2018 Texas Rangers thread

BigDHornfan

36 minutes ago, futureman said:

oh, an article.  what an airtight argument.  his arm sucks, you dipshit. 

where the MLB manager says the book is to run on him, fuckhead.  You know shit.  Like I said I like him but his arm is average.

Yeah Friday and Sunday were good, entertaining baseball which is all I ask for at this point in the season. Hope Joey’s ankle isn’t too bad and he gets on a hot streak.

Very curious to see what JD and Co have up their sleeves these next 8 days. Getting out of the Choo contract (even if just partially) would be huge for this offseason.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:23 AM, Vic Mackey said:

Delino is one of those players who isn't bad but he doesn't do anything well at all.

I agree that he's not accomplished at hitting, and takes too many risks in the OF, but he is fast and is a stolen base threat (only nine MLB'ers with more stolen bases right now).  So yes, he does do something well, and that's stealing bases.

4 hours ago, Native Horn said:

I agree that he's not accomplished at hitting, and takes too many risks in the OF, but he is fast and is a stolen base threat (only nine MLB'ers with more stolen bases right now).  So yes, he does do something well, and that's stealing bases.

Deshields has also made a few stellar plays in the OF. I think that loss a night back followed by his sitting out a game might have taught him a lesson. Great catches are fine, but there are times when you got to pull up and make the safe play.

So all we really need to do is get his batting average/on base % up. Gallo learns to take advantage of the shift. We get Odor playing good ball from the start of the season. A little more out of Profar, Rua and Chavez. We unload Chu's salary and pick up a couple of killer pitchers, maybe a hitter or two and next year we'll be very competitive. No sweat.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

17 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Deshields has also made a few stellar plays in the OF. I think that loss a night back followed by his sitting out a game might have taught him a lesson. Great catches are fine, but there are times when you got to pull up and make the safe play.

So all we really need to do is get his batting average/on base % up. Gallo learns to take advantage of the shift. We get Odor playing good ball from the start of the season. A little more out of Profar, Rua and Chavez. We unload Chu's salary and pick up a couple of killer pitchers, maybe a hitter or two and next year we'll be very competitive. No sweat.

I'm about as big a Ranger's homer is there is. But, yeah - we're not going to be good at all next year. Maybe worse. Our WAR pitchers - Chavez, Colon, Kela, Minor - There is a decent chance Mike Minor is the only one of those 4 next year. Out best hitters - Choo, Mazara, Profar, Chirinos. We'll only have 1 or 2 of them. We're going to trade as much as we can, but the players we trade aren't getting great starting pitching for next year. They'll be prospects in A ball and hopefully some will pan out for 2020

Can someone that knows more about baseball, trades, free agency, salaries, etc.. explain to me why Hamels wasn't traded last year?  Honest question as I'm wondering why you keep your "ace" and his salary for the next year when you know the team is going to suck ass and rebuild.  Now he's not worth shit.

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Can someone that knows more about baseball, trades, free agency, salaries, etc.. explain to me why Hamels wasn't traded last year?  Honest question as I'm wondering why you keep your "ace" and his salary for the next year when you know the team is going to suck ass and rebuild.  Now he's not worth shit.

Because JD and company make dumb ass decisions as much as they do good ones. Beltre and Hamels should have been dealt last year. I guess I get them wanting Beltre wanting to get the 3k hit with us and we sucked shit so that was a big following but still. But definitely Hamels. It is baffling how he is still here today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

There also wasn't much of a market.  Remember, the two top pitcher signings were signed just before spring training, Yu (signed Feb 12th for 21M/year) Arrieta (signed Mar 11th - 25M/year) Lynn (signed March 12th 12M/year), and Alex Cobb (March 20th - 14M/year). Pitchers and Catchers reports February 14th. 

Hamels has a no trade clause to block about 20 teams. So you were going to need to find a team that A)was one of those 10 teams B) was willing to pick up the 20M salary and give you something decent in return C) the team would only have 1 or 2  years of control so needed to be in contention this year and D) wasn't bidding on Ohtani. 

• Like 1