2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

35 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Man watching LHN and Tom Herman is not a good interview.  He is not a good speaker and has trouble getting his point across which seems like that would be a good skill to have as a coach.

Guess you weren’t around for Charlie.....

Kevin Johns Wiki stuff

Johns graduated from the University of Dayton, where he played quarterback for Flyers. He was an assistant coach for seven seasons at Northwestern under head coaches Randy Walker and Pat Fitzgerald, as well as two seasons at FCS Richmond.

In 2011, he accepted the co-offensive coordinator position at Indiana under new head coach Kevin Wilson.[1] From 2014 to 2016, Johns served as the offensive coordinator for the Hoosiers.[2]

In 2017, Johns joined the staff of Tim Lester as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Western Michigan Broncos football team.[3]

In 2018, Johns joined the staff of Kliff Kingsbury as offensive coordinator and receivers coach at Texas Tech University. At the conclusion of the 2018 season Kingsbury and his coaching staff, including Johns, was fired by Texas Tech.

In 2019, Johns became the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Memphis.

Johns received his bachelor's degree in mathematics from the University of Dayton in 1998. He then received a master's degree from Northwestern University in 2001. Johns and his wife, Krista, have three sons.

I'm not seeing Herman or Rutgers in his past, could be good. But then again that Tech thing popped up which often is enough to make the coach an attractive hire, but his current situation is probably better.

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Kevin Johns Wiki stuff

I'm not seeing Herman or Rutgers in his past, could be good. But then again that Tech thing popped up which often is enough to make the coach an attractive hire, but his current situation is probably better.

Never mind, masters degree from Northwestern. No way Herman takes on a dude with that educational pedigree.

34 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I will agree with Herman that we don’t need a dramatic change in offense, we just need someone who isn’t a complete fucking moron calling plays. Having someone with basic understanding of playcalling will fix a lot of problems. I want the best play caller. 

There was a stretch vs ISU where we ran some sort of inside run designed to go in between the C and G 6 fucking straight times.  

It would be nice to expand the playbook so that we run multiple plays from alignments and personnel groups. We are not good enough to have the defense know what we are doing and still move the ball, but even if we were why should we have to?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It would be nice to expand the playbook so that we run multiple plays from alignments and personnel groups. We are not good enough to have the defense know what we are doing and still move the ball, but even if we were why should we have to?

Sounds like a weak-willed, non-aligned take from a guy who probably pees an unbecoming shade of rusty gold, tbh

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Llogg said:

Those dudes don't know anything. They're speculating like everyone else. Their opinion is Lashlee's next step should be HC and that SMU is a more stable situation and that's enough to keep him at SMU. Few people pass up the opportunity to double their salary. If he succeeds at Texas the HC jobs he would be in line for are P5 gigs. OC from SMU is looking at MWC and AAC gigs, at best.

Howe is a full time reporter, not speculator/podcaster. Some of what he said comes off as his opinion (like which job is more stable, which is impossible to objectively quantify), but it seemed pretty clear to me that Howe is also implying he's heard through the grapevine/sources/etc that Lashlee isn't interested in the Texas OC job.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Howe is a full time reporter, not speculator/podcaster. Some of what he said comes off as his opinion (like which job is more stable, which is impossible to objectively quantify), but it seemed pretty clear to me that Howe is also implying he's heard through the grapevine/sources/etc that Lashlee isn't interested in the Texas OC job.

It's like Bobby only allows him to talk about certain things on the podcast and he was scared he was going to ruin some paywall inside scoop.

I was optimistic. I want to believe we are only competent coordinators and injury resistant depth away from being relevant. But this extended game of Clue has kind of hammered it out of me. If I thought TH was really taking his time to be sure he got the right fit at OC, or whatever limited BS they're pitching, it would be fine. But I'm beginning to think TH is having trouble getting the quality OC he wants to consider taking the job. That may be indicative of what its like to work for TH, or it may be indicative of the perceived hot seat. Either way, if there is any reality to that perception, he's on borrowed time. If he cannot attract quality coaches, then we will be repeating this all over again, very shortly, when we have to get a new HC. I think I'll give a shit about that when and if it happens. I think I'm done giving a shit who gets hired as OC. Hope its someone great. I'll read about it when it happens. Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1leggedduck said:

I was optimistic. I want to believe we are only competent coordinators and injury resistant depth away from being relevant. But this extended game of Clue has kind of hammered it out of me. If I thought TH was really taking his time to be sure he got the right fit at OC, or whatever limited BS they're pitching, it would be fine. But I'm beginning to think TH is having trouble getting the quality OC he wants to consider taking the job. That may be indicative of what its like to work for TH, or it may be indicative of the perceived hot seat. Either way, if there is any reality to that perception, he's on borrowed time. If he cannot attract quality coaches, then we will be repeating this all over again, very shortly, when we have to get a new HC. I think I'll give a shit about that when and if it happens. I think I'm done giving a shit who gets hired as OC. Hope its someone great. I'll read about it when it happens. Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays.

spacer.png

I will agree with Herman that we don’t need a dramatic change in offense, we just need someone who isn’t a complete fucking moron calling plays. Having someone with basic understanding of playcalling will fix a lot of problems. I want the best play caller. 
There was a stretch vs ISU where we ran some sort of inside run designed to go in between the C and G 6 fucking straight times.  

This is true. I actually don't think the system is inherently bad. Unfortunately, the man hiring a play caller is the complete fucking moron who called plays this year. Do we trust what he's looking for?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Norvell may want to bring him to FSU, but you’d think he would’ve done that by now if that was his plan.
yeah well, he might be trying and we might be talking, and given the depth of pockets UT vs FSU.....

FSU already hired its OC.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They did - they mentioned Sean Gleeson (Okie St), David Yost (Tech), and Kirk Ciarroca (Minnesota)
None if those guys will work out. If there's anything I've learned from the game threads it's that we never want an OC with an O in his name because eventually that O will be deleted.

That's why I'm not too upset about Ash for DC.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Modessit said:

None if those guys will work out. If there's anything I've learned from the game threads it's that we never want an OC with an O in his name because eventually that O will be deleted.

That's why I'm not too upset about Ash for DC.

You know something is bothering me about Chris Ash. I can't find his middle name anywhere. Not in his Wiki, Not in his contract from Rutgers...

What if his middle name is Dick, David or Desmond. Or god forbid Dodds.

7 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Sooooo....Are we just going to wait until after all the bowls and hire whoever is still unemployed?

Apparently "we're Texas" means we are the Statue of Liberty for fired/failed coaches. 

We don't "poach" coaches, we dumpster dive for them....

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 2

So it appears TH went all in on GH before NSD1. Which is fine if it played out. Well it didn’t so now he steps back, licks his calf and goes forward. Now just reset and look for the next best options before NSD2 to get recruits excited about the future. Not the guy from KSU or some other jag. Someone who will get kids on board.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beer Horn said:

So it appears TH went all in on GH before NSD1. Which is fine if it played out. Well it didn’t so now he steps back, licks his calf and goes forward. Now just reset and look for the next best options before NSD2 to get recruits excited about the future. Not the guy from KSU or some other jag. Someone who will get kids on board.

Gotta admire his flexibility to get his tongue down there though.