2018 Texas Rangers thread

BigDHornfan

8 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

They should bench Odor forever.

Not really - after sitting out a game or two, both he and Gallo seemed a little more determined not to swing at shit pitches Wed night.

We'll have to wait and see how long this lasts. Betting on "not to long".

9 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

They should bench Odor forever.

Not really - after sitting out a game or two, both he and Gallo seemed a little more determined not to swing at shit pitches Wed night.

Who was the dumbass last year that said Odor was basically an equal to Altuve?

You don't get humor like that just anyplace.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

No way.  You are talking $50 million in salary with remainder of 2018 plus two more years.

I think we would have to pay part of the contract. But not the whole thing anymore. I think at the beginning of the year, there was no way we were getting out of this contract without paying all of it or sending a really good prospect along with paying a huge chunk of it

12 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Seven in a row.  Who IS this team?  

One with a healthy Beltre and Andrus? This was probably a .500 team at the beginning the season, then Beltre and Andrus went down for extended periods and it got ugly. It's nice to see Choo finally doing something. We actually have a pretty solid 1-4 lineup right now. It won't happen because of the money we are paying him (Odor) but I'd like to see Profar at 2B and Kiner-Falefa at 3B (when Beltre is DHing). Odor needs to be benched.

Edited by Texas25

I heard on the radio that a media guy from Philly said that the Phillies would be interested in Beltre, Hamels and Kela as a package trade. For their best pitcher they have right now in their farm system which is in AAA. A top OF prospect and another pitcher they have in the farm system.

No idea if anything would happen like that but that's our best bet. We aren't going to get a lot in return if we trade all of them individually in this market. But if a team was willing to take them as a package, we could get a much better return. That would help our pretty weak farm system and we need young pitching in the worst way.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I heard on the radio that a media guy from Philly said that the Phillies would be interested in Beltre, Hamels and Kela as a package trade. For their best pitcher they have right now in their farm system which is in AAA. A top OF prospect and another pitcher they have in the farm system.

No idea if anything would happen like that but that's our best bet. We aren't going to get a lot in return if we trade all of them individually in this market. But if a team was willing to take them as a package, we could get a much better return. That would help our pretty weak farm system and we need young pitching in the worst way.

One of the most difficult positions to fill is that of Closer. Kila looks as though he could be the real deal. Not convinced myself, but I'd hate to see him traded and then it turns out he's a quality closer for the next ten years.

55 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

One of the most difficult positions to fill is that of Closer. Kila looks as though he could be the real deal. Not convinced myself, but I'd hate to see him traded and then it turns out he's a quality closer for the next ten years.

But we are in a rebuild. A closer to a team that will not even be contending is not a priority. Closers are valuable to teams who covet wins and their place in the standings. If another team values him as a closer and willing to give us an asset, you take it. Plus, we all know closers and bullpens in general are so fickle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

But we are in a rebuild. A closer to a team that will not even be contending is not a priority. Closers are valuable to teams who covet wins and their place in the standings. If another team values him as a closer and willing to give us an asset, you take it. Plus, we all know closers and bullpens in general are so fickle. 

He also has two years control, Which makes him very valuable to a playoff team. Not so much for us. I say we try and trade everything we can. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

He also has two years control, Which makes him very valuable to a playoff team. Not so much for us. I say we try and trade everything we can. 

Exactly. I actually think Kela can get you just as good of a return if not slightly better than Hamels. He's cheap and you still have control over him for a few more seasons. And he's pretty damn good. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. I actually think Kela can get you just as good of a return if not slightly better than Hamels. He's cheap and you still have control over him for a few more seasons. And he's pretty damn good. 

He'd pull a good return with his contract situation and his stuff.  He has elite stuff.

I would hate to part with Kela, but yeah, gambling on long term sustainability of a closer is always sketchy at best.

It would have to be for a really top prospect starter, though.

Edited by DougO

I'm not a fan of making any pitcher suffer through a hundred degree game that starts at 2 in the fucking afternoon - much less our "ace". Guess the team figures they'll sell a thousand more tickets than if it were to start at 7PM on a Sunday. Wonder if Hammels will weigh it into the equation when he's looking at a new contract a year, two or five years down the road.

Always had the feeling Cliff Lee didn't like this middle of summer, day-game bullshit when he was here.

9 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I'm not a fan of making any pitcher suffer through a hundred degree game that starts at 2 in the fucking afternoon - much less our "ace". Guess the team figures they'll sell a thousand more tickets than if it were to start at 7PM on a Sunday. Wonder if Hammels will weigh it into the equation when he's looking at a new contract a year, two or five years down the road.

Always had the feeling Cliff Lee didn't like this middle of summer, day-game bullshit when he was here.

Well fortunately they’re building something across the street 

...and, also:

Below is a look at which players from MLB Pipeline's Top 30 International Prospects list have agreed to terms with clubs, and for how much. Unless otherwise noted, clubs have not confirmed the deals.
21. Jose Rodriguez*, C, Venezuela -- Rangers ($2,000,000) More »

Edited by SurlyBDR

5 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Nice 12-pitch at bat by Gallo last night to earn a walk against a tough fast-baller. Too bad Chirinos couldn't straighten out that long foul ball. Decent game, though.

Started not so good, but ended up being interesting.

Gotta take what we can this year.

btw. Vic's discussion above on trades makes sense. Trade em for young talent. Even though that's risky. Does JD have the balls for this. We'll see.

I love how we’ve played against Houston this year. We know they’re the champs but we’ve fought our ass off against them and been pests and annoyed the shit out of them. That’s all you can really ask for. 

Its comforting knowing that we didn’t have to be the worst team in the history of baseball during our rebuild unlike those fuckers.

Edited by TheFlagship
  • Like 1

What the hell was Choo thinking last night, trotting to first base? Cost us an extra shot at a sac fly that would have won the game. Stupid fucking mistake.

Kela must be on the block. He had what... a twelve pitch ninth. He could have easily gone out in the tenth. Either that or Banister is incompetent, or word has come down that we are playing for draft position.

What the hell was Choo thinking last night, trotting to first base? Cost us an extra shot at a sac fly that would have won the game. Stupid fucking mistake.

Kela must be on the block. He had what... a twelve pitch ninth. He could have easily gone out in the tenth. Either that or Banister is incompetent, or word has come down that we are playing for draft position.
Banister has always been shitty when it comes to pitching management, especially the bullpen.

14 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

I love how we’ve played against Houston this year. We know they’re the champs but we’ve fought our ass off against them and been pests and annoyed the shit out of them. That’s all you can really ask for. 

Its comforting knowing that we didn’t have to be the worst team in the history of baseball during our rebuild unlike those fuckers.

Just ran out of innings.