So, our defense is garbage

hayden_horn

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

We should, at minimum take away the DBU shirt from Sterns and Boyce. Holy hell it was painful to watch them both get torched all night long. 

The all out blitz on 3rd and 17 that STILL COULD NOT GET TO BURROW ON SLOW DEVELOPING ROUTES was all on Orlando. That was fucking amazingly bad play calling. 

Wearing those DBU t’s was like telling your pitcher that he has a no-hitter going!

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What scares me...what if LSU isn’t that great. What if we just made them look great?

The only thing that we probably made them look better than what they are is 1 on 1 situations. I think we will get better in that aspect but LSU will face corners that’ll cover and contest a lot better than we did. 

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

This gay ass defense is going to cost us multiple games this year. Looks as bad as those Vance Bedford coached teams

That’s a moronic statement. I didn’t see one coverage bust watching the game live. Run gap assignments were solid. Our young db’s just need to work on their ball skills and let their instincts grow with experience.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That LSU team would have beaten one of those teams by four touchdowns.

Our defense last season was about as bad as Charlie's worst defense in 2016 when the offense moved to the inverted veer and the defense struggled to adapt to the different type of practicing that offense and new OC demanded.  

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Our defense last season was about as bad as Charlie's worst defense in 2016 when the offense moved to the inverted veer and the defense struggled to adapt to the different type of practicing that offense and new OC demanded.  

Our last year’s defense would not surrender 50 to Cal, 49 to OSU, and 47 to a 4-8 ND.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So are they if we're comparing defenses. Theirs looks about like ours.

This is correct. Someone take Orlando’s autoblitz button away from him and give Sam the ball back after 3rd and 17, and Sam finishes the game with better stats than Burrow. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

22 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

This gay ass defense is going to cost us multiple games this year. Looks as bad as those Vance Bedford coached teams

Lol not even close. The tackling was there. The assignments were there. CBs just got beat all night. Decent pass rush, but draw zero holding calls and when they need time they know they can get time.

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

This is correct. Someone take Orlando’s autoblitz button away from him and give Sam the ball back after 3rd and 17, and Sam finishes the game with better stats. 

Third and 17 was obviously the back breaker. Make them punt there and we're probably talking about a win today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Nope. Sam can't get him the ball where it needs to be. I don't care what kind of hops a 5'10" CB has, there are places in the air that a 6'6" Johnson can get to that the short-stuff CB can't, and that's where Ehlinger needs to put the ball. 

I knew you would come here to defend the Strong recruit. CJ is not a first round pick or even an elite WR no matter how much you like Strong. 

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Third and 17 was obviously the back breaker. Make them punt there and we're probably talking about a win today.

That or, you know, like maybe being able to come away with some points one of two times the offense has it first and goal inside the 10 yard line.

6 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

I need someone like sushihorn to explain to me why 3-3-5 is better than the good ole 4-2-5

I don’t really think either system is clearly superior. The NFL has about an even split between 3 man and 4 man front defenses. I probably prefer 3-3-5 in college due to all the hyper spreads. It’s just too easy for Big 12 offenses to negate most 4 man rushes and then it’s hard to disguise assignments (unless you have a sweaty face and a pregnant belly, but he ain’t coming to UT to be our DC) so QBs can pick you apart. The upside to the 3-3-5 is you can usually play the run with a light box to help in pass pro, disguise assignments better, and get some free blitzers on certain plays (Aranda had more success with this than Orlando but both did a few times). However, Orlando is very far from maximizing some of those advantages, as Bobby Batronic points out belowZ

Overall, the main reason is Charlie didn’t leave this team with personnel to run a 4 man front and we still don’t have it. 4 man front will only work if you have a great DL. Charlie didn’t leave us with that and we haven’t recruited it yet. The state of Texas hasn’t exactly been putting out a ton of great DL in the last few years, until this 2020 class. We are recruiting like gangbusters on the DL in 2020 and looks like we will in 2021, so a 4 man front, whether implemented by Orlando or someone else, could become more viable in the future.

5 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Orlando spends too damn much time trying to show how smart he is on a whiteboard. His odd looks, retardedly late, delayed blitzes and general junk defense is getting stale IMOHO. His two minute defense has been pure shit for his entire tenure in Austin, and he’d be pretty loathed if he had not stumbled into the lightening package.

We are also absolutely terrible at tipping our blitzes by being unable to hold our water pre snap. 

Yep. He fell into this trap during the horrid OSU, WVU, TTU stretch and he did it again yesterday. 

5 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The tight front doesn’t do DL a lot of favors in the playmaking department. If they make a play then great. Their job is to occupy 5 with 3 and let the svelte guys behind them wreak havoc and clean up the edges.  

While true, if your 3 can occupy 5, then to does a ton of favor for the blitzing LBs and safeties (Bowser and Taylor both had 8.5 sacks in 2016 and Taylor Roberts, Stewart and Bowser has a combined 28 in 2015). Problem is, our 3 barely take up 4. So that 4th and 5th rusher Orlando brings is easily swallowed up. If our 3 could take up 5, then the D would have to choose between better accounting for the 4th guy or giving a dangerous DE a 1 on 1. Right now, they don’t have to choose.

5 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Poona Ford and Charles Omenihu weren’t bad. If Chris Whaley is on the list, these guys belong there too.

Our defense was really damn good in 2017 when we had Poona (and a decent3rd year CO) ans more  upper class talent on D. If we play at our 2017 level for the last 16 games, then no one would be complaining about Orlando. 

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What scares me...what if LSU isn’t that great. What if we just made them look great?

Yeah. I have that same thought. I don’t think it’s true because Burrow seems legit. I saw some stat that he’s like 72% completion for 1,900 yards and 19/2 in his last 6 or 7 games for LSU. Granted, the competition in those games wasn’t great, but that’s still damn good.

I think LSU’s O is actually pretty good, but if they revert back to their early season O from 2018 against other teams, we could be in serious trouble. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

I'm not gonna lie, I'm fucking disappointed. 

But I'm not blaming this all on the defense.

Yes, we lost the fourth quarter, again, and let them score half their fucking points there.

We also lost the second quarter.

We got very little pressure on the QB.

We let receivers run wide open, multiple times.

We missed tackles, repeatedly, after the wide open WRs caught those passes.

Most notably... third and 17, at a crucial point in the game... not only did we not get the stop, we gave up a TD. Third and 17, we let a guy get catch one at the sticks

All that, that's on the D.

But the O left two TDs on the field.

One was because the RB couldn't catch that pass in the EZ, right in his hands, wide fucking open, no defender within five yards, one fourth down.

And followed that series by insisting on trying a replay of the Sugar Bowl and letting Sam punch them in the mouth, but he didn't.

Three crucial plays were the ultimate difference in the game.

Their D made two goalline stands.

They were ready, and we weren't.

Looks like Les left them more than Charlie left us, and Sling Blade out-coached MensaTom.

The takeaway, for me, is that, as bad as we looked, we lost by only seven (and I'm pretty fucking grateful that I stuck with my decision not to put buckage on the game unless the line got 7.5), and we have still got the opportunity to go 1-0 eleven more times and (possibly) squeak into the final four. Yeah, we hafta get better on D, and we need an RB who can take the pressure off of our QB and be a threat to take it to the house from anywhere. Next week won't tell us much, but OSU will tell us if we can get pressure on the QB and cover receivers at the same time. Remains to be seen.

4 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

The only thing that we probably made them look better than what they are is 1 on 1 situations. I think we will get better in that aspect but LSU will face corners that’ll cover and contest a lot better than we did. 

Our CB's are not good but they will face DL that are much better than ours as well as even fronts that will get pressure.  that will be the difference.

14 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Anyone know the breakdown of Texas analysts on offense vs defense? We brought in Fedora and Beatty (at least I think we brought Beatty in) who are both offensive guys. Herman and Orlando could use some outside input from experienced defensive coaches.

It’s interesting, I saw Fedora in Herman's ear multiple times in the first half.  

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok look if Ingram catches that pass we are kicking off and LSU is not pinned deep. It is not like the exact same scenario would have unfolded and there is a world where we got both TDs.

The fact that it's not very likely does nothing to guarantee we don't get the ball back right away. KOs can be fumbled, run back short. Even if they start at the 25 (did they even run one back?) there's no guarantee we don't intercept a pass or strip the ball and set up the O on a short field.

The O definitely left at least 7 points on the field, and going eight consecutive snaps at goal-to-go without scoring certainly had a psychological effect as well.

26 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

If we don't get that roughing the passer call we win this ballgame despite all our coverage lapses and first quarter fourth down fuckery.  

That’s quite the leap. We stopped them once the entire 2nd half. It would’ve been like 3rd and 8. It’s far more likely they convert 3rd and 8 than we stop them in that scenario.

36 minutes ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

It's a sobering fact that after two games, our total D rank is 120 with almost a thousand yards given up. While I am positive that our D is better than this statistic, the first two games prove the impact of replacing almost your entire D

Makes you wonder how much better called/timed blitzes could affect that statistic. Having green DL/LB/CB takes time to adjust to as well. The progress (or lack thereof) that we see from this year's defense will tell us everything we need to know about TO.

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s quite the leap. We stopped them once the entire 2nd half. It would’ve been like 3rd and 8. It’s far more likely they convert 3rd and 8 than we stop them in that scenario.

From Section 27, the stadium was loud as hell and it looked like we had just made a huge play.  Without that call, the crowd would have been even louder for the next series of plays.  That was a momentum swing, no doubt. 

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

From Section 27, the stadium was loud as hell and it looked like we had just made a huge play.  Without that call, the crowd would have been even louder for the next series of plays.  That was a momentum swing, no doubt. 

Per Tom Herman, there's no such thing as momentum swings. There are only different levels of energy:  Energy Levels

9 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Lol. We made a big play to force a sack and a 3rd and 17 too. None of what you say makes it likely we would’ve stopped them. 

According to Scipio, and he seems fairly prescient on these sorts of things, Orlando's scheme requires players to know a bunch of different calls for different looks on defense.  And learning this system strips players of instinct and fundamental play.

In that sense, he's much like Diaz, too smart for his own good.  And, like Diaz, the system functioned better with players that didn't "grow up" in his system and still had remnants of fundamental position play and instinct.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

According to Scipio, and he seems fairly prescient on these sorts of things, Orlando's scheme requires players to know a bunch of different calls for different looks on defense.  And learning this system strips players of instinct and fundamental play.

In that sense, he's much like Diaz, too smart for his own good.  And, like Diaz, the system functioned better with players that didn't "grow up" in his system and still had remnants of fundamental position play and instinct.

Interesting parallel. Except _iaz's issue was run defense.