2018 Texas Rangers thread

BigDHornfan

14 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Odor is 0 for 5 on a night when the Rangers score 12. It’s time to get him the fuck out of here. Average is down to .182; needs to be sent down to figure things out.

He's been crap since about the time he got the horses. Beltre needs to bitch slap him around. If he has and it's not  working send him down.

Profar has improved over what he was a couple years ago. Needs to learn to  throw the damn ball to first base on a line.

Really impressed with IKF.  Be nice if he continues to improve and not flame out like most of Rangers prospects. Same with Guzman, showing improvement.

Now Odor is a different story. He just sucks now. May never be worth a shit. Definitely not what they paid him.

With all of this, other positions, pitching, it's gonna be a while  before it'll be meaningful baseball for the Rangers.

Also would like to see some guys in the bullpen step up so we can make some trades. Really no need to have a good bullpen on a bad team.

I do think a young core of position players is developing around Maz, Gallo (tho he’s taken a step back so far), IKF and Guzman. I used to consider Odor as a part of that group but something is seriously wrong with him mentally. Not sure what to make of Profar yet. Don’t think he’s good enough to play SS defensively. 

7 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Also would like to see some guys in the bullpen step up so we can make some trades. Really no need to have a good bullpen on a bad team.

I do think a young core of position players is developing around Maz, Gallo (tho he’s taken a step back so far), IKF and Guzman. I used to consider Odor as a part of that group but something is seriously wrong with him mentally. Not sure what to make of Profar yet. Don’t think he’s good enough to play SS defensively. 

Add DeSheilds and Calhoun in there. Also, Kela is looking legit as a closer. Now we just need 5 starting pitchers.....

Guzman's showing signs of becoming a force. Don't see any reason to play Rua at first unless it is to give Guzman a rest. Rua vs. Gallo in left field? Gallo has a slight edge. Some of Rua's swings make me wonder if he needs glasses.

Still don't think Kela is a long term solution at Closer, but maybe with some more confidence/experience.

Profar's defense is pretty good, but he's got to get control of his throws. Seems it was an injury to his right shoulder or right arm that took him out of the lineup for a year or so. The strength is back, but the accuracy is a problem.

Odor is on the fence. He's making better contact. We'll see where he stands in a couple of weeks. Kindof Falafel is at .263. Odor .193. Big difference.

6 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Profar's defense is pretty good, but he's got to get control of his throws. Seems it was an injury to his right shoulder or right arm that took him out of the lineup for a year or so. The strength is back, but the accuracy is a problem.

He was the set up man for Choo in the top of the 10th with absolute gems @Goo Punch for out #'s 2 and 3 today 

Edited by SurlyBDR

Hopefully Beltre and Hamels can fetch us some promising young starting pitchers.  Guzman, Kiner-Falefa, Deshields, and Mazara is a good young nucleus to build around.  I guess Gallo and Profar as well??  

Maybe Colon and/or Fister could bring us a decent piece as well.  Moore and Perez aren't long term pieces.  I like Minor though.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Willie Calhoun seems like he kinda sucks 

Willie Calhoun is the Texas Rangers’ top prospect and one of the more well-regarded hitting prospects in baseball. It would seem, however, that we still have some time before we’ll see him in the big leagues on a permanent basis. At least based on what happened over the weekend.

Calhoun was pulled from a game at Triple-A Round Rock on Sunday for failing to run hard on a grounder. Later, Rangers big league manager Jeff Banister said this in response: “Play hard … run down the line hard. It’s the effort you’re giving your teammates. Once the bat leaves your hands, you’re working for your teammates. That’s the identity you want to have in your organization.” So, yes, it sounds like the whole organization is on board with that benching.

5 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Don't look now, but we just took two from the team with the fourth best record in the American League. I heard Seattle was one of the hottest teams in baseball.

Yes. Went to sleep on both wins. Maybe need to make this a habit. Damn left coast games.

15 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

If you are a fan of the putrid, Odor is still there for you!

I believe that he was one of the culprits who went 0 for 3 with the bases loaded in the 7th or 8th last night, but he made a pretty good defensive play or two late on hard hit balls. His pop-ups and strike outs piss me off, but he seems to be making better contact the last ten days or so. Banny is leaving him in.

31 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

If you are a fan of the putrid, Odor is still there for you!

I've largely overlooked Odor in favor of admiring IKF's hitting the ball through the right side on a H&R, Mazara's continued improvement, especially against lefties, and Guzman's newfound patience and approach (as well as outstanding defense).  

Trade rumors for Hamels

#Rangers and #Yankees Cole Hamels trade talks are centered around RHP Chance Adams and INF Thairo Estrada + two lower level prospects. Estrada has potential to be a valuable starter but is blocked by Torres, Gregorius, Andujar/Drury. #Rangers like Adams as relief pitcher.

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I hope that a reliever prospect and another middle infielder isn’t the best we can do for an experienced starting pitcher. 

agreed.  we don't need a middle infielder unless we can figure out how to get rid of Odor and his contract or are going to try to get something for profar