2018 Texas Rangers thread

BigDHornfan

So, Jeffrey Spring looked pretty good in his MLB debut last night. He walked the first batter and let a run score with a wild pitch in the 6th, came back with a perfect 7th.  3Ks in 2.0 innings. I did a twitter search on his name and noticed that his account is set to private. I have no idea if it was always private and changed when he got called up.  I wonder if teams are telling some players to lock down their accounts when they get called up in order to delete anything objectionable. 

1 hour ago, Dr Fear said:

So, Jeffrey Spring looked pretty good in his MLB debut last night. He walked the first batter and let a run score with a wild pitch in the 6th, came back with a perfect 7th.  3Ks in 2.0 innings. I did a twitter search on his name and noticed that his account is set to private. I have no idea if it was always private and changed when he got called up.  I wonder if teams are telling some players to lock down their accounts when they get called up in order to delete anything objectionable. 

He looked damn good. Weren't they saying that his strike out rate was near double the average in the league? It wasn't velocity, that's for sure. Wondering if there's something unique about his delivery that was giving batters trouble.

11 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

He looked damn good. Weren't they saying that his strike out rate was near double the average in the league? It wasn't velocity, that's for sure. Wondering if there's something unique about his delivery that was giving batters trouble.

Banny was saying he has a ++ changeup, and that his arm slot is so identical on both FB and Change that it's extremely hard for even Major League players to match it. 

Was anyone else surprised and disappointed to see that Choo wasn't shipped off before the deadline?  I figured with his recent hot streak, some team would be willing to accept his shit contract if it got them another decent bat in the lineup.

20 minutes ago, Assman said:

Was anyone else surprised and disappointed to see that Choo wasn't shipped off before the deadline?  I figured with his recent hot streak, some team would be willing to accept his shit contract if it got them another decent bat in the lineup.

Contract just too shitty. 

If Choo can stay hot there's a chance he could get traded in coming weeks. He should have little problem getting through waives with that contract. Rangers can pay a chunk of it to a team that's seriously in contention but seriously needs another hitter.

Most teams know he will soon revert back to the mean.

Well, the majority of the season has been at least fun to watch some of the younger guys step up and play well (aside from the massive Delino slide and the all too frequent Gallo multi-K efforts) and the oldies just seeming timeless.  Not fun to watch them lose this much, but if we can get some solid starting pitching we’ll be competitive quickly 

Lots of ups and downs w/ this team over the season.  More of the latter obviously.  But they're damn easy to like because of how hard they play and how resilient they are.   Get mowed down by Oakland at home and take a bus ride to Houston and sweep the champs.  And they've continued from there.

I moved to Houston a little over two years ago. Having been a life long rangers fan it was a little weird at first. Of course most of my friends here and my wife are Astros fans, but even though I grew up a ranger i now own a couple Astros shirts since we go to the games so often. Went to the parade and had a great time and all that, too.

Then last Saturday happened while we were at the game. I realized that even though we go to several Astros games year and it’s fun to root for the Home team and all that, those damn rangers still pull at my heart strings. 

This is a fun team to watch if only for the fact that most of these dudes are young and will make up the better part of our team when they’re finally good again. Sorry for staying off the path. Rangers for life!

33 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Dude. Wait. Whut?

The only time I've ever purchased or worn the jersey/shirt of another team was when VY was drafted by the Titans.  You must do 20 Hail Mary's.

no shit.  I don’t care if I move to that coastal backwater tomorrow, I’m only buying astros shirts if I run out of toilet paper.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Lots of ups and downs w/ this team over the season.  More of the latter obviously.  But they're damn easy to like because of how hard they play and how resilient they are.   Get mowed down by Oakland at home and take a bus ride to Houston and sweep the champs.  And they've continued from there.

Agree man. The last few weeks have made this season more palatable too with Rougie being good again, Gallo hitting mega bombs, Elvis and Adrian playing together, and then trading the guys that needed to be for needed pitching prospects. Even Choo staying healthy is big since it increases the chances we can offload his contract soon.

Rougie being good though is so important given we’re committed to him for a while. 

4 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Agree man. The last few weeks have made this season more palatable too with Rougie being good again, Gallo hitting mega bombs, Elvis and Adrian playing together, and then trading the guys that needed to be for needed pitching prospects. Even Choo staying healthy is big since it increases the chances we can offload his contract soon.

Rougie being good though is so important given we’re committed to him for a while. 

This and what Wally wrote. The last week or so has made up for the season. Odor turn around has been most impressive.

Was at Frisco game Fri and enjoyed the pitching.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:09 AM, futureman said:

any chance elvis slides out to third and prof takes over at ss?

Assuming IKF is our starting catcher next year, then I think Profar goes to third (also, assuming Beltre retires or mostly DHs). I don't believe Elvis has ever played 3rd in a major league game.

I would like to see Chirinos back for another year. He's a solid catcher, has spells of being really good. Even when he's in one of his frequent cold hitting spells he seems useful on the team. K-F is really valuable as a swiss army knife type that can catch a lot of games.

13 hours ago, DougO said:

I would like to see Chirinos back for another year. He's a solid catcher, has spells of being really good. Even when he's in one of his frequent cold hitting spells he seems useful on the team. K-F is really valuable as a swiss army knife type that can catch a lot of games.

My thoughts, exactly.

14 hours ago, DougO said:

Yes to this. Chirinos also has shown some power and I like his attitude.

Profar has really improved this year and his attitude also. Accepting being a utility player (this year) is a huge plus. Can see him taking over at third. Has to work on his throws. 

Beltre staying will benefit all the young players. 

Forgot to add that IKF's contributions have been great, along with Guzman at first.

Edited by EastTexan

Beating the Yankees will ALWAYS make me feel good, I don't give a fuck how bad of a season we're having. It's like when the Cowboys won one game all year and it was against the Redskins. 

And the young guys on this team are really starting to show up. The future may not be as bleak as it seemed a couple of months ago.