Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat 2,000 of something

Beau Vine

Saw in the BC Texas Pregamer that Rice is doing a great throwback poster for the game to commemorate the moon landing and John Churchill Chase's amazing Texas - Rice Spy vs. Spy style program covers from the 50s and 60s (which are below the spoiler and you should definitely take a look at).

EAHuTboW4AMdcby?format=jpg&name=900x900

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-10-07-02-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-10-07-10-AM.pn

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 5

IT

Texas is taking this contest seriously. It's a game they should be able to win playing nickel but the intent is to match Rice's base offense with UT's heavy look. You'll see more linebackers than safeties. While this isn't great preparation for Oklahoma State and what ailed the defense versus LSU, it is great experience for the linebackers.

Experience is the name of the game. Freshman that are expected to play this year will play a lot on Saturday. Collin Johnson is hurt and might not play (I have him as doubtful). Then play Malcolm Epps, but really play Marcus Washington. That's not only an example of the mindset heading into the game but also they're high on Washington and want to get him experience.

With the defensive backs being banged up this week does come at a fortunate time. The bad news is, the team won't be facing Rice the following week. We expect both BJ Foster and DeMarvion Overshown to miss the next few games. After Rice you have Oklahoma State, then the merciful bye, then West Virginia, then...you know who. We'll be monitoring those timetables closely.

Safety is a very deep position and the expectation is to get some younger guys experience this week, though the game plan is anything but safety reliant. I expect a heavy dose of four-man fronts and Herman himself said they'd play four linebackers to match personnel. If they hold to that, the four-man front will be Malcolm Roach, Moro Ojomo, Keondre Coburn, and Ta'Quon Graham. With Rice head coach Mike Bloomgren hailing from Stanford you already get an idea of what kind of sets they run.

If your plan is similar to mine -- to tailgate your heart out then sober up during the game -- remember this could be a short one. This is viewed similar to K- State, yet as an even shorter fistfight in a phone booth. We're not going to see 150 combined plays.

This should be a good game to evaluate linebacker physicality, and maybe athleticism, but we won't learn much about them in coverage, not anything good anyways. We'll see four linebackers at times. That would put Ossai at b-backer, Mitchell and Dele in the middle, and McCulloch at f-backer.

By now you're doing the math and understanding how UT is legitimately game-planning Rice. These numbers, assuming they hold into game day, would leave three defensive backs. Brandon Jones is the true safety (I think they'll rest Sterns). Chris Brown is likely the fourth defensive back this week, aside Jones and the corners. Josh Thompson repped at corner this week but he's been in a green non-contact jersey and I'm not sure he'll play. With Foster out for a few weeks they'll definitely need Thompson healthy versus Oklahoma State.

I failed to ask about Brandon Jones remaining at nickel long-term but this probably wasn't the week to find out anyways.

Jalen Green is still their guy at corner. He's a legit stud in the making and people who watch football understand even the best corners take their lumps in games. This was true well before the spread era, it's really true now. If you invoke Derek Stingley here let me remind you only fools and liars make their arguments using outliers and let's not be either.

The other corner remains a work in progress. I expect to see Kenyatta Watson get some reps this weekend. The experience of being on the field and playing game speed won't hurt, but we won't learn anything good this weekend.

On offense, the scoreboard didn't read what they wanted it to versus LSU but confidence exiting that game is sky high. They want early points and then to empty the bench.

The big question is at running back. I think Keaontay Ingram will get the start but have a very short day. Despite what Herman has said about Daniel Young returning, I'm not so sure he'll play. That leaves Roschon Johnson and David Gbenda as volume carry alternatives. I asked about "walk-ons" at the position and heard back, "I could see Ramirez getting snaps." The source went on to say he's on scholarship but you get the gist.

I mentioned they'll likely try and rest Collin Johnson. Elsewhere on offense, they want to see more of the young offensive linemen. This could be one where we see guys who they intend to red-shirt. That would go towards keeping them engaged and give them tape to learn from.

The elephant in the room is defense. While I defer to Ian and Scipio on schematics because at any given point at least one of them is better articulating what I'm thinking, I'd be remiss if I didn't add what my sources say to the record. Defensive players work on the fundamentals of their respective positions all the time. The staff preaches technique at every corner, no pun intended? They're constantly coaching technique and will stop practice when they see it breaking down in individual play. Corners worked on finding the ball nonstop this weekend. This may open the staff up to new critiques but so be it.

This is a great week for all to prove they understand fundamentals because that's all it should take to defeat this Rice team.

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

Texas is taking this contest seriously. It's a game they should be able to win playing nickel but the intent is to match Rice's base offense with UT's heavy look. You'll see more linebackers than safeties. While this isn't great preparation for Oklahoma State and what ailed the defense versus LSU, it is great experience for the linebackers.

Experience is the name of the game. Freshman that are expected to play this year will play a lot on Saturday. Collin Johnson is hurt and might not play (I have him as doubtful). Then play Malcolm Epps, but really play Marcus Washington. That's not only an example of the mindset heading into the game but also they're high on Washington and want to get him experience.

With the defensive backs being banged up this week does come at a fortunate time. The bad news is, the team won't be facing Rice the following week. We expect both BJ Foster and DeMarvion Overshown to miss the next few games. After Rice you have Oklahoma State, then the merciful bye, then West Virginia, then...you know who. We'll be monitoring those timetables closely.

Safety is a very deep position and the expectation is to get some younger guys experience this week, though the game plan is anything but safety reliant. I expect a heavy dose of four-man fronts and Herman himself said they'd play four linebackers to match personnel. If they hold to that, the four-man front will be Malcolm Roach, Moro Ojomo, Keondre Coburn, and Ta'Quon Graham. With Rice head coach Mike Bloomgren hailing from Stanford you already get an idea of what kind of sets they run.

If your plan is similar to mine -- to tailgate your heart out then sober up during the game -- remember this could be a short one. This is viewed similar to K- State, yet as an even shorter fistfight in a phone booth. We're not going to see 150 combined plays.

This should be a good game to evaluate linebacker physicality, and maybe athleticism, but we won't learn much about them in coverage, not anything good anyways. We'll see four linebackers at times. That would put Ossai at b-backer, Mitchell and Dele in the middle, and McCulloch at f-backer.

By now you're doing the math and understanding how UT is legitimately game-planning Rice. These numbers, assuming they hold into game day, would leave three defensive backs. Brandon Jones is the true safety (I think they'll rest Sterns). Chris Brown is likely the fourth defensive back this week, aside Jones and the corners. Josh Thompson repped at corner this week but he's been in a green non-contact jersey and I'm not sure he'll play. With Foster out for a few weeks they'll definitely need Thompson healthy versus Oklahoma State.

I failed to ask about Brandon Jones remaining at nickel long-term but this probably wasn't the week to find out anyways.

Jalen Green is still their guy at corner. He's a legit stud in the making and people who watch football understand even the best corners take their lumps in games. This was true well before the spread era, it's really true now. If you invoke Derek Stingley here let me remind you only fools and liars make their arguments using outliers and let's not be either.

The other corner remains a work in progress. I expect to see Kenyatta Watson get some reps this weekend. The experience of being on the field and playing game speed won't hurt, but we won't learn anything good this weekend.

On offense, the scoreboard didn't read what they wanted it to versus LSU but confidence exiting that game is sky high. They want early points and then to empty the bench.

The big question is at running back. I think Keaontay Ingram will get the start but have a very short day. Despite what Herman has said about Daniel Young returning, I'm not so sure he'll play. That leaves Roschon Johnson and David Gbenda as volume carry alternatives. I asked about "walk-ons" at the position and heard back, "I could see Ramirez getting snaps." The source went on to say he's on scholarship but you get the gist.

I mentioned they'll likely try and rest Collin Johnson. Elsewhere on offense, they want to see more of the young offensive linemen. This could be one where we see guys who they intend to red-shirt. That would go towards keeping them engaged and give them tape to learn from.

The elephant in the room is defense. While I defer to Ian and Scipio on schematics because at any given point at least one of them is better articulating what I'm thinking, I'd be remiss if I didn't add what my sources say to the record. Defensive players work on the fundamentals of their respective positions all the time. The staff preaches technique at every corner, no pun intended? They're constantly coaching technique and will stop practice when they see it breaking down in individual play. Corners worked on finding the ball nonstop this weekend. This may open the staff up to new critiques but so be it.

This is a great week for all to prove they understand fundamentals because that's all it should take to defeat this Rice team.

anyways...