2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Those dudes don't know anything. They're speculating like everyone else. Their opinion is Lashlee's next step should be HC and that SMU is a more stable situation and that's enough to keep him at SMU. Few people pass up the opportunity to double their salary. If he succeeds at Texas the HC jobs he would be in line for are P5 gigs. OC from SMU is looking at MWC and AAC gigs, at best.

Let’s circle back on this post after he’s decided to pass. Will be curious to get your thoughts on why.

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Let’s circle back on this post after he’s decided to pass. Will be curious to get your thoughts on why.

There are obvious reasons on why he would pass, but I don't think it's because his next job will be a HC.  He's the OC of SMU and was fired from Auburn.  His next job will be as an OC for P5 program.

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Outside of rushing, he was right there with Sam, maybe even give him a little. 

Wouldn't have been so had he started at Texas this year. In-game play-calling makes a difference.

Interesting that Shane has tamed his issues with holding onto the ball for too long (.08 sacks/attempt in '16 compared to .04 in '19) while Sam has regressed in that regard (.04 in '17 and .07 in '19).  Coaching matters, I suppose.

• Like 3

Just now, Fozzz said:

Interesting that Shane has tamed his issues with holding onto the ball for too long (.08 sacks/attempt in '16 compared to .04 in '19) while Sam has regressed in that regard (.04 in '17 and .07 in '19).  Coaching matters, I suppose.

Or an offensive line? God they were awful against OU, TCU and Baylor.

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Eh, maybe, but I put a little bit more of that on Sam. When a QB regresses like that without a change of system/coaching, it's usually just something the kid is doing.

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I'm listening to Yesterday's Horns247 Longhorns Blitz podcast right now...

Jeff Howe & especially Rod Barbers love Rhett Lashlee as an OC candidate, but Howe says Lashlee coming to UT is highly unlikely (& would literally be an upset) because staying at SMU next season is a more stable job with Shane Buchele & other weapons returning. Lashlee can probably get a Head Coaching job after next season without taking the UT OC job.

They also imply that UT not being able to pull Lashlee from fuccing SMU does not speak well about Herman's reputation & personality.

SMU is losing 2 guys that accounted for 37 TDs, and there is no guarantee that Roberson returns either.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Eh, maybe, but I put a little bit more of that on Sam. When a QB regresses like that without a change of system/coaching, it's usually just something the kid is doing.

I agree with you. Sam played several games like his head was up his ass. Unfortunately for us, he wasn't alone. The whole team looked like that for a while.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I agree with you. Sam played several games like his head was up his ass. Unfortunately for us, he wasn't alone. The whole team looked like that for a while.

And obviously missing C Johnson didn't help him. But that doesn't explain nearly everything he had a problem with.

And agree about the whole team (For the most part). Seems Ingram was the biggest improvement I saw, and R Johnson was just nails in the role they needed him to play. Duv, of course. That's it. 

Edited by UncleBuck

35 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Or an offensive line? God they were awful against OU, TCU and Baylor.

They were awful after 3-4 games of tape was out there.  If a defense can predict the playcall 80% of the time, every OL in the NCAA that isn't at Bama or OSU is going to struggle.  Similar logic goes for QB, RB, WR that aren't elite.  Duv is just a stud so he was productive despite what was going on around him.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I'm not saying those are unreasonable assumptions about Lashlee's thought process. I'm just saying those guys are not privy to his thought process and are just speculating.

12 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I'm not saying those are unreasonable assumptions about Lashlee's thought process. I'm just saying those guys are not privy to his thought process and are just speculating.

I think assuming Lashlee would turn down Texas OC because he's more likely to land a better HC job based on his performance as SMU OC is absolutely an unreasonable assumption.  There may be valid reasons he would turn it down if Texas actually offered him the job but acting like SMU is some great springboard to a coveted HC position doesn't make much sense to me.

Edited by Skipper

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Jeff Howe & especially Rod Barbers love Rhett Lashlee as an OC candidate, but Howe says Lashlee coming to UT is highly unlikely (& would literally be an upset) because staying at SMU next season is a more stable job with Shane Buchele & other weapons returning. Lashlee can probably get a Head Coaching job after next season without taking the UT OC job.

They also imply that UT not being able to pull Lashlee from fuccing SMU does not speak well about Herman's reputation & personality.

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Here's the link to the podcast (Skip to the 41:04 mark to hear when Jeff Howe & Rod Babers discuss Rhett Lashlee): Horns247 Longhorn Blitz podcast - 12/17/2019 - Chris Ash as DC & offensive coordinator search

BTW, Jeff Howe & Rod Barbers like Chip Long as an OC candidate because he comes from the Mike Norvell tree.

• Fuck You 1

52 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

fortunately we're not losing much productivity at the WR position. 

Yes, but I would take my chances with Washington, Eagles, Smith, and the chance that decent coaching and a friendlier TE scheme would actual get something from the guys at that position over whatever SMU has coming back.

3 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Jeff trying to justify that was nauseating. Rhett Lashlee should be an easy pull and if he isn't there is a bigger problem that needs addressing.

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, but I would take my chances with Washington, Eagles, Smith, and the chance that decent coaching and a friendlier TE scheme would actual get something from the guys at that position over whatever SMU has coming back.

At the end of each year, we do the “OU will lose XYZ players so they’ll be worse but we’re losing XYZ and going to be better.”

im glad this tried and true notion is being utilized in coach search rational. Hopefully it works out better for us in this scenario than it has in the scenario above.

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Kevin Johns - who was mentioned in that BON video - has been an OC for Kevin Wilson, Kliff Kingsbury, and Mike Norvell.  As far as Offensive Coaches go - that's a nice group to study under.

Johns would be my first choice, then Lashlee.  I can remember when Lashlee was everyone's flavor of the day OC. I think the offense will be dramatically better under either

2 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Johns would be my first choice, then Lashlee.  I can remember when Lashlee was everyone's flavor of the day OC. I think the offense will be dramatically better under either

If we want Johns (or even if we don't but his agent is smart) he's going to get a hell of a pay increase.  Johns as OC made 200k at Memphis last year.

I will agree with Herman that we don’t need a dramatic change in offense, we just need someone who isn’t a complete fucking moron calling plays. Having someone with basic understanding of playcalling will fix a lot of problems. I want the best play caller. 

There was a stretch vs ISU where we ran some sort of inside run designed to go in between the C and G 6 fucking straight times.