Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint: expense account whiskey and steaks don’t suck. All of that consumed with someone other than the same family members every day doesn’t suck. Road trip Whataburger doesn’t suck. Airport bar drinking sessions checking out the talent don’t suck.

I’m kind of torn and have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I like traveling to places and meeting people and drinking in hotel bars. On the other hand, I realize now that the actual work part is far easier and more efficient to do by zoom with maybe a few exceptions. 

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I’m kind of torn and have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I like traveling to places and meeting people and drinking in hotel bars. On the other hand, I realize now that the actual work part is far easier and more efficient to do by zoom with maybe a few exceptions. 

Man, I miss being around my colleagues and clients.  My work is very collaborative, and often personal.

Also, travelling helps clear my damned mind sometimes.

Last week I went to Corpus for work. First time in a year that I was able to get out of my car, walk into a restaurant, sit down, eat, and leave, all without wearing a fucking mask. I liked it. It’s not that wearing a mask is cumbersome or that “muh rights”, it’s that I’m fucking tired of not seeing people’s faces, and to a lesser degree not being able to hear people clearly. My hearing is kind of bad, plus I’m not a native English speaker, so it’s already difficult enough to understand what people say without masks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Last week I went to Corpus for work. First time in a year that I was able to get out of my car, walk into a restaurant, sit down, eat, and leave, all without wearing a fucking mask. I liked it. It’s not that wearing a mask is cumbersome or that “muh rights”, it’s that I’m fucking tired of not seeing people’s faces, and to a lesser degree not being able to hear people clearly. My hearing is kind of bad, plus I’m not a native English speaker, so it’s already difficult enough to understand what people say without masks.

You’re from Louisiana?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

That's a good point.  My Spanish is very good, but it's been a huge issue for me trying to understand Spanish with others in masks.  I didn't realize how much of a cue I take from watching people's mouths when they speak Spanish to know what they are saying.  And just English has been a pain in the ass. 

Like you, my hearing isn't great when it comes to people talking.  I can pinpoint a music note or the direction from which a noise is coming from, but humans talking has always been a challenge for me especially if they're not facing directly at me.  And the masks have compounded that.  On an almost daily basis, I have to ask multiple times for someone to repeat something.  

One thing my wife and I have noticed after well over a year (she's a Master's Degree with honors holding Speech-Language Pathologist who has been published) of people in masks is that most people, especially adults, are using far less filler words when they speak behind a mask.  She's spoken with her clinical team about it and they all agree that in everything from speech therapy sessions to grocery store interactions to chatting with neighbors, from kids to grown adults...categorically people are speaking with less filler words (like, so, you know, et. al.). 

No solid hypothesis yet as the mask itself does not mandate an economy of words.  It could be a subconscious effort by the speaker whose brain realizes this other listener can't pickup on many of my facial cues so my body language and my specific vocabulary must make up the difference.  Also, those filler words are often used to signal the listener, "I'm still like, talking. I like, don't know what like I'm gonna say next because I talk like a 14 year old girl at like the mall...but it's still my turn so you stay quiet and I'll, like...let you know."  But behind the mask, your mouth may still be open but the listener can't see that so you are tacitly forced in an economy of sounds.  Why say "So" and "Like" ten times in a paragraph when you can just use the words you wanted to say?  We're already seen this on gameshows and psychology and marketing studies...when you can't see the person speaking to you in total, they realize that and will often speak to you more economically and tactically.  The mask is another version of that but it's almost every single in-person interaction.  It'll make for a very interesting study...and one that I hope continues because most adults speak far closer to an  apathetic teenager than they do to an educated, confident adult. 

21 hours ago, Hate said:

We’ve picked up food and been out and about to friends’ houses and things like that. We’ve eaten at a couple of places on the patio, but that’s about it. It worked for us as neither of us got Covid and we’ve both had one shot now. The finish line is close. I’m ready for things to be normal again and last night was a big step towards that for us.

Do you have comorbidities?  Are you army brat old?  Are you a great big fat person like me?  
I ask because I’m just curious about why you measure isolation for a year as worth avoiding covid. 
It’s not a right or wrong decision- it’s just something I find fascinating when I see it in more or less 20-50 year olds that if they get the Rona will probably have it be no big deal. Risk aversion and risk tolerance is fascinating to me. 

19 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I'm so thirsty to travel that I'm actually excited about business trips. Got Atlanta burbs and Cincy in April and I can't wait. My clients with one exception are all pretty bad ass people and I haven't been alone in over a year. Might even get wild and have drinks until 10pm.

Being on the road business traveling while your wife stays home with the new baby is one of the greatest joys in  Life as a business man. Just make sure you tell her about how much you miss them and don’t let her see you smile or the spring in your step. 
watching nba playoff games while sitting in your gym shorts while not having to worry about dealing with a cranky baby or hormonal wife is bliss. Enjoy my man, enjoy. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There will be lots of people lining to buy one and put in their prayer corner with the votive candles. 

Still blows my mind makes me laugh that the governor of Michigan 1) has an Anthony Fauci pillow and 2) put it in her Zoom background (which of course gets 10/10 from Room Rater).

It's a cult.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

There will be lots of people lining to buy one and put in their prayer corner with the votive candles. 

Or just ordering one online to read to their kids because it's an inspirational story that celebrates science.  Prayer to candles is a form of idolatry.  Idolatry really reared its ugly head in the last few years in America.  I thought it purely an organized religion issue.  Oh no, it managed to permeate deep, deep into our political realm as well.  

Do y'all dudes throw tantrums and roll around hysterically in the parking lot when your Doctor tells you to eat healthy and drink less too? He knows you aren't gonna do that shit either but it's just the nature of a doctor to advise you to be safe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Or just ordering one online to read to their kids because it's an inspirational story that celebrates science. 

If you want to show your kids an inspirational story that celebrates science, you can share the following. Side benefit, focus on the UT lab that played a substantial role in making the vaccines possible. If you want to introduce them to the intersection of politics and science and the blurred lines between public health messaging and propaganda, feel free to do the book instead. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Do y'all dudes throw tantrums and roll around hysterically in the parking lot when your Doctor tells you to eat healthy and drink less too? He knows you aren't gonna do that shit either but it's just the nature of a doctor to advise you to be safe.

Dem docs be messin with muh freedoms!!! 

19 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'd laugh and roll my eyes if my doctor told me to never eat red meat.  I certainly wouldn't put his face on a votive candle and prostrate repeatedly in front of it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I'd laugh and roll my eyes if my doctor told me to never eat red meat.  I certainly wouldn't put his face on a votive candle and prostrate repeatedly in front of it.  

Yeah that would be weird.

However you could sell dry cow turds in a box for 19.99 and if you put a National tv advertisement for it somebody would buy it. What would compel someone to buy a fauci anything is beyond me but it happens. 

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah- didn’t put that fucking prick in charge of my life either though. 
If what you are saying is doctors shouldn’t be in charge of complex calculations involving a billion different factors way beyond their profession then yes- I agree. 
mite not Fauci’s fault he’s a scold- it’s America’s fault for investing in him the power to tell us what the fuck we should do as a country. 
it’s like giving a lawyer decisions making powers for your business. That’s a really fucking dumb idea too. You tell them to stay in their lane, give guidance only about their subject matter expertise and then do what you are going to do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If what you are saying is doctors shouldn’t be in charge of complex calculations involving a billion different factors way beyond their profession then yes- I agree. 
mite not Fauci’s fault he’s a scold- it’s America’s fault for investing in him the power to tell us what the fuck we should do as a country. 
it’s like giving a lawyer decisions making powers for your business. That’s a really fucking dumb idea too. You tell them to stay in their lane, give guidance only about their subject matter expertise and then do what you are going to do. 

Exactly. You don't pay lawyers to tell you how to run your business. You pay them to tell you what the risks are and then decide whether or not its worth the risk or not.

Same thing with scientists.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Exactly. You don't pay lawyers to tell you how to run your business. You pay them to tell you what the risks are and then decide whether or not its worth the risk or not.

Same thing with scientists.

Yep. Morons on the left and in the media are getting that completely wrong to our detriment. Morons on the right are pretending it doesn’t exist or is a conspiracy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Make sure you wear 3 masks.  

• Haha 1

Doesn’t seem like lockdowns do any good to me.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virus-fight-stalls-early-hot-140524851.html

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — A year after becoming a global epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, New York and New Jersey are back atop the list of U.S. states with the highest rates of infection.

Even as the vaccination campaign has ramped up, the number of new infections in New Jersey has crept up by 37% in a little more than a month, to about 23,600 every seven days. About 54,600 people in New York tested positive for the virus in the last week, a number that has begun to inch up recently.

The two states now rank No. 1 and 2 in new infections per capita among U.S. states. New Jersey has been reporting about 647 new cases for every 100,000 residents over the past 14 days. New York has averaged 548.

25 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — A year after becoming a global epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, New York and New Jersey are back atop the list of U.S. states with the highest rates of infection.

Even as the vaccination campaign has ramped up, the number of new infections in New Jersey has crept up by 37% in a little more than a month, to about 23,600 every seven days. About 54,600 people in New York tested positive for the virus in the last week, a number that has begun to inch up recently.

The two states now rank No. 1 and 2 in new infections per capita among U.S. states. New Jersey has been reporting about 647 new cases for every 100,000 residents over the past 14 days. New York has averaged 548.

Check out Brazil. Only country on the planet handling this worse than us.

Do you have comorbidities?  Are you army brat old?  Are you a great big fat person like me?  
I ask because I’m just curious about why you measure isolation for a year as worth avoiding covid. 
It’s not a right or wrong decision- it’s just something I find fascinating when I see it in more or less 20-50 year olds that if they get the Rona will probably have it be no big deal. Risk aversion and risk tolerance is fascinating to me. 

While I am not fat, I did gain the Covid 15 (pounds) working from home. I don’t have any other comorbidities either although I am 51. I just felt like it wasn’t worth the risk as there is more than enough evidence that healthy people died from Covid even if it was rare.

He's not in charge of your life, tard. Greg Abbott is. Getting mad at Fauci is like getting mad at Colin Cowherd or some shit. He's a talking head, nothing more. I'm on record saying Fauci isn't good at his job, but the constant weeping vagina bullshit from the disingenuous snowflake right is ridiculous. Stop fucking crying. He's a doctor spokesperson that has no business acumen. The only influence he has on your life is when he gets you all butthurt.
If you turn cable news brainworm bullshit off, he will have no influence on anything in your life.
But then you'd have nothing to whine about and where would that leave you?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

He's not in charge of your life, tard. Greg Abbott is. Getting mad at Fauci is like getting mad at Colin Cowherd or some shit. He's a talking head, nothing more. I'm on record saying Fauci isn't good at his job, but the constant weeping vagina bullshit from the disingenuous snowflake right is ridiculous. Stop fucking crying. He's a doctor spokesperson that has no business acumen. The only influence he has on your life is when he gets you all butthurt.
If you turn cable news brainworm bullshit off, he will have no influence on anything in your life.
But then you'd have nothing to whine about and where would that leave you?

I don’t even watch cable news. This (and I’m almost never on this forum, or talking to relatives when I can’t avoid it or change the subject quickly enough) is literally the only interaction I have with any of this shit. 
I’ve literally seen the vast majority of this country since Covid started. It’s so fucking sad. I’ve got friends and relatives who still don’t have the option to send their  kids to in person school.  None of that would have happened without alarmist dickheads avoiding actually looking at data or doing a cost benefit analysis of what we have with Covid. 
this is a thing that disproportionately kills old and/or sick people while kids literally shrug it off like it’s nothing and shockingly don’t really pass the thing on. 
Giving over our decision making to “teh scienze!” Without empirical data on so much or any kind of cost benefit analysis is Going to leave scars on so many that may never heal. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Are you saying that NY and NJ are currently in lockdown?  (“Lockdown” is such a misnomer anyway, nobody is confined to their home/property or disallowed from gathering with other people)

I assumed they had backed off of that a while ago but don’t care enough to look myself. 

23 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The ones that say if you properly wear a cloth mask, which no one does, covid transmission may be reduced by two percent?

That’s some game changing shit right there.  

That's where I think there is a lot of rationale disconnect in the mask question. Of course, properly fitted, medical grade masks will help. But virtually no one is properly fitting, medical-grade masks. Dr. Fauci said a year ago that cloth masks probably do more harm than good for the reasons you noted - people play with them then touch their faces and other items in public as well as the false sense of security risk. Once it became a political football and critical virtue signal, all reasonable discussion went out the door. Now masks basically are political theater. That being said, I still happily wear mine.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That's where I think there is a lot of rationale disconnect in the mask question. Of course, properly fitted, medical grade masks will help. But virtually no one is properly fitting, medical-grade masks. Dr. Fauci said a year ago that cloth masks probably do more harm than good for the reasons you noted - people play with them then touch their faces and other items in public as well as the false sense of security risk. Once it became a political football and critical virtue signal, all reasonable discussion went out the door. Now masks basically are political theater. That being said, I still happily wear mine.

All of this, except replace happily wear with begrudgingly wear. I don’t like doing pointless shit with virtually no efficacy bc it makes people feel better. Such is life living in civilization I suppose. I basically wear my mask when in Harris county and walk around with it in my pocket in Montgomery county. That puts me solidly in the main of  the majority of people where I happen to be. 

The full story should be up later tonight or tomorrow on their website and will post when it's up, but (giving credit where credit is due) 60 Minutes dropped the people's elbow on China and the Worthless World Health Organization.  It's absolutely appalling that the WHO is taking China at their word in all this and agreed to China's ridiculous demands before they were allowed to "investigate."   

And here it is - 

What happened in Wuhan? Why questions still linger on the origin of the coronavirus - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Edited by Message Board User

Make sure you wear 3 masks.  

Nothing about the studies, at least the ones I've linked, mentions proper usage. They are real world analyses of places that have universal mask usage vs. those that don't. Real world. If you had read them, you'd know.

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

As easily the stupidest poster on the daily texan (sorry workswithseed), I congratulate you for being correct one time.

Your post contradicts your assertion.

Edited by Kyle

On 3/27/2021 at 11:17 AM, Hate said:

We ate at a restaurant for this first time in several months last night.  We had to wait about 10 minutes outside, but I would guess only about 20% of the people were wearing masks while waiting outside.  There was zero social distancing either.  We were wearing our masks and tried to stay away from people, but it was damn near impossible to do.  It was great to be out and feel normal again. 

RIP in peace.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away