A new cupcake for aggy & the rest of the SECSECSEC.....

Nueces River Rat

24 minutes ago, gecko said:

The Texans are ranked No. 4 in the most recent American Football Coaches Association poll after starting the season 4-0. 

Aggies won't go near them.....

That's b/c they do wear Stetsons, and I'm willing to bet, they are bigger Texans than aggy   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 9:16 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Tarleton State set to move to Division-I athletics in 2020

The Texans will function as an FCS football independent for at least the next season.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/09/30/tarleton-state-set-to-move-to-division-i-in-2020?ref=article_preview_img

Tarleton will regret that decision to move. All the rest of us in the Lone Star Conference can't wait to see them lose almost if not every game next season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Tarleton will regret that decision to move. All the rest of us in the Lone Star Conference can't wait to see them lose almost if not every game next season.

This schools like this should stay and not go D1, Texas State should of stayed also.  What are they ever going to compete for, the most of these schools shouldn’t be D1 conference championship? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

A&M-Commerce better known as East Texas State

Mine is the former football power known as Texas A&M Kingsville,  better known as Texas A&I.

We suck royally now and have for seven years.  And what really sucked is when the Horns and Javs sucked at the same time a few years back.  Thankfully the Horns have rebounded and my interest in the Javs is almost in passing now.  They are kind of like the Nebraska of D2 football right now where they look back at all those glory days and look pure suckage now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Mine is the former football power known as Texas A&M Kingsville,  better known as Texas A&I.

We suck royally now and have for seven years.  And what really sucked is when the Horns and Javs sucked at the same time a few years back.  Thankfully the Horns have rebounded and my interest in the Javs is almost in passing now.  They are kind of like the Nebraska of D2 football right now where they look back at all those glory days and look pure suckage now.  

Yup y’all do suck. We’ve beaten y’all for the Chennault Cup 7 years straight. However, y’all should have won in 2016 and 2018. We got lucky.

14 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

This schools like this should stay and not go D1, Texas State should of stayed also.  What are they ever going to compete for, the most of these schools shouldn’t be D1 conference championship? 

My thinking is something will change the dynamics in the next decade as TV contracts are redone and the voices grow louder and louder for an expanded playoff which might force a number of schools like Texas State to really think about where they stand in all this such as telling a few conferences you will never see the playoffs, so go elsewhere if you want to compete.  And really it might also be driven by other sports too.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

14 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

And it's simply amazing that all of these D1 programs claim that they lose money, yet you always see schools move up in divisions, and almost never down, with the exception of Idaho (forced to move down because couldn't find a conference) and UNO (Katrina devastation, but then they changed their mind).

8 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Yup y’all do suck. We’ve beaten y’all for the Chennault Cup 7 years straight. However, y’all should have won in 2016 and 2018. We got lucky.

Yep.   Our facilities are really holding us back.   aggy Tarleton, aggy West Texas and and Prairie View aggy all have new stadiums and accessory facilities and I know aggy Commerce has improved theirs.  We have the same shit pretty much we had back in the glory days of the 60's with fresh coats of paint and new turf.  Tough to compete against all the new bling these younger ones want today.  

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And it's simply amazing that all of these D1 programs claim that they lose money, yet you always see schools move up in divisions, and almost never down, with the exception of Idaho (forced to move down because couldn't find a conference) and UNO (Katrina devastation, but then they changed their mind).

Idaho is still D1 just dropped from FBS to FCS. Only two schools have dropped out of D1 recently that I know of and they are Centenary and Birmingham-Southern.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Supposedly this is making Angelo State and West Texas A&M explore this WAC/Indy option too.

I believe Dixie State in Utah is doing the same thing.  And rumors of Colorado State-Pueblo and/or Colorado Mesa thinking about it.

It has gotten brought up at Colorado Mines several times and gets shot down immediately by the people who realize that it would be impossible to fill entire rosters with D1-level athletes with engineering majors. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Idaho is still D1 just dropped from FBS to FCS. Only two schools have dropped out of D1 recently that I know of and they are Centenary and Birmingham-Southern.

It's the other sports, mostly March madness that keeps alot of these schools around.   Getting an invite to the NCAA or the NIT helps their bottom lines as well as their respective conferences.  While many have football, they tell it to go suck it and just keep it around for some reason.   

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Thanks.  Had a friend who was an administrator at BSC.  They were literally about to go bankrupt.  He was wondering if his paychecks would bounce each month. 

24 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I believe Dixie State in Utah is doing the same thing.  And rumors of Colorado State-Pueblo and/or Colorado Mesa thinking about it.

It has gotten brought up at Colorado Mines several times and gets shot down immediately by the people who realize that it would be impossible to fill entire rosters with D1-level athletes with engineering majors. 

The WAC is struggling to find membership. They have UMKC and Cal State Bakersfield leaving and Chicago State is always two days away from closing the whole campus for good. One idea is that they're trying to build a Texas base of UTRGV, Tarleton, and some other D2 call-ups. We'll see, but dang what a book the fall of the WAC would make.

I ran track my last two years at Tarleton, when we were still in the conference with Midwestern, Angelo State, Howard Payne, and Austin College. I lived close enough to commute. $500-600k paydays for getting their ass kicked a couple of times per year will increase their athletic budget tremendously. They have had really good basketball teams, guess the football team was put on notice. Will probably be the conference cellar dweller for a decade or so.

CHIEF

6 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

A&M-Commerce better known as East Texas State

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Hey, at least Tarleton didn't sell out to aggy on their name as part of the deal to get those aggy dollars.

1 hour ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Hey, at least Tarleton didn't sell out to aggy on their name as part of the deal to get those aggy dollars.

Most of us who were at  A&I  (did my undergrad there) back when the name changed in 1993 didn't want aggy in our name either and still don't.  A&I was part of the aggy system going back to the late 80's when they took on the South Texas University System which included A&I, Laredo State and Corpus Christi State.  One thing the aggy BOR agreed to was no name changes to A&I much like they had with Tarleton.  But Tarleton's was iron clad due to the way it was acquired by aggy a century and some change ago and I believe a name change prohibition was written into law and reaffirmed several times since then.   The local South Texas politicians decided it needed it's name changed once CCSU and Laredo State agreed to take on the A&M name and held a gun to both the local university administration and BOR during a  special legislative session which dealt with higher education funding.  When they did that, they killed a very generous alumni base and a lot of school pride which only has begun to recover somewhat thanks to a new generation.  But the suck ass football program has taken a giant fall and I really don't know if it will ever return to the day when I firmly believe we could have competed with a number of low  and even mid tier big boy schools.  I mean SWT and Sammy Houston used to be a routine ass whooping  and they were a division above us.     We were kind of like the "U" of small college football with the numbers of former D1 transfers we had who got kicked out of their big boy schools due to  everything from grades to criminal activity.    In fact we had a few former Sooners and Canes on the roster when I was there and guys who played alot on Saturdays with  OU sucks and the U.  The running joke back then is the Texas Department of Corrections should open a parole office in the athletic office so the football team could check in before or after practice if needed.  LOL I miss those days because the brand of football was badass.   I think in one game against Abilene Christian,  A&I had close to 200 yards in penalties and still whooped ACU 56-0 and in one play they practically sat their QB in the stands next to his parents and got multiple infractions for it.   Not so much now.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Most of us who were at  A&I  (did my undergrad there) back when the name changed in 1993 didn't want aggy in our name either and still don't.  A&I was part of the aggy system going back to the late 80's when they took on the South Texas University System which included A&I, Laredo State and Corpus Christi State.  One thing the aggy BOR agreed to was no name changes to A&I much like they had with Tarleton.  But Tarleton's was iron clad due to the way it was acquired by aggy a century and some change ago and I believe a name change prohibition was written into law and reaffirmed several times since then.   The local South Texas politicians decided it needed it's name changed once CCSU and Laredo State agreed to take on the A&M name and held a gun to both the local university administration and BOR during a  special legislative session which dealt with higher education funding.  When they did that, they killed a very generous alumni base and a lot of school pride which only has begun to recover somewhat thanks to a new generation.  But the suck ass football program has taken a giant fall and I really don't know if it will ever return to the day when I firmly believe we could have competed with a number of low  and even mid tier big boy schools.  I mean SWT and Sammy Houston used to be a routine ass whooping  and they were a division above us.     We were kind of like the "U" of small college football with the numbers of former D1 transfers we had who got kicked out of their big boy schools due to  everything from grades to criminal activity.    In fact we had a few former Sooners and Canes on the roster when I was there and guys who played alot on Saturdays with  OU sucks and the U.  The running joke back then is the Texas Department of Corrections should open a parole office in the athletic office so the football team could check in before or after practice if needed.  LOL I miss those days because the brand of football was badass.   I think in one game against Abilene Christian,  A&I had close to 200 yards in penalties and still whooped ACU 56-0 and in one play they practically sat their QB in the stands next to his parents and got multiple infractions for it.   Not so much now.

I haven't  kept up with the football programs of the old LSC schools in years, but my recollection was that the Javelinas kicked ass.  I specifically remember Johnny Bailey setting all kinds of records.

Tarleton has always had an interesting relationship with A&M.  Given how far back it goes they actually have a lot of very aggy-like traditions, and yet they had a very independent view of themselves and didn't like being considered aggys.

28 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Tarleton has always had an interesting relationship with A&M.  Given how far back it goes they actually have a lot of very aggy-like traditions, and yet they had a very independent view of themselves and didn't like being considered aggys.

Tarleton is a poor man's aggy. Had an opportunity to play baseball for Tarleton along with Dallas Baptist and a few other small time schools or attend Texas, I never played college baseball and I choose wisely. I visited the schools including Tarleton and was thanks but no thanks.

47 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

I haven't  kept up with the football programs of the old LSC schools in years, but my recollection was that the Javelinas kicked ass.  I specifically remember Johnny Bailey setting all kinds of records.

That was quite an era when Bailey ran the rock.   They also had Heath Sherman in the backfield who later had a successful career with the Eagles.    And playing defense at the same time would be a later undrafted free agent by the name of John Randle who has his name in Canton along with Darrel Green and Gene Upshaw.  Interesting fact, A&I has more NFL HOF inductees than aggy who has one.  The Horns have four.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That was quite an era when Bailey ran the rock.   They also had Heath Sherman in the backfield who later had a successful career with the Eagles.    And playing defense at the same time would be a later undrafted free agent by the name of John Randle who has his name in Canton along with Darrel Green and Gene Upshaw.  Interesting fact, A&I has more NFL HOF inductees than aggy who has one.  The Horns have four.

I wasn't aware of that.  That's pretty amazing for a school at that level.

6 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

It still blows my mind that Upshaw was born & raised in Robstown. I have some family in Kingsville & bishop, so I went to Robstown a bunch. Never seen one black person there ever.

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

It still blows my mind that Upshaw was born & raised in Robstown. I have some family in Kingsville & bishop, so I went to Robstown a bunch. Never seen one black person there ever.

I live just north of Robstown in Calallen.   When Upshaw was growing up,  Robstown probably had a much larger black population just like they had a much larger anglo population too.  Corrupt politics  (mainly with the school district) took over that town sometime in the 70's and drove many away.  

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

My building's old janitor was Gene's cousin.  I asked him what Gene was like in HS, playing against a bunch of undersized Hispanic kids.  He busted out laughing and said, "It was not fair.  At all."  People say that Marvin Upshaw was better than Gene growing up.

I assume he/both would have played at UT but for the color of his skin.  

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

My building's old janitor was Gene's cousin.  I asked him what Gene was like in HS, playing against a bunch of undersized Hispanic kids.  He busted out laughing and said, "It was not fair.  At all."  People say that Marvin Upshaw was better than Gene growing up.

I assume he/both would have played at UT but for the color of his skin.  

That's one reason he ended up at A&I.   Steinke who was the coach at A&I was one of the first to fully integrate a college squad in the state.