Michael Cohen Investigation

DanTheHorn

Michael never represented me in any matter.  I never retained him in the traditional sense as retaining a lawyer.  I never received an invoice from Michael.

But I have occasionally had conversations with Michael in which I wanted a legal perspective.

Just now, DDD Dad said:

Michael never represented me in any matter.  I never retained him in the traditional sense as retaining a lawyer.  I never received an invoice from Michael.

But I have occasionally had conversations with Michael in which I wanted a legal perspective.

Cool - so Cohen’s attorneys had no good faith basis using you to prop up their claim about privilege. Smart. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

And this is why you shut the fuck up.  No privilege for you.

Hannity might be blowing his privilege.

Just by saying "attorney-client" doesn't automatically make the discussion privileged.

He's talking about it as if he talked to Cohen for background information for his show.  That's not seeking legal advice (or if it is it's way on the fringe).

Edited by DDD Dad

So Cohen lied to the federal judge? 

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Hannity might be blowing his privilege.

Just by saying "attorney-client" doesn't automatically make the discussion privileged.

You also don’t need to pay the attorney to be covered by the privilege.  That said, there’s a good argument that Hannity was not a client or seeking to become a client.

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Please tell me the hearing is still ongoing and someone will play Hannity's admission. 

The hearing is now still ongoing. Trump’s attorneys arguing for last 15 min or so that even a Special Master couldn’t protect privilege here [citation needed] and Trump’s team wants 1st review themselves. It’s umm not likely going to work out that way 

6 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Michael never "represented" me in any "matter."  I never "retained" him in the traditional sense as "retaining a lawyer." I never "received an invoice" from Michael.

Fixed with implied emphasis quotes 

4597179?size=476x268&region=us

• Like 2

I will say this (for the nonlawyers).  One need not formally retain a lawyer for communications with that lawyer be privileged.  One need not be charged a fee for the communications to be privileged.  However, the communications must be made for the purpose of obtaining legal advice.  Hannity said that he would ask Cohen questions for a legal perspective (my paraphrasing, not a direct quote).  

If the question was something along the line of, "hey Michael, some guy is accusing me of defamation.  Here's what I said and here's what I believe the facts to be.  Is that defamation?" I'm pretty sure that would be privileged.

If instead he was just asking background information for purposes of talking about an issue on his show, that's not going to be privileged.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I will say this (for the nonlawyers).  One need not formally retain a lawyer for communications with that lawyer be privileged.  One need not be charged a fee for the communications to be privileged.  However, the communications must be made for the purpose of obtaining legal advice.  Hannity said that he would ask Cohen questions for a legal perspective (my paraphrasing, not a direct quote).  

If the question was something along the line of, "hey Michael, some guy is accusing me of defamation.  Here's what I said and here's what I believe the facts to me.  Is that defamation?" I'm pretty sure that would be privileged.

If instead he was just asking background information for purposes of talking about an issue on his show, that's not going to be privileged.

Don't harsh my lulz, brah

Here he goes again.

The legal questions I had "never involved any issues between me and any third party".

If that's the case, then it sounds like it's a pretty tenuous claim of privilege.

Next up, "To be frank, we were conspiring to commit crimes.  Was that wrong?" 

• Haha 1

On  Shep Smith's show the news broke.  Someone got hold of Hannity's PR flack:

“We just spoke with his publicist here at Fox News who says that he says they’ve been friends for a long time, he never denied that he he was his lawyer, that he did some legal work along the way, and that’s the extent of that,” Smith reported.

What a clusterfuck.  Highly entertaining as well.  

1 minute ago, Pods said:

Another long instrumental. Sean is just killing time. 

Listening to CNN and one of the "strategists" was saying she was texting with Sean right then and there while he was on the radio. Bizarre priorities. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear