2018 Texas Rangers thread

BigDHornfan

Nice play by Chirinos in the eighth, keeping that ball in bounds and getting the easy out. He made another a few innings earlier on a dribbler in front of the plate.

You should be banned from ever posting in any baseball discussion ever again. You probably call runs points.

In fucking bounds. Holy shit!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Link? I was not able to watch after the 2nd inning. 

I'm sure you'll get a link, but in the meantime...

Bases loaded. Low liner near the bag. Profar gets it on a short hop and goes to tag third. Runner on third apparently thought he caught it before the bounce and went back to third. He steps on the bag, but unfortunately for him, he couldn't keep his balance and fell backwards. Profar tags the bag from his knees, tags him, turns around. He's got a runner trapped between second and third. He throws to Elvis, I think, who instead of running down that guy, goes after the runner between first and second. He goes out of the baseline. Inning over.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I'm sure you'll get a link, but in the meantime...

Bases loaded. Low liner near the bag. Profar gets it on a short hop and goes to tag third. Runner on third apparently thought he caught it before the bounce and went back to third. He steps on the bag, but unfortunately for him, he couldn't keep his balance and fell backwards. Profar tags the bag from his knees, tags him, turns around. He's got a runner trapped between second and third. He throws to Elvis, I think, who instead of running down that guy, goes after the runner between first and second. He goes out of the baseline. Inning over.

Not exactly. As you described, the bases were loaded. Profar fields the grounder right next to third base and steps on third for the force out, he then tags the runner who had been at third (who ran back to the base but then stepped off) for the secound out. He throws to Odor covering second for the force out, for out three. Odor then ran over to tag the runner between first and second, but he didn’t need to as the third out had already been made. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

They didn’t need to go after him, he was the first out. 

You're right. What fooled me was Profar raising his arms calling for the ball. He was thinking the same thing. It was a weird play all around. And yeah, Odor did step on the bag. I missed that, probably because then Odor tries to run down the guy.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

The one fuckin' game I didn't watch this year...

You missed a pretty good one. The first five or six Angel batters singled. It was looking pretty grim at that point. And of course, in the eighth, we had the customary loading of the bases with no outs - and then two hitters struck out. Fortunately Choo walked on a 3-2 pitch to tie it up and keep the inning alive.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:09 PM, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

They didn’t need to go after him, he was the first out. 

What happened when the man on third retreated to third base before Profar stepped on third or tagged him? The runner on second heading to third was out automatically out, out number 1?

6 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

What happened when the man on third retreated to third base before Profar stepped on third or tagged him? The runner on second heading to third was out automatically out, out number 1?

Profar made the mistake of touching third base first. That was the first out. That made the guy on third no longer a force out so, luckily, he fell off the bag for the second out when Profar tagged him. Then Profar threw to Odor on second base who got the force out of Calhoun running from first to second.

I give Profar a lot of credit- really heads up plays by him. He kept all the outs straight in his head and did exactly what he needed to do to get all three outs.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

I give Profar a lot of credit- really heads up plays by him. He kept all the outs straight in his head and did exactly what he needed to do to get all three outs.

Except he really has no clue what was going on. He got lucky none of the runners knew wtf was going on. Playing third with bases loaded you should know what to do. After he threw to second he was calling for the ball when the runner was coming at him even though he has just forced him out and created the third out.
  • Fuck You 1

51 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Am I just seeing it wrong that it looks like the runner on third made it back to the bag first?

Either way, doesn’t Odor just have to touch second for the third out? He’s practicly tanding on the bag.

It didn't matter whether the runner on third beat Profar to the base, had he stayed on the bag, he would have been safe. But he lost his balance. Unfortunately, we don't know for sure why he went back to the bag. Had he taken off for home, Profar would have had a decision to make - throw home to get the sure out (a tag would have been necessary) or throw to second and hope they could turn the triple play.

I see that happen a lot and the run usually scores, even when you only need a double play to end the inning. That frustrates me, because when you need a double play, by far the safer bet is to throw home, get the force there and let the catcher throw to first. You don't see that much any more, even though it guarantees that the run won't score.

7 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Except he really has no clue what was going on. He got lucky none of the runners knew wtf was going on. Playing third with bases loaded you should know what to do. After he threw to second he was calling for the ball when the runner was coming at him even though he has just forced him out and created the third out.

It looked to me like profar put his hands up to say, don’t throw back to me

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You don’t turn a 5-4-3 triple play on a ball that you have to dive to get. 

It's hard enough to pull one if you don't dive for the ball, but Profar might have tried. That's what I was saying. In the case where the guy at third goes home, the first priority has to be making sure that run doesn't score (unless you're ahead by four or five runs).

As far as Profar waving his arms, it looked more like a "throw me the ball" wave.

In any case, Profar made it all happen by not fucking around.

Not sure how else to put this but I’m really wondering if some of you guys have ever played or coached baseball/softball beyond a tball level.

Bases loaded no outs you’re playing for two there. Corners are even with the bag and playing for two in the middle. Ball hit at or back hand to 3b he goes to his bag then home for the tag unless the runner screws up and comes back to the bag. If runner comes back you tag the runner and then the bag.

22 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Not sure how else to put this but I’m really wondering if some of you guys have ever played or coached baseball/softball beyond a tball level.

Bases loaded no outs you’re playing for two there. Corners are even with the bag and playing for two in the middle. Ball hit at or back hand to 3b he goes to his bag then home for the tag unless the runner screws up and comes back to the bag. If runner comes back you tag the runner and then the bag.

This.

I know this season is over, but this team is really fun to watch again. Young uns making good showing. 

12 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

fist yourself 

1 hour ago, Fudbelty said:

If it's two outs to end the inning, and the third baseman has to take more than a step to third, he should throw to home for the force. The catcher then throws to first to end the inning. I've seen it done a thousand times - not so much lately. You don't want to worry about having to tag someone or getting it to the catcher a half second before the runner slides into him.