Michael Cohen Investigation

DanTheHorn

Just now, Tuco said:

I'm confused as to why he is involved in Wood's court at all.  Daniels' lawsuit has been put on hold, the case before Woods is criminal, right?  What is Avenatti's position/role in front of her?  To gain access to the evidence in a discovery-type deal?  As her advocate since some of the files may involve her contract with Cohen?

He used that LLC slush fund for all of the money funneling/laundering including the Stormy payment?  I don't know.

Here's some other interesting tidbits from an attorney in the courtroom today. 

Avenatti got a smackdown from judge wood. If he wants to represent Daniels in NY, he'll have to stop the public relations campaign. 

Edited by Pods

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I bet Broidy was a patsy for that abortion coverup story.  $10 it was Donald.

There was a refresher story on this last week.  No new info, just putting  the profiles together and made a case that it might be Trump.  Not really my point, but that was only a week ago and seems like we've had 10 scandals since then.

That Trump guy is more than famous..hes in-famous.2131159f78be3d8fe8ddd7105e9286ce.jpg

Broidy is the obvious fall guy for Trump’s abortion but the fall Broidy took was actually a bribe, which is exactly what Elliot Broidy does for a living.

Of course I don’t have a link for this but all the evidence is out there to draw this reasonable conclusion.

18 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I'm confused as to why he is involved in Wood's court at all.  Daniels' lawsuit has been put on hold, the case before Woods is criminal, right?  What is Avenatti's position/role in front of her?  To gain access to the evidence in a discovery-type deal?  As her advocate since some of the files may involve her contract with Cohen?

Good summary here:

No More ‘Publicity Tour’: Judge Kimba Wood Sends Stern Message to Michael Avenatti

Michael Avenatti had an interesting day in court on Wednesday at the Southern District of New York (SDNY) during the latest hearing on the slowly-unfolding Michael Cohen affair. Once again, he was the subject of scorn from opposing counsel and received scant sympathy from the court.

First, let’s clear things up a bit. The Avenatti-Stormy Daniels team has two pending motions between them presently before the court. One is Avenatti’s pro hac vice motion. Avenatti is a member of the State Bar of California and is not licensed to practice law in the State of New York. He is currently requesting a one-time pass from the SDNY in order to represent his client, Ms. Daniels.

But Stormy Daniels isn’t quite involved in the case as of yet. Daniels has filed a motion to intervene. This motion is currently being held in abeyance–put on the legal back-burner–while the various involved parties hash out the issues with Daniels potentially becoming part of an ongoing controversy between the government, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump, and the Trump Organization.

On Wednesday, the government took no position on Avenatti’s pro hac vice motion. By way of prosecutor Rachel Maimin, the government also declined to take a position on the Daniels motion to intervene “at this time.” Cohen’s attorneys, of course, are vehemently opposed to Avenatti’s pro hac vice motion and have outlined their objections in various statements and filings. (See: here and here.)

Cohen attorney Stephen Ryan relentlessly tore into Avenatti during Wednesday’s hearing as well.

Ryan noted that the overarching point of the hearings was to keep Michael Cohen’s attorney-client privileged communications confidential. But, he noted, Stormy Daniels’ attorney has turned the proceedings into something else entirely.

Ryan cited Avenatti’s publication of Cohen’s financial records–including Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) filed by financial institutions on Mr. Cohen’s transactions; potentially leaked in violation of federal law–as well as the partially-inaccurate document released by Avenatti which erroneously cited records of various other Michael Cohens. Ryan said: "It was a drive-by shooting of anyone named Michael Cohen. We’ve never seen anything like this … I can’t believe we are going to allow this court, in the Southern District of New York, to be treated in this way. It shakes me in my boots that I have to rise to oppose this sort of conduct."

Avenatti responded to Ryan’s emotional charge, saying that he engaged in nothing improper and that his release of information was in no way relevant to his pro hac vice application. That claim did not go over well with the court. Judge Kimba Wood was much more sympathetic to Ryan’s criticism of Daniels’ attorney than Avenatti’s defense of his own media tactics.

At one point, Wood said to Avenatti, “You cannot declare your opinion as to Mr. Cohen’s guilt, which you did. You would not be able to give publicity to documents.” Riffing on this line of thought, Judge Wood also told Avenatti that he would have to cancel his “publicity tour” if he wanted to continue being heard on the matter before the court.

Wood then elaborated, “I say publicity tour not in a derogatory sense. You’re entitled to publicity, I can’t stop you. Unless you’re participating in a matter before me.” Eventually, Wood made her directives to Avenatti plain. She said: "I either want you to participate, or not be in the matter at all. I don’t want you to have some existence in a limbo where you’re free to denigrate Mr. Cohen, and I believe potentially deprive him of a fair trial by tainting a jury pool … This conduct is inimicable to giving Mr. Cohen eventually a fair trial."

That last line, it should be noted, is a bit of a hypothetical. Michael Cohen is not currently charged with a crime. Judge Wood clarified this. She said, “In my view, this matter which is a potential precursor to a criminal trial against Mr. Cohen if charges are filed.”

Ultimately, Judge Wood declined to rule on either Avenatti’s pro hac vice motion or Daniels’ motion to intervene, but she did have a parting glance for the high-profile cable news superstar.

“Until you are admitted here, I don’t expect you to stand and be heard here.”

Kimba Wood evidently had her previous consideration to be US AG scuttled in part because she spent literally a few days working at the Playboy Club in London to make some change way back before her law career.  Unfortunate for her, really.  She sounds smart as a whip.

Spoiler

kimbawoodplayboy.jpg?w=627&h=568

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Broidy is the obvious fall guy for Trump’s abortion but the fall Broidy took was actually a bribe, which is exactly what Elliot Broidy does for a living.

Of course I don’t have a link for this but all the evidence is out there to draw this reasonable conclusion.

Agreed, it's pretty obvious. Broidy has been convicted of bribing an elected official by giving money to the official's mistress. His wife is his business partner and also incriminated in his previous misdeeds. 

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/05/more-evidence-that-broidy-was-covering-for-trump-in-affair.html

This is part of what Judge Wood was pissed at him. Avenatti baited Cohen's attorney into admitting in open court that Cohen recorded conversations, including ones with Daniel's old attorney and Trump. Judge Wood knew that Avenatti would be all over TV tonight with the news. 

Edited by Pods

It's a bit of a choice for Avenatti: be part of the court of law or be part of the court of public opinion. It may not be an easy decision. I'm still not clear what value he has in the first role. It seems like in this particular setting, it might be limited and easily filled by others. It doesn't seem like he has built a strong rapport with the judge.  Assuming it doesn't preclude him from repping Stormy on other aspects, it might be best to hire out someone else. He's pretty good at attacking Cohen in the media, and he seems to relish it. It also gives him a better chance of building his celebrity, which translates to dollars.

Just now, Tuco said:

It's a bit of a choice for Avenatti: be part of the court of law or be part of the court of public opinion. It may not be an easy decision. I'm still not clear what value he has in the first role. It seems like in this particular setting, it might be limited and easily filled by others. It doesn't seem like he has built a strong rapport with the judge.  Assuming it doesn't preclude him from repping Stormy on other aspects, it might be best to hire out someone else. He's pretty good at attacking Cohen in the media, and he seems to relish it. It also gives him a better chance of building his celebrity, which translates to dollars.

I think he's going to withdraw from the NY Cohen case. 

Honestly, what the fuck does Avenatti care about his admission in this case in New York?  He just wants to pretend he cares until such time as the judge rules to exclude him so he can ramp up the publicity.  

Also, if I was Stormy's former lawyer, I would be a little concerned that Cohen recorded all these conversations.  I'm going to go out on a limb and predict he might have some conflicts he did not tell Stormy about.

• Like 1

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

In Texas you can’t secretly record conversations with another attorney even though it is a one party state for all other issues.  Wonder if the same is true for NY. 

Have had this conversation several times over the past few years; the consensus seems to be that's no longer that case?  That is, it's not done simply as a matter of professional courtesy, but otherwise, there's not an outright prohibition on it.

As for what the rule is in NY, the one thing I can guarantee is that Cohen either didn't know or didn't give a fuck what it was (or both).

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Have had this conversation several times over the past few years; the consensus seems to be that's no longer that case?  That is, it's not done simply as a matter of professional courtesy, but otherwise, there's not an outright prohibition on it.

As for what the rule is in NY, the one thing I can guarantee is that Cohen either didn't know or didn't give a fuck what it was (or both).

The other attorney was in California.  Guaranteed he didn't wait for the other attorney to leave the state to record the conversation.   California is a two party consent law.  Cohen doesn't like to follow that law thing very much.

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ll be damned.  I just looked it up.  This is what I get for erring on the side of honesty.  

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

In Texas you can’t secretly record conversations with another attorney even though it is a one party state for all other issues.  Wonder if the same is true for NY. 

I'm not certain there were any attorneys on these calls.  

I assume that tweet confirms he does not plan on being admitted to Woods' court.

So, there is a lot of mention of this issue recently on this thread.

I’m fairly certain that it was reported yesterday that Avenatti withdrew his request to be a part of this case (for now).

They were talking about Avenatti on morning edition. The commentator said some of the documents regarding Cohen that Avenatti released could not have been obtained by legal means and that whoever gave them to him would not be protected by attorney client privilege. Anyone know what he was talking about?

Just now, Sawbonz said:

They were talking about Avenatti on morning edition. The commentator said some of the documents regarding Cohen that Avenatti released could not have been obtained by legal means and that whoever gave them to him would not be protected by attorney client privilege. Anyone know what he was talking about?

SARs

• Like 1

Avenatti also discussed last night that there is another attorney acting on behalf of Daniels at the Cohen hearings, presumably that is working together with Avenatti.  So it appears he pushed the envelope as far as he could in the public domain until judge Wood intervened and will now fall back to let a collaborating atty continue the effort in a low key manner.  Avenatti won't be disappearing from his rotweiler media presence but is taking steps to ensure the fine legal matters aren't compromised.  Pretty deft, imo.

17 hours ago, deech said:

Honestly, what the fuck does Avenatti care about his admission in this case in New York?  He just wants to pretend he cares until such time as the judge rules to exclude him so he can ramp up the publicity.  

Also, if I was Stormy's former lawyer, I would be a little concerned that Cohen recorded all these conversations.  I'm going to go out on a limb and predict he might have some conflicts he did not tell Stormy about.

I can't really think of any reason for him or his client to intervene/be of record in the Cohen search warrant case.  It would be easy enough to get whatever discovery out of it he needs/wants.

I think it's just an exercise in self-aggrandizement, which is why a gag order trumped (haha get it?) any need for information.  And adding a third party to the document-review process would be extremely cumbersome with no immediately apparent benefit.  I imagine, when push came to shove, the USAO would oppose intervention.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I can't really think of any reason for him or his client to intervene/be of record in the Cohen search warrant case.  It would be easy enough to get whatever discovery out of it he needs/wants.

I think it's just an exercise in self-aggrandizement, which is why a gag order trumped (haha get it?) any need for information.  And adding a third party to the document-review process would be extremely cumbersome with no immediately apparent benefit.  I imagine, when push came to shove, the USAO would oppose intervention.

Wasn't there an allegation of conflicts regarding Daniel's previous attorney?  If the tapes show that Cohen and Stormy's previous attorney were colluding to her detriment, that is certainly a reason for him to be involved.

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Wasn't there an allegation of conflicts regarding Daniel's previous attorney?  If the tapes show that Cohen and Stormy's previous attorney were colluding to her detriment, that is certainly a reason for him to be involved.

Yeah, Daniel's old attorney, Keith Davidson, was collaborating with Cohen on the NDA's to reach deals favorable to Trump, not Davidson's clients.

12 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I could also see that since Woods has put Daniel's lawsuit on hold, that she should have some advocate in Wood's court. 

Trump is panicking now. He knows he's doomed and is playing desperate don't flip pardon cards now, which have no bearing in the NY case.

I hope he's eventually prosecuted out of NY, like a 9/11 terrorist.

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

You don't think he can request/subpoena documents from either Cohen or the government?  His and his client's claims have about zero to do as far as common questions of law or fact with the case between Cohen and the government over an overbroad search warrant.  If it were actually important to his client, he'd agree to STFU and get in the case, no?

Edited by TwiceHorn

Tapes are leaking out where Cohen threatens reporters running a story which intimates Trump is a rapist. Yeah -- women in charge of Trump's future is bad for Trump 

No wonder "Melanie" has vanished.

Edited by R2D2

I wonder how these female Trump voters will defend the onslaught of salacious sex stories about to hit. The piss tape is probably real, I bet the rape allegations are too, as is the abortion.

Maybe they don't fucking need Cohen (or anybody) to flip, given all the evidence they have.

Good. Women will bring his fat disgusting Mafia ass down.

Shut up

Tapes are leaking out where Cohen threatens reporters running a story which intimates Trump is a rapist. Yeah -- women in charge of Trump's future is bad for Trump  No wonder "Melanie" has vanished.

Shut up

I wonder how these female Trump voters will defend the onslaught of salacious sex stories about to hit. The piss tape is probably real, I bet the rape allegations are too, as is the abortion. Maybe they don't fucking need Cohen (or anybody) to flip, given all the evidence they have.

3254f4cc7e6d0a4ada0927d8d81583e1.gif

Seriously either make one post with your verbal diarrhea or trim it down to a cohesive thought. I hate this administration too but your sugar-ness is old

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2