The all encompassing RV thread

troph

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My estimation is that any “ultralight” that is decent sized but weighs 4k dry to be 1/2 ton pullable is likely a piece of shit. 

i got the 3/4 ton because I was pulling about 6k up and down 4-6% grade most of the time I had the trailer hooked up, to get to our spots.  Now that I’m moving away from the mountains, I’m going to keep the bigger truck because it is nice to have the mass as an anchor. 

I’m 8550# dry.   Had the 3/4-ton already because that’s just where trucks make sense to me and the things I do.  

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m 8550# dry.   Had the 3/4-ton already because that’s just where trucks make sense to me and the things I do.  

Yeah I don't think anyone's going to accuse an 8,550lb trailer of being an "ultralight." :)

On 3/18/2021 at 4:14 PM, davidg said:Need about 5 sets of tires for vehicles and trailers over the next 3 or 4 months.

Sped up my timeline. Got new kicks for the suburban today, scheduled boat trailer replacements for in the morning and will make a decision tomorrow on whether to go ahead and order the RV trailer tires right now.  Discount Tire has a $50 rebate on Goodyear’s through Sunday so that helps and when I started talking 3 sets my guy kept knocking stuff off to get the price down. 

I’m in $2200 between yesterday and today. Went ahead and bought a set of GY Endurance for the RV today too. Standing by my truck watching them and figure I’ll need a set for it by fall.

I’ll pick up the RV next Friday early and get the tires put on, then we are gonna park in the driveway for the weekend and spend some time doing stuff on it. I’m gonna check/repack the axle bearing as there are lots of comments of Dexter not greasing them very well from the factory. Gonna install my solar controller stuff too.

• Hook 'Em 2

Thanks! One question, I have a Z-71 suburban, where can I figure out what that truck will most comfortably pull? I don’t want to go with anything too big that will completely tax it, but definitely don’t want something that is too small...

Here's a boring video about tow ratings with a handy spreadsheet: https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/.      At 12:36 in that video he explains some of the consequences of being overweight. 

Here's a link to Chevrolet VIN decoder that will pull up your specific numbers https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?vin

Pulled the trigger today. Making the move to 16”.
2c9ce25d45c8f6074b001bfb0610ccf7.jpg
5f3409938919b4993efdb679e14a2dd6.jpg

Placed the order tonight. Moving from ST225/75/15 to 235/80/16 GY Endurance’s. Took load from 2830 per to 3420 per. Moving up in tire quality and size makes me feel ALOT more comfortable. For all 5 tire/rim out the door was $1600. Was about $800 for a normal set, so 2x the cost of just a fresh set. But makes me feel better so whatever. Definitely an upgrade over the old steel wagon wheels. About a month or two ago I was driving thru NC and there was an SUV shiny side down with a camper attached. They hadnt gotten the people out yet. Ive decided anything I can do to avoid that the better.

Booked our second trip of the year this evening as well.

Oh yeah, I’m up for an inspection to get my tags right. Anybody have a place on the west side of Houston, by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little side by side on the new shoes. That’s a funky angle in the pic but tires have plenty of clearance on all sides. Even checked it on “extreme” angles in the little “ditch” at the camp (not real ditch but enough angle off the road to lean her over, and flow water).
Discount forgot to order my center caps but should have them in this week.

Of course the ACs were acting up so don’t think we are going to make the trip we had planned this weekend. But the new tires alleviated about 90% of my concerns heading home late Saturday night (after AC went out, it was unplanned late return). Heading to the shop this afternoon to get sorted. They are acting like they are low on Freon. One mech told me the Dometics don’t have a port to add which doesn’t sound right but if so, t&p to my wallet.

edc9a856cdaa236fba99b0b55a6ac540.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

New wheels and tires look good!

Good luck on the A/C.  If you need to replace, you can buy them as low as $600-$900 for a standard 15K BTU no-frills model, and installation is actually a pretty easy DIY project.  Like pretty much everything else, there are videos on youtube that show how it's done.

Yeah I'm definitely hearing replacement RV parts are at a premium.  I have a friend who has a broken axle on his travel trailer, and the RV mechanic said it'll be at least 2 months before they'll have a replacement in stock.

So, fair warning-- don't break your RV right now. :)

The manufacturer of ours stopped shipping dual ACs for a while, even if it was special ordered.  They also move to a Furrion brand vs AirXcel Machs.  Seems the Furrion AC has the temp sensor up in the unit and not at the thermostat (WTF is that?) and you had to have the AC fan running along with the furnace to sense heat temps correctly.  Several posts about people being pissed of about this as you couldn't boondock without running a gen all the time or you had to have big battery bank.

Any Texas folks want to do a rally on the coast this fall? Vax required I’d think.  Not sure about kids, maybe. Women have to come.  Sorry, not sorry.  Could fish, could have a football watching party, could do some steaks and a shrimp boil, breakfast tacos all that shit.  Who would be up for it? We could have name tags and all that shit it would be hilarious. We could even one day make T-shirts if it sticks.  I mean it wouldn’t be as amazing as a gay airstream rally in Oklahoma but the fishing might be nice.  Lemme know.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Both AC's toast.  $650/ea + tax.    Honestly wondering if something from the freeze didn't fuck them up.  Both low on Freon.  Both in working order in Jan.   While I was down there, the camp house window unit was acting up too, after being solid for years.    Oh well, these bitches better be cold af but they went on today and I'm ready to camp this weekend.   So what's the BreakOutAnotherThousand chippy acronym for RV folks?  RetirementVanishing?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Both AC's toast.  $650/ea + tax.    Honestly wondering if something from the freeze didn't fuck them up.  Both low on Freon.  Both in working order in Jan.   While I was down there, the camp house window unit was acting up too, after being solid for years.    Oh well, these bitches better be cold af but they went on today and I'm ready to camp this weekend.   So what's the BreakOutAnotherThousand chippy acronym for RV folks?  RetirementVanishing?

I call it the daily break.

• Rage+1 1

Hauled the trailer in Friday morning and go my new GY Endurance tires installed, then parked it in the driveway over the weekend to do some maintenance and upgrades.  Did a bunch little stuff inside like swapping a faucet and adding some hooks and brackets but mainly worked on fabricating a solution to mounting the solar charge controller in my pass through storage area.

I built up a little frame out of clear pine 1x2s to support a sheet of 7/16 plywood and boxed it in with 1/4 ply.  I bought a Kreg pocket hole jig about a year or so ago and hadn't used it before and am a believer now for quick joinery work.  Sized to box to fit a plumbing access panel for a cover.  Drilled a hole in the wall of the trailer to put in a Furrion solar inlet receptacle.  These ports are only good for 10A but will work fine as I only carry 2 100W panels and connect them in series.  I screwed up and didn't plan ahead on my battery wiring and didn't have enough to wire that in but will do that in 2 weeks from.  Should be enough room in the box to add a small inverter to power a couple of outlets in the trailer if needed.

599525411_SCC-Frame.thumb.jpeg.b356df18dcc74211207201ec1d40ffdf.jpeg

323564973_SCC-Furrionportdrill.thumb.jpeg.db6496314a58c7af9c9a37072a4b9f9e.jpeg

831410429_SCC-FurrionPortdrillcore.thumb.jpeg.4fe6a6ddf8b80dc97da537da7626dcac.jpeg

269854958_SCC-Finished.thumb.jpeg.c7248aa1594645f4d5913374a644b85f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

We just bought a lot on Bolivar that will allow us to leave an RV there. We don’t currently have one or even a truck. The plan would be to buy a used RV, get it there, parked, and leave it. I’m also going to build a an elevated deck with roof to park it under. 

I’d like to sleep 6-8 people, and I want it to have AC, stove, bathroom, and the standard stuff, but beyond that I don’t really know where to start. Budget will be a concern - id like it stay at $10k, maybe $15k. Is this doable?   Where do I even start to look. Everything on FB seems like BS scam artist crap. 

Thanks. I could live with 6. We have 2 kids, and I was thinking have enough space to either have grandparents or friends come occasionally. 

I saw either near the beginning of this thread or maybe it was one of the other RV threads concerns about the roof on units that hadn’t been stored covered. Mine only needs to drive far enough to get parked, but what do you look at and for when inspecting a used one?

6 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Thanks. I could live with 6. We have 2 kids, and I was thinking have enough space to either have grandparents or friends come occasionally. 

I saw either near the beginning of this thread or maybe it was one of the other RV threads concerns about the roof on units that hadn’t been stored covered. Mine only needs to drive far enough to get parked, but what do you look at and for when inspecting a used one?

The vast majority of travel trailer RVs are not stored covered.  If you can get to the roof, look for signs of cracking or discoloration,  usually around vents and A/C units, anywhere the roof has been intentionally pierced.  Also look for places where the roof has been UNintentionally pierced, often by driving under tree limbs.

As for WHICH RV is right, your needs and desires will determine the floorplan.  Parents with younger kids like the bunkhouse/bunk room designs, which have a bedroom for the owning couple (usually at the front), and bunks or an entire separate bunk room for the kids (typically at the back).  Then there will be the kitchen, living space, and bathroom in the middle.  The first one troph linked is like this, although it doesn't have the whole separate room, it just has open-access bunks, at the back.

Additional sleeping options for these kinds of models are usually limited to the dinette which can make into a (small) bed and the couch which might jackknife into a (small) bed, or might be a triple-fold which forms a (slightly larger) bed that might be suitable for another adult couple.

Older retired couples typically don't need the bunk room, so they'll get a model with a large sitting room, usually at the back, fitted with recliners.  Bedroom still usually at the front.

A unit with a slide-out will have more space, and will feel like a LOT more space.  They're also more expensive, and heavier, so more difficult to tow.  Doesn't sound like towing is going to be an issue for you though, you'll just need to move it once.

Really you'll just need to take a look at the available floorplans and decide what's important to you, and then match the inventory to your budget.  Since COVID began, demand has been high so inventory is low and prices are high.  That's true for new, and used, models.  But the ones troph linked look like they could be decent contenders.

Good luck!

• Hook 'Em 1

To add to @utee94,  look at all the roof seams on the sides and near the front cap and rear.  RV roof joints are usually sealed with an elastomer compound that self levels and should remain pliable.  Look for any points where it has cracked or  pulled away from vertical points (along vents or AC's) or where water can pool up.  Any place that water can pool up on a RV roof is a place that a leak will happen.     Here are a couple of pics from my delivery inspection.  I found these after it went through our manufacturers much touted 300 point pre-delivery inspection and one supposedly done by my dealer.   

Also look for water stains on the ceiling and for  soft spots in the floor along the walls.  These would be definite signs of water damage.   Check out all the appliances on gas and electric operation and for sure the AC's.

File_000.thumb.jpeg.154f003b24b345fd0c4782201e6ad8db.jpeg

File_001.thumb.jpeg.da1b9cbba53de87703fd3d49f3efec4e.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, davidg said:

To add to @utee94,  look at all the roof seams on the sides and near the front cap and rear.  RV roof joints are usually sealed with an elastomer compound that self levels and should remain pliable.  Look for any points where it has cracked or  pulled away from vertical points (along vents or AC's) or where water can pool up.  Any place that water can pool up on a RV roof is a place that a leak will happen.     Here are a couple of pics from my delivery inspection.  I found these after it went through our manufacturers much touted 300 point pre-delivery inspection and one supposedly done by my dealer.   

Also look for water stains on the ceiling and for  soft spots in the floor along the walls.  These would be definite signs of water damage.   Check out all the appliances on gas and electric operation and for sure the AC's.

Definitely this.  Check the floor along the edge against the wall under windows, and doors, for external leaks.  And check under sinks/bathtub too, for internal leaks, if you can reach there.  These are the places RVs are notorious for leaking and damaging the floor.

Something else you might see along the rear or side walls of an RV with a fiberglass shell, is bubbling of the exterior layer away from the the layers underneath.  This is a certain sign of leaking.  For units with corrugated aluminum exterior, it's a lot tougher to see. 

On 3/31/2021 at 8:24 PM, troph said:

Any Texas folks want to do a rally on the coast this fall? Vax required I’d think.  Not sure about kids, maybe. Women have to come.  Sorry, not sorry.  Could fish, could have a football watching party, could do some steaks and a shrimp boil, breakfast tacos all that shit.  Who would be up for it? We could have name tags and all that shit it would be hilarious. We could even one day make T-shirts if it sticks.  I mean it wouldn’t be as amazing as a gay airstream rally in Oklahoma but the fishing might be nice.  Lemme know.

You should consider a trip to the LCRA park in Matagorda if it’s open, we were discussing that on the fishing thread.  Really nice park, you can drive from there down the beach to surf fish, or fish the jetty or piers within a mile drive.  I could probably talk my brother into hauling his RV down there.  We usually just tent camp.  They have decent showers/bathrooms and there’s restaurants, bait and tackle, grocery store and liquor store 15 minutes away.  The beach isn’t pretty like PINS but it has fish.  3 hour easy drive from here.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

9 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You should consider a trip to the LCRA park in Matagorda if it’s open, we were discussing that on the fishing thread.  Really nice park, you can drive from there down the beach to surf fish, or fish the jetty or piers within a mile drive.  I could probably talk my brother into hauling his RV down there.  We usually just tent camp.  They have decent showers/bathrooms and there’s restaurants, bait and tackle, grocery store and liquor store 15 minutes away.  The beach isn’t pretty like PINS but it has fish.  3 hour easy drive from here.  

Is the boat ramp just north of the park usable?  Been scoping that out for a trip but would like to take the boat and run offshore without having to tow it back up to the harbor to launch.

8 minutes ago, davidg said:

Is the boat ramp just north of the park usable?  Been scoping that out for a trip but would like to take the boat and run offshore without having to tow it back up to the harbor to launch.

It was last time I was there, if you’re talking about the one on the river.  I think there are actually 2 ramps on that stretch of road, the county one at River Bend, and one at Rawlings.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Yeah that boat ramp was... FULLY OPERATIONAL... the last time I was there.  The one onto the river.

We stay at that Matagorda LCRA park a couple times a year normally.  And now they even have two Airstreams permanently on-site that you can rent, for folks that don't have their own RVs.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, davidg said:

Unless you are super tight on gas, I’d have to recommend the harbor.  The river ramps can be a bitch with any tide running through, and overall aren’t near the condition of the harbor ramps.  Rawlings doesn’t even save you that much time/mileage. Also, that last 10 miles or whatever is a great time to Italian tuneup your outboard after a long day of idling and long periods of low rpm cruising.   I typically catch all my live bait up and down the river on the way out, and is a good warmup for the motor before you get to the breakers.  

We just bought a lot on Bolivar that will allow us to leave an RV there. We don’t currently have one or even a truck. The plan would be to buy a used RV, get it there, parked, and leave it. I’m also going to build a an elevated deck with roof to park it under. 

I’d like to sleep 6-8 people, and I want it to have AC, stove, bathroom, and the standard stuff, but beyond that I don’t really know where to start. Budget will be a concern - id like it stay at $10k, maybe $15k. Is this doable?   Where do I even start to look. Everything on FB seems like BS scam artist crap. 
Why a travel trailer if you're just going to leave it there? Why not something more permanent like a used mobile home? You'd have more room inside and could still have it hauled off later if you wanted. Plus its still a sellers market right now on rv's...

5 hours ago, JMFP said:
On 4/7/2021 at 10:46 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Why a travel trailer if you're just going to leave it there? Why not something more permanent like a used mobile home? You'd have more room inside and could still have it hauled off later if you wanted. Plus its still a sellers market right now on rv's...

I don’t believe they allow mobile homes there, otherwise I would. 

2 things

1) just pulled the camper from Longmont to Lubbock today.  First real long haul- well Cody to Longmont yesterday but all part of the same journey. No issues at all with the trailer or the truck. 

b) kinda funny. sold the little 17 footer before I left. Lady said she had a friend that would pull it home for her.  1979 wilderness, weighs about 3500 dry.  Guy shows up with a f450 flatbed with Alabama farm truck plates.  Older gentleman in pressed wranglers gets out, I ask him if he thinks that’ll pull it. He says in a great Alabama accent “I like to bring a little more’n I need.”

looked like he was pulling a toy as he drove away. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don’t believe they allow mobile homes there, otherwise I would. 
Oh, I wasn't familiar with Bolivar (I was thinking lakefront). I don't have much to add except maybe just don't be afraid of a little reno, these things aren't hard to work on. I would be scared of water damage though.

Packing up this morning to leave Twin Fountains RV Park in OKC. We spent the weekend here for my kids' dance competition yesterday. Nice place to stay if you're passing through OKC. They're close to the zoo/omniplex/racetrack and will give you a free ride in their 'limo.'

c845fb3bf754f4108895d993bc6247cd.jpg

For that price and that many people, I’d look at a “hybrid” camper.

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Follow up- on the drive into Wilco today I saw a ~30-34 ft fifth wheel camper being pulled by a semi. So my bama friend got out-whataburgered. 

My ex’s granddad (RIP) towed his with one of those freightliner semi semi rigs.  I saw a full on semi towing a fifth wheel the other day too.  I miss him. 

Just remember when they say 6-8, that means every one is doubled up on the beds, couch, dinette etc....

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm down. My rig should be back from Mexico by then and I want to drive around Texas a bit anyway.

Just sign up for IB Magee in October on a good weekend.  Or better yet week days!  And likely I will be there!  I would be game for anywhere else on the coast.  I still need to go do a few primitive days on PINS.  That's what I bought mine for, and the big freeze allowed me to test all the boondock aspects of my little coachmen.

As for trailering - just try to never get within the last 20% of max towing capacity if you are going to haul longer distances.

As for Wind - It's not terrible usually but... We did get chased out of Port Aransas last Fall on a Sunday and with the wind howling and the trip up IH 37/35 to Austin was a little white knuckle.  Just because there were so many other folks on the road getting chased out. like we were. And it was my maiden voyage, and the trailer was not a level as it could have been.  Mainly for me, I just prefer to go a hair slower pulling the trailer.  About 70 mph is my max comfort, with 65 being in the sweet spot.  Since I normally drive 75- 90 mph the slow down is sort of weird.  And for that reason I tend to go on the state highways where there are passing lanes, and I am very sensitive to folks getting stuck behind me.  

TIRES - I like the potential of converting the tires on my trailer to larger tires.  Going to have to do some measuring and some math.  I also have NOT made sure that all the bolts dome off the damn wheels either, and I did spend a month in Port A last Fall, so that might be something smart to do... Before I break Sockets on the side of the road, in a string of expletives too long for even I to imagine.  Definitely breaking all the nuts loose before the next trip, and then re-torque. My best purchase for trailing peace of mind was a tire pressure monitoring system.    This way I get a low pressure alert if a tire starts to go.  The single worst fucking case scenario I can think of is blowing a tire and having most of the tire come off to where it no longer made contact with the ground. Thus no leverage to break off the lug nuts and then needing to not be able to help myself.  The TPMS hopefully will let me catch any deflation early enough to be able to help get myself right and get a new spare at the next walmart.  

Followed as I need to use the RV for more than just the coast.  But the coast is always going to be where I will personally drift towards.

TIRES - I like the potential of converting the tires on my trailer to larger tires.  Going to have to do some measuring and some math. 

My best purchase for trailing peace of mind was a tire pressure monitoring system.    This way I get a low pressure alert if a tire starts to go.  The single worst fucking case scenario I can think of is blowing a tire and having most of the tire come off to where it no longer made contact with the ground. Thus no leverage to break off the lug nuts and then needing to not be able to help myself.  The TPMS hopefully will let me catch any deflation early enough to be able to help get myself right and get a new spare at the next walmart.  

Bigger, better tires ftmfw.

Also, my maiden voyage. I tow things quite a bit and I’m in my mirrors like crazy, listen for blowouts, feel for them etc. Never felt, heard, nothing on this guy. Was on some shitty south Texas highways and just couldn’t feel it. As you can see it went for a bit, but rim never touched. I saw a tiny little chunk go and said, fuck I bet I didn’t kick that up, so pulled over. They were fully pumped (spare too) before we headed down and were about 30 miles shy from destination. Oh well, no damage and it jettisoned me into my new upgraded set.

4e454174c8228025a2ee60cf15f3f5dc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Just spent the last 10 days chasing spring snow, and sleeping in ski resort parking lots in the northeast (Maine, Vermont, NY) in my buds Chinook 25'

Nice self contained way to travel.  One piece, boat style, molded shell (no shell squeaks). Well appointed, and detailed interior. Equipped with a V10 engine with lots of mountain power.

I'm guessing the Chinook is a big deal. Every where we went it was the same comment.  That's a siiiiick set up.

People were always coming over to strike up a conversation, poke their heads in the cabin. Which often led to smoking a bowl, a cigar, a beer or bourbon, and a piece of tuna, or steak chunks off the grill.

IMG_9956.JPG

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Was looking pretty hard at a TT last sep/oct. Had a gut feeling to walk off for a while, so did. Worked out for the better at the time, but now trying to plan ahead and go for it in a year or two when everything supply-wise gets back to normal for a while. 

Good thing is it will give me time to really figure out what I’d like. Class A/B and tow a ride. Or a TT/5th and drive around the tow vehicle? 

Who knows. Been going back and forth on it a good bit, so we’ll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Was looking pretty hard at a TT last sep/oct. Had a gut feeling to walk off for a while, so did. Worked out for the better at the time, but now trying to plan ahead and go for it in a year or two when everything supply-wise gets back to normal for a while. 

Good thing is it will give me time to really figure out what I’d like. Class A/B and tow a ride. Or a TT/5th and drive around the tow vehicle? 

Most class Bs aren't particularly well-suited to tow an additional car behind them, so keep that in mind.  I definitely wouldn't want to have to break camp every time I needed to go somewhere.

So the travel trailer and tow vehicle work best for us right now, but eventually I think we'll probably move on to a Class A moho and we'll tow our Jeep behind it.

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

To me it would be the question of, How am I going to travel.  IF you are going for long extended periods then I can totally see a class A with a small towed vehicle.  With the depreciation on most RV's in most other situations I am going with a more expensive tow vehicle and a 5th wheel.  Simply as I will likely get a lot more use out of the tow vehicle when not traveling.   The change at saving some depreciation, greater overall use and flexibility of a large Truck tow vehicle would make me lean that way.  If I am taking a couples years off living out of the thing? I am class A and towing a smaller vehicle.

I think that unless you are bit bad by the bug, right now the longer you wait, the better off you will be on price. and MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY-- QUALITY!

RV's even at the higher levels are notorious for crappy construction and lack of quality control. Think of this potential crappiness being on steroids, for the past year.  Cranking out whatever rolls off the line as fast as they can to make try and fill as many orders as possible, while the demand was there.  All while having supply line issues and regular line worker absentee nightmares from covid.

I would usually try to buy used, and I would be looking for older owner who bought PRIOR to covid.

• Hook 'Em 1