Texas @ Oklahoma Series Thread

Horny Bull

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Then what does "leave the baseline" mean?

Baseball is interesting (and different from every other sport with 'lines', I'm pretty sure) in that the foul lines only explicitly determine whether a ball is fair or foul. They do NOT determine the path on which a runner must run, or serve as any sort of a boundary for a defensive player to engage with an offensive player or runner. I didn't look up the exact wording, but the 'baseline' a runner must follow is determined by where the runner is when he's engaged by the defense (ever seen a guy round 1st base and end up almost in right field before hitting second base?), and in some situations it's defined by intent, rather than position on the field. The latter is what you saw with Ellis. The "run past 1st base rule" says (paraphrasing) that if a runner is past 1st base, and makes an effort or signals intent to go to second base, then he's in play. His location on the field has zero bearing on that intent (i.e. the foul line is meaningless). The umpire ruled that Ellis had signaled his intent to go to second, and was then as such in play, and the tag out was valid. It's exactly equivalent to a runner tagging up on a long fly ball, deciding NOT to try and advance, and being tagged out trying to return to the original base.

I think the umpire mis-judged Ellis' intent, but it was a close enough play that I wouldn't have gotten myself ejected while I argued it. Looked like Pierce had the same read. 

That’s what I was thinking when I asked what the actual rule is. I was always taught curl toward the dugout otherwise you could be in play and be tagged out. No discussion about the line. I’m not even sure it was a bullshit call. Too gray and on the road ... tie goes to the cheaters.

No doubt the lesson taught very early on is to curl right after crossing the bag. 

I certainly won't lose any sleep over the play, but capnamerca's explanation still doesn't clarify to me what it means to LEAVE the baseline.  In my mind that implies a change in direction towards second (assuming he is correct in that it doesn't require crossing the white line).  Neither seemed to happen, although the criticism for not curling towards the dugout is obviously valid.  Take the ump out of the play.

There was zero intent to go to second.  He started a foot right of the infield dirt edge and ended up a foot right of the infield dirt edge.  Just turning your body left to locate the ball isn't intent to go to second...if he took a step towards second it would be a different story.  Glad neither that blown call or the OU sucks player who didn't move his arm an inch to get HBP made a difference in the game.

If you look at the play, the runner turned his body so he could see the field. He never moved his feet toward second base. I think the rule as written requires some kind of a move toward second. It does require an “obvious attempt” and I don’t think there was any way to interpret his move as an obvious attempt to advance. That being said, at that point in the game I don’t think it was a call worth getting tossed over. However, if it had taken place earlier while the game was still tied, or with OU still ahead, I probably would have been tossed arguing the call because it was so obviously horseshit.

16 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you look at the play, the runner turned his body so he could see the field. He never moved his feet toward second base. I think the rule as written requires some kind of a move toward second. It does require an “obvious attempt” and I don’t think there was any way to interpret his move as an obvious attempt to advance. That being said, at that point in the game I don’t think it was a call worth getting tossed over. However, if it had taken place earlier while the game was still tied, or with OU still ahead, I probably would have been tossed arguing the call because it was so obviously horseshit.

yep.  he faced second base while finding the ball and looking at field to assess the situation.  he never moved towards second. it is exactly what you should do.

I've seen runners even one or 2 steps toward second and not get called.  it was a bullshit call all the way around. 

one note is unless the throw is from 3rd or deep in the hole and goes up the line you are rarely going to get to 2nd at this level because the catcher is backing up.

2 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Kyle is a good kid, but he's a marginal pro baseball prospect. The idea the that he'll even have a chance to turn down "seven figures" is moronic. He's a sub .300 hitter in college with OK power at best and he can't catch a cold.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

You haven’t heard? He only has 200 AB so far in college.