Joseph Ossai

LTtxfan

37 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Someone on that Gameday Final show said he’ll be a first rounder. I hope it’s true, but I choose to be skeptical considering the source.

Yeah, exactly. I take it all with a grain of salt. He legitimately deserves it. He's shown since the Sugar Bowl he's gonna be a monster in the league. He oozes confidence and talent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whatever said:

Someone on that Gameday Final show said he’ll be a first rounder. I hope it’s true, but I choose to be skeptical considering the source.

Jesse Palmer. But yeah, Joseph turned a lot of heads on Halloween night, and at this point, if he keeps dominating games like this i wouldn't put it past him. He has everyone's attention now, and what he does between now and his pro day could be the difference in millions of dollars. I know i won't be doubting him, or the idea of him continuing to dominate. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Just a reminder that we had him dropping into coverage last year instead of playing on the line.

Naivar didn't 

Texas Longhorns Home

Defensive plan for Alamo Bowl propels Joseph Ossai to MVP effort

ByJEFF HOWE Jan 3, 2:21 AM

SAN ANTONIO — When Texas beat Oklahoma State at home on Sept. 21, 36-30, Joseph Ossai couldn’t have figured he’d need to wait more than three months to get his next sack. Indeed, the 38-10 win over the Longhorns picked up No. 11-ranked Utah on New Year’s Eve saw Ossai get into the sack column, but he didn’t stop with just one takedown of quarterback Tyler Huntley.

Not since Alex Okafor bullied Oregon State to the tune of 4.5 sacks in the 2012 Alamo Bowl has a Texas defensive player dominated a bowl game the way Ossai did. Ossai’s three sacks and five tackles for loss highlighted a performance that earned him Defensive MVP honors for the game.

Ossai finished the game with a team-high nine tackles, marking the second bowl game in a row to lead the Texas defense in tackles (eight stops in last season’s Sugar Bowl win over Georgia led all Longhorns). One of Ossai’s tackles for loss came at one of the game’s most critical moments when he got to Huntley first, dropping him for negative yards on fourth-and-1 from the Utah 45-yard early in the third quarter.

Three plays later, quarterback Sam Ehlinger hit running back Keaontay Ingram for an 11-yard touchdown on a wheel route to extend the Texas lead to three scores, 17-0, with 10:30 remaining in the quarter.

The Alamo Bowl ended a tremendous sophomore season for the linebacker on a high note. In 13 games, Ossai recorded 90 tackles, 13.5 sacks, five sacks, two interceptions, nine quarterback hurries, one forced fumble and a blocked kick in his second season in the program.

Perhaps more than any other defensive player on the field, Ossai benefited the most from the change in coordinators for the bowl game. When head coach Tom Herman relieved Todd Orlando of his duties on Dec. 1, safeties coach Craig Naivar was tabbed to fill Orlando’s role on an interim basis as the defensive coordinator with analyst Jeremiah George getting elevated to linebackers coach for the Utah game.

WHEN YOU SUPPORT
OUR ADVERTISERS,
YOU SUPPORT US.
THANK YOU!

Naivar’s game plan to counter Utah’s reliance on multiple tight ends and heavy personnel groupings included playing Ossai on the edge and around the line of scrimmage for nearly the entire night. With Ossai leading the charge, the Longhorns held the Utah offense to season-low marks for points, total yards (254), yards per play (4.2) and first downs (15) while keeping record-setting running back Zack Moss under wraps to the tune of his second-worst rushing yardage performance of the season (57 yards, 3.6 yards per rushing attempt).

20 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yeah, exactly. I take it all with a grain of salt. He legitimately deserves it. He's shown since the Sugar Bowl he's gonna be a monster in the league. He oozes confidence and talent. 

He’ll absolutely crush the combine and they’ll project him as a guy who can add 20 lean pounds easily....

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

He’ll absolutely crush the combine and they’ll project him as a guy who can add 20 lean pounds easily....

I agree with this completely. He's going to soar up the draft boards after his combine performance. We're gonna miss him when he's gone, and I don't think people will realize how much. He can literally do it all. He's been awesome all 3 years we've had him. 

Dude is an absolute freak. And to think he almost went to aggy. Gross. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

I agree with this completely. He's going to soar up the draft boards after his combine performance. We're gonna miss him when he's gone, and I don't think people will realize how much. He can literally do it all. He's been awesome all 3 years we've had him. 

I didn't realize this was his third year. Thanks Todd!

12 hours ago, Mikey4 said:
12 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You mean multimillionaire Todd Orlando?

otpsv7y7b9901.png?auto=webp&s=5b2e66f72e

• Haha 2

Couldn’t be happier to see this level of success for Ossai. The odds are pretty good that he goes in the first round of the Draft. A lot of pundits are raving about him and that will only increase as they dive in more. Have to remember this is his first year playing EDGE full time (Fuck you, Todd Orlando!)

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Mikey4 said:
15 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Read more  

Seriously. Technically this year doesn't have to count, but yeah, thanks, asshole. Imagine what he would have been doing the entire time. He's so gifted he still fucked dudes up in the wrong position. 

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Couldn’t be happier to see this level of success for Ossai. The odds are pretty good that he goes in the first round of the Draft. A lot of pundits are raving about him and that will only increase as they dive in more. Have to remember this is his first year playing EDGE full time (Fuck you, Todd Orlando!)

LOlz at the need to highlight him in the gamefilm

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/10/texas-longhorns-nfl-draft-big-board-todd-mcshay/

Todd McShay

No. 32- Joseph Ossai, Jack 

Grade: 88

“Ossai does a little bit of everything, and does it all well. In seven games, the hybrid linebacker has 49 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss, 4.0 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 2 passes broken up. He can play off the ball, can cover as an overhang and can blitz. He makes plays when he is turned loose upfield, thanks to good closing burst. And Ossai is instinctive as a pass-rusher and disciplined as a run defender.”

• 2 weeks later...

AJ2I8512.jpg?width=1128&height=635&mode=

24 NOV SCOUTING NOTES: JOSEPH OSSAI, EDGE, TEXAS 

True Junior | 6’4” 253 lbs | Conroe, Texas

A VERSATILE EDGE WITH A NICE PASS RUSH SKILL SET AND PLUS ELITE ATHLETICISM WHO NEEDS TO BECOME STRONGER

Overview:

Joseph Ossai A third-year linebacker and defensive end who has played in 27 career games and has 15 starts. The former four-star recruit is coming off a breakthrough season with 13 tackles for loss and five sacks displaying his versatility. He primarily plays linebacker in Texas’s defensive scheme and plays defensive end in sub packages on passing downs. Ossai has an excellent skill set and athleticism that makes him an exciting prospect.

Strengths:

-Elite height with good size and length for the position.
-Outstanding athletic ability displaying agility, balance, quickness, and flexibility.
-Has the ability to bend around the corner as a pass rusher that translates to the next level.
-Good bull rush using his play strength to move defenders and push the pocket.
-Excellent use of hands, violent, and always has great placement to move defenders.
-Has a good pass rush plan, does a great job of attacking the lineman, and adjusting his pass rush skills on the fly.
-Versatile skill set can play linebacker and then defensive end on sub-packages.
-Fundamental tackler in space able to read and react and finish at the ball carrier.

Areas to improve:

-Has to be consistent at setting the edge as a defensive end against the run. He likes to shoot gaps, which can lead to big holes.
-Struggles in coverage as linebacker can get lost in zone coverage and miss assignments.
-Can be moved easily by higher-level offensive tackles and has to become stronger to play consistently at the defensive end position.

Injury concerns:

N/A

Projection:

Ossai has a special skill set that makes him an intriguing prospect. His athleticism is top-notch, and he has the speed to play in space as a linebacker. He displays the bend you love to see from a pass rusher with a pass rush plan that helps him get to the quarterback. However, his struggles in coverage are noticeable in his film, and it’s why he projects more to a pass rusher at the next level instead of in space linebacker. If he can get stronger and learn to be more consistent at setting the edge, he can develop into a Day 1 draft pick.

What to watch in 2020:

Ossai will improve his ability to set the edge and display more skills as a defensive end and edge rusher. It will also be interesting to see if he can become better at playing in zone coverage and better understand where he needs to be in the scheme.

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Dude is a monster. He will be yet another incredible player at the next level. Whoever gets him will be beyond happy. Hope he goes to either Tampa (obviously), Baltimore, Seattle, or NO

He’s perfect for Seattle who’s both struggled in pass rush and has an aging LB group (though they are probably still a top 5 group).  

• Hook 'Em 1

Leads the turnaround in his hometown team of Houston?

I could pull for that.

No way he lasts until the 38th round when the Texans finally get a pick...

Edited by slorch

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, staboner said:

man that would be great in seattle. then we can has 3 horns on the starting D

but we can't has any conference ships doe. 

this sure has a familiar feeling

10.gif

We got so royally screwed that year. #7 in the country heading into the Big 12 tournament, and we make it all the way to Finals before losing to Kansas. What does that get us? A fucking four seed. Not only that, but the toughest four seed, getting sent to fucking California with Arizona in the second round. Meanwhile fucking Florida, outside the top 10, gets crushed by Kentucky in the SEC tournament and their reward is a cushy No. 2 seed in the SE region.

And the cherry on top was the refs screwing us out of a win late, because god forbid ESPN's precious media darling Derrick Williams exit the tournament early. Such fucking bullshit.

Edited by satyanash
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

A first round draft pick would be a nice thing for our program. Here is hoping.

He's definitely a favorite among the twitter draft guys.  Pretty much a mid-first in all the mocks I'm seeing now.  Hopefully he tests well and confirms their evaluations.

Assuming Cosmi doesn't have T-Rex arms we might actually see two first round picks.