say after going on a negging spree of all my posts, and you didn’t disappoint with mixing up LA Tech and LSU.

I'm not saying that was your argument, retard.  I agree that LSU is a top five offense, as SP+ has them rated.  But if you assume that Texas has a top 10 offense, then LSU's defense performance, while not great, wasn't that bad in viewed in the context of the quality of opponent they were facing.  They yielded a success rate 5% above national average and an IsoPPP about equal to average.  Even when you account for LSU being better offensively, it's clear that Texas performed very poorly - probably about what you would expect a mediocre - 40th-60th rated - defense to perform (and this might be too generous to Texas).  Indeed, LSU did not perform nearly as well offensively in week 1 as they did against Texas, which is pretty embarrassing even when accounting for garbage time and LSU being vanilla in week 1.

In the other thread you couldn't stop bleating about Texas being underrated by SP+ coming into this season and how we wouldn't miss some of the players leaving on defense - but now you appear to want it both ways.  Is it now your opinion that coming into this season Texas was around the top 25-35 in quality (top 15-20 offense paired with a mediocre defense) and not a top 10-15 team?  

Edited by Fozzz