2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I believe you because with every name mentioned you coming running to the board to paint the candidate in the best light possible.

Incorrect. I'm just not completely negative like almost everyone else in this thread. Ash is a good coach. Long is a good coach. Whether they can succeed at Texas is immaterial to them being good coaches. It's not like it takes elite coaches to win championships at Texas. Brown got one with Greg Davis.

22 minutes ago, Getafix said:

247 / Tom Loy (ND Mod) / On Chip Long ...

I wanted to stop by and let you guys know that I've been told without a doubt that Texas is very interested in former Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chip Long and there is plenty of mutual interest as well. I think it would be a terrific hire for the Longhorns. Sure, he's a tough coach, but one that gets results from his players.

Rest of it:

Reveal hidden contents

What's up guys. Tom Loy from our Notre Dame 247Sports site over at Irish Illustrated.

I wanted to stop by and let you guys know that I've been told without a doubt that Texas is very interested in former Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chip Long and there is plenty of mutual interest as well. I think it would be a terrific hire for the Longhorns. Sure, he's a tough coach, but one that gets results from his players.

Just some background info on Long, he clearly knows what he's doing, as he led the Notre Dame offense to a program record for points in a regular season with 445, which equates to 37.1 points per game. The offense was, let's just say not all that enjoyable to watch before Long's arrival. There were a lack of playmakers, the offense was somewhat stale, and they struggled moving the ball. In addition, when looking at identifying successful players or making the tough calls, it was Long that pushed to make the change at quarteback from Brandon Wimbush to Ian Book after the 3-0 start last year just to kickstart the offense. Book went on to a stellar season, the passing game flourished, and he led the Fighting Irish to a 12-0 record before the playoff loss to Clemson.

Also, Long recruited his tail off for Notre Dame this cycle (and in the past) and his results can’t be denied, as he is currently listed at No. 7 overall in the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings for the class of 2020. His recruiting chops shined this cycle and Notre Dame will benefit from his work over the past year. Long was extremely impactful and the primary recruiter for five-star running back Chris Tyree, who was at one point going to go to Oklahoma. Long and running backs coach Lance Taylor teamed up to get that done and flip things back in Notre Dame's favor. He landed arguably the nation’s No. 1 tight end Michael Mayer and secured a pledge from talented four-star tight end Kevin Bauman when the two were once listed No. 1 and No. 2 in the early rankings at 247Sports. He landed one of the most underrated wide receiver prospects this cycle in Xavier Watts, who 247Sports lists as a four-star recruit compared to a three-star on the composite rankings. He also played a big role as a secondary recruiter for other commits such as four-star wide receiver Jordan Johnson, four-star offensive tackles Tosh Baker and Michael Carmody, and four-star quarterback Drew Pyne.

It'll be interesting to see what Texas does on this front, but I know for sure that there is plenty of mutual interest here and it's something to keep an eye.

He could have shortened that whole thing to “Chip Long was my main source of recruiting info at ND. In return, I’m pumping him for a new job.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Wow, Chip Long sounds great!  I bet Notre Dame is really sad that they just fucking fired him.  

Long sounds like Notre Dame's version of Drew Mehringer... 

Saw this headline, "Brian Kelly dumps Chip Long".  And this quote: "Long’s hard-driving coaching style had begun to grate on some of those around him."  

"Asked back in October about offensive coordinator Chip Long’s ban on running out of bounds, all part of his “seekers of contact” mantra at Notre Dame, coach Brian Kelly stopped short of a full endorsement.   “I think they understand what we’re asking for,” Kelly said of his players. “We don’t want them to be foolish and initiating contact that’s not necessary.”   To hear the players, including the seemingly indestructible Chase Claypool, Long’s directive was non-negotiable. Those that stuck their nose in there got on the field; those that shied away from contact stood on the sideline with Long, the plainspoken former tight end from North Alabama." 

Texas does NOT need this guy!!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Getafix said:

247 / Tom Loy (ND Mod) / On Chip Long ...

Rest of it:

Reveal hidden contents

What's up guys. Tom Loy from our Notre Dame 247Sports site over at Irish Illustrated.

Just some background info on Long, he clearly knows what he's doing, as he led the Notre Dame offense to a program record for points in a regular season with 445, which equates to 37.1 points per game. The offense was, let's just say not all that enjoyable to watch before Long's arrival. There were a lack of playmakers, the offense was somewhat stale, and they struggled moving the ball. In addition, when looking at identifying successful players or making the tough calls, it was Long that pushed to make the change at quarteback from Brandon Wimbush to Ian Book after the 3-0 start last year just to kickstart the offense. Book went on to a stellar season, the passing game flourished, and he led the Fighting Irish to a 12-0 record before the playoff loss to Clemson.

Also, Long recruited his tail off for Notre Dame this cycle (and in the past) and his results can’t be denied, as he is currently listed at No. 7 overall in the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings for the class of 2020. His recruiting chops shined this cycle and Notre Dame will benefit from his work over the past year. Long was extremely impactful and the primary recruiter for five-star running back Chris Tyree, who was at one point going to go to Oklahoma. Long and running backs coach Lance Taylor teamed up to get that done and flip things back in Notre Dame's favor. He landed arguably the nation’s No. 1 tight end Michael Mayer and secured a pledge from talented four-star tight end Kevin Bauman when the two were once listed No. 1 and No. 2 in the early rankings at 247Sports. He landed one of the most underrated wide receiver prospects this cycle in Xavier Watts, who 247Sports lists as a four-star recruit compared to a three-star on the composite rankings. He also played a big role as a secondary recruiter for other commits such as four-star wide receiver Jordan Johnson, four-star offensive tackles Tosh Baker and Michael Carmody, and four-star quarterback Drew Pyne.

It'll be interesting to see what Texas does on this front, but I know for sure that there is plenty of mutual interest here and it's something to keep an eye.

FCL

• Like 2

But “We’re Texas” shouldn’t we be able to go to the top #1-15 teams in FBS or even FCS and whip out our checkbook? Or better yet put on a ski mask hire some dudes and kidnap some of their coordinators? Think outside the box fuckers. Lol. 

Some may find this thread depressing. It’s cathartic for some of us. Gives us a chance to share our collective rage. 

Save for certain posters telling me and others how to think and post because they are too busy jacking off to the Sugarbowl win over Georgia. 

Wait until about 8 months from now when they are angerbating into a water bottle next to Herman at some low rent strip club between here and Baton Rouge.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Incorrect. I'm just not completely negative like almost everyone else in this thread. Ash is a good coach. Long is a good coach. Whether they can succeed at Texas is immaterial to them being good coaches. It's not like it takes elite coaches to win championships at Texas. Brown got one with Greg Davis.

It was a *couldn’t joke. 

that said, you seem pretty much onboard with anybody with a pulse which is pretty much where I stand. Let’s just get this over and done with. #urban2021

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

So... we have no candidates or we decided on a shitty candidate?

No one worth a shit wants anything to do with Herman’s Hail Mary tour.  Eventually we’ll find people willing to collect checks from the school, though. We’re all looking forward to that day.

• Haha 1

No one worth a shit wants to be forced to run Tom's system, because they would be judged on the results of calling something they don't believe in instead of what they think will work.  It will affect their next job prospect when Tom is fired next year.

We will be relegated to a washed up guy who is on the downside of their career or a glorified intern.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I said it a few weeks back Major makes sense, to Mensa.  Is he the best OC out there? No.  Is he the best option available? Arguable.  Is he the best option for Herman to run HIS offense and have "alignment", yes.  

Mensa has a poor understanding of our past 20 years.  Bringing Greg Davis in before the  OU game to consult.  "He won a National Championship.  The fans will love it and I will tap into his experience with OU".  You would think someone would have told him about the banner.  Contemplating bringing Major back.  "He was a legend at Texas as a QB and the fans and recruits will love it."  You would think someone would have told him about what happened at the Alamo Bowl.

6 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

No one worth a shit wants to be forced to run Tom's system, because they would be judged on the results of calling something they don't believe in instead of what they think will work.  It will affect their next job prospect when Tom is fired next year.

We will be relegated to a washed up guy who is on the downside of their career or a glorified intern.

So your saying Greg Davis has a chance.

I've never met TH but I was so ready to move on from the dumpster-fire that was Strong and he was seemingly the flavor-of-the-month, had direct UT ties and wanted to come here. I have to say my first "hmm moment" was his idiocy at the end of the bowl game win the first year over Mizzou. Not a good look for HC at a program like Texas.

For me, it comes down to the Casey Horney hire. I filed that away as a relevant data point.

This was a BFF hire, and he basically said fuck the optics; I am in charge. I might have forgiven his arrogance and entitlement, but he has taken his antics up to program destroying levels. And yeah, the Traveon Williams-like antics against Mizzou, and his Walking Tall bat antics are stupid looks.

To me, he sounds like he's bipolar - or definitely somewhere on that spectrum. The blindered and entitled arrogance...all classic tells for someone as narcissistic as THerman, but now it's more than just a stupid hire or childlike antics. He's made multiple stupid play calls and thinks our offense is just fine, but when a run or pass can be 'predicted' 75% of the time, the offense is not OK.

I was at the Sugar Bowl, and I did feel the trajectory was positive, but fuck if that didn't last long after the LSU game. And it's not ok to beat Kansas on walk off kicks, VY's heroics not withstanding.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

If we can just get the next VY and 21 future NFL players to play on both sides of the ball we’ll be set. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

It’s extremely impressive how much stupidity you packed into a single post. Bravo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Long sounds like Notre Dame's version of Drew Mehringer... 

Saw this headline, "Brian Kelly dumps Chip Long".  And this quote: "Long’s hard-driving coaching style had begun to grate on some of those around him."  

"Asked back in October about offensive coordinator Chip Long’s ban on running out of bounds, all part of his “seekers of contact” mantra at Notre Dame, coach Brian Kelly stopped short of a full endorsement.   “I think they understand what we’re asking for,” Kelly said of his players. “We don’t want them to be foolish and initiating contact that’s not necessary.”   To hear the players, including the seemingly indestructible Chase Claypool, Long’s directive was non-negotiable. Those that stuck their nose in there got on the field; those that shied away from contact stood on the sideline with Long, the plainspoken former tight end from North Alabama." 

Texas does NOT need this guy!!

Chip Long may suck or not, but am I the only one who thinks running out of bounds is weak? Deliver the blow. It's football...not flag football.  It's about attitude, will and domination.  We have a significant issue with the pussyfication of the game. Drives me crazy.

Hook'em 

7 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I am friends with his brother. He's still alive. Though I haven't actually asked what chuck is doing lately. Think was doing radio stuff. 

Probably an upgrade over the actual coach we're getting. 

“Chuck, this is Tom Herman. I’d like to talk to you about being the next OC at the University of Texas.”

lou.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BigSwingingD said:

Chip Long may suck or not, but am I the only one who thinks running out of bounds is weak? Deliver the blow. It's football...not flag football.  It's about attitude, will and domination.  We have a significant issue with the pussyfication of the game. Drives me crazy.

Hook'em 

Give me the good old days before "concussion protocol" and other nonsense, when real mean would use their head as a battering ram, drool a little bit and get up to do it again. 

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

You guys need to make up your minds. Either we’re flailing or it was predetermined. Which is it?

Well, which is it young feller? You wanton I should freeze or get down on the ground?  Meanen to say, if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop. And if'n I drop, I'ma gonna be in motion.

+++

First he's gonna shit.  Then he's gonna kill us.

+++

I say we kill him!

Yeah!

I say we hang him, *then* we kill him!

Yeah!

I say we stomp him!

Yeah!

Then we tattoo him!

Yeah!

Then we hang him...!

YEAH!'!

And THEN we kill him!

YEAH!'!'!

I say we let him go.

16 minutes ago, BigSwingingD said:

Hook'em 

there are times when running out of bounds is weak.  then there are times when running out of bounds removes you from a vulnerable, season-ending injury. so long as you're not losing significant yardage, i'm all for it.  you're often at a disadvantage in delivering pain when the defender is using the sideline to his leverage.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BigSwingingD said:

Hook'em 

Attitude, will and domination don’t mean shit if you’re on the sidelines wearing jeans because of injury. Nor do they consistently allow you to overcome schematic advantages.

This past season we not only had a rash of injuries due to poor technique on both sides of the ball, we also had opposing teams taunting us pre snap that they knew exactly what we were running. Apparently that wasn’t a problem for the coaching staff, because will and domination and stuff. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BigSwingingD said:

Hook'em 

I disagree.  We have enough non-targeting plays that get called as targeting.  Jumping out at the last second has a tremendous economic impact on the lifespan duration of the players in and out/after football.  3 fewer unnecessary contacts allows that player to take a real shot when it's going to matter (down/distance/score).

4 hours ago, Gigglebush said:

Am I the only one who isnt freaking out about losing a recruit? It happens every time a coaching change happens. I also think its weird to be panicked over 7/8 wins in year 3. I don't see it as a huge regression. 2018 was us being extremely lucky in all facets of the game, most importantly turnovers and injuries. In 2019 we were extremely unlucky. Its not like we had achieved dominance and then lost it. We lost games to 2 playoff teams, Rhule, Campbell and Patterson, with a young and extremely injured defense. We were never a playoff team no matter what this year. All the analysts "underestimating" Texas this year saying we were going to be mediocre were right because of obvious, measurable reasons. So why are people melting down? We will have a new defense and fresh eyes on offense. Our supposed stud WR recruits might actually do something now that Mehringer is gone.

No. Your not the only one not freaking out, however, I think the general concesus is that TH should have had an immediate plan in place. IE...lined up an OC quickly. Losing a few recruits (if we hold on to what we have) is not that bad given the circumstances. We will pay a price.

I disagree with you. 2018 was a huge regression. We lost to TCU and they sucked.  OU was a bad loss (Fuck those dirty, cheating mother fuckers). ISU...was one I thought we would struggle with. We barely beat Kansas (Damn near a Charlie Strong level fuck up). We should NEVER lose to Baylor and they beat us easily. 

I agree with you that Ash should be a huge improvement over Orlando. If the defense was better we would beat TCU, not shit the bed in Dallas, and not lost to ISU. We roll into Waco, having lost only to LSU, and its a different game.

A better defense helps the offense. 

Now, our offense was off.  Will a new OC (even if its one of Hermans suck buddys) help us? Probably.

I thought we would lose to OU and a Herman special...ISU or BU.

Herman is one arrogant son of a bitch. He's grating on me. Thats OK when you win. It is not OK when you go 7 and fucking 5.

K--State was 8-5. Think about that.

Hook'em 

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

I've never met TH but I was so ready to move on from the dumpster-fire that was Strong and he was seemingly the flavor-of-the-month, had direct UT ties and wanted to come here. I have to say my first "hmm moment" was his idiocy at the end of the bowl game win the first year over Mizzou. Not a good look for HC at a program like Texas.

First red flag i remember is when he was still at Houston and called into a local radio station to angrily refute an article about him recruiting Kyle Allen. It just seemed like he made it so unneccesarily personal.

i think it's worth noting that Tom himself said last year's team "played better than they were" or "outperformed expectations"  or some such.  said that a few times during the season.  seems like coach speak but can't recall another coach saying the same about their team in the middle of the season. to give him some cred, he was either trying to downplay the year even as the season was going on (doubtful short term strat) or he was being honest with where we were as a team in regards to fan expectations (probably long term strat).

A little excitement for NSD1 and discussion about the current Texas Longhorns Football offensive coordinator search. Newclear1 will discuss why Graham Harrell is not the right man for the job and a couple alternatives that Tom Herman should look to next.

The 2 OC names he likes are  Memphis OC Kevin Johns & Rhett Lashlee

@LTtxfan

• Fuck You 1

First red flag i remember is when he was still at Houston and called into a local radio station to angrily refute an article about him recruiting Kyle Allen. It just seemed like he made it so unneccesarily personal.

Tbf, radio host John Lopez (aggy) says he reached out to him and invited him on air, then he and his cohost Nick Wright (yah, that one) ambushed him pretty good. One of the most awkward radio moments I've ever heard live.

They (the show and a few others in town) had hammered Herman on air the two days leading up, which also meant making UH look bad, so I'm about 100% sure that the most thinned-skinned mfer in Houston, UH BMD (and now Rockets Owner) Tilman Fertitta arranged a PR spot that went terribly wrong. Tilman is the type to call into radio shows himself unsolicited to defend himself/his teams. It all makes sense.

So yah, Tom's a narcissistic mfer, but that was an ambush from the jump, and knowing Fertitta, he pretty much made Tom call in to begin with. Tom didn't sound like he even wanted to be on.

Basically those are three people I dislike more than Tom, so I'll have his side on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6