2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can I get some recommendations on a good set of value oriented binoculars? Not looking to drop a thousand for somethings that's gonna see blind use mostly. 

I love Steiner for the price point on German glass:

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/steiner-military-marine-10x25mm-binocular.html?_iv_code=ST-BI-1025MMB-2037&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAy579BRCPARIsAB6QoIbtd-xyHTDgx8Wk1GCNLPDuJY6EePXVowYKxST6-02Mopnj2BXmIiQaApE6EALw_wcB

CHIEF

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Can I get some recommendations on a good set of value oriented binoculars? Not looking to drop a thousand for somethings that's gonna see blind use mostly. 

I’m a big fan of tract optics; bought some 8x42 a couple of years and and was blown away by the quality and build. They are Jap glass with ultra HD lenses and serious technology for the price

www.tractoptics.com

You can really tell the difference in low light situations with a good pair.

Edited by cknight
  • Hook 'Em 1

Had a great time getting out of town for a couple days but wasn’t going to shoot a deer due to the heat. I ended up shooting two hogs and we shot 6 total. My brother killed his first animal (hog) with an open sight Marlin .45-70. Really cool to see someone else get to hunt for the first time!2f601f27c7045b74bdfbf26a8d252bc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Freezer will be stuffed after this morning!

Took the first at about 140yards took about 4 steps and dropped face first in some mud and the 2nd didn’t know which way to run so she ran right towards me and I hit her broadside at about 50 yards. Hit her perfectly and she dropped instantly.

Left a third smaller doe with her fawn to get bigger despite them basically circling my stand for about 20 minutes even after I intentionally ghosted myself so they’d go away...

d89c64ea3994b011cd429b9d64a72d7e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Price point?  Say, < $500 ($400-$450 actually)

Look at the NIkon Monarch 7, Kowa BD II, Leo pro guide HD, Vortex Viper, and Meopta Meopro HD (Note, these are all indicated @ 10x42)

• Cheapest - Kowa
  • Lightest - Kowa
  • More ER - Meopro
  • Widest FOV - Kowa or Monarch

Keep in mind most binos are actually pretty close in their specifications.  For many, eye relief spec is the most important, as lack prevents usage while wearing glasses.  The amount of ER for glasses wearers is so user specific.  

There is also the Meopta Optika that runs close to $300.  IMO, specs VERY close to those in the $500 range with similar build quality.  I have also seen many great reviews on the SIG Zulu 7 ($499).  

12811994.png

I have become such a fan of glass.  Football games.  Hunting.  Most every time I step foot on the ranch, I have my chest rig tee'd up in case I see something or I'm scouting.  

Edited by BabaYaga

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Anyone still process their own deer or take it to be processed?  I tend to do both, but more and more doing much of it myself.  Need a grinder/stuffer for sausage, then I think I will do the entire thing myself, nose to tail.  

We have been processing our own the past few years.  My two best friends have a grinder and a sausage stuffer - I supply the deer hunting.  We will generally take the backstraps, tenderloins, maybe some hams or steaks, and then bone out and chunk up the rest and grind into hamburger, and then set a date to get together and make a batch of sausage.  I'm fortunate in that my brother gets his stuff processed for free (oil patch perks - matter of fact he's down at King Ranch today trying to shoot a nilgai), so I get jerky, snack sticks and summer sausage from him most years.

Having a group to do it with makes it a lot easier and somewhat fun - I had kinda lost the energy to do it myself, and I'm not poor the cost hauling stuff to and paying a processor wasn't really worth shooting one.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My two best friends have a grinder and a sausage stuffer - I supply the deer hunting.  We will generally take the backstraps, tenderloins, maybe some hams or steaks, and then bone out and chunk up the rest and grind into hamburger, and then set a date to get together and make a batch of sausage.

That's what I envision.  I already bone out "steaks" and often the shoulder for brazing and slow cooking.  I will probably continue to do a mix of both.  Often the temp factors in - too hot to hang, then I haul direct to the processor.  If cooler, I will hang and then get after it later.  

14 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

matter of fact he's down at King Ranch today trying to shoot a nilgai

That's awesome.  Some of the best eating there is.  Steve Rinella was lamenting about some cattle ranchers that also sponsor Nilgai hunts and how they claim the beef is for selling, but the Nilgai...that's for us to eat!  Big, tough animals that look like they are from another planet.  

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That's what I envision.  I already bone out "steaks" and often the shoulder for brazing and slow cooking.  I will probably continue to do a mix of both.  Often the temp factors in - too hot to hang, then I haul direct to the processor.  If cooler, I will hang and then get after it later.  

That's awesome.  Some of the best eating there is.  Steve Rinella was lamenting about some cattle ranchers that also sponsor Nilgai hunts and how they claim the beef is for selling, but the Nilgai...that's for us to eat!  Big, tough animals that look like they are from another planet.  

Yup, I just grilled up the last 6 small backstrap steaks last night, from one he shot in February.  Medium rare and so tender compared to the venison backstrap chunks I grilled along with it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Been AWOL from the thread recently, got a funky looking buck the second weekend of bow season to get some meat in the freezer.
cc29ba6f304c1536cfbd8dead61ed9a2.jpg

Dad got a doe this past weekend using an old Savage .30-30 bolt action that hasn’t seen action since 1974. He grew up hunting with that gun, so it was a little bit of a homecoming for him. Callback to the days of having to find a fork in a tree to sit in while wearing blue jeans and a red plaid hunting shirt. 02cfa9c20c06f8ba207bb378ec722489.jpg

And finally, this is the guy we’re all after. He looks like an old buck, and one of our hunters has drawn on him but was unable to get a shot off on him. He has tiny little browtines, but the G2s and G3s look magnificient.

ff1710de2f038348814c04b5de388e6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Probably the out and out best "hunt" in Texas too.  I used to have a vendor that would take us every other year to the King Ranch.  One year for mgt hunt, the next for Nilgai.  Man I miss those days.  Just knowing you had 30k acres/day allotted to you to hunt made it exciting.  Magical place. 

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Still have four more packs of this left.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Probably the out and out best "hunt" in Texas too.  I used to have a vendor that would take us every other year to the King Ranch.  One year for mgt hunt, the next for Nilgai.  Man I miss those days.  Just knowing you had 30k acres/day allotted to you to hunt made it exciting.  Magical place. 

The brown females look like someone gave a whitetail doe ALL the steroids....if you didn't know what it is, and saw it for the first time, you'd think a deer and a cow had relations.  

nilgai-boselaphus-tragocamelus-female-ke

• Hook 'Em 1

@Noogman, cool story on your dad and that gun.  The last few deer I’ve taken, I shot with a .280 Remington Woodsmaster from the early 1960s that belonged to my great uncle.

And sorry to derail the thread, but talking about processing your own meat and making sausage - I found these pics of my great grandfather and some friends/family deer hunting, butchering a hog and making sausage in the early 1930s.  At some ranch near Yoakum.  

Deer:

spacer.png 

Grandpa Mac scraping/butchering a small hog:

spacer.png

Boning for sausage:

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Anyone still process their own deer or take it to be processed?  I tend to do both, but more and more doing much of it myself.  Need a grinder/stuffer for sausage, then I think I will do the entire thing myself, nose to tail.  

I have never taken a deer to a processor. I process everything the same for each deer. One will be left in large cuts, next one/two I grind into chili and make sausage with some. I know 100% how the meat was treated from field to table and I don't get the half-assed trimming the processors do. Some are much better than others but I prefer the extra work for the piece of mind.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Speaking of processing, Miiller's Meats in Llano is out of the processing business. 

Brian Miiller was doing about 2k game animals a year, but their commercial business has taken off to the point that the game income wasn't worth the hassle.  Miiller's did a great job for 40+ years, but all things come to an end I guess.

Sheppard's Taxidermy (across from Coopers) bought some of Miiller's equipment, hired his venison sausage guy, and has gone into the processing business using Miiller's recipes and getting their pork and fat from them as well.  Early results have been good.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Speaking of processing, Miiller's Meats in Llano is out of the processing business. 

Brian Miiller was doing about 2k game animals a year, but their commercial business has taken off to the point that the game income wasn't worth the hassle.  Miiller's did a great job for 40+ years, but all things come to an end I guess.

Sheppard's Taxidermy (across from Coopers) bought some of Miiller's equipment, hired his venison sausage guy, and has gone into the processing business using Miiller's recipes and getting their pork and fat from them as well.  Early results have been good.

Good information to have. Another guy on our lease and I both live in the Austin area, so Miiller's was an easy enough drop off point on the way back from Mason, even if it is a little pricey. The other hunter was pretty bummed when he found out they weren't processing deer anymore. 

Edited by Noogman

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

My BIL goes with a vendor each year to the King Ranch. He is the CSO of Austin Wood Recycling, and they company that makes their plastic bags for mulch takes him. Got about 50 lbs. of it in my freezer.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Noogman said:

Good information to have. Another guy on our lease and I both live in the Austin area, so Miiller's was an easy enough drop off point on the way back from Mason, even if it is a little pricey. The other hunter was pretty bummed when he found out they weren't processing deer anymore. 

Sheppard's is just as convenient.  One block behind and one block east of their taxidermy shop - (and those are small blocks in Llano).  You can see it from the highway just behind Sonic.

I've done business with Brian Miiller for over 40 years and with the Sheppards for 10-15 years.  I'm sorry to see Brian go.  I went in and talked to him 2-3 weeks ago and he was visibly upset and conflicted about the decision, but knew it was what he had to do.  His working with the Sheppards was the only endorsement I needed to give them a try.

The meat I've picked up from bow season was done well, packaged properly, and reasonably priced.  I'd give them a try if you are used to Miillers.

• Hook 'Em 1

If y'all are doing a North approach back in to Austin on Highway 29 through Liberty Hill, I can heartily recommend Hunters Creek, a couple of miles north of the Highway 29 and US 183 intersection (Seward's Junction) on US 183 north of 3405.  These guys do a great job -- they have a big picture window where you can watch the processing and it's easy to see how they make sure that the deer you bring in is the deer that you end up with.  They also have a pretty cool video system that lets you check in a deer after hours.  Link:  https://hunterscreekprocessing.com/

I am wondering how people get to a quartered deer. I used to field dress then skin and hang or throw it in the cooler to hang. I have gone to a new method on my place. Due to the fact I can have the deer fully quartered in 30 min or less assuming a clean kill, I don't gut in the field anymore. I take it back to camp asap, hang by the hind legs and have it quartered out in 10 min or less. I get all the meat off the deer I can before dumping the guts out of the rib cage and either keeping the rib meat if possible or just dumping it if I didn't shoot it in the heart. I love not messing with anything internal till the last step so I can ensure clean meat. I do everything I can to protect the hams from blood and anything else to cause issues. I have seen the drive to the processor with an ungutted deer but that is just crazy to me.

What say the surl?

If y'all are doing a North approach back in to Austin on Highway 29 through Liberty Hill, I can heartily recommend Hunters Creek, a couple of miles north of the Highway 29 and US 183 intersection (Seward's Junction) on US 183 north of 3405.  These guys do a great job -- they have a big picture window where you can watch the processing and it's easy to see how they make sure that the deer you bring in is the deer that you end up with.  They also have a pretty cool video system that lets you check in a deer after hours.  Link:  https://hunterscreekprocessing.com/

Cole is good people. Taken him many deer. Their slim jims are pretty good.

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am wondering how people get to a quartered deer. I used to field dress then skin and hang or throw it in the cooler to hang. I have gone to a new method on my place. Due to the fact I can have the deer fully quartered in 30 min or less assuming a clean kill, I don't gut in the field anymore. I take it back to camp asap, hang by the hind legs and have it quartered out in 10 min or less. I get all the meat off the deer I can before dumping the guts out of the rib cage and either keeping the rib meat if possible or just dumping it if I didn't shoot it in the heart. I love not messing with anything internal till the last step so I can ensure clean meat. I do everything I can to protect the hams from blood and anything else to cause issues. I have seen the drive to the processor with an ungutted deer but that is just crazy to me.

What say the surl?

I quarter a lot of deer and never gut them, especially when it is cooler.  Skin, back straps, hams, then take tenderloins out from the back, and move on.

32 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Search air skin deer. Pretty fun videos to watch.

Best skinning fail I ever witnessed was a guy who decided he was smarter than everyone and was going to pull off the hide with his truck.  Tied off to his hitch and proceeded to pull a entire skinning rack over onto his truck.  In the time it took him to create and then fix his cluster fuck, multiple deer were skinned and quartered on the adjacent rack.

12 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I quarter a lot of deer and never gut them, especially when it is cooler.  Skin, back straps, hams, then take tenderloins out from the back, and move on.

Same - always called it the "gutless" method and it's what I use when processing myself, especially when harvesting does.  

7 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Best skinning fail I ever witnessed was a guy who decided he was smarter than everyone and was going to pull off the hide with his truck.  Tied off to his hitch and proceeded to pull a entire skinning rack over onto his truck.  In the time it took him to create and then fix his cluster fuck, multiple deer were skinned and quartered on the adjacent rack.

Prior group of hunters we had did something like this.  They had a giant metal-pipe stand.  They'd hoist the deer up and get it anchored in.  They had a jeep winch welded to the bottom.  Once they got the skin started, they'd wrap a portion in a tennis ball, and viola - it would just peel off like skinning a catfish.  

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Yeah but you can't get good deer camp stories without trying out new hair brained ideas! 

I asked this in the help forum but it was suggested that I come here.

Any suggestions on a game camera that I can use around the house?  I am trying to help a neighbor lady deal with some sort of infestation, likely raccoons, but I want to make sure I get them all once I start trapping. Also I just want to see what else is cruising around the neighborhood besides a shit ton of deer.  

What I need is a camera with longer duration night video, and probably a closer focal point that your would use on a real trail cam.  I figure once I kill off the varmints, I can take big buck pics as they drink from the pond in the front courtyard area.   I don't want to spend a ton, but will spend for the right features.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

13 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I asked this in the help forum but it was suggested that I come here.

Any suggestions on a game camera that I can use around the house?  I am trying to help a neighbor lady deal with some sort of infestation, likely raccoons, but I want to make sure I get them all once I start trapping. Also I just want to see what else is cruising around the neighborhood besides a shit ton of deer.  

What I need is a camera with longer duration night video, and probably a closer focal point that your would use on a real trail cam.  I figure once I kill off the varmints, I can take big buck pics as they drink from the pond in the front courtyard area.   I don't want to spend a ton, but will spend for the right features.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR

So, the way I understand this is that you're trying to find a video camera to spy on the hot neighbor lady?  I'm CERTAIN there is someone around here who can help you with that.

15 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Its still like living amongst the Plains Indians in my household. CHIEF Jr. and I field dress them at the lease, then, bring the deer home and Mrs. CHIEF takes over. By the time we get them skinned to the neck, she already has the backstraps, tenderloins, and front shoulders removed, then, CHIEF Jr. and I sit back and watch the show. She lets nothing go to waste.

She bones out the shoulders and hindquarters:

Cuttinghindquarters.png

This is all that is left:

OlRed.png

I sleep with one eye open. She is definitely not someone you want to meet in a dark alley late at night.

CHIEF

So you married a Dexter?

I am seriously impressed.

We shoot a lot of deer, so I rarely quarter them up.  I hang them in a cooler.  Then on a cool or cold day, wrap it in a tarp in the back of my truck and take to the processor.  Or call the local folks and let them know to come get what they want.  We give away probably 150 deer a year to local blue collar folks.  Get a Mexican family out there and they can efficiently quarter up a walk in cooler full of deer and have a bunch of meat for the year in a hot minute.

• Hook 'Em 1