2018 Body Transformation Thread

On 5/16/2018 at 6:30 PM, El Diablo said:

Anybody here buy the HEB  brand sparkling water? I got a 12 pack of the grapefruit flavor and I'm not real fond of it. It just doesn't have much flavoring to it. I'd be willing to try some more if there's a good flavor rec. 

I like the lemon.

49 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

I like the lemon.

Girl I work with says that the orange and berry drinks are decent too. I'll buy some more in a variety, they're alright for a change of pace and I'll drink them regardless. Cheap and no-cal. When I bought the grapefruit they didn't have much on the shelf so hopefully next trip they will.

520be8b2cafac087ed66da97abad3e44.jpg

In ketosis as of now.

Taco meat with guac cheese and sour cream. Top it off with pick and valentina. Dip with some rinds and polish it off with a jack and Coke Zero double. Should I cross post to the shank thread?

• Like 1

Subscribed. I'm getting fatter and lazier. A couple months ago i tried to make myself exercise because I saw the path I was going.. did it for a couple days and then feel out of doing it before it became an effective habit. Have ALL the tools in the world I need between Work gym, daily walk from / to train for work. A great Outdoor space across the street from my apartment. Gotta do something and it all starts with the Diet. I love to cook but have even stopped doing that because it's a chore. 

Time to read this thread and make some damn changes. 

I would guess I'm hovering close to 235-240 now... and in the worst shape of my life. Need to drop around 50lbs.. and I know the last 20 will be the hardest. 

Edited by msudawg

On 3/30/2018 at 2:42 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Yes sir. We talked about it upthread.

KetoOs was expensive and I use Perfect Keto to help transition back in after slipping out of keto.

Not sure where it was talked about before..but interested. I have been thinking about buying this stuff for a while..

714StaeWnRL._SX522_.jpg

Seems like if you want to get back into keto, just don't eat for a day and then the next day keep your carbs at 20g or less.  That should put you into ketosis.  The body only stores a set amount of glycogen for short term use and it ain't all that much. 

From the FAQ on the /keto subreddit:

How long will it take to reach ketosis?

Ketosis begins when liver glycogen is depleted, and the amount of glycogen in the liver only provides enough glucose for 12-16 hours. Thus, when you limit carbs to 20 net grams, it takes no longer than 24 hours to enter ketosis.

3 hours ago, Elvis Presto said:

ive used that and i guess it works but its pricey.  you need mct oil more than that keto drink mix. 

Thanks. I don't think I would use it all the time but thought it would be a way to help with the transition into keto. or after a cheat meal to get quickly back in. Or I might just be completely wrong..... There might not be any way to know other than pissing on a strip.

I do already have some mct oil. But haven't worked it into anything yet. I don't drink coffee actually

714-moyGNWL._SX522_.jpg

10 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Seems like if you want to get back into keto, just don't eat for a day and then the next day keep your carbs at 20g or less.  That should put you into ketosis.  The body only stores a set amount of glycogen for short term use and it ain't all that much. 

From the FAQ on the /keto subreddit:

How long will it take to reach ketosis?

Ketosis begins when liver glycogen is depleted, and the amount of glycogen in the liver only provides enough glucose for 12-16 hours. Thus, when you limit carbs to 20 net grams, it takes no longer than 24 hours to enter ketosis.

This is what I've done the couple of times I've slipped off of the Keto train. Pretty much fasted the next day and then went to fats the day after that and then started mixing the veggies back in. Any bit of water weight I might have picked up during the day or so that I cheated seems to be flushed pretty quickly (read that however you want).

Down to 282 this morning.  34 pounds lost since April 6.  Feeling great.  I've noticed that my hunger pains are pretty much gone and I'm only eating once a day with a snack of mixed nuts at either 1 PM or 8 PM.  Dinner consists of low carb food (eggs last night, salad night before).  Mainly drinking coffee and about 2 gallons of water per day.  No sodas or anything of that nature. 

Had a 6 pack of tall boys last Friday when I went to a concert.  Last Saturday, woke up and worked outside cementing beams in for a patio cover.  Checked my weight on Sunday and lost a pound from Friday morning to Sunday morning.  I'm assuming I sweated out the booze.  Amazing how much more confidence I feel in my appearance.  Can't wait to lose 34 more pounds.  Wife has been more in to me as well.  Feels good.  I need to hit the gym soon and start toning up.  Just gotta make time.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, deft said:

Yeah I purchased some liquid mct oil a while back but don’t drink coffee. Haven’t been able to work it into much of anything yet.

Yea.. some ideas I found this morning are bulletproof tea instead.. or just tea with mct. Another was Coconut water with mct and salt. 

Also, Greek Yogurt with MCT and Coconut flakes. 

Just some ideas I've upon. 

I've been doing "lazy" keto since mid-April.  Lazy meaning I'm not tracking my macros...instead I'm just eye-balling it.  So I'm sure I'm probably not religiously under the 20g of carbs per day and probably not hitting the fat target I should be.  Also started Intermittent Fasting the week after starting keto.  Started with 16:8, but quickly transitioned to one meal a day for about 4 days a week.  So far I've lost 18lbs.

How many of you doing keto are tracking your macros daily?  Do you feel that the tracking makes a difference and is necessary?  I'm just not disciplined enough to do the tracking, but I'm wondering how far "off" I am on my estimates.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

I've been doing "lazy" keto since mid-April.  Lazy meaning I'm not tracking my macros...instead I'm just eye-balling it.  So I'm sure I'm probably not religiously under the 20g of carbs per day and probably not hitting the fat target I should be.  Also started Intermittent Fasting the week after starting keto.  Started with 16:8, but quickly transitioned to one meal a day for about 4 days a week.  So far I've lost 18lbs.

How many of you doing keto are tracking your macros daily?  Do you feel that the tracking makes a difference and is necessary?  I'm just not disciplined enough to do the tracking, but I'm wondering how far "off" I am on my estimates.

Sounds like you are doing it just fine your way. Using an app like myfitnesspal makes tracking it pretty easy, just have to get used to the routine of entering your meals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

I track my macros.  It's pretty easy with MyFitnessPal.  And it's free.

I don't religiously keep carbs at 20g.  I try keeping it under 30, but I'm exercising every day, too.  The important part of tracking for me is making sure I keep my protein up.  It's easy to think you're getting enough protein when you're scarfing down bacon, hot pork sausage, eggs, etc.  The reality though is that your fat will be through the roof and your protein can be lagging behind the .6g per pound of lean body mass you need to retain your muscle mass.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

I don't religiously keep carbs at 20g.  I try keeping it under 30, but I'm exercising every day, too.  The important part of tracking for me is making sure I keep my protein up.  It's easy to think you're getting enough protein when you're scarfing down bacon, hot pork sausage, eggs, etc.  The reality though is that your fat will be through the roof and your protein can be lagging behind the .6g per pound of lean body mass you need to retain your muscle mass.

But this is why God gave us ribeye steaks, am I right?

3 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

2 gallons a day what the fuck man

I’ve had a few people tell me they had bad experiences with kidney stones when doing to low carb diet. They said their doctors told them they didn’t drink near enough water.

Drinking a ton of water helps me stay full for longer as well. Don’t have much hunger during the day while I’m drinking water. You should try it. I piss about 10 times during my 10 hour day at work.

22 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

I know I'm not getting enough fats in my diet. My protein level is probably very high and I keep my carbs usually below 15g, but its hard for me to get my fats in. I'm not a big fan of avocado, and don't really use coconut oil and excess butter. 

I've also heard/read don't force the fats. I know it is important in the keto diet, but I want to say it was Jason Wittrock that said don't force extra fats just cause you feel you "need" them. 

Down 11 pounds. 29 to go. 

I bought some Brain Octane to make homemade bulletproof coffee. It’s good, but damn that’s expensive. 

Just celebrated a month with some Sushi. Now I feel like crap. So worth it though. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 2

Hopped on the scale this morning and saw a number I haven't seen in years, 242. So, 17 weeks in and down roughly 17-18 lbs. Probably another week before I start to see it daily but I'm getting there. 1 pound a week is just fine with me, steady as she goes, Captain!

• Like 2

FInally had my physical this week.  The last 2-3 months (I thought) have been tough on the weight, between sciatica cutting into my physical activity and my mom's death and funeral (and a week of not eating my usual and going out a LOT and eating more than I wanted).

So, two weeks after I get back home and get into my food routine again, the doc's scale had me at 239!

Two-Thirty-Fucking-NINE!  And that was with shoes etc. So actually it was about 237!!!!

Woo-Hoo!!!

You might know it's been my goal for over a year now to crack 240.  I got quickly down to 242 or so from 286 but pretty much stalled there.

Until this week!

Celebrating, I promptly went out and ate the fucking Tex-Mex farm (ate a bowl of Queso Flameado + at least 50 chips + some queso + 2 tortillas. 

Who gives a fuck?  I cleared the bar!!  Finally!!!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 2

Gained 2 pounds over the weekend from eating good BBQ and stress drinking (I don't typically drink much at all).  Back up to 283.  Back to work and my normal life.  Last hurdle is a vacation up to Colorado in a few weeks then nothing planned for a long time.  Going to continue the low carb and try to keep at it while I'm on vacation.  I'm so close to being in 270s that I can taste it.

Support here is awesome.  Thanks guys.

I stayed true to the Keto diet this entire weekend with my family.

I ate 3 chips when we went for TexMex.  Ate combo fajitas, the onions/peppers, sour cream, and queso.

When we went to the Italian place, I had a ribeye, a Caesar salad (no croutons), and some broccoli covered in Alfredo and parm.

I had some almonds a couple of times, so that may have kicked me up past 20g, but I didn't eat anything glaringly carby.  My water intake definitely went down, as it always does when I'm not at work.

No scale all weekend, so I have no idea if I lost anything. My negative thinking is telling me I'm probably still stalled out. I'll find out tomorrow.

Day 1 done of Keto. Hey it's a damn start. came within 50cals of goal today. Carbs went a little higher than I meant (mid 30's).  Gotta start making some food myself.. can't eat a Roti steak salad every day. Plus Ham, cheese, and egg will get old quick .... starting weights around 235. Goal over next couple months is hit 215 as a start. ultimate goal is 185 area but I know getting under 200 will be a damn big accomplishment for me. 

• Like 1

For me the meal planning was everything at the beginning. As time goes on I've figured out what to shop for but at first I needed a couple weeks worth of easy to grab and go stuff that would keep me satiated. I fried up a lot of bacon, boiled a lot of eggs, made a lot of salads and kept a lot of ground beef and cheese on hand. Oh, and pork rinds for when nothing else sounded good or I just didn't want to mess with cooking. Sardines are another quick grab and eat item.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, msudawg said:

Day 1 done of Keto. Hey it's a damn start. came within 50cals of goal today. Carbs went a little higher than I meant (mid 30's).  Gotta start making some food myself.. can't eat a Roti steak salad every day. Plus Ham, cheese, and egg will get old quick .... starting weights around 235. Goal over next couple months is hit 215 as a start. ultimate goal is 185 area but I know getting under 200 will be a damn big accomplishment for me. 

What worked for me was not giving a shit about calories at the start.  I got my body fat-adapted for a couple weeks then started dialing in the calories for consistent weight loss.

Other easy foods: kippered herring, pumpkin seeds, bullion with a pat of butter, pickle spears, celery and onion dip, and sliced cucumbers are some of my go-tos. 

• Like 1

Couple of other things I stocked up on at first were butter, heavy cream, large bags of frozen veggies (throw in water, ready in minutes), salad dressing and toppings (just no croutons) and pickles. As time went on I figured out how long certain items would last and amended my shopping habits as needed but I didn't need an unwanted trip to the supermercado upsetting my diet plans. Too easy to get derailed for me. Now it's just routine but it wasn't at first.

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Couple of other things I stocked up on at first were butter, heavy cream, large bags of frozen veggies (throw in water, ready in minutes), salad dressing and toppings (just no croutons) and pickles. As time went on I figured out how long certain items would last and amended my shopping habits as needed but I didn't need an unwanted trip to the supermercado upsetting my diet plans. Too easy to get derailed for me. Now it's just routine but it wasn't at first.

I actually went to Tom Thumb last night to grab some hamburger meat but ended up stocking up on a bunch of different proteins that were discounted. Will go to Central market tonight to load up on Veggies. I can't do frozen veg because of the texture.  most veg i eat is roasted or steamed.  Already keep a steady supply of Kerrygold around so good on Butter.

Day 1 lesson was Dairy is more carb heavy than I thought...which is gonna suck. I'll slam a big mug of Raw Milk like it's nothing. Or eat a big bowl of Yogurt. Gotta have better control on those. 

Started last night with a tsp of Apple cider Vinegar to see if I could stand the taste..wasnt bad and helped with the hunger late at night.. so took a full tsp this morning with water. I'll add lemon tonight with it to help the taste a little but it's not bad.. I drink Sour beers all the time already so the flavor isn't off putting to me.

And for shits and giggles I did step on the scale last night... and was down 2lb's but that's all the water I'm pissing out. 

The plan for this week is get 3-4 days in of steady keto diet (i haven't peed on a strip yet). I might keep doing that through the weekend or go ahead and move to 16-8 fast. Either way, I',m planning to be doing a 16-8 on Monday. I'll get an hour of cardio in early in the morning during the fast and then break my fast at lunch time..several hours post workout. Read some interesting info about how effective Cardio is while fasting. And also how your HGH is highest in the morning during a fast and it's best to not eat immediately after working out because you will get the best results fat burning wish by not breaking the fast immediately with a post-workout drink. 

I haven't tried any of those Ketone supplements, but I've found that the quickest way to get back into Ketosis after a slip up is a fairly strenuous workout the following morning on an empty stomach. 

I've been bad at drinking enough water on regular days, let alone when I workout. Sometimes I'll get cramps in the middle of the night. I just ordered some of this stuff: 

81sBbgO5frL._SY550_.jpg

Edited by Mack Tripper

Lost 4 lbs over Memorial Day weekend.  Nice!  That's 66 lbs total since Jan. 10.

I would not waste money on bottled ketones or whatever. You're chasing ketones when you do. Don't bother. Just eat under 20g of carbs a day and you'll be entering or staying in ketosis. Once you're body is fat-adapted, ketone levels may not even be that high because your body is running more efficiently on them.

Day 2 was good. Ate way too much protein I think. Whole foods has rotisserie chickens for $6 if you have amazon prime. So between half a chicken and only a small salad and grilled veggies with it.. pushed my daily protein higher than my fat intake. But made up with it for dinner by eating some triple creme cheese. Started feeling a little bit of heaviness in the stomach last night. Just meant I needed to go make myself poop. So far today, I'm not hungry at all.. so just gonna skip breakfast and I guess thats technically my first 16-8 fast. Skipped my Apple cider vinegar this morning. Nothing but water and some Stur water drops (stevia) and not even hungry. Hell maybe will just skip lunch if I'm not hungry and go straight to a longer fast. 

and No I'm not gonna post every damn day like a Diary.. just trying to figure out what works. 

4 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Day 2 was good. Ate way too much protein I think. Whole foods has rotisserie chickens for $6 if you have amazon prime. So between half a chicken and only a small salad and grilled veggies with it.. pushed my daily protein higher than my fat intake. But made up with it for dinner by eating some triple creme cheese. Started feeling a little bit of heaviness in the stomach last night. Just meant I needed to go make myself poop. So far today, I'm not hungry at all.. so just gonna skip breakfast and I guess thats technically my first 16-8 fast. Skipped my Apple cider vinegar this morning. Nothing but water and some Stur water drops (stevia) and not even hungry. Hell maybe will just skip lunch if I'm not hungry and go straight to a longer fast. 

and No I'm not gonna post every damn day like a Diary.. just trying to figure out what works. 

Just be careful about your protein because too much can knock you out of ketosis just like too many carbs. Good luck, the diet works, just need to get into the routine of it. 

1 minute ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Just be careful about your protein because too much can knock you out of ketosis just like too many carbs. Good luck, the diet works, just need to get into the routine of it. 

Yea... did some reading on that this morning. Since I doubt I was actually in ketosis yet being day 2.. likely didn't hurt but didn't help. I'll get more strict on the protein intake going forward. Damnit. Gotta make some fatballs and bring some cheese to work.