OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

texifornia

3 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Indispensable part.  They needed someone with a vision for how to compete in the new climate, and a history of getting that off the ground in two of the biggest success story programs of the last 20 years.

Yes at Alabama and then Clemson.

Interestingly, he ran for Alabama state senate as a Republican prior to getting deep into CFB.

My Clemson friend knows him. He wants to be an athletic director.

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

Yes at Alabama and then Clemson.

Interestingly, he ran for Alabama state senate as a Republican prior to getting deep into CFB.

My Clemson friend knows him. He wants to be an athletic director.

What's his age versus Joe C.?  Would he be seeing this as a successorship if Joe is ready to go in a few years?

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Does the whole church-as-bagman thing not work in Oklahoma?

I think that's the question.  Is there a need to do it the same way?  It worked for Clemson because Dabo pushed his faith so much.  Now with NIL, is the methodology equal, or behind the times.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Indispensable part.  They needed someone with a vision for how to compete in the new climate, and a history of getting that off the ground in two of the biggest success story programs of the last 20 years.

Dunno what I expected when I googled Thad Turnipseed after reading this description, but it wasn't this.

At Alabama, Clemson everything matters in building champs - ABC News

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Be interesting to see if OU booster decide to pay up.  I see CWs side to it - he wants to be paid, but to be the leader of the team with basically a guaranteed starting position next year yet guys know he's for sale and would sell them and OU out to the highest bidder... lots of sides to it.

I expect this to be common for many top performing freshman/soph players going forward though.... pay me (more) or I might leave. They are worth a lot to a program.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Be interesting to see if OU booster decide to pay up.  I see CWs side to it - he wants to be paid, but to be the leader of the team with basically a guaranteed starting position next year yet guys know he's for sale and would sell them and OU out to the highest bidder... lots of sides to it.

I expect this to be common for many top performing freshman/soph players going forward though.... pay me (more) or I might leave. They are worth a lot to a program.

Why should a big money program even recruit?  Just poach freshmen and sophomores from other teams.  Find the good ones and money whip them.

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

They're putting this out publicly as a development opportunity versus a money one.  I have zero inside information, but if it leaks that he's getting a ton of money from somewhere without a credible QB coach/OC, that's going to ruffle feathers as you said.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

They're putting this out publicly as a development opportunity versus a money one.  I have zero inside information, but if it leaks that he's getting a ton of money from somewhere without a credible QB coach/OC, that's going to ruffle feathers as you said.

I agree, and I think we should believe them.

The kid and family have proceeded a very logical way so far with development for the NFL as the priority. I listed the schools that have produced first round NFL QBs in the last 5 years elsewhere, but to summarize, these schools have produced 2: ND St, OU, Bama, Clemson, Ohio St. So there isn't a slam dunk place for him to go. He'll get 1-2m anywhere. Money isn't the issue here.

Assuming he leaves Norman, I think ND, Ole Miss, or SC, in that order are the likely destinations. Todd Monken's been in the NFL and done miserably there. If he ends up in Georgia, it would indicate the family's priorities were not clearly stated.

6 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

I think it will be a real challenge for blOU fans to separate the impact of Riley's departure from the colossal shift in recruiting. CW entering the portal is indicative of both, but the latter is why he's definitely gone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I would have said Ole Miss as well, but I'd be afraid of Kiffin bolting next offseason. You know they don't want to get burned twice. I'd watch pedo st, too. 

Agree with Kiffin it's always a crap shoot. Penn St is near DC (relatively), but their offense is hooorrrible.

If he's thinking near DC, Clemson and UNC could be options. DJ U hasn't exactly locked down the job there and Howell is gone after becoming a top NFL prospect.

I can't see ND being the choice bc of NIL and QB track record. Ole Miss seems to be ponying up for Zach Evans, why not Caleb too..

Miami could also be an interesting sleeper depending on their OC choice. 

26 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Has Gabriel not signed with UCLA yet? @Sbbruin

He has (school started today), and has been actively recruiting the Polynesian pipeline to join him.  He's not going anywhere.  Nice try, @Constant. Hard to recruit a QB if the current starter hasn't committed to leave.  

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Does anyone have a roster and depth chart for OU that includes only the current players still there and the current recruiting class coming in?

This is from the Sooner board, from today.  (CW is in the Unsure category, Mario under Leaving, could be a function of timing of updates.) Hope it helps.

Update: Only 6 players that we're unsure of as the calendar switches to 2022...New commit Barnes added to the bottom list.

Leaving or graduating (24) 

Quarterbacks
Rattler
Schafer

Running backs
Brooks

H-Backs/TEs
Hall
Stogner

Wide receivers
Haselwood

M. Williams

O-Linemen
Hayes
Felix
McIver
Robinson
Swenson

D-Linemen
Stokes
Thomas
Winfrey

DE/Edge rushers
Bonitto

Linebackers
Kelly
Mead
J. Morris
Asamoah

Cornerbacks
none

Safeties/NBs
Fields

Turner-Yell

Special teams
S. Jones (holder)
Brkic

Staying (55)

Quarterbacks
Bowens
Rucker (PWO)

Running backs
Major
Gray

H-Backs/TEs
Willis

Wide receivers
Darby
West
Stoops
Farooq (?)
Jackson

Mims

Wease

Woods

O-Linemen
Brey Walker
Alexander
Harrison
Hicks
Murray
Raym
W. Morris
Simpson
Anderson
Byrd
Montgomery
Parks

D-Linemen
Roberson
Coe
Ellison
Kelley
Gilliam
Redmond

DE/Edge rushers
Grimes
Wete
Arinze

Brynden Walker
Downs
Rawlins-Kibonge
Smith

Linebackers
Whitter
Ugwoegbu
Stutsman

Cornerbacks
Eaton
Graham
W. Washington
Davis
Dennis
McCutchin

Safeties/NBs
Criddell
Lawrence
Bowman
Harmon
Mukes
B. Washington

Special teams
Kelleher (deep snapper)
Turk (punter)

Unsure as of today (6)

Quarterbacks
C. Williams

Running backs
none

H-Backs/TEs
none

Wide receivers
none

O-Linemen
Congel

D-Linemen
none

DE/Edge rushers
Stripling

Linebackers
White

Cornerbacks
none

Safeties/NBs
Broiles

Special teams
Mundschau (punter)

2022 Commits (17) (2 portal transfers)

Quarterbacks
Evers

Running backs
Sawchuk

Barnes (added 1/2)

H-Backs/TEs
Llewellyn
Helms

Parker (portal)

Wide receivers
Gibson
Anderson

O-Linemen
Sexton
Taylor

Mettauer (portal)

D-Linemen
Roberts
Tarber

DE/Edge rushers
none

Linebackers
McKinzie
Lewis
Kanak

Cornerbacks
Rowe
Williams (unsigned)

Safeties/NBs
Spears-Jennings

Special teams
none

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

Well, I’m seeing some 9.95 stating he’s 65/35 coming to OU. Not sure how that all works out. 

So Williams says OU is still an option, but needs to enter the portal to see who the highest bidder is.  Meanwhile Gabriel commits despite not knowing if Williams is coming back.  Then Williams comes back.  That wouldn't work out well for him.  I think it is OU thinking "why wouldn't anybody and everybody want to come here?  WE'RE OU!".  Well, for one, the QB whisperer is across town here.  So there's that.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So Williams says OU is still an option, but needs to enter the portal to see who the highest bidder is.  Meanwhile Gabriel commits despite not knowing if Williams is coming back.  Then Williams comes back.  That wouldn't work out well for him.  I think it is OU thinking "why wouldn't anybody and everybody want to come here?  WE'RE OU!".  Well, for one, the QB whisperer is across town here.  So there's that.  

We’ll see. I’m seeing we’ll know by later this week. 

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

This is from the Sooner board, from today.  (CW is in the Unsure category, Mario under Leaving, could be a function of timing of updates.) Hope it helps.

Update: Only 6 players that we're unsure of as the calendar switches to 2022...New commit Barnes added to the bottom list.

Leaving or graduating (24) 

Quarterbacks
Rattler
Schafer

Running backs
Brooks

H-Backs/TEs
Hall
Stogner

Wide receivers
Haselwood

M. Williams

O-Linemen
Hayes
Felix
McIver
Robinson
Swenson

D-Linemen
Stokes
Thomas
Winfrey

DE/Edge rushers
Bonitto

Linebackers
Kelly
Mead
J. Morris
Asamoah

Cornerbacks
none

Safeties/NBs
Fields

Turner-Yell

Special teams
S. Jones (holder)
Brkic

Staying (55)

Quarterbacks
Bowens
Rucker (PWO)

Running backs
Major
Gray

H-Backs/TEs
Willis

Wide receivers
Darby
West
Stoops
Farooq (?)
Jackson

Mims

Wease

Woods

O-Linemen
Brey Walker
Alexander
Harrison
Hicks
Murray
Raym
W. Morris
Simpson
Anderson
Byrd
Montgomery
Parks

D-Linemen
Roberson
Coe
Ellison
Kelley
Gilliam
Redmond

DE/Edge rushers
Grimes
Wete
Arinze

Brynden Walker
Downs
Rawlins-Kibonge
Smith

Linebackers
Whitter
Ugwoegbu
Stutsman

Cornerbacks
Eaton
Graham
W. Washington
Davis
Dennis
McCutchin

Safeties/NBs
Criddell
Lawrence
Bowman
Harmon
Mukes
B. Washington

Special teams
Kelleher (deep snapper)
Turk (punter)

Unsure as of today (6)

Quarterbacks
C. Williams

Running backs
none

H-Backs/TEs
none

Wide receivers
none

O-Linemen
Congel

D-Linemen
none

DE/Edge rushers
Stripling

Linebackers
White

Cornerbacks
none

Safeties/NBs
Broiles

Special teams
Mundschau (punter)

2022 Commits (17) (2 portal transfers)

Quarterbacks
Evers

Running backs
Sawchuk

Barnes (added 1/2)

H-Backs/TEs
Llewellyn
Helms

Parker (portal)

Wide receivers
Gibson
Anderson

O-Linemen
Sexton
Taylor

Mettauer (portal)

D-Linemen
Roberts
Tarber

DE/Edge rushers
none

Linebackers
McKinzie
Lewis
Kanak

Cornerbacks
Rowe
Williams (unsigned)

Safeties/NBs
Spears-Jennings

Special teams
none

So they've got 55 including a PWO, Farooq, a deep snapper and the punter? That plus call it half of the 6 for which they're "unsure" puts you at 58. Best case. Now you've got 17 guys joining things on campus + a new QB transfer, which leads to 76 players on the roster. That assumes no further departures and no new signees or incoming transfers. 

I think OU could legimately be fielding a team next year with like 70 actual scholarship players. The starting roster versus what's returning looks like a total wipeout. Like 7 or 8 returning starters? Then you've got bread on the OL, in the secondary and at QB? Huh. I'm trying to figure out how this winds up in OU's favor and we get fucked but I can't find it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think OU could legimately be fielding a team next year with like 70 actual scholarship players. 

I’m pretty sure they could just claim Covid and skip the whole season then. 

Or so some collie bitch told me after she barked and dismissed class. 

Edited by Tex Pete

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

He has (school started today), and has been actively recruiting the Polynesian pipeline to join him.  He's not going anywhere.  Nice try, @Constant. Hard to recruit a QB if the current starter hasn't committed to leave.  

I think it just comes down to the staff and if they want to wait and see and potentially get burned. Everything I’m reading says otherwise. They may not want to wait around and end up with scraps. Apparently Gabriel is obtainable, but I don’t understand the ins-n-outs there. They may give Williams a deadline and move on. 

Edited by Constant

9 minutes ago, Constant said:

I think it just comes down to the staff and if they want to wait and see and potentially get burned. Everything I’m reading says otherwise. They may not want to wait around and end up with scraps. Apparently Gabriel is obtainable, but I don’t understand the ins-n-outs there. They may give Williams a deadline and move on. 

Would be devastating to lose Gabriel.  And typical UCLA.

spacer.png

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

So they've got 55 including a PWO, Farooq, a deep snapper and the punter? That plus call it half of the 6 for which they're "unsure" puts you at 58. Best case. Now you've got 17 guys joining things on campus + a new QB transfer, which leads to 76 players on the roster. That assumes no further departures and no new signees or incoming transfers. 

I think OU could legimately be fielding a team next year with like 70 actual scholarship players. The starting roster versus what's returning looks like a total wipeout. Like 7 or 8 returning starters? Then you've got bread on the OL, in the secondary and at QB? Huh. I'm trying to figure out how this winds up in OU's favor and we get fucked but I can't find it. 

37 on offense and 36 on defense, including this years class. This includes two portals already (TE, G). Minus Caleb and Mario Williams, that leaves 35 on offense.

I said this on this board a week ago. OU would've had to go into the portal hard already because this is a big class leaving and they lost steam on most of the high school recruits they had in their sights when Riley left.

Defensive improvement could come with more sound schemes, better skill development, better S&C, better snap distribution. All of this could be true based on improvement in defensive staff and S&C.  Counterbalancing this is that the best four players on defense left for the league, and all should be drafted.

Offensive improvement could come from a better running game because of better OL play and RB. OL play this year was hampered by poor conditioning and lack of development at OT. Better S&C and scheme could yield better OL play. OU brings in two top 10 backs this year to replace Kennedy Brooks. If the QB is replacement level, OU wins between 7 - 9 in the regular season. If they get Caleb back or Dillon Gabriel, OU's top ten again.

Edited by quigley
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Fuck me.

Watch y'all get Jaxson Dart if Caleb goes to USC. The musical chairs are still spinning...

But honestly fuck Gabriel if I were a UCLA fan. Flipping this late is weak af. Guess they should've pressured him to sign earlier.

• Hook 'Em 2