On the bright side of COVID 19...

CooterBrown

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

1. Working from home.  Nearly every fucking white collar employer found they could do this successfully regardless of what old school management had said.

The majority of them will be slaving away at the office again once there's a vaccine. 

Edited by StruggleBus

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Kind of scary when you consider the mental state & financial status of a lot of folks right now. I know SA is currently on pace for a 30 year high in homicides, most places have also seen an uptick. 

Wait is this the good news thread?

Depends on who is getting shot.

Seriously though, have suicides increased too?

48 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

My son finished his engineering degree this summer primarily because he had to move home and subsequently got his shit together. Pre-COVID he was on track to fail out or drop out. Down side? We now have an unemployed 23 year old living with us.

How does one just scrape by for the duration of an engineering degree?  When I got mine, if you made it through the first two years then you were pretty safe from the flunk out / drop out scenario.  Of course only 30% or so made it to that magical two-year cutoff point.

How does one just scrape by for the duration of an engineering degree?  When I got mine, if you made it through the first two years then you were pretty safe from the flunk out / drop out scenario.  Of course only 30% or so made it to that magical two-year cutoff point.

He was getting by until he wasn’t. Kicked the can down the road until he couldn’t.

I can work with no pants on. 

I can roll out of bed at 7:55am.

Did the math and I haven’t worn pants or a collared shirt in 156 days. I sleep until 8, log on to Teams, put my mouse on the Liberty Mouse Mover to keep my status green, go make breakfast, start doing a bit of work around 9:45. Living my best life.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Did the math and I haven’t worn pants or a collared shirt in 156 days. I sleep until 8, log on to Teams, put my mouse on the Liberty Mouse Mover to keep my status green, go make breakfast, start doing a bit of work around 9:45. Living my best life.

Man, just like me. I downloaded 'Caffeine' to keep my mouse moving. 

Man, just like me. I downloaded 'Caffeine' to keep my mouse moving. 

Went with the Liberty since it’s mechanical, there’s nothing Installed that can be tracked by IT.

Original Mouse Mover with 3rd gen electr. simulate Random Left/Right, On/Off Mouse Movement, Cannot be Tracked. Freedom! Designed, Assembled in U.S. Help Support US Business. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6HBD1N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SrFnFbVKQGSGA

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Went with the Liberty since it’s mechanical, there’s nothing Installed that can be tracked by IT.

Original Mouse Mover with 3rd gen electr. simulate Random Left/Right, On/Off Mouse Movement, Cannot be Tracked. Freedom! Designed, Assembled in U.S. Help Support US Business. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6HBD1N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SrFnFbVKQGSGA

That's awesome! I work for a local government software development company and a lot of our sites get Ransomware because their IT blows. We have to reload our software and help them with backups. We remote into their servers and there is a lot of copying/backing up and downtime. We are encouraged to use the mouse moving software that way we don't have to call the site and ask them to put in their password because it locked us out due to inactivity because we are literally watching a progress bar. 

Edited by Bash Riprock

15 hours ago, Mole said:

On a less trivial note, I suspect that in the coming years and decades, we'll see many medical advances directly developing from this one moment. Having the entire world working on one problem has its advantages.

GTFO here with your hopefulness.  We won't.  Shit, if anything, the entire world has learned about the effectiveness of a future weaponized virus against certain nations.  Hint: we have a HUGE target on our back now.

22 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Fucking America man.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

GTFO here with your hopefulness.  We won't.  Shit, if anything, the entire world has learned about the effectiveness of a future weaponized virus against certain nations.  Hint: we have a HUGE target on our back now.

Jesus man, why don't you just do everyone a favor and jump off a bridge.  I mean, you are not wrong, but this is the "bright side of covid thread" debbie downer. 

• Like 1

There’s a virus released in America that stays in America.

424a5b5f78c3ba6c0b28e6792652b4b0.gif

Jesus man, why don't you just do everyone a favor and jump off a bridge.  I mean, you are not wrong, but this is the "bright side of covid thread" debbie downer. 

What, and miss the show that is the self-immolation of the Republic? Not a chance. It’s the last hurrah, I’m gonna be here for it.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What, and miss the show that is the self-immolation of the Republic? Not a chance. It’s the last hurrah, I’m gonna be here for it.

I think that our generation misses out on the real fireworks.  I think our grandchildren get the real fireworks. 

1) I haven’t worked in the office since March 15th. My old school CFO is shocked that the finance/accounting department can do our jobs remotely. I go in to sign checks once every 10 days and am there for 20 minutes. 

2) I don’t go to the gym and haven’t since March but I took up running. I’m 185 pounds and have been that weight for the last 5 months because of running and not eating shit food at restaurants. Eating healthier is easier.

3) Taken up grilling/smoking meat as a new hobby. About to buy a new grill.

4) Working from home has been good with my wife who also works from home.

5) I see my 4 year old boy a lot more now that I’m not leaving the house at 7 am and getting home at 6:1 pm from work and only able to spend an hour with him during weekdays.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My job was getting really terrible and potentially I was moving to Ohio. Glass half full - I'm out of the deteriorating work situation, doesn't look like I'll be having any children who are native to Ohio, and I *crosses fingers* think I'm about to have the next thing in place with a few months of severance left.

My wife doesn’t complain about my drinking anymore. Matter of fact, with the world being as fucked up as it is right now, she kinda get’s it. 

In all seriousness, I’ve spent more time since March (damn near every day) with my 3 yr old daughter. I would never have gotten that pre-COVID. Working from home and removing her from daycare has been a blessing and made us  pretty much inseparable. 

On 8/13/2020 at 5:51 PM, Helobious said:

Kind of scary when you consider the mental state & financial status of a lot of folks right now. I know SA is currently on pace for a 30 year high in homicides, most places have also seen an uptick. 

Wait is this the good news thread?

You seem to be scared a lot