Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

I'm asking myself how many more signs from the universe/a higher power telling this dumb organization to tank for a top pick to restart the rookie QB pay scale window do they need? They will never win with an expensive QB because they don't draft well enough to keep up, especially on defense. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, for those of you that still feel like our record is 100% on our defense and the offense doesn’t shoulder any blame at all, 3 turnovers yesterday, 17 points off of those turnovers. So we still lead the league in turnovers, and turnover differential. 8 of those turnovers have been in the first half, and it’s the main reason we are down in games. It’s the main thing that you look at and say, there’s no way this should be happening at all. Our defense sucks. It blows my mind that this offense leads the league in turnovers and they’re mostly in the first half when we aren’t in comeback mode.

If we could ever just fucking play with a lead, I’d be curious to see what our pass rusher would look like. It’s a bad defense. But the strength was supposed to be the pass rush. The giants scored 20 points when they get to drive the length of the field. It really is a shame we couldn’t get off to better starts this year with Dak, because I think that would’ve fixed a lot of the problems with this team. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

On a completed unrelated note, I’ve already prepared myself for the giants getting the #1 pick and drafting Trevor Lawrence, and returning to prominence within the next 2-3 years. I was hoping Jones would be good enough but he’s awful. We play the NFC west and the AFC north, probably the two best divisions in football. The giants are losing 13 games at minimum and I think they’re looking more like 1-15. 

Why is everyone so sold that Trevor Lawrence is going to be some stud who changes the face of some shitty team? We hear this shit every year about these can't miss guys. It's hard to even judge him seeing 90% of his games are against such inferior talent where Clemson's stacked team just out talents the other team. You can't do that at this level. He could very well be a huge bust.

And don't count out the Jets. They are even worse than the Giants. Falcons are also 0-5. 

Giants play in the shitty NFC East. They could easily win some of their remaining divisional games. The Jets could legit go 0-16. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why is everyone so sold that Trevor Lawrence is going to be some stud who changes the face of some shitty team? We hear this shit every year about these can't miss guys. It's hard to even judge him seeing 90% of his games are against such inferior talent where Clemson's stacked team just out talents the other team. You can't do that at this level. He could very well be a huge bust.

And don't count out the Jets. They are even worse than the Giants. Falcons are also 0-5. 

Giants play in the shitty NFC East. They could easily win some of their remaining divisional games. The Jets could legit go 0-16. 

I think he’s a better qb prospect than kyler, baker, josh Allen, etc. I think he’s easily the best qb prospect to come out in the last handful of years. He’s super mobile, he’s accurate, from a prospect standpoint he’s the total package. Doesn’t mean he’ll be a good qb in the nfl, but he isn’t exactly daniel Jones or Dwayne Haskins. Let’s put it that way.

39 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Also, for those of you that still feel like our record is 100% on our defense and the offense doesn’t shoulder any blame at all, 3 turnovers yesterday, 17 points off of those turnovers. So we still lead the league in turnovers, and turnover differential. 8 of those turnovers have been in the first half, and it’s the main reason we are down in games. It’s the main thing that you look at and say, there’s no way this should be happening at all. Our defense sucks. It blows my mind that this offense leads the league in turnovers and they’re mostly in the first half when we aren’t in comeback mode.

If we could ever just fucking play with a lead, I’d be curious to see what our pass rusher would look like. It’s a bad defense. But the strength was supposed to be the pass rush. The giants scored 20 points when they get to drive the length of the field. It really is a shame we couldn’t get off to better starts this year with Dak, because I think that would’ve fixed a lot of the problems with this team. 

They only had 2 turnovers yesterday.

Well you could see the offense eventually righting the ship outside of OT but the defense is mostly hopeless.

We supposed to think Chido or Randy Gregory are gonna turn it all around? NYG had not scored a TD in three weeks and they looked fairly competent yesterday. And that was the best defensive effort this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Well you could see the offense eventually righting the ship outside of OT but the defense is mostly hopeless.

We supposed to think Chido or Randy Gregory are gonna turn it all around? NYG had not scored a TD in three weeks and they looked fairly competent yesterday. And that was the best defensive effort this season. 

I find it funny that some people are now propping up DLaw and Jaylon. It took playing the worst offense in football to make plays and even at that, they moved the ball pretty easily. DLaw registered his first sack in 13 games. Neat. They are still a bottom feeding unit.

The difference in the offense making mistakes vs the defense is the offense rights their wrongs by making plays to offset their mistakes. The defense never does not. They have 3 turnovers in 5 games. 1 single pick. So often, teams just drive the ball on them. Even if they do force a punt, it's after a string of 1st downs and now the field has flipped. How many times does 2nd and long turn into 3rd and easily manageable because they leave guys wide open for easy gains? Or 2nd and longs turn into 1st down because of stupid penalties. The list goes on.

They are one of the least active defenses I have ever seen. They don't make plays on the ball. They aren't forcing many mistakes at all. Every QB feels comfortable playing us. We get ran on at will. They are soft.

And now the special teams are making mistakes week after week. Gifted them 3pts yesterday with a bone headed 12 men on the field.

Overall, this team is stupid and sloppy. 

14 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

oh I agree. That’s part of my point. It’s a shame we could start righting that ship while Dak was here, because I think we’re probably 3-2 at the very worst. Maybe even 4-1. If we cut down on the turnovers. And at that point, even with a bad defense I think the offense would’ve been plenty enough to get to 10 wins. 

13 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

The difference in the offense making mistakes vs the defense is the offense rights their wrongs by making plays to offset their mistakes. The defense never does not. They have 3 turnovers in 5 games. 1 single pick. So often, teams just drive the ball on them. Even if they do force a punt, it's after a string of 1st downs and now the field has flipped. How many times does 2nd and long turn into 3rd and easily manageable because they leave guys wide open for easy gains? Or 2nd and longs turn into 1st down because of stupid penalties. The list goes on.

But I think that’s part of what makes it so frustrating. You see how the offense starts rolling when the pressure is on, and you know that’s there. You know they have the potential to be a top offense. That’s why the turnovers are so baffling. It would be one thing if we were middle of the pack, or early 20s in terms of ranking. We have more turnovers than any team, and more often than not they happen when the game is tied or were down one score. I’m not going to do the research, but I would love to know if there’s ever been a team with an above .500 record through 5 weeks when they lead the league in turnovers during that time. It just isn’t going to happen. That’s easily the most correctable thing about this team, and it’s the thing that should be corrected before anything. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Andy was getting somewhat beat up and brittle on his last legs in Cinci. And I don't think his offensive line was ever as bad as this one. I'm waiting for Vegas to set the over and under on games he plays before getting knocked out.

And with the horrific Cowboys defense, he will be coming from behind more than he ever did,. more drop backs more throwing while being hit.

McCarthy should know the successful 2014 Cowboys formula. It had his team beaten until Dez dropped it.

The offense was definitely part of the problem, but by no means was it even close to the biggest problem. Yes limiting turnovers will help greatly but that's not the main reason they were down every game.  Not when the defense gives up points on every single drive it seems.

But we're still expecting the offense to play near perfect to even have a chance of winning games.  It'd be one thing if the defense stunk but still only gave up points on 6 out of 10 drives...but they're giving up points on 8-10 out of 10 drives.  The offense, no matter how good, can't keep pace with that.

That's why this nonsense about "protect your defense by slowing the game down" is ridiculous.  All it means is that Dallas will have less drives to score on while also giving up the same percentage of drives ending in points on defense.  So instead of losing shootouts 41-38/38-31 we'll be losing 24-20 or 26-24.  

So basically, sure...the defense won't look AS bad, but in reality it still will be just without giving up the point totals while limiting our scoring opportunities in the process...

Having said that, with Dalton, that probably is the smartest thing to do. So I suspect we'll see that in the future.  Can't let Murray just run them ragged 13 times on offense next week. 

Edited by Drew

Offense doesn’t need to be near perfect. It just cant turn it over more than anyone in the league. It needs to be somewhere closer to the middle of the pack, considering the talent we have. We can’t use the excuse of “well when you’re coming back all the time”. The offense needs to be what it’s supposed to be. The oline is bad right now, but outside of the self inflicted fumble I thought Dalton was better than what I was expecting. We can win games with a bad defense. We can’t win games with a bad defense if we’re turning it over more than anyone. One side shouldn’t be doing what they’re doing because we have the talent on that side of the ball. The defense is worse than what we thought, in part because of the injuries, but also because it just isn’t talented. Our best player on that side of the ball is a guy who hasn’t played in 5 years. On offense we have plenty of guys that teams around the league would covet. Stop turning it over and we will win games, even with Dalton. But it could’ve been special with Dak if we weren’t turning it over like this. Gotta cut that down to middle of the pack.

And I know I’m just repeating myself. I’ll stop lol. This was a rough football weekend.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

7 minutes ago, DougO said:

Andy was getting somewhat beat up and brittle on his last legs in Cinci. And I don't think his offensive line was ever as bad as this one. I'm waiting for Vegas to set the over and under on games he plays before getting knocked out.

And with the horrific Cowboys defense, he will be coming from behind more than he ever did,. more drop backs more throwing while being hit.

McCarthy should know the successful 2014 Cowboys formula. It had his team beaten until Dez dropped it.

Agree, we probably need to go to more of a ball control strategy.  Issue will be with this defense and ST, can we hang around long enough to employ it or will we fall behind so fast (as we've been doing) to necessitate putting Dalton is situations in situations which wouldn't play to his strengths.  When he was playing really well he typically had to throw the ball less than 30ish times.  

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

When you start a sentence off with such a ridiculous assertion as the above it's obvious you're not interested in any sort of serious discussion. 

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

When you start a sentence off with such a ridiculous assertion as the above it's obvious you're not interested in any sort of serious discussion. 

This guy has never made a hyperbolic statement in his entire life. Not one time. Because if he ever did, he would’ve probably picked up on that just like everyone else did.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah I'm not sold on Trevor Lawrence  either. Physically he's unrivaled, but the jury is still out on how elite he is in the mentally. As with most QBs his success will largely depend on what team drafts him, but I'm not sold on him being a surefire thing although I understand being tantalized by his physical traits.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Hey I'm known for that in here.  The offense has never been blameless...but even despite the turnovers, the offense kept doing it's job at an historic rate for 4 games.  

All I have said is they've never been out of the game because of the offense, good or bad.  The defense and ST shoulders most of the blame STILL IMO.

Also, I didn't say you expect the offense to be perfect...but the team and fan base is overall by expecting them to basically play mistake free complete in order to even have  a chance of winning games.  Basically if the Offense makes a mistake than all of sudden some want to blame them mostly for losses.

I'm sorry, but when a defense is getting torched on the ground and in the air like they are, they don't get a pass.  Even if they have to deal with short fields some of the time.  They're still giving up a bunch of long TD drives as well.

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah I'm not sold on Trevor Lawrence  either. Physically he's unrivaled, but the jury is still out on how elite he is in the mentally. As with most QBs his success will largely depend on what team drafts him, but I'm not sold on him being a surefire thing although I understand being tantalized by his physical traits.  

100%. With qbs more than any other position. I still don’t think we have any idea what Sam Darnold is. You get drafted by Adam gase and an incompetent jets organization that can’t put talent around you. You have no shot at succeeding like that. He may not be good, but I don’t think there’s any way you could know for sure yet. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, futureman said:

what are y’all gonna do when the offense is significantly better with a cool, smart, red-headed gunslinger taking the snaps? 

I’m the history of Andy Dalton, I don’t think anyone has ever called him cool. Maybe not even while he was at Katy HS

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

Tony Dungy is a super bowl winning coach.  he thinks dak getting hurt is a “blessing in disguise” and we will be a better team going forward.  how many of you have super bowl rings?  none of you?  ok then. 

Futureman I used to think you sucked but now after the past 2 weeks I believe you know things surely couldn't imagine