Texas @ WVU will be at 2:30 Central on 10/5 - ABC

Machinator

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Thanks for posting. Couple thoughts.

• Really wish we would move Foster back to Joker. He is good at Nickle, but I think he is so much more impactful around the LOS/blitzing.
  • I'm not a break down the film kind of person, but to me Dele has really struggled all year and I don't think he's "ready for increased snaps".  McCulloch has held up inside much better than I expected, and Mitchell has flashed several times. Would love to be able to move Ossai back to the edge full time. 
  • I know people will disagree, but I really don't get forcing a redshirt on Sterns or Whittington unless they are really below 90% for all but four games. Get them healthy and let them play. It is extremely unlikely either of those dudes are here for 5 years, so I don't really see the benefit. If anything, we should consider redshirting Overshown (and should have last year). He has all the tools, but he just came in too raw and has proven to be too injury prone to be a three year player in my opinion. Would be nice to get a year between he and Sterns/Foster/Brown. 
  • Here's hoping re Cook. His regression has really surprised me. 

7 hours ago, DeweyCox said:

I’ve spent most of my adulthood in oil/gas, including a few years in PA and WV. When the Utica and Marcellus boomed, it was a huge relief to WV as coal mining (once a major point of economy and identity) was being pushed out at the same time. A huge influx of Texans showed up taking many of the higher paying O/G jobs because we already had the skills/knowledge to make it happen. It pissed ‘em off. T.A.FT. stickers all over the place...on hardhats, bumpers, banjos...stands for This Ain’t Fuckin’ Texas. 

Yeah.  I did some congressional work with the Western PA offices and when the Marcellus started taking off, they wouldn't shut up about the coming jobs boom.  My uncle is a PE and I tried to explain to the staffers that those fracking crews are usually pretty tight knit crews who don't really hire local.  They arrive, drill, cap, and move on.  I got a lot of "This is different, our local mayors are busy rezoning for the influx of permanent workers and associated industries."

A couple of years later, they were always bitching about o/g Texans, and what they are gonna do with all this empty warehouse and office space.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I'm not a break down the film kind of person, but to me Dele has really struggled all year and I don't think he's "ready for increased snaps".  McCulloch has held up inside much better than I expected, and Mitchell has flashed several times. Would love to be able to move Ossai back to the edge full time. 

All of our linebackers have been solid against the run all year.  And they've been generally bad against the pass.  Ossai has been one of the better LBs in pass coverage, when we move to dime.  If you move him back to B-backer, you are taking him off the field in the dime package.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

All of our linebackers have been solid against the run all year.  And they've been generally bad against the pass.  Ossai has been one of the better LBs in pass coverage, when we move to dime.  If you move him back to B-backer, you are taking him off the field in the dime package.

I don't think he should come off the field. B Backer in Nickle, Rover in Dime. 

On 10/1/2019 at 9:47 AM, Machinator said:

In case you missed this great quote earlier this week:

“It’s Texas,” West Virginia linebacker Shea Campbell said. “I think everybody, whether or not you like them or not, everybody has a bit of respect for them. Everybody knows the burnt orange, you see the color and that’s the only team you think of.”

Great example of why TEXAS should only wear their traditional uniforms... 🤘

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:
  • I know people will disagree, but I really don't get forcing a redshirt on Sterns or Whittington unless they are really below 90% for all but four games. Get them healthy and let them play. It is extremely unlikely either of those dudes are here for 5 years, so I don't really see the benefit. If anything, we should consider redshirting Overshown (and should have last year). He has all the tools, but he just came in too raw and has proven to be too injury prone to be a three year player in my opinion. Would be nice to get a year between he and Sterns/Foster/Brown. 

Redshirting  might be ok if it gets them healthier so they are more productive both at Texas and in the NFL.  Would great to see more former Longhorns having success in the NFL. 

Btw... Never know when a 3yr player might end up staying longer (like Shipley)

51 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

In case you missed this great quote earlier this week:

“It’s Texas,” West Virginia linebacker Shea Campbell said. “I think everybody, whether or not you like them or not, everybody has a bit of respect for them. Everybody knows the burnt orange, you see the color and that’s the only team you think of.”

Great example of why TEXAS should only wear their traditional uniforms... 🤘

Yup.  CDC gets it, even if some of our moron fans don't.  

• Like 1

Not going to bother linking to the Burnt Orange Nation post, but the Facebook caption read as: 

"Two years ago, the Horns justifiably celebrated bowl eligibility in Morgantown. Now six wins is no longer an acceptable standard once again.

The journalistic and grammatical integrity of that site could rival a Jupiter, Florida massage parlor. 

On 9/25/2019 at 10:53 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

Ok I'll be that guy... redshirt possibility? With the news about Roschon, I could see it. Let him get healthy. Our RB room isn't exactly stocked but we've got numbers right now. Plus it's not a given that he stays at the position. The tough part would be figuring out which 4 games to use him in. 

On 9/26/2019 at 6:36 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

Playing a little devil's advocate here, but why?

Assuming you've got a healthy 3 going into WVU plus whatever Kirk could contribute, is it absolutely necessary? From a talent perspective, I get it. Him having spent more time with the 1s and 2s since spring (although, Young and Johnson should have a better grasp on the offense. Then there's that kamikaze Roschon.), sure, that's a fair point. 

Literally everything else is telling me that maybe he shouldn't be rushed back in almost midway through the season in a position he just switched to and at the very least, still exists a spectacle of doubt that that will be the position he plays here. 

Could be wayyy off but that's my read on it. 

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

Jordan Whittington: Whittington is jogging after having his hernia repaired but how soon he comes back is anyone's guess. I'm decently confident he won't be back for OU. I don't think they want to rush him. The person I talked to said it might be wise to redshirt him if he can't go against OU -- save him for the Big 12 Championship game, assuming they make it, and the bowl game. I like that line of thinking. If he misses OU, they should be able to deal with every other team on the schedule without him.

So it wasn't that crazy of a thought...

Not going to bother linking to the Burnt Orange Nation post, but the Facebook caption read as: 

"Two years ago, the Horns justifiably celebrated bowl eligibility in Morgantown. Now six wins is no longer an acceptable standard once again.

The journalistic and grammatical integrity of that site could rival a Jupiter, Florida massage parlor. 

you misspelled Perry, Florida