2018 Texas Rangers thread

BigDHornfan

33 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Jesus--his comments in the Dallas Morning News yesterday that if MLB bans shifts, "I'm going to be nasty again."  Well, fuck you--if MLB banned pitchers from throwing over 60 MPH, I'd be batting .800.  I'm just really good too if you change the rules of the game.

Or--and I'm just spitballing here--you could learn to bunt.  A skill practiced by every little leaguer in America.  They're giving you a fucking single every at bat, and you won't take it.  Because you're lazy and selfish.

And guess what else--as soon as you successfully bunted three or four times in a row, the shift would go away.  No rule changes necessary.  

In short--fuck you, Joey.

I agree with you in principle though your tone is a little aggressive.  he’s still our guy. 

Wait, the MLB is really thinking about banning shifts? That isn't satire? Good fucking lord. That would be like the NFL saying you can't play anything besides a base defense and limited blitzing.

Players should love a shift. The defense is giving you a wide open space to slap a ball to. Take it. I keep hearing the excuses about how it isn't that easy to lay down bunts and whatever. Bullshit. If you are at the MLB level, you should know how to bunt any type of pitch. The shift Gallo gets is unreal especially when you see it in person. I can't fathom how he won't even attempt to bunt to get teams to stop the shift. He's just hurting himself and this team. He's fucking lazy and keeps hitting to where all the defenders are. Idiotic. Hell the shift is so massive, he could probably gently slap a double down the line with ease. But he won't. And people actually defend that shit by saying bunting is hard.

That tells you where he is mentally if he feels he needs the shift to go away to be a good player again. Good lord.

• Like 2

I was actually at the game Sunday in Baltimore and watched him try to bunt one pitch.  It was ridiculous.  He doesn't bend his knees; he stabs at the ball.  He damned near bunted the ball into the upper deck.  Any middle schooler could see a half-dozen things he did wrong.  But somehow he's in the Majors.  

The Padres just got an elite prospect for two (really good) controllable relief pitchers, which sets the market for guys like Kela, Claudio, Diekman, etc. 

i think we match up best with the Phillies who have some good prospects and need bullpen help and a LHP. Send Hamels back there with Kela and Diekman and I think we could get a good (but maybe not elite) prospect and then some other decent guys.

I went to a game Labor Day weekend in 2016 against the Astros. When we were really good. My friend got some seats in LF lower level. Never again. It was miserable. We only lasted 6 innings until we gave up and went to the bar right behind us. It was about 100 and no breeze at all.

55 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Very poor decision by ownership to cheap out when building the ballpark. Not sure if design has changed much in the past 25 years, either. So what they are building now could have been built then. 

I thought the roof tech was still a few years off (like less than 5) when they built the Ballpark, which was why they didn't look at closing it in then.  Safeco broke ground in '97, opened in '99 and AFAIK was the first with a roof like they're building now.

2 hours ago, dark54555 said:

I thought the roof tech was still a few years off (like less than 5) when they built the Ballpark, which was why they didn't look at closing it in then.  Safeco broke ground in '97, opened in '99 and AFAIK was the first with a roof like they're building now.

Well, that's not right, because SkyDome was built four years before the Ballpark.  

The real problem was a lack of imagination on the part of the Ballpark's architects in marrying a retractable roof with a vintage-style ballpark.  You see it done very effectively at Safeco and other places, and HKS just did a really shitty job of figuring that out. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well, that's not right, because SkyDome was built four years before the Ballpark.  

The real problem was a lack of imagination on the part of the Ballpark's architects in marrying a retractable roof with a vintage-style ballpark.  You see it done very effectively at Safeco and other places, and HKS just did a really shitty job of figuring that out. 

But SkyDome is a turf field.  Safeco is grass.  SkyDome was (at that point) also a recent complete construction nightmare and financial nightmare.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I went to a game Labor Day weekend in 2016 against the Astros. When we were really good. My friend got some seats in LF lower level. Never again. It was miserable. We only lasted 6 innings until we gave up and went to the bar right behind us. It was about 100 and no breeze at all.

Went to the Beltre 3,000 Hit game and it was the same. We were on the first base side, but just outside of the shade. I had my bachelor party the night before and I came really close to passing out when we walked back to the car. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Went to the Beltre 3,000 Hit game and it was the same. We were on the first base side, but just outside of the shade. I had my bachelor party the night before and I came really close to passing out when we walked back to the car. 

I was at that game, too. We were in the home run porch in those all you can eat seats. Under the shade the whole time. Wasn't that in August?

Edited by Vic Mackey

I'm a season ticket holder. My upper deck seats are terrible during hot weather. Even when it's a night game those seats are still recovering from being in an oven all day long. I don't go to day games at the temple because of that. It's tough reselling those tickets in the summer, doesn't matter if the team is winning or not.

Caught my first game of the year tonight.  Gallo bombed big twice but couldn't get a hit  to win it with them loaded near the end.  I assume Kela wasn't available to stay the extra inning cause Moore threw meatballs, it seemed to me.

Better game than I expected.  Tough loss to a nice Indians squad.