Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

It should have gotten us a Super Bowl appearance that season. But we get to the GB game and we become a pass it all over the field team. 3rd and 1 and we pass to the endzone. Remember, that 2016 team was the same exact team from 2015 that went 4-12. Insert Zeke and we are now at 13 wins. So because we wasted his talents early on now makes it  a wrong pick?Doesn't work like that. Dallas had an offense that was built around a workhorse RB. Zeke was infinitely more valuable than a DB at the time. It was a no brainer and it worked. Right away to the tune of a #1 seed instantly.

Hope ain't a strategy.  It's the misallocation of assets, no matter how bad you think "it should have gotten us" to blah, blah, blah.  

Here are RBs drafted in the top 15 the last 15 years:

Ronnie Brown

Cedric Benson

Cadillac Williams

Reggie Bush

Adrian Peterson

Marshawn Lynch

Darren McFadden

Jonathan Stewart

Knowshon Moreno

_________________________ 2010 (2011 Rookie Wage Scale is Adopted)

CJ Spiller

Trent Richardson

Todd Gurley

Melvin Gordon

Ezekial Elliott

Leonard Fournette

Christian McCaffery

Saquon Barkley

Now there are a lot of really good players on that list.  Name the SB winners with the teams that drafted them.  Name the players who went on to a 2nd team within 6 years of their careers.  Name the terrible 2nd contracts.  Did the rookie wage scale exacerbate the issue or correct it?  It's very easy and doesn't take a rocket scientist.  Drafting a RB with finite resources in the top 15 and especially in the top 10 is stupid.  It generally leads to an albatross of a 2nd contract if they produce or just an outright cut within 5 years in today's NFL.  Gurley got to a SB but it was with a rookie contract QB, rookie contract WR, and generational DL talent on his rookie deal too. Nothing is impossible, but you have to luck out everywhere else and have good coaching.  Taking RBs in the top half of the first is a bad idea, Zeke was no different.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

But but but Dalton is going to bring us back to our roots. Ball control. Zeke/Pollard are going to shine. Dalton is going to get so much more out of the WRs because how accurate he is. Defense is going to be better now with the magician Dalton out there.

That is all I heard all week. Dumb asses like Jimmy and Dungy said this same exact thing. Dungy literally said this was a blessing in disguise that Dak was hurt and Dalton is playing.

Lmao. But no surprise after that god awful game by Dalton and the offense, I see excuses and the goal posts have moved not only across the field, to another city now that we saw what Dalton has. Dak got blamed for scoring how much he did and having us in position to win every game. Her overcame every single mistake. Dalton's offense has 3 points with 2minutes left and all I see is excuses. Which raises the point that was always there. Those people have a real agenda against Dak. They hate him and deep down was happy when he was injured. They won't admit it because no one ever does that but they did. There's no other explanation why there are now different rules for Dalton when those people told us how much better this offense would be with Dalton.

I mean we know the answer for some of these people.  

14 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
18 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
LT Brandon Knight is expected to miss a few weeks.
Lmao. This shit is just comical at this point. Fat McCarthy may have to suit up to play OL one game. Didn't Jerry used to play OL? Suit him up!

So this week we're going to roll with our 4th and 5th string tackles on the offensive line. This is nuts.

Try 5th and 6th. (Tyron, Collins, Irving, Knight)Maybe 6th and 7th if you include Hyatt

I feel bad for Dalton. This is not what he signed up for at all. He signed up to be a backup that might have to spot start for a durable Dak, behind an offensive line that when healthy is still one of the better olines. He’s not signing here if he thinks there’s ANY chance that he’s playing for the majority of the season behind this offensive line.

If he looked decent in spot duty, he had an outside chance of getting into a situation where there’s would be a qb controversy at the very least. That might have happened even if he never even played. Now he’s going to look like dog shit while playing in games with a national spotlight. His slim chances of being s starter are done. 

28 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I feel bad for Dalton. This is not what he signed up for at all. He signed up to be a backup that might have to spot start for a durable Dak, behind an offensive line that when healthy is still one of the better olines. He’s not signing here if he thinks there’s ANY chance that he’s playing for the majority of the season behind this offensive line.

If he looked decent in spot duty, he had an outside chance of getting into a situation where there’s would be a qb controversy at the very least. That might have happened even if he never even played. Now he’s going to look like dog shit while playing in games with a national spotlight. His slim chances of being s starter are done. 

Yea, he may have been able to insert himself into a bridge situation whereby he gets 1 season out in the sun to start before a rookie supplants him.  I do think being close to home and probably building relationships for a future coaching gig is still valuable for him but Red Rifle was never meant to go out and try to win but a game or two in a short-term starting situation this year.  I think Collins injury is probably the most surprising and to give 0 starts is a killer.  Frederick had retired, Tyron has had worrisome issues with his neck and back.  It truly is some bad luck for all these guys to get hurt but also not having any reasonable OT backups is probably a big miss by the front office/coaching staff.  Cam Erving kinda sucks so pressed into starters snaps, it would probably look similar with him at RT or LT over time.  Remember when we had Chaz Green!  

If we are bad enough (and we probably are) and get fortunate, we may get a top 3-4 pick, and Penei Sewell is considered the best OT prospect in several years.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

43 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
2 hours ago, Drew said:
Try 5th and 6th. (Tyron, Collins, Irving, Knight)Maybe 6th and 7th if you include Hyatt

Tyron and Collins are both starters. Cam Erving was their backup. You start counting from him.

I was counting how many tackles total they've gone through. Tyron, Collins, Irving, Knight, maybe Hyatt, so they'd be starting their 6th and 7th best tackles right?

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

It should have gotten us a Super Bowl appearance that season. But we get to the GB game and we become a pass it all over the field team. 3rd and 1 and we pass to the endzone. Remember, that 2016 team was the same exact team from 2015 that went 4-12. Insert Zeke and we are now at 13 wins. So because we wasted his talents early on now makes it  a wrong pick?Doesn't work like that. Dallas had an offense that was built around a workhorse RB. Zeke was infinitely more valuable than a DB at the time. It was a no brainer and it worked. Right away to the tune of a #1 seed instantly.

There were a significant number of people on this board who hated that pick they day it happened. In fact many of us hated the pick during the lead up to that draft because there was a lot of discussion about Zeke as the draft neared. Zeke was an elite RB from about 2016-2018, but again you don't spend the highest pick you've had in 30 years on a running back. Especiallyn not when you spent the previous 4 or 5 drafts building your Oline into a dominant force. No matter how great Zeke was he wasn't that much better than a 2nd round RB (Henry) than the difference between a great CB (Ramsey) and an average CB. 

6 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Zeke was picked to win for Romo's last couple of years.  It was nothing but a short term decision, and you could argue that it worked as Mackey points out.  They didn't have Romo but they got great play from rookie Dak and were one of the best teams that year.  Now extending him was absolutely retarded.  In hindsight, 4 years later,  all short term decisions are going to look terrible compared to their long term counterparts. 

Wasting your highest slot draft pick in 30 years on a short term option is beyond idiotic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

There were a significant number of people on this board who hated that pick they day it happened. In fact many of us hated the pick during the lead up to that draft because there was a lot of discussion about Zeke as the draft neared. Zeke was an elite RB from about 2016-2018, but again you don't spend the highest pick you've had in 30 years on a running back. Especiallyn not when you spent the previous 4 or 5 drafts building your Oline into a dominant force. No matter how great Zeke was he wasn't that much better than a 2nd round RB (Henry) than the difference between a great CB (Ramsey) and an average CB. 

There is no world where you take a rb over the top corner in the draft. I remember a lot of people saying we should take Ramsey in the first and Henry in the 2nd since he was pretty much the consensus next best rb prospect that year if I remember correctly. Yeah, probably should’ve done that. I know Henry didn’t start strong, but I would imagine he would’ve been pretty good behind that dominate oline.

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

There is no world where you take a rb over the top corner in the draft. I remember a lot of people saying we should take Ramsey in the first and Henry in the 2nd since he was pretty much the consensus next best rb prospect that year if I remember correctly. Yeah, probably should’ve done that. I know Henry didn’t start strong, but I would imagine he would’ve been pretty good behind that dominate oline.

He didn't start strong because their line sucked and they had no outside threats. Unlike us.

Zeke has only five 20+ yard runs in the last 22 regular season games. Compared to Henry who's had 11 (with four 40+. yard runs mixed in there). The Cowboys made an epic mistake with that pick on a number on a number of levels. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Even if you needed a RB (which we did), you could have gotten Kenyan Drake in the 3rd.  You know..... they guy who almost rushed for almost 200 yards vs us last week.  It's not if Zeke is a better RB than Drake.  He is.  It's was a Ramsey or Stanley or Buckner and Henry better than Zeke/Smith.  Or even those guys and Drake better than Zeke and Maliek Collins, who we took in the 3rd.  Collins is so bad, he's apparently available for a last day pick right now and may be cut.

57 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He didn't start strong because their line sucked and they had no outside threats. Unlike us.

Zeke has only five 20+ yard runs in the last 22 regular season games. Compared to Henry who's had 11 (with four 40+. yard runs mixed in there). The Cowboys made an epic mistake with that pick on a number on a number of levels. 

They also inexplicably traded for DeMarco Murray.  I mean imagine a draft of Ramsey, Chris Jones, and Drake rather than Zeke, Smith and Collins?  Is some of that revisionist?  Somewhat, but taking Ramsey over Zeke certainly was not.  Then go get your RB later..... Henry signed for 40 million less than Zeke on his 2nd contract.  JFC.  Talk about an idiotic front office.

Then there's this...... smfh.  Can any of those guys play OT or DT?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

36 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Even if you needed a RB (which we did), you could have gotten Kenyan Drake in the 3rd.  You know..... they guy who almost rushed for almost 200 yards vs us last week.  It's not if Zeke is a better RB than Drake.  He is.  It's was a Ramsey or Stanley or Buckner and Henry better than Zeke/Smith.  Or even those guys and Drake better than Zeke and Maliek Collins, who we took in the 3rd.  Collins is so bad, he's apparently available for a last day pick right now and may be cut.

They also inexplicably traded for DeMarco Murray.  I mean imagine a draft of Ramsey, Chris Jones, and Drake rather than Zeke, Smith and Collins?  Is some of that revisionist?  Somewhat, but taking Ramsey over Zeke certainly was not.  Then go get your RB later..... Henry signed for 40 million less than Zeke on his 2nd contract.  JFC.  Talk about an idiotic front office.

Kareem Hunt was also in that draft if I’m not mistaken. Pretty sure Aaron Jones was drafted in the 5th a year later. Eckler undrafted. You just can’t take a rb at 4. I remember thinking it was a dumb decision, but immediately after I think I was like everyone when I saw how special Zeke was his rookie year. Kept telling myself Zeke might just be a Marshawn Lynch type of guy that’s just good into his late 20s. Now it’s gotten to the point where if he does legitimately have the fumbling yips, his career as a starting rb will be over soon. I’m honestly kind of shocked that Pollard isn’t splitting carries at this point.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Totally forgot about DeMarco Murray being there during Henry's first 2 years. Forget what I said early. Murray was obviously the primary reason for Henry's slow start to his career. 

Got this from another board. Charles Haley was on Michael Irvin's podcast and Haley gave his thoughts about Dallas. 

"1) It's not the coaches, it's the players they are gutless.
2) D Law is no leader
3) Jaylon has not recovered from his foot injury
4) Dalton was a poor signing and has never shown he can handle the spotlight.
5) Recounted a bizarre story from last season when a Cowboys coach on DEF tried to explain to a player (who I think is still on the team) what he needed to improve and the player just walked out of the room.
6) Thinks nothing can be done for this season, need a complete overhaul of personnel "

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Lol it’s a pickem but Washington is currently a -1 favorite. When was the last time Washington was favored over us. Hell, isn’t Seattle the only team we’ve lost to that we weren’t favored against this year? What a shit show.

I dunno. What I do know is the Cowboys are 0-6 vs the spread in 2020.

On 10/20/2020 at 3:44 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Juxtapose that against the Steelers' franchise and the 3 coaches they've had over the last 50 years. They have a culture that can't help but produce success while we're saddled with being fans of an org that only measures success by the $s they make. The same can be said of the college football team we all support. 

jerrah GIF by SB Nation

19 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Just look at the smartest franchises. 

Go out and throw big money or resources at Stephon Gilmore, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Marlon Humphrey etc

Let guys like Leveon Bell leave after their rookie deals. 

CBs and OTs are way more valuable.

I like how the Cowboys continue to trash safety importance yet every time they play a team with a great safety that guy kills them

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Fuck yeah playoffs!!!!

122469486_10158972971281263_618578582107

122015907_10158969479666263_635851750711

I didn't realize that the GB loss put them behind Chicago?  Not that I'd give them any chance of beating either team.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lulz. Dak still the leader in passing yards through week 6

122011543_10158967756506263_633920749490

Yeah but "meaningless stats in a 1 score game" or some shit.

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I can’t even imagine how badly Green Bay would kick the shit out of us. 

I can.  It aint pretty Bob.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

I didn't realize that the GB loss put them behind Chicago?  Not that I'd give them any chance of beating either team.

I think it’s either a common opponent thing, or record in the conference. Chicago beat TB the week prior to GB facing them, and Chicago’s only loss was to Indy. But yeah, both teams would fucking destroy us even though I still think the bears are frauds.

5 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think it’s either a common opponent thing, or record in the conference. Chicago beat TB the week prior to GB facing them, and Chicago’s only loss was to Indy. But yeah, both teams would fucking destroy us even though I still think the bears are frauds.

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Ah damn, forgot Chicago beat the Bucs.  

It’s not a tiebreaker. The bears are 5-1 and the Packers are 4-1. 

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I want to say at least we have one young defensive players with a promising future, but history tells me he’ll probably regress within the next 3 years

he will regress but still hold out after year three and jerry will give him 5 for 75 right before the first regular season game. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jerry not happy with Jane Slater this morning lulz

If you can find the audio it's funny shit. He was all pissed and cussing at his flagship radio hosts calling the reporter not credible and you could hear the poor guys trying to think of how to respond. Then after the call every show replayed it and blasted Jerry as inept. I guess since he already burned the bridge with the ticket and espn is run by the cumulus ticket management he doesn't have anywhere else to go so now has to just take it. What a dipshit

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, futureman said:

the shows on the fan were calling him inept?

Yes. He and his son for making bad decisions on who to pay, bad decisions on drafting defense, and a poor handling of this situation. That as long as making money is more important to him than winning they'll keep having these problems.