Michael Cohen Investigation

DanTheHorn

16 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Never heard of anyone ever being told, hey we are preparing warrant for your arrest.

I think non-flight risk celebs get to sometimes orchestrate their submission to the authorities. OJ Simpson fled his agreement in a white Bronco. I think most people that turn themselves in have some kind of heads up if they have an attorney.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How many people don't think something something must have went on during Trump's long career in NYC and international real estate.  

Trump had real estate dealings in Florida as well.  Florida, NYC, internationally.  Kind of the trifecta if your playing fast and loose with your dealings. 

45 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Read the story and it speculates he is going to cooperate and looking for new lawyer. Could be wishful thinking. Could be that he is not paying his bills and he is just looking for the next sucker.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/politics/michael-cohen-legal-team/index.html

I've worked with MWE (Miami office), and those fuckers really want to get paid.  Moreso than most people. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How many people don't think something something must have went on during Trump's long career in NYC and international real estate.  

That's small potatoes compared to what Cohen has been involved with since 2016. 

Last time I checked, Michael Cohen is still acting RNC deputy national finance chair. 

Trump/Stormy Daniels probably falls under "use of threats, blackmail, bribes", a subject heading that links to all of the above.

20 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Can't keep up. Which lawyers quit-civil or criminal?

Criminal

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Read the story and it speculates he is going to cooperate and looking for new lawyer. Could be wishful thinking. Could be that he is not paying his bills and he is just looking for the next sucker.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/politics/michael-cohen-legal-team/index.html

According to a reporter on this Katy Tur MSNBC segment, a source said it had to do with unpaid legal bills, at least in part. 

https://www.msnbc.com/katy-tur/watch/if-cohen-flips-on-the-president-what-risk-does-that-pose-for-donald-trump-1254961731806

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What dirt does Cohen have on Roger Stone?

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I got to thinking today about all the blackmail material Trump might have and who in his inner circle would most likely be the one to hold the material?

Cohen routinely recorded conversations, I'm betting he kept tons of blackmail material. If Cohen really did coordinate paying off and sending the hackers to ground, he knows a ton and would have had access to some really incriminating shit for a lot of people. 

Avenatti on Tapper just now saying that he thinks MWE was billing Cohen as much as half-million per week.  

Holy fuck. 

For $500k a week...I’m saying I’d consider it. Now, based on the payment history of this bunch, that would mean at least a $2 million retainer...but damn, everyone has a price. Mine might be $2 million per month.

So is that still billed on an hourly basis?  What does a top East Cost attorney cost these days?  Is $1K/hr low?  That would be almost 500 billable hours, or what, 10 full time attorneys?

I'm sure there is something about the reality of the situation that's even more mind-blowing.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For $500k a week...I’m saying I’d consider it. Now, based on the payment history of this bunch, that would mean at least a $2 million retainer...but damn, everyone has a price. Mine might be $2 million per month.

You're a real humanitarian. 

50 minutes ago, Pods said:

Cohen routinely recorded conversations, I'm betting he kept tons of blackmail material. If Cohen really did coordinate paying off and sending the hackers to ground, he knows a ton and would have had access to some really incriminating shit for a lot of people. 

Trump would not keep the blackmail stuff close to him, but he would have wanted it protected.  A family member wouldn't have been good enough.  Trump probably foolishly  believed that retaining Cohen would keep all of that private through attorney-client privilege.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump would not keep the blackmail stuff close to him, but he would have wanted it protected.  A family member wouldn't have been good enough.  Trump probably foolishly  believed that retaining Cohen would keep all of that private through attorney-client privilege.

Peskov keeps all of Putin’s kompromat...Trump probably learned from watching him.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

There must be some value billing here for taking on a dude as a client whom the President of the United States is going to go scorched earth on when he flips.

Since Cohen can't be pardoned for the state stuff, and therefore Trump has nothing to offer him, "scorched earth" is going to be a very tame description since he will have to flip.

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

So in the Watergate comparison, who is Cohen if he flips?

Wasn’t Hunt the payout fixer in Watergate?

A few days after the break-in, Nixon was recorded saying, to H. R. Haldeman, "This fellow Hunt, he knows too damn much."[1]

[V]ery bad, to have this fellow Hunt, ah, you know, ah, it's, he, he knows too damn much and he was involved, we happen to know that. And that it gets out that the whole, this is all involved in the Cuban thing, that it's a fiasco, and it's going to make the FBI, ah CIA look bad, it's going to make Hunt look bad, and it's likely to blow the whole, uh, Bay of Pigs thing which we think would be very unfortunate for CIA and for the country at this time, and for American foreign policy, and he just better tough it and lay it on them.[29]

Hunt and fellow operative G. Gordon Liddy, along with the five burglars arrested at the Watergate, were indicted on federal charges three months later.

Hunt put pressure on the White House and the Committee to Re-Elect the President for cash payments to cover legal fees, family support, and expenses, for himself and his fellow burglars. Key Nixon figures, including Haldeman, Charles ColsonHerbert W. KalmbachJohn MitchellFred LaRue, and John Dean eventually became entangled in the payoff schemes, and large amounts of money were passed to Hunt and his accomplices, to try to ensure their silence at the trial, by pleading guilty to avoid prosecutors' questions, and afterwards.[30] Tenacious media, including The Washington Post and The New York Times, eventually used investigative journalism to break open the payoff scheme, and published many articles that proved to be the beginning of the end for the cover-up. Prosecutors had to follow up once the media reported. Hunt also pressured Colson, Dean, and John Ehrlichman to ask Nixon for clemency in sentencing, and eventual presidential pardons for himself and his cronies; this eventually helped to implicate and snare those higher up.[31]

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Pods said:

Criminal

According to a reporter on this Katy Tur MSNBC segment, a source said it had to do with unpaid legal bills, at least in part. 

https://www.msnbc.com/katy-tur/watch/if-cohen-flips-on-the-president-what-risk-does-that-pose-for-donald-trump-1254961731806

The lawyers that apparently quit were not "criminal" per se.  They filed a civil suit on Cohen's behalf to undo or mitigate the search warrant, leading to the current situation with the special master reviewing the documents.

I doubt McDermott Will & Emery has anyone (paralegal) billing less than $200/hour and the associates in NYC probably are closer to $400, while the big dogs are pushing $1000.  That document review cost him a metric shit ton.

Now, I suppose those same lawyers could have been representing his interests in other aspects of the case, but there isn't a criminal case filed that requires representation.

When he is indicted, I would not have been surprised if he changed counsel to more high-powered criminal types than these.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The lawyers that apparently quit were not "criminal" per se.  They filed a civil suit on Cohen's behalf to undo or mitigate the search warrant, leading to the current situation with the special master reviewing the documents.

I doubt McDermott Will & Emery has anyone (paralegal) billing less than $200/hour and the associates in NYC probably are closer to $400, while the big dogs are pushing $1000.  That document review cost him a metric shit ton.

Now, I suppose those same lawyers could have been representing his interests in other aspects of the case, but there isn't a criminal case filed that requires representation.

When he is indicted, I would not have been surprised if he changed counsel to more high-powered criminal types than these.

Could be. Multiple sources close to him have been claiming SDNY called and told him they are preparing paperwork for his arrest. Cohen denies it, for what that's worth, which is nothing. 

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Which takes Trump's offer of a pre-arranged pardon off the table. 

Again with confusion of Southern District of New York (US Attorney for) and New York Attorney General (do they have one now?  Acting?).

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Again with confusion of Southern District of New York (US Attorney for) and New York Attorney General (do they have one now?  Acting?).

Shit, my bad. But I bet Mueller told Cohen he had his ducks in a row on state charges, so he better not be dreaming of a golden ticket out of this mess. 

4 minutes ago, Pods said:

I really hope Preet runs for AG. Lots of corrupt money will be up against him though, because he's going to find a lot of rats in traditionally uninvestigated places. 

He’s not going to run. He said so in his podcast, he hates politics.

He supports Underwood retaining the position because she’s not a politician 

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He’s not going to run. He said so in his podcast, he hates politics.

He supports Underwood retaining the position because she’s not a politician 

He said he wouldn’t accept an appointment to that position, but would consider running for it. 

4 hours ago, Pods said:

I really hope Preet runs for AG. Lots of corrupt money will be up against him though, because he's going to find a lot of rats in traditionally uninvestigated places. 

Meh.  Preet didn't find many as USASDNY from 2009 on.  There were a lot to find.  Fuck him, he's a politician too.

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/15/politics/michael-cohen-cooperation-federal-investigators/index.html

President Donald Trump's personal attorney Michael Cohen has indicated to family and friends he is willing to cooperate with federal investigators to alleviate the pressure on himself and his family, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Cohen has expressed anger with the treatment he has gotten from the President, who has minimized his relationship with Cohen, and comments from the President's lawyer Rudy Giuliani, the source said. The treatment has left him feeling isolated and more open to cooperating, the source said.

This is my shocked face

This should be the day all priv review is completed and that the government prosecution team gets full access to documents seized. 

Coupled with the fact that Cohen’s lawyers are withdrawing after their own review of the materials, my assumption is that they discovered evidence of ongoing criminal activity. Ethically had to eject.