OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

texifornia

In a vacuum OU is a better job than Cincinnati and a more traditional blue blood but at the same time Cinci will be in the Big 12 so not like it's leaving for a Power 5 job, even if OU is on the way to the SEC instead of Big 12. Also figure he would have taken one of the other jobs (USC, LSU, ND) over OU all things being even...and if he was willing to go to OU I imagine he would have talked to those also. He might like the idea of building Cinci into the position it is and want to ride that until it's end.

Lanning would be an awful hire and if OU makes that work it’s just something in the culture over there. 
That’s about as risky a hire as there is. 

1) No head coaching experience. 
2) I’m not even sure how much of Georgia’s defense is Lanning with Kirby as the HC. 
3) Lanning’s recruiting is all based on the bag game at Georgia. Is he getting that OU? 
4) How much experience does he have recruiting Texas? Georgia has dipped into Texas but I’m not sure he has an extensive history recruiting the state. 

On the surface this hire should fail. 
This is what makes it a great hire...fuck OU
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:
Lanning would be an awful hire and if OU makes that work it’s just something in the culture over there. 
That’s about as risky a hire as there is. 

1) No head coaching experience. 
2) I’m not even sure how much of Georgia’s defense is Lanning with Kirby as the HC. 
3) Lanning’s recruiting is all based on the bag game at Georgia. Is he getting that OU? 
4) How much experience does he have recruiting Texas? Georgia has dipped into Texas but I’m not sure he has an extensive history recruiting the state. 

On the surface this hire should fail. 

This is what makes it a great hire...fuck OU

sassy sarah silverman GIF by HULU

4 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

My money is on Fickell for OU. He wouldn't want anything getting out before this weekend's game so smokescreens make sense

Not sure Fickell risks his star dimming before Day bolts for the NFL.

Even if he has success at OU, he's likely heading to OSU once Day bolts for the NFL.

Risky if he's the guy.

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just now, Interesting comment by Scipio Tex on HornFm -- one source said that Lincoln Riley also left blOU because he wasn't happy with the current locker room.  Probably would have seen several players portal out even if Lincoln stayed in Norman... 🤔 

On the EGAT podcast from a few days ago, he said that OU has a long tradition of having a roster full of "edgy guys and shitheads" and have made that work for years, but this bunch was such an accumulation of bad locker room guys that Riley just wanted to get away from them.  Not criminals, but just a bunch of douchy prima donnas who didn't really focus on football as much as they should despite being very talented.  Rattler being the poster boy for this type, I presume.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

On the EGAT podcast from a few days ago, he said that OU has a long tradition of having a roster full of "edgy guys and shitheads" and have made that work for years, but this bunch was such an accumulation of bad locker room guys that Riley just wanted to get away from them.  Not criminals, but just a bunch of douchy prima donnas who didn't really focus on football as much as they should despite being very talented.  Rattler being the poster boy for this type, I presume.

nonsense..  I know McCutchin is a team oriented kid who would lead by example..

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Guess it was a good thing that piece of shit Bookie Radley-Hiles wasn’t still there. 

11 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

11 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Sounds like a situation where he thought he could manage the personalities and their talent made the risk worthwhile, but he just took too many of them and lost control of the locker room.  

This bodes really well for a guy who's biggest recruiting footprint is going to be Southern California, specifically. No one there would have a tendency to be douchy, or a prima donna. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, quigley said:

DeMarco's been a pretty terrible RB coach at OU so far, but his efforts maintaining this class have to be acknowledged.

Now if he would only remind his RBs to pass block, that would be great.

Dude, how the fuck does that guy even have a job at ou? He does in fact suck at his job. This is like Shawn Watson level of dumbfuckery

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Dude, how the fuck does that guy even have a job at ou? He does in fact suck at his job. This is like Shawn Watson level of dumbfuckery

Good question. The fact that TJ Pledger transferred to Utah and went for 6 yds a carry doesn't help either. I guess being an all-American alum at the school you're coaching at helps get you a second chance. It seems he's like he's taking advantage of it.

Now Murray needs to actually coach the blocking/route running part of what made him so useful as a player.

Edited by quigley
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No he doesn't, he's doing great work as-is.

Honestly, we'll now actually may get to see if was Murray or Riley's fault that OU's backs basically had ONE route they'd run out of the backfield over the last couple of years (go out to the flat and stand). It's not like they didn't have backs who could catch. Eric Gray caught 30 passes over just 9 games in 2020 at Tennessee. Why he never ran at Texas route on 3rd down (NOT ONCE) is baffling.

2 hours ago, quigley said:

Honestly, we'll now actually may get to see if was Murray or Riley's fault that OU's backs basically had ONE route they'd run out of the backfield over the last couple of years (go out to the flat and stand). It's not like they didn't have backs who could catch. Eric Gray caught 30 passes over just 9 games in 2020 at Tennessee. Why he never ran at Texas route on 3rd down (NOT ONCE) is baffling.

I've never loved the fan-centric thinking that seems to crop up all the time.  "Hire X to coach the position he was great at!" almost never works out.  You don't hire the guy who was naturally gifted to teach other people.  They don't generally have to study the game, learn and prioritize technique, etc.  It's happening again because Roy Williams (OU) has been active on Twitter, fans are asking him to come coach safeties.  Blows my mind.

You know who was good at teaching safeties?  Bob Stoops, who was slow, undersized, and out-athleted just about every time he took the field.  THAT is someone who knows how to get the most out of what a player has.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cross posting.

DrummBeat: On Cain| More on staff| Recruiting notes

Brandon Drumm

Spoiler

Brandon Drumm

Look, I was told about an hour ago he had resigned from OU and signed a non-binding offer letter to USC to be Co-DC there.

This is a tough blow, but what I can tell you is that Bill Bedenbaugh is looking more and more like he is staying. How that plays out, we shall see.

Also, I’m hearing Calvin Thibodeaux is one that could be retained, as will Demarco Murray, Joe Jon Finley (with WKU assistant getting OC job at Tech & it sounds like he has a job as this point), and Cale Gundy.

Lastly, sources I spoke with seem to think Brian Odom is at USC. I think that is probably a fact with how the Kobie Mckinzie situation has played and him committing to Texas.

*** Brent Venables has been in contact with Carl and Caleb Williams, but I’m told it was “just exchanging pleasantries” to this point. How that will go from here is anyone’s guess, and with the info I have from sources with direct knowledge of it all, it really is in how OU can sell the future vision and development.

Don’t take that as Caleb won’t stay because it’s not remotely close to being a done deal and there is going to be a sit down with everyone that needs to be involved very, very soon.

*** Want a crazy side note? I have had two very, very knowledgeable folks in the Arch Manning recruiting process tell OUinsider that Jeff Lebby and the Manning’s are very close. I told one of the sources I didn’t buy the fact Lebby could get Manning interested in OU and that source told me, “It’s not far-fetched at all. Manning’s love Lebby. That was a big deal with Ole Miss and Arch.”

I’m not there with Lebby not being announced yet and also the fact it seems so late in the game. That said, it’s OU and that is something to at least take into consideration in this deal, but I’m at a I’ll believe it when I see state, regardless of what I’m told by a few credible sources.

That’s how I would approach that if I’m you all too, but wanted you aware of what I’m hearing.

*** As for DC, Arkansas DC Barry Odom is a name. I was questioning it the last day or so, but his name is one to watch nonetheless. He runs a similar style to BV and has string connections here.

Could OU swap Odom or Odom? We will see. Haven’t gotten anything substantial yet from anyone in Fayetteville, so this is all just rumors at this point.

*** I’m told Coach Venables had a big Zoom meeting with 2022 recruits today at 445 central time, per a recruits parent.

Also, I’m told BV and Dindy spoke for bit earlier today. It went well and they loved the hire.

I think how the assistants and how BV plans on using Dindy will be the biggest issue. Regardless, they love how this thing has started. We will see how this goes moving forward, though.

Remember, they had Texas A&M doing an in-home with Dindy last week.

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

Jeff Lebby and the Manning’s are very close. I told one of the sources I didn’t buy the fact Lebby could get Manning interested in OU and that source told me, “It’s not far-fetched at all. Manning’s love Lebby.

This guy "writes" for a living.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kilroydos said:

I've never loved the fan-centric thinking that seems to crop up all the time.  "Hire X to coach the position he was great at!" almost never works out.  You don't hire the guy who was naturally gifted to teach other people.  They don't generally have to study the game, learn and prioritize technique, etc.  It's happening again because Roy Williams (OU) has been active on Twitter, fans are asking him to come coach safeties.  Blows my mind.

You know who was good at teaching safeties?  Bob Stoops, who was slow, undersized, and out-athleted just about every time he took the field.  THAT is someone who knows how to get the most out of what a player has.

Perfect example is Murray's RB coach when he was at OU, Cale Gundy. Murray is apparently recruiting his ass off, but the production of his unit doesn't merit keeping him. If Venables fired Cain and Thibbs, Murray should be gone too. Gundy can hang around to see if the new OC keeps him at RB coach, where he excelled. Gundy as a WR coach doesn't deserve to stay. Gundy and Venables are buddies.

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

Cross posting.

Brandon Drumm

Reveal hidden contents

Brandon Drumm

Look, I was told about an hour ago he had resigned from OU and signed a non-binding offer letter to USC to be Co-DC there.

This is a tough blow, but what I can tell you is that Bill Bedenbaugh is looking more and more like he is staying. How that plays out, we shall see.

Also, I’m hearing Calvin Thibodeaux is one that could be retained, as will Demarco Murray, Joe Jon Finley (with WKU assistant getting OC job at Tech & it sounds like he has a job as this point), and Cale Gundy.

Lastly, sources I spoke with seem to think Brian Odom is at USC. I think that is probably a fact with how the Kobie Mckinzie situation has played and him committing to Texas.

*** Brent Venables has been in contact with Carl and Caleb Williams, but I’m told it was “just exchanging pleasantries” to this point. How that will go from here is anyone’s guess, and with the info I have from sources with direct knowledge of it all, it really is in how OU can sell the future vision and development.

Don’t take that as Caleb won’t stay because it’s not remotely close to being a done deal and there is going to be a sit down with everyone that needs to be involved very, very soon.

*** Want a crazy side note? I have had two very, very knowledgeable folks in the Arch Manning recruiting process tell OUinsider that Jeff Lebby and the Manning’s are very close. I told one of the sources I didn’t buy the fact Lebby could get Manning interested in OU and that source told me, “It’s not far-fetched at all. Manning’s love Lebby. That was a big deal with Ole Miss and Arch.”

I’m not there with Lebby not being announced yet and also the fact it seems so late in the game. That said, it’s OU and that is something to at least take into consideration in this deal, but I’m at a I’ll believe it when I see state, regardless of what I’m told by a few credible sources.

That’s how I would approach that if I’m you all too, but wanted you aware of what I’m hearing.

*** As for DC, Arkansas DC Barry Odom is a name. I was questioning it the last day or so, but his name is one to watch nonetheless. He runs a similar style to BV and has string connections here.

Could OU swap Odom or Odom? We will see. Haven’t gotten anything substantial yet from anyone in Fayetteville, so this is all just rumors at this point.

*** I’m told Coach Venables had a big Zoom meeting with 2022 recruits today at 445 central time, per a recruits parent.

Also, I’m told BV and Dindy spoke for bit earlier today. It went well and they loved the hire.

I think how the assistants and how BV plans on using Dindy will be the biggest issue. Regardless, they love how this thing has started. We will see how this goes moving forward, though.

Remember, they had Texas A&M doing an in-home with Dindy last week.

It's odd that all the defensive coaches are gone, but some of the offensive coaches have been retained. Hopefully, the new OC will be allowed to pick which of the guys he wants to keep.

Screenshot 2021-12-06 212403.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

It's odd that all the defensive coaches are gone, but some of the offensive coaches have been retained. Hopefully, the new OC will be allowed to pick which of the guys he wants to keep.

Screenshot 2021-12-06 212403.jpg

Wtf is going on there? That's a bold move letting go of a dude who can actually recruit. Y'all might be in trouble. 

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Wtf is going on there? That's a bold move letting go of a dude who can actually recruit. Y'all might be in trouble. 

Letting Cain go makes a little sense, but Thibodeaux is a guy Venables knows and has had some success recruiting and coaching.  This one is weird for sure.

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yeah, this is a bit shaky. The OU Rivals guys said 3 coaches were going to be staying. I was hoping for Cain, Thibodeaux, and Bedenbaugh. I bet we get stuck with Gundy as a WR coach, Finley, and Murray. Bedenbaugh finally says screw it and moves to LA. My overall thoughts on the staff:

Defensive staff:
Grinch, safeties/DC: safeties were the weakest unit - no loss
Manning, CB: reasonable recruiter, minimal development, baffling positional decisions - no loss
Odom, inside LB: played at OU, good reputation prior to OU, OU's LBs looked lost in zone coverage - no loss
Cain, outside LB: recruited well, developed players, players seemed to like him - this is the guy I wanted to keep
Thibodeaux, DL: former OU player under Venables, recruiting had picked up over the last couple of years and so had development - there could be a case for him staying.

Offensive staff:
Riley, QB/OC: don't recall that he made much of an impact - no loss
Murry, RB: recruiting was terrible until 2022, but he may bring in OU's only top 100 recruits this year; awful player development - apparently staying but I cannot understand why beyond this year's recruiting.
Gundy, inside WR: played at OU, preceded Venables/Stoops on the OU staff I think; great RB coach, minimal impact as a WR coach, buddies with Venables -- apparently staying (OK as RB coach; NO as a WR coach)
Simmons, outside WR: recruited in odd numbered years only; minimal player development - no loss
Finley, TE/HB: played at OU, recruited ok, develped good pass catchers, but run/pass blocking hasn't been great -- apparently staying; meh.
Bedenbaugh, OL: I've been down on him recently because OL play has worsened over the last 3 years - apparently staying.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Letting Cain go makes a little sense, but Thibodeaux is a guy Venables knows and has had some success recruiting and coaching.  This one is weird for sure.

I would've kept Cain. Bonitto's great, Grimes is developing, and he's got Clayton Smith coming next year too.

4 minutes ago, quigley said:

I would've kept Cain. Bonitto's great, Grimes is developing, and he's got Clayton Smith coming next year too.

Honestly, unless there are terminators coming to coach those positions, I don't know why you let either Cain or Thibs go.  Scuttlebutt is they weren't moving fast on connecting with Cain and he took the open offer at USC.  Not so much a decision as a lack of decision forcing an outcome.  I don't like that.  I'd prefer if BV made a call and had a plan versus just allowing it to happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, quigley said:

Yeah, this is a bit shaky. The OU Rivals guys said 3 coaches were going to be staying. I was hoping for Cain, Thibodeaux, and Bedenbaugh. I bet we get stuck with Gundy as a WR coach, Finley, and Murray. Bedenbaugh finally says screw it and moves to LA. My overall thoughts on the staff:

Defensive staff:
Grinch, safeties/DC: safeties were the weakest unit - no loss
Manning, CB: reasonable recruiter, minimal development, baffling positional decisions - no loss
Odom, inside LB: played at OU, good reputation prior to OU, OU's LBs looked lost in zone coverage - no loss
Cain, outside LB: recruited well, developed players, players seemed to like him - this is the guy I wanted to keep
Thibodeaux, DL: former OU player under Venables, recruiting had picked up over the last couple of years and so had development - there could be a case for him staying.

Offensive staff:
Riley, QB/OC: don't recall that he made much of an impact - no loss
Murry, RB: recruiting was terrible until 2022, but he may bring in OU's only top 100 recruits this year; awful player development - apparently staying but I cannot understand why beyond this year's recruiting.
Gundy, inside WR: played at OU, preceded Venables/Stoops on the OU staff I think; great RB coach, minimal impact as a WR coach, buddies with Venables -- apparently staying (OK as RB coach; NO as a WR coach)
Simmons, outside WR: recruited in odd numbered years only; minimal player development - no loss
Finley, TE/HB: played at OU, recruited ok, develped good pass catchers, but run/pass blocking hasn't been great -- apparently staying; meh.
Bedenbaugh, OL: I've been down on him recently because OL play has worsened over the last 3 years - apparently staying.

Bendenbaugh is one of the best in all of CFB. I'd imagine he'll get it turned around. I'm just shocked at the guys that were let go. This leads me to believe BV might not know what he's doing and is getting off to a shaky start. Maybe I'm wrong, tho. Ou's history speaks for itself and y'all tend to make solid hires. 

7 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Honestly, unless there are terminators coming to coach those positions, I don't know why you let either Cain or Thibs go.  Scuttlebutt is they weren't moving fast on connecting with Cain and he took the open offer at USC.  Not so much a decision as a lack of decision forcing an outcome.  I don't like that.  I'd prefer if BV made a call and had a plan versus just allowing it to happen.

Should've had a plan on the plane coming down.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

This is definitely a problem 

12 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Thibs has a solid recruiting resume, but nothing spectacular. Gabe Dindy was the only top 60 commit of Thib's career, and his recruitment was a one-off. He's an OU legacy whose family seems to be more interested in Gabe's development as a good Christian soldier than as a football player. Gabe's dad in a 247 article discussing Gabe's commitment to OU: "We addressed with [the coach] if we’ll have to be in position to make a decision whether to be at practice or be at worship." Later in the same article: "Coach Riley let me know conversations we had shed some light on some things he can do better in his program as far as the spirituality of it."

The Dindys also insisted on Gabe playing DE when most everyone wanted him at 3 tech. Clemson, Bama and tOSU weren't finalists for Gabe because they told him they would play Gabe where the coaches see him as the best fit (3 tech). LR, ever the BS artist savant, insisted OU only wanted Gabe at DE. I presume Jimbo is telling them the same.

Don't get me wrong, I think Gabe is a great player and would still love him for him to come to OU. I'm not trying to downplay the loss at all. My point is just that if you're basing your eval of Thibs on his recruitment of Dindy, I think that's fool's gold.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

Thibs has a solid recruiting resume, but nothing spectacular. Gabe Dindy was the only top 60 commit of Thib's career, and his recruitment was a one-off. He's an OU legacy whose family seems to be more interested in Gabe's development as a good Christian soldier than as a football player. Gabe's dad in a 247 article discussing Gabe's commitment to OU: "We addressed with [the coach] if we’ll have to be in position to make a decision whether to be at practice or be at worship." Later in the same article: "Coach Riley let me know conversations we had shed some light on some things he can do better in his program as far as the spirituality of it."

The Dindys also insisted on Gabe playing DE when most everyone wanted him at 3 tech. Clemson, Bama and tOSU weren't finalists for Gabe because they told him they would play Gabe where the coaches see him as the best fit (3 tech). LR, ever the BS artist savant, insisted OU only wanted Gabe at DE. I presume Jimbo is telling them the same.

Don't get me wrong, I think Gabe is a great player and would still love him for him to come to OU. I'm not trying to downplay the loss at all. My point is just that if you're basing your eval of Thibs on his recruitment of Dindy, I think that's fool's gold.

I would give Thibbs credit for Kevin Gilliam and Ethan Downs also, both of whom seem promising and seem to be relatively scheme flexible also. The firing of Thibodeaux had to hurt both of them because Thibbs played for Venables at OU.

I view Cain as the bigger loss.

If Todd Bates (current Clemson DL coach) ends up as DL coach, and can recruit like he did at Clemson, it won't matter.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

Appreciate you clearing that up. I don't follow ou recruiting other than this site, so it's good to at least get an idea of how it went down, etc. I'm with you that Jimbo is telling the kid whatever he wants to hear. He's Mack Brown level snake oil salesman. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, quigley said:

I would give Thibbs credit for Kevin Gilliam and Ethan Downs also, both of whom seem promising and seem to be relatively scheme flexible also. The firing of Thibodeaux had to hurt both of them because Thibbs played for Venables at OU.

I view Cain as the bigger loss.

If Todd Bates (current Clemson DL coach) ends up as DL coach, and can recruit like he did at Clemson, it won't matter.

Gilliam was a nice pull. I think Downs was going to OU even if a wasted Howard Schnellenberger (RIP) were recruiting him. Neither were top 100 composite players and both are the type of guys who any coach at OU should be able to get. I generally think Thibs did a solid job and am not trying to hate on him at all, but I do think it should be fairly easy to at worst replicate his level of recruiting success.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

With Bonnito and Winfrey going pro, they are losing a ton on D.   You hate to see it.

This was known. There were thoughts that Winfrey would go pro last year.

If OU can keep the portal defections down, there may be overall improvement in the defense.

6 minutes ago, quigley said:

This was known. There were thoughts that Winfrey would go pro last year.

If OU can keep the portal defections down, there may be overall improvement in the defense.

I'm not going to pretend to know the OU defensive depth chart but how can you lose your 2 best D players and a bunch of seniors and expect improvement (other than just the BV impact)?