2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Try and read Anwar’s OC update without getting a headache.

(From Anwar) 

Texas football coach Tom Herman is seemingly not in a hurry to hire a new offensive coordinator. 

When the season ended, Herman’s main priority was to fix a defense that was ranked 108th in the country in 2019 (there are 130 teams). That led Herman to part ways with defensive coordinator Todd Orlando, a coach he discovered at Utah State. Herman wanted to find a coach who could improve his defense, and develop a roster of talented young players. After interviewing multiple candidates, Herman hired former Ohio State defensive coordinator Chris Ash, who the head coach at Rutgers for a portion of this season. 

“After taking a hard look at a lot of options at defensive coordinator, Chris was the one that continued to stand out,” Herman said via a press release. “We couldn’t be more excited what he’ll add to our staff. I’ve witnessed firsthand Chris’ skills as a game planner, his attention to detail and ability to develop players. He gets the best out of every one of them and has a history of building physical, fundamentally sound, winning defenses. He has done it at the highest level, is a tremendous all-around coach and an awesome person. I know he’ll do great things, and our players, coaches and staff will really enjoy working with him. We look forward to his arrival in Austin, getting to work, and him and his family joining our Longhorn family.”

Herman took care of his first priority, but there is no telling when he might hire a new offensive coordinator. I believe it could happen this month. However, considering my sources told me Herman does not believe his offense needs an overhaul, I wouldn't bet on when he hires a new offensive coordinator. 

Earlier this week, I reported the list of offensive coordinator candidates who are on Herman’s list. Those coaches are Sean Gleeson (Oklahoma State), Mike Yurcich (Ohio State), and Major Applewhite (Alabama). From what I can tell, there might be two more candidates on Herman’s list. One name I heard this week was Minnesota offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarroca. Once Herman has vetted potential candidates, and starts eliminating coaches, the picture should become clearer. 

One aspect of the coaching search I researched this week was Herman’s desire to hire someone who runs the current offense versus a guy bringing in his own playbook. 

The responses were very interesting. 

From I was told, Herman is looking for a guy who can maintain the identity of his team. Texas is always going to be a shotgun team that wants opposing squads to defend the quarterback run, according to my sources. In addition, people inside the building said Herman intends to play with a tight end, and throw the ball downfield off play-action. Those are attributes Herman will not stray from. 

However, those close to Herman said he is looking for a marriage of terminologies and philosophies. They scoffed at the mention of a coordinator bringing his own play book to Texas. 

I was told the notion of an offense being etched in stone and never evolving was an inaccurate view of coaching searches. Once source said, “Look, nobody comes in and drops a playbook on a team and a head coach.” Instead, I was told the conversations Herman was having with coaches revolves around them agreeing to what works best for the players, and it is not centered around running plays. 

To dig a little deeper, I asked about the Air Raid offense. I wanted to know why Herman kicked to tires on USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell. 

“Are you talking about Lincoln Riley’s Air Raid offense or Mike Leach’s?” my source retorted. 

During the course of the conversation, my source said Riley uses two tight ends and runs the ball 30 times in his Air Raid offense, while Leach might throw over 60 times a game. 

“They are both Air Raid offenses, but nothing alike,” I was told. “You have to understand it is not like offenses are etched in stone and never evolving. They are constantly evolving and adapting.”

In addition, I was told everyone Herman interviewed, including Harrell, believe it was easier for them to marriage their philosophy to the coach instead of trying to have 50 players learn a new system and terminology. 

As far as the offensive coordinator search is concerned, I will keep you posted. 

I am tired of reading all this 9.95 shit so I will make some up. 

Chris Del Conte and Greg Fenves flew to New Orleans and hogtied Drew Brees until his pal Joe Brady showed up.  Then Drew talked about his badass uncle Marty Akins and the glory that was Texas football .  Del Conte said Texas will pay Brady 2 million for 3 years guaranteed.  Del Conte watched to see if Ed O was lurking with the Orleans Parrish police.   The deal was sealed and everyone had a hurricane.  

• Haha 1

I'm not sure why everyone shits on the "comfort hire" so much. Herman had success at tOSU with a specific style of offense. tOSU is still having success with that offense. Herman tried to recreate that offensive style at Houston with some success and it got him the job here. He wants that tOSU playoff offense here so he tries to bring guys who know that offense. Unfortunately the list of names with direct experience to the tOSU championship-level offense isn't very long and most of them have worked with Herman at some point in the past. Is he supposed to not hire those guys just because some of the periphery guys he brought in previously couldn't cut it here? Do we know want that type of offense eventually?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

Chris Del Conte and Greg Fenves flew to New Orleans and hogtied Drew Brees until his pal Joe Brady showed up.  Then Drew talked about his badass uncle Marty Akins and the glory that was Texas football .  Del Conte said Texas will pay Brady 2 million for 3 years guaranteed.  Del Conte watched to see if Ed O was lurking with the Orleans Parrish police.   The deal was sealed and everyone had a hurricane.  

spacer.png

Just now, Modessit said:

I'm not sure why everyone shits on the "comfort hire" so much. Herman had success at tOSU with a specific style of offense. tOSU is still having success with that offense. Herman tried to recreate that offensive style at Houston with some success and it him the job here. He wants that tOSU playoff offense here so he tries to bring guys who know that offense. Unfortunately the list of names with direct experience to the tOSU championship-level offense isn't very long and most of them have worked with Herman at some point in the past. Is he supposed to not hire those guys just because some of the periphery guys he brought in previously couldn't cut it here?

They aren’t still running the same offense than Herman ran

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

it's happening GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Modessit said:

I'm not sure why everyone shits on the "comfort hire" so much. Herman had success at tOSU with a specific style of offense. tOSU is still having success with that offense. Herman tried to recreate that offensive style at Houston with some success and it him the job here. He wants that tOSU playoff offense here so he tries to bring guys who know that offense. Unfortunately the list of names with direct experience to the tOSU championship-level offense isn't very long and most of them have worked with Herman at some point in the past. Is he supposed to not hire those guys just because some of the periphery guys he brought in previously couldn't cut it here?

The biggest issue with the offense this year was not the system but the play calling. It was vanilla and predictable.

1 minute ago, Modessit said:
3 minutes ago, Fud said:
They aren’t still running the same offense than Herman ran

So what are they running now? Urban changed the offense that won him an NC? Or did the new guy change it this year?

Ryan Day brought in a different offense last year, this is their second year in that offense 

7 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

You didn't say "My sources" once. Rookie move. 

• Like 2

The biggest issue with the offense this year was not the system but the play calling. It was vanilla and predictable.
I'll agree with that. I assumed that Sam's ribs weren't that great for a while between LSU and KSU, but there were plenty of other things that could have been done differently.

Ryan Day brought in a different offense last year, this is their second year in that offense 
Ok, but it WAS successful for a number of years after Herman left. It's obviously what he's trying to replicate here. He's just finding it harder than he thought to find guys to run all the different parts of the team when previously he only had to concentrate on the offense.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

Herman's passing offense seemed too predictable in 2019 as evidenced by TCU DB's often jumping routes. Mensa probably needs to hire a Joe Brady type passing coordinator to add a much more sophisticated passing scheme to Herman's offense. 

Nahlin is probably Anwar’s source for Kirk Ciarrocca being added to the list, I doubt Anwar had ever even heard of that guy before reading his name here.  

Ciarrocca was Neal Brown’s choice for OC at WVU when Brown was hired as HC last January. Ciarrocca was ready to leave but had a change of heart after talking to Fleck and getting the promise of a nice raise. 

Im guessing that if Ciarrocca is who Herman wants he should have a pretty good chance at getting him - he’s already nearly left Minnesota once and is only making 750k after a bump in pay this year. 

16 minutes ago, Modessit said:
25 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ok, but it WAS successful for a number of years after Herman left. It's obviously what he's trying to replicate here. He's just finding it harder than he thought to find guys to run all the different parts of the team when previously he only had to concentrate on the offense.

In the past, one of the biggest issues tOSU fans had with the team was the predictable offense they ran (sound familiar?). Day has made a big difference.

I know I'm in the minority but I want to see how Herman handles this setback and how he adjusts when it matters. That will tell us everything, but right now is way too soon to fire the guy. Was this poor season a fluke or was 2018's damn good one the fluke? Let's give the guy a chance to show which one it is. 

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Also, I know this isn't the recruiting board but that place stinks like shit. How is this class looking on paper? Any glaring holes that weren't addressed? I know it's a small class because they're only losing 10 seniors. 

The following is a transcript from a recent phone call I had with Chris DelConte;

CDC: You ain’t got no problem, ChrisMyAsh. I’m on the mother fucker. Go back in there, chill them bevos out and wait for the Bijan, who should be coming directly.

ChrisMyAsh: You sending the Bijan?

CDC: Oh you feel better mother fucker?

ChrisMyAsh: Shit bevo! That’s all you had to say!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the past, one of the biggest issues tOSU fans had with the team was the predictable offense they ran (sound familiar?). Day has made a big difference.
I'm sure we'd all like to bitch about our predictable offense while celebrating another national championship. Or playoff spot. Or 10-win season.

3 hours ago, Modessit said:
6 hours ago, Atticus said:

I'm sure we'd all like to bitch about our predictable offense while celebrating another national championship. Or playoff spot. Or 10-win season.

Greg Davis is coming back?

• Like 1

Herman's passing offense seemed too predictable in 2019 as evidenced by TCU DB's often jumping routes. Mensa probably needs to hire a Joe Brady type passing coordinator to add a much more sophisticated passing scheme to Herman's offense. 

A passing game coordinator would have helped this past year, and can be of help any year, but if Herman hires a coordinator who's a competent play caller, the need's a helluva lot less.

Herman's style of offense has enough route concepts and formations to where it doesn't have to be that predictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

When you are the other team’s defense and you can predict run/pass with 70% probability of getting it right just by looking at where the RB lines up, that means that whoever designed the offense is a fucking moron.

There's nothing wrong with the offense - it needs some freshening up, but so does every offense every season.  The issue is the stale playcalling - Herman got into a habit of calling the same plays from the same formations and it made the offense so predictable even the assholes on Surly knew what was coming.  A good play-caller who can recognize and break their own tendencies will do wonders for this Texas offense.

Rumor has a it from a friend of a friend with inside information gleamed from the cousin of a mailman that the new Offense Coordinator will be none other than Mr. Bill. Yes that Mr. Bill. Consequently if we ever lose, no only can we laugh about it, we shall also be able to point our bony fingers at Sluggo.  Expect long offensive drives in the future to end in disastrous results as we all scream in harmony  "Oh No Mr. Bill". 

• Like 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

There's nothing wrong with the offense - it needs some freshening up, but so does every offense every season.  The issue is the stale playcalling - Herman got into a habit of calling the same plays from the same formations and it made the offense so predictable even the assholes on Surly knew what was coming.  A good play-caller who can recognize and break their own tendencies will do wonders for this Texas offense.

And as far as where the running back in lining up etc... tipping off run/pass, that goes back to play-calling, not the offense's design. 

25 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Rumor has a it from a friend of a friend with inside information gleamed from the cousin of a mailman that the new Offense Coordinator will be none other than Mr. Bill. Yes that Mr. Bill. Consequently if we ever lose, no only can we laugh about it, we shall also be able to point our bony fingers at Sluggo.  Expect long offensive drives in the future to end in disastrous results as we all scream in harmony  "Oh No Mr. Bill". 

Well, we've already got a Mr. Hands on O.

26 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

mr bill snl GIF

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I would like for CTJ to weigh in here on whether he’s heard anything as of yesterday. I heard the OC is identified and wrapped up. No idea who.

I don’t know shit. I don’t believe anyone else does either. The $9.95ers are throwing as many names out there as possible in the hopes that they can claim they had it the whole way when one of the names is the guy. 

14 hours ago, Red Five said:

There is a podcast with Anwar and Ketch, and people listen to it? Voluntarily?

I’ve heard about this audio fetish some people have. They like to listen to recordings of slobs just eating their way through a buffet. Like orca fat level shit. I’m guessing Ketchum is probably working his way through his second lunch, replete with fried chicken or BBQ or biscuits and gravy, and you can hear him snort down every morsel. 

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Randolph Duke has never laughed.

Not a “haha” or even a “tee hee”?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve heard about this audio fetish some people have. They like to listen to recordings of slobs just eating their way through a buffet. Like orca fat level shit. I’m guessing Ketchum is probably working his way through his second lunch, replete with fried chicken or BBQ or biscuits and gravy, and you can hear him snort down every morsel. 

Featuring a cameo by Coach Price at 1:32

Edited by KYHorn

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know shit. I don’t believe anyone else does either. The $9.95ers are throwing as many names out there as possible in the hopes that they can claim they had it the whole way when one of the names is the guy. 

Not a “haha” or even a “tee hee”?

giggle smile GIF

44 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I remember @blacklab being asked about meeting duke. His response was short but hysterical:

”nice guy, talked a lot.”

I was always under the impression that Randolph was a self learning sentient being built by the computer science department of UT back in the 90's for the express purpose of the destruction of aggy. He was released into the wild and grew too powerful to contain after he meticulously read every hardback book after hours in PCL in one week. After he amazingly figured out how to get a double masters degree in Accounting and Law online, we managed to point him towards the public book keeping records of the diseased fungus riddled branch of the University of Texas and he rest is history.