Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These talking heads with their antiquated thinking are stupid.

Running the ball more slows the game down yes...the problem isn't the pace of the game.  The problem is the defense gives up scores on 4 out every 5 drives.  That's not changing just because they run the ball more.

The yards given up per drive and points given up per drive will remain the same while the Cowboys scoring will go down as well with a lesser QB.

So yeah, the defense will "look" better by just giving up 320 yards and 27 points a game.  But the offense won't be able to match that every week.

The ONLY thing that changes is the defense getting healthy...getting LVE, Awuzie, gregory in, brown and diggs getting healthier...and all the defensive players getting more comfortable in the scheme which could make the defense better.  NOT because they ran the ball. And DAMN sure not because they got a different QB.

I hope they turn it around and win 8-9 games because the season will be better.  But the sooner they improve the defense and OL for next year when Dak comes back, the better.

we can talk in circles all you want, but I know one thing: andy dalton won that game on sunday.  and we’ll be better than 1-3 in our next four against a tougher schedule than dak faced.  it’s going to be very hard for y’all when everything I’ve said about dak will be confirmed this season.  get ready for a playoff run, dipshits. 

18 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Dalton ain't winning more than 5 games the rest of the year.

Not sure Dak would have, either, with this horrendous defense and patchwork OL that can't afford any more injuries.

Edited by DougO

54 minutes ago, DougO said:

If the Cowboys stumble to the NFC East championship it's going to cost them at least 10-12 spots in draft position. I can't root against them, but I'm kinda hoping the fecals go on a run, except for the 2 games with Dallas.

If you want the Eagles to go on a run and win it, you would need to root for them to accumulate as many wins against this shit division as they can. Even against us. The East plays the AFC North and NFC West this season. Both of those divisions are light years ahead of us so you can't expect them to get many wins from them. Rams have already swept this divis'on. Eagles did get a tie from the Bengals but they are easily the worst team in the North. They barely squeaked out a win against the Niners who is missing half their team and Wentz had 11pts in the final minutes. Those are the 2 worst teams from those respective divisions. 

If we beat the Eagles both times this year, I don't see how we don't win this shit ass division. We would then have to lose 2 of the 3 to the Skins and Giants. We are subpar but I don't think we are that bad where that happens. Even though the Giants could have and probably should have beaten us so who the hell knows.

This Arizona game will tell us a lot on where we really stand. They aren't great but better than anything we have in our division. They have playmakers on offense. Murray can make plays. And can run. Can we contain him? It will also be the first full game of Dalton and see what he can do when a team preps for him and his tendencies and how he progresses as the game goes on.

4 hours ago, DougO said:

If the Cowboys stumble to the NFC East championship it's going to cost them at least 10-12 spots in draft position. I can't root against them, but I'm kinda hoping the fecals go on a run, except for the 2 games with Dallas.

4 hours ago, DougO said:

Not sure Dak would have, either, with this horrendous defense and patchwork OL that can't afford any more injuries.

Agree on Both.  Only thing I can see is the Defense getting healthier and better in this system, while the OL kind of gels a bit once they stabilize who's starting and they go on a bit of a run.

I'm perfectly fine several top 70 picks to address the OL/Defense.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

If you want the Eagles to go on a run and win it, you would need to root for them to accumulate as many wins against this shit division as they can. Even against us. The East plays the AFC North and NFC West this season. Both of those divisions are light years ahead of us so you can't expect them to get many wins from them. Rams have already swept this divis'on. Eagles did get a tie from the Bengals but they are easily the worst team in the North. They barely squeaked out a win against the Niners who is missing half their team and Wentz had 11pts in the final minutes. Those are the 2 worst teams from those respective divisions. 

If we beat the Eagles both times this year, I don't see how we don't win this shit ass division. We would then have to lose 2 of the 3 to the Skins and Giants. We are subpar but I don't think we are that bad where that happens. Even though the Giants could have and probably should have beaten us so who the hell knows.

This Arizona game will tell us a lot on where we really stand. They aren't great but better than anything we have in our division. They have playmakers on offense. Murray can make plays. And can run. Can we contain him? It will also be the first full game of Dalton and see what he can do when a team preps for him and his tendencies and how he progresses as the game goes on.

All of the bolded.  If they find a way to keep up scoring with Arizona and find a way to win, I'll be impressed.  I'm not even saying they're going to shut the Cards down with their defense either.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Drew said:

Agree on Both.  Only thing I can see is the Defense getting healthier and better in this system, while the OL kind of gels a bit once they stabilize who's starting and they go on a bit of a run.

I'm perfectly fine several top 70 picks to address the OL/Defense.

All of the bolded.  If they find a way to keep up scoring with Arizona and find a way to win, I'll be impressed.  I'm not even saying they're going to shut the Cards down with their defense either.

The defense has a system?

I know this is a narrative that’s only true until it’s not, but Dalton used to be like cousins bin the sense that he couldn’t ever win primetime games or big games. But that was the same for cousins until he beat us in primetime, and then he went on to win several other big games, including the wildcard round in NO (something I have a hard time believing the cowboys would pull off). So I’ll be curious to see if he can break that trend and play a little looser. But it wouldn’t surprise me if he just looks like dog shit, even if I think he’ll be serviceable in other games.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

The defense has a system?

We really don't. Richard Sherman spoke on this last week. Nolan is all about deception and confusing the other team. We do so many things too often where we don't have an identity. Look to see how many players are still trying to get in the right spot right before the ball is snapped. This was the wrong system to implement with a new staff and hardly any training camp to get it right. They are still learning on the fly. They may settle in a tad as the season goes on but I doubt it will ever get to a level where we can expect any thing out of them.

We also need to get the special teams heads out of their asses. Every week it is something with them. Those 3pts they gifted the Giants the other day was huge as the game played out. Having us start at the 1 and 4 yard lines the 2 games before. Inexcusable shit. Pollard does not need to be returning kicks.

I watch other games and it seems most teams have someone on their kick return who has some burst and can make plays. Ours seem to be running in quicksand and we get tackled before we even get to the 20. I would rather kneel every single kick and start at the 25 at this point.

Here's some footage from Sunday's game on Jaylon.  He had a very good game after starting out the season as a ghost.  He still has issues taking on blocks and will sometimes run himself out of plays,  but he was much much better.  Tank graded out well too.  Scary thought is both had really good games and we still gave up 34 points (27 without the pick 6) to a team who came in averaging 11.5 points on the season.  But silver linings.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

dennis weening lol GIF by SBS6

Hey look, an idiot with a new show.

No Jerry isn't 100% to blame for Dak's Contract...but he isn't blameless.  I'd probably say 70-30 Jerry/Dak's team.

I'm sorry, but all reports were that the Years and Guarantees were the issues, NOT the yearly amount(which continues to get overblown as Cap Hit/Guarantees is all that really matters).  And Dallas was offering similar or lower Guarantees than Goff/Wentz got a year before(the market goes UP,  not Down), and then asking him to take a team friendly 5th year without actually paying him for that right?  

It wasn't about 35 per year vs 38 per year or whatever.  The Cowboys slapped Dak in the face with similar or lower offers than guys he's better than got a full year before he got offered.

But I do think Dak's side could have figured out some kind of compromise to get the deal done.  So yes, Jerry/Stephen IS more responsible but not solely.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

There is a “bonus” for being the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys. It gets paid in endorsements. How many Sleep Number commercials will Dak be in when he is the QB for JVille or Some other shitty team? I sure that Dak is regretting not taking that deal now.

22 minutes ago, Hate said:

There is a “bonus” for being the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys. It gets paid in endorsements. How many Sleep Number commercials will Dak be in when he is the QB for JVille or Some other shitty team? I sure that Dak is regretting not taking that deal now.

Tell that to his agent when he has to explain to other clients or potential clients that he got below market value for the starting qb of the Dallas fucking cowboys. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Tell that to his agent when he has to explain to other clients or potential clients that he got below market value for the starting qb of the Dallas fucking cowboys. 

Yep.  What he gets outside of his actual contact has NO bearing on his contract.  He's also getting those deals because he's pretty damned good.

Also, Dak isn't regretting not taking a bad deal right now. He's still getting the Franchise Tag OR a legit deal next offseason no matter what.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Drew said:

Yep.  What he gets outside of his actual contact has NO bearing on his contract.  He's also getting those deals because he's pretty damned good.

Also, Dak isn't regretting not taking a bad deal right now. He's still getting the Franchise Tag OR a legit deal next offseason no matter what.

He isn’t getting those deals if he’s the Titans starting qb, but yes. Being good is the first prerequisite. For as good as romo is, he’s not getting the game of the week every week on CBS if he wasn’t the cowboys starting qb. He’d have to work his way up the ranks and do a few jets v dolphins games for a few years 

42 minutes ago, Hate said:

Is he? He didn't end his career. Still got paid a lot this year and if Dallas franchises him again next year, he will get even more. He is going to get paid regardless. This isn't an Alex Smith injury. Surgery went fine and he will be ready to go next year. A deal is going to get done regardless.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Drew said:

this.   A knee or achilles or throwing shoulder would have been much more problematic than the ankle(even as bad as it was).

• Hook 'Em 2

What a great fucking thread. I understand Austin's Suicide Hotline is going to begin directing callers here to help them get past their depression.

Here's a Cowboy question. Where would we be if the Cowboys had gone after Texan Nick Foles when he left the Eagles. Surely Foles would have loved to play for Dallas. Would we be better off today? Salary cap-wise? 

8 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

What a great fucking thread. I understand Austin's Suicide Hotline is going to begin directing callers here to help them get past their depression.

Here's a Cowboy question. Where would we be if the Cowboys had gone after Texan Nick Foles when he left the Eagles. Surely Foles would have loved to play for Dallas. Would we be better off today? Salary cap-wise? 

I think he would play about as well as he’s played everywhere else besides Philly. The better question would’ve been tannehill in hindsight. He was very clearly a victim of Adam gase.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, DougO said:

Foles is kinda Drew Bledsoe LIte. Been there already, not a solution. He's a good guy to root for, though.

That’s pretty fucking disrespectful to Bledsoe and the career he had lol. Like, of all the players in my lifetime, I’ll probably have the hardest time explaining to my kids the story of nick foles. He really wasn’t even that good in high school, but sure enough westlake went on a run where he was just on fire in the postseason. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Eagles made the mistake of getting rid of Foles and hitching their wagon to the shit show of Wentz.

Wentz could probably be a good QB in the right system, but I don't think they have any idea how to use him. They think he's something he isn't and keep getting receivers that he can never get in sync with in a system he isn't good in. That's why he does his best with the TEs, short/middle range darts, not timing or throwing guys open.

26 minutes ago, DougO said:

Wentz could probably be a good QB in the right system, but I don't think they have any idea how to use him. They think he's something he isn't and keep getting receivers that he can never get in sync with in a system he isn't good in. That's why he does his best with the TEs, short/middle range darts, not timing or throwing guys open.

If the eagles kept Frank Reich as their OC, I feel like we’d still be talking about wentz as one of the future stars of the league. But apparently it was more Reich than Wentz, because that offense hasn’t looked the same since and Reich is clearly a pretty good head coach. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1